PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hoosiers win the Bucket!!!!!

Tom White
11-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Just in case anyone missed it, IU beat PU 27-24 on a 49 yard Field Goal Kick by Starr!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

:happydanc:dance::D:cheers::dance2::champions

Lord Helmet
11-17-2007, 08:50 PM
I missed it thanks to the Big Ten Network.

Way to gain fans!

tdubb03
11-18-2007, 05:38 AM
I'm a Purdue fan, but I still feel good about IU locking up #13.

And man has Painter gone south, I was thinking he was comparable to Orton, but obviously not.

microwave_oven
11-18-2007, 12:42 PM
What are everyone's opinions on the Joe Tiller era at Purdue? Anyone think that his time with the boilers is done?

Shade
11-18-2007, 01:02 PM
What are everyone's opinions on the Joe Tiller era at Purdue? Anyone think that his time with the boilers is done?

I would think so. Now that IU appears to have caught PU in football, there will probably be major changes coming in West Lafayette.

grace
11-18-2007, 02:18 PM
And man has Painter gone south, I was thinking he was comparable to Orton, but obviously not.

This year he's exactly the way Orton was his Senior year. Orton started out as a Heisman candidate (something I NEVER understood) and then tanked. That's the first thing I thought of when Painter started having all his problems. Damn, I miss Drew Brees. Hell, right now I'd take Billy Dickens.

Tom White
11-18-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm a Purdue fan

Well, THAT certainly explains a few things!

:)

BlueNGold
11-18-2007, 11:06 PM

Tiller improved the program, but I'm not sure how much longer he should stay. He earned a lot of slack bringing back the program...but he has spent most of that. I do think the year in year out mediocrity has set in. I think it's a close call at this point.

I would say that this loss should not play into his departure...whenever it is...because he has a very good record in the bucket game...9 out of the last 11 were Boiler victories.

brichard
11-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Tiller improved the program, but I'm not sure how much longer he should stay. He earned a lot of slack bringing back the program...but he has spent most of that. I do think the year in year out mediocrity has set in. I think it's a close call at this point.

I would say that this loss should not play into his departure...whenever it is...because he has a very good record in the bucket game...9 out of the last 11 were Boiler victories.

Just a word of caution for Purdue fans... be careful what you wish for. Bill Mallory brought some respect to IU football when I went to school there. Yes... we beat Michigan and Ohio State during that time period. The program suffered some setbacks, including a very terrible last year, and he was yanked. Unfortunately for him, he became a victim of his own success.

As an IU fan, I have always been nervous playing Tiller's offense. He pumped in some respect to a program that was definitely on the ropes. He has some guys playing in the NFL, and should have the ability to recruit.

I'll tell you this, IU has suffered a major drought in the post-Mallory era and it has taken way longer for us to get back to bowl contention than many ever thought it would. Pushing him out may be the way to go, but I think he is a pretty good coach from what I've seen.

TheDon
11-19-2007, 01:21 AM
It's nice of Purdue to let the special kids win one every now and then. :D

Raoul Duke
11-19-2007, 04:47 AM
It's nice of Purdue to let the special kids win one every now and then. :D

The special kids have accomplished a lot more than the Boilers. Seriously Purdue fans, win something meaningful (a NCAA Championship) and you can start talking trash. You have a long way to go to being at IU's level.

IU is a basketball school and has proven that with 5 National Championships, numerous Big Ten championships, and many successful seasons.

Purdue claims to be a football school yet the best they can do is make it to a National Championship, they can't finish it.

TheDon
11-19-2007, 07:56 AM
IU has a good history no doubt, but nobody nowadays fears IU, just like nobody nowaday fears notre dame. Speaking of getting to national championships and not being able to finish all I got to say is "maryland terrapins". You know which school owns the overall series against one another in basketball and football? IU has the hardware to show for their accomplishments, but they're not quite as dominant over Purdue as some would like to believe.

I really do enjoy the rivalry, and it's all in good fun. There's definately a lot more IU fans on these forums than Purdue fans and it seems us Boilermaker fans get razzed over it more often then it is the other way around. The last post before was admittedly just stirrin the pot a bit, but I've seen many posts of the "oh you're from purdue well that explains a lot" variety, and after seeing a post celebrating after the 2nd win in 11 years just couldn't resist.

indygeezer
11-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Hey Boiler fans. Lloyd Carr is retiring today. Do me a favor and hire him to coach football.

:devil:

doesn't this belong on another board somewhere?

TheDon
11-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey Boiler fans. Lloyd Carr is retiring today. Do me a favor and hire him to coach football.

:devil:

:tongue:

Tom White
11-19-2007, 12:45 PM

You mean as opposed to a Piston fan and a Laker fan having a "discussion" about their two teams?

Naw.

Slick Pinkham
11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
It will take a lot more IU football victories to make me feel comfortable talking trash to anybody else.

I love all things IU and all, but I think that IU football is still at the very bottom, historically, in the Big 10 behind the 10 other schools and also behind the University of Chicago which was in the Big 10 early in the 20th century, at least in overall winning percentage. Yes, behind Northwestern, and by a lot.

The Mallory years were pretty good, a Peach Bowl or Bluebonnet Bowl or something like that most of the time, and it's taken a long while to get back close to that level again.

It's a great story, and I hope that they get a bid and win it. That can only help the program, those November/December practices and added visibility to recruits that the bowl brings.

If Kentucky can be decent in the SEC, there is no reason IU can't do as much in the Big 10.

Shade
11-19-2007, 01:29 PM
IU has a good history no doubt, but nobody nowadays fears IU, just like nobody nowaday fears notre dame. Speaking of getting to national championships and not being able to finish all I got to say is "maryland terrapins". You know which school owns the overall series against one another in basketball and football? IU has the hardware to show for their accomplishments, but they're not quite as dominant over Purdue as some would like to believe.

I really do enjoy the rivalry, and it's all in good fun. There's definately a lot more IU fans on these forums than Purdue fans and it seems us Boilermaker fans get razzed over it more often then it is the other way around. The last post before was admittedly just stirrin the pot a bit, but I've seen many posts of the "oh you're from purdue well that explains a lot" variety, and after seeing a post celebrating after the 2nd win in 11 years just couldn't resist.

I don't think anyone has ever feared IU football.

However, our 5 national championships (with a 6th appearance) and current #8 ranking tells me that at least some people fear our basketball program.

Trader Joe
11-19-2007, 01:38 PM

Right so we're 5-1 in NCAA Basketball championship games and Purdue is what exactly? Sorry, but IU basketball is still a big time program and now is back to being a consistent final four contending team.

microwave_oven
11-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Why is it that IU fans always bring up the basketball program when discussing football?

Raoul Duke
11-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Right so we're 5-1 in NCAA Basketball championship games and Purdue is what exactly? Sorry, but IU basketball is still a big time program and now is back to being a consistent final four contending team.

Exactly! I just brought up basketball because Purdue claims to be a football school yet they can't prove it like we have in basketball. While we may not have won any championships lately we've still had great teams and they were definitely still contenders. Purdue needs to win something before they can claim to be a football school.

You mean as opposed to a Piston fan and a Laker fan having a "discussion" about their two teams?

Naw.

YES! I don't understand this either. I'm sure Pistons Digest and Lakers Digest are available. These things aren't hard to set up.

Trader Joe
11-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Why is it that IU fans always bring up the basketball program when discussing football?

I didn't bring it up. I was responding to a Purdue fan's comment on our basketball program and further more I think you'll find that the original mention of IU basketball in this thread was made in response to a Purdue fan calling us the "special kids".

Tom White
11-19-2007, 04:13 PM

Because we don't remember how many soccer or swimming championships we have now?

indygeezer
11-19-2007, 04:15 PM

Naw.

No, I mean as opposed to every OT thread I ever start getting moved. :) :)

Shade
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM

Okay, fine.

http://cmsimg.indystar.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Dato=20071119&Kategori=SPORTS0601&Lopenr=711190439&Ref=AR&Q=80&MaxW=500&MaxH=400&Site=BG&Q=80&Border=0&Title=0

Better? :-p

microwave_oven
11-19-2007, 09:17 PM
yes that's fine shade...IU beat Purdue fair and square...IN FOOTBALL.

I just never see why it is necessary to bring up the basketball program when discussing football...and it always happens.

I am glad too see that IU and Purdue will be a rivalry again in both sports. Hopefully Purdue can find an up and coming coach to replace Tiller so Purdue and IU can become the elite of the big ten.

obnoxiousmodesty
11-19-2007, 11:16 PM
I think it's fascinating that there are fliers all over campus for firecoachtiller.com. They've been around for weeks; I can't believe they haven't been ordered pulled up by someone yet. Who thought that would be a good way to support the Purdue football team? Yikes.

indygeezer
11-19-2007, 11:45 PM
I think it's fascinating that there are fliers all over campus for firecoachtiller.com. They've been around for weeks; I can't believe they haven't been ordered pulled up by someone yet. Who thought that would be a good way to support the Purdue football team? Yikes.

There's always somebody wanting to fire the coach (Hmmm that'd make a great screenname Hmmm)

I can remember fliers in Ann Arbor exhorting people to fire Bo Schembechler of all people.