PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Thread #9 - Lost but with positives

bellisimo
11-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Team is showing some signs of life
JO and Murph had a good game
Sadly DunDun and DG just couldn't get it done in the offense....
we need to adjust our defense according to who we play - had to focus on defending the perimeter instead of the paint against this team...
gotta learn to make plays at the end of the half/qt/game - need to learn a few plays to run cause its been awful to see us try to come up with something...
that buzzer beater 3 pretty much changed the tempo in favor of Raps...
3rd QT is still our achilles heel - we can't seem to get back into groove after half-time...
and now tied for the current longest losing streak with the Warriors at 6 - they will play later on tonight.

Speed
11-16-2007, 10:34 PM
What is the offensive strategy in the last 8 or 9 minutes every game, honestly?

waterjater
11-16-2007, 10:36 PM
LOL, maybe its time the Pacers play the grind it out JO/JT ball to start the game and save their collective energy for the 2nd half and play the JOB ball movement game to close the game vs. start it. Big leads NEVER stay in the NBA anyway since refs keep the games close.

The reverse (Scoring a lot and early) certainly isn't working!

Water

bellisimo
What is the offensive strategy in the last 8 or 9 minutes every game, honestly?

we haven't reached that yet - so far we're upto halftime of gameplay...
or so it seems from the way the team is performing

Lord Helmet
You are aware this is the exact same squad who dropped 11 straight games last season, right? There's nothing to be positive about here in the midst of a 6 game skid. I don't understand this cheery bull**** that never has any substance provided by whoever criticizes those who are just looking at the facts.
Some postives:

Ball movement was great for most of the game, got stagnant at parts but was good for the most part.

JO played well and didn't fair too bad in the offense, providing 7 assists for the second time this year.

Murphy had a nice game also, it was good to see him knocking down some shots and getting to the line.

Sorry for being positive and clueless about how terrible this team really is.

(Should be in game thread but it closed.)

Lord Helmet
11-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Guys, please edit the title of this thread you are all just fooling yourselves if you saw any positive tonight.

bellisimo
11-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Guys, please edit the title of this thread you are all just fooling yourselves if you saw any positive tonight.

:laugh: :buddies:

ballboy got his shot back for most of the night - that should count for something..right?

maragin
11-16-2007, 10:39 PM
We lost to a better team tonight.

I think that'll be happening a lot this season.

bellisimo
11-16-2007, 10:42 PM
the only way to keep a sane mentality at this rate is to judge the gameplay and not the result - kinda like pre-season...

Cobol Sam
11-16-2007, 10:50 PM
I thought Jamaal Tinsley looked superb out there today. He hit BIG shots, he had great defense on Bosh, coming up with a few key steals. I liked what I saw from him.

We saw movement in the offense when JO got an entry pass, especially in the first half. In the second half a lot more work had to be done just to get JO the ball and it appeared the defense had already adjusted as he caught the ball.

Our wings are not consistent shooters. Unfortunately they are not great at beating their guy off the dribble either.

Jeff was great in this game as well in terms of early defense on Bosh and his offensive rebounding.

Murphy had a VERY nice game.

Freaking Calderon had 10 assists and 15 points on us. I hate this guy and his fingers.

Aw Heck
11-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Toronto is a good team.

I think if Ike Diogu plays, the Pacers win. The 2nd unit REALLY misses his post presence. Once he comes back, we probably won't see David Harrison again unless there's an injury or foul trouble.

JO looks to be getting back to his old self. Murphy played surprisingly well. Tinsley brought a lot to the offense, but left a lot to be desired on the defensive end. Diener finally had his shots fall.

As for the negatives, Dunleavy continues his disappearing act. And Granger is proving to be wildly inconsistent. Although he had some nice blocks in the game.

Maybe it's time to acquire another post threat. Because the team just goes to hell once JO leaves the game. Once again, this goes back to missing Ike as well. But maybe we should get another post threat for when the team is missing either Ike or JO. Without either of them, the team is just a bunch of jumpshooters, which is not hard to defend at all.

EDIT: Oh, and it seems like Daniels is only going to play every other game, which is a shame. I think we could really use his defense and slashing ability every night. I think he really would've helped tonight.

Cobol Sam
11-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Maybe it's time to acquire another post threat. Because the team just goes to hell once JO leaves the game. Once again, this goes back to missing Ike as well. But maybe we should get another post threat for when the team is missing either Ike or JO. Without either of them, the team is just a bunch of jumpshooters, which is not hard to defend at all.

The thing with this is that Troy Murphy should have been Shaq like when you consider the size of the guys guarding him. We could have had a post presence tonight with JO out if we chose to imho.

OnlyPacersLeft
11-16-2007, 10:54 PM
we just need to play a FULL 48 MINUTES! if we did that we'd win more games...I don't think i can stomach going 3-7...Uck

bellisimo
11-16-2007, 10:56 PM
The thing with this is that Troy Murphy should have been Shaq like when you consider the size of the guys guarding him. We could have had a post presence tonight with JO out if we chose to imho.

thats the thing - he disappeared towards the end of the 4th qt...would've been nice if he took some more shots - heck he was the only one making treys tonight

Cobol Sam
11-16-2007, 10:57 PM
thats the thing - he disappeared towards the end of the 4th qt...would've been nice if he took some more shots - heck he was the only one making treys tonight

I'm seriously not saying he was froze out, but how many touches do you remember Troy getting the last 5 minutes?

Aw Heck
11-16-2007, 10:58 PM
That's the thing though. He's not a post threat. He's a jumpshooter. Sure, he posted up some of the smaller guys and scored a couple times I think. But he can't score on other big men with any kind of regularlity.

What I'm talking about is getting another big man who can post up on other big men and score with some type of success.

Cobol Sam
11-16-2007, 11:00 PM
What I'm talking about is getting another big man who can post up on other big men and score with some type of success.

Another? Are you saying JO can do that? :devil:

Just kidding folks, the mans a beast.

bellisimo
11-16-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm seriously not saying he was froze out, but how many touches do you remember Troy getting the last 5 minutes?

after 5:35 - he has not taken another shot

Cobol Sam
11-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Hard to shoot when you don't get the rock.

BlueNGold
11-16-2007, 11:06 PM
JO looked a little better tonight in terms of movement and lift. That was the biggest positive of the game for me.

As for losing, I hope it continues. 3-79 would be fine for me. We need a new starting SG...coughEricGordoncough...anyway.

Cobol Sam
11-16-2007, 11:09 PM
JO looked a little better tonight in terms of movement and lift. That was the biggest positive of the game for me.

As for losing, I hope it continues. 3-79 would be fine for me. We need a new starting SG...coughEricGordoncough...anyway.

I think if the Pacers went 3-79 the Pacers Digest community would be about as dysfunctional as the astronaut community.

bellisimo
11-16-2007, 11:10 PM

with our luck we'd end up with like the 10th pick instead of the 1st :rolleyes:

ajbry
11-16-2007, 11:11 PM
I think if the Pacers went 3-79 the Pacers Digest community would be about as dysfunctional as the astronaut community.

Actually, we'd probably thrive like never before.

Cobol Sam
11-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Actually, we'd probably thrive like never before.

The whiners certainly would.

Trader Joe
11-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Eric Gordon FTW!

idioteque
11-17-2007, 12:38 AM
We looked much better in large parts of the game than we did versus Washington. Better ball movement, wings putting a real effort into the game, etcetera.

During the other half we looked as bad if not worse than in the Washington game. Too many guys (Dunleavy and Granger) standing around with their hands in their pockets, failing to take an active role in the game.

Obie's offense really stresses the play of the wings and Dunleavy and Granger simply weren't active enough at times, making them less than up to the task. I think fatigue from all the constant running in the offense definitely played a factor tonight. It would have been nice to have Marquis in there just to give Granger and Dunleavy a rest. They each played almost 40 minutes tonight. I'm hoping by midseason the wings start to get used to this offense, and have enough stamina to execute the offense efficiently for longer periods of time.

JO had a really nice game. He is definately starting to look more comfortable in the offense. And don't blame JO when the Pacers are playing JO ball, it's simply because the friggin wings are being lazy and JO is the only guy with the fortitude to take the ball to the basket.

Evan_The_Dude
11-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Just look at the bright side. By the last month of the season, we'll be begging for losses like this.

BoomBaby33
11-17-2007, 01:06 AM
:laugh: :buddies:

ballboy got his shot back for most of the night - that should count for something..right?

Yeah - more proof that he is too inconsistent to play PG for the Indiana Pacers.

Its 1 good game to 5-6 bad games.

Evan_The_Dude
11-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah - more proof that he is too inconsistent to play PG for the Indiana Pacers.

Its 1 good game to 5-6 bad games.

You can never be too inconsistent to play any position for the Indiana Pacers.

Unclebuck
11-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Finally I get to watch a game. I thought the Pacers looked pretty good. Pacers defensive system is designed to clog the middle and will give up some threes. So the raptors is a tough matchup. Pacers did a great job on Bosh and won the rebounding battle. Really the game was decided by the 3-pt shooting - so I can live with that.

Looked to me like the Pacers got tired as the game went along. raptors just wore us down and they are the better team especially on their home court.

BoomBaby33
11-17-2007, 01:24 AM
One thing that bothers me (and it did last year too), is that every team we play has 1-2 bottom feeder players come out of the woodwork to have their best game of the year against us.

Our perimeter defense absolutely stinks again this year. Other team's guards have their way with us. Dick Harter isn't performing any miracles yet with the Pacers this year.

My take on the positives: We seemed to be moving around on offense as a team better. Chris and Quinn mentioned that there was a heated discussion at practice yesterday - didn't say anymore, or who was involved. I liked to have been a fly on the wall. Maybe that sparked something because at least for the first 3 quarters we played with a purpose.

rexnom
11-17-2007, 01:26 AM
Eric Gordon FTW!
Hopefully we'll be saying that A LOT more in the future...

sweabs
11-17-2007, 01:34 AM
Got home from the game a couple hours ago.

Here are some reflections on the game...

Every time I see a game in person, I always come away with such a high opinion of Jeff Foster. This guy means so much to our team, it's scary. He is simply an outstanding post-defender...especially on a guy as versatile and quick as Bosh. Just an all around excellent job by him tonight. And the guy crashes the boards with the kind of hustle I love to see.

There's a reason Sam Mitchell put Kris Humphries into the game every time Jeff was returning to action. It was their only hope at trying to counteract the intensity/hustle Jeff was bringing all night long.

I was impressed with JO's play tonight. He was crashing the offensive glass in the first half. He certainly looked better tonight, although there were still times when Bosh just got a foot higher than him in the air. Yes, the ball movement slowed down IMMENSELY in the 4th quarter, and yes, JO was doing a lot of one-on-one stuff. A few of the Raptors fans sitting around me pointed that out as well (they were actually happy when he started his move, in anticipation that he would force/miss the shot). Either way, I want it to be noted that people were not cutting like they were in the first half. Sure, we dump the ball into JO often...but in the first half it seemed like people were cutting and moving. In the fourth quarter, that disappeared. I can only recall one play where Dunleavy cut to the basket and JO found him for the easy layup.

Speaking of which, I've got to give JO props for his passing this year. It's been great.

Dunleavy and Danny disappeared in the second half. This is starting to become a trend.

Tinsley took some stupid shots tonight. It was funny though, because every time he did, I actually blurted out something like "NO"...and every time I blurted something out, the shot would go in. So I kept doing it.

JO looked very frustrated when he was going off to the bench tonight. Not sure if it was dealing with foul trouble, or what the cause was.

Another huge thing I noticed tonight: perimeter defense was bad. Their point guards were easily able to penetrate and kick all night long. Speaking of which, Jose Caulderon is a starting PG on most NBA teams. The Raptors are very fortunate to have the PG rotation they do.

Anyway, I'm sure I have more to say, but it's too late right now and I need to get some sleep. The ACC is a tough place to play for any road team. I went to both games last year and those were 20+ point blowouts from what I remember...so we got it down to less this time! We're making improvements, guys!

Eindar
11-17-2007, 04:21 AM
Did anyone else feel like we were forcing it into JO too much in the second half? To me, it felt like all his touches in the first half were in a good position in the post or in motion towards the hoop before the defense could really set up. In the second half, it seems like they dictated with their defense that JO wasn't going to beat them, and we kept throwing it in there. I feel like we did fine when we weren't playing a facsimile of last year's offense.

I didn't expect to win this game, but I felt like if we'd have taken what the defense gave us in the second vs. making sure JO got his touches, we'd have had a better chance to win.

rexnom
11-17-2007, 04:35 AM
The thing is that I feel like it's not just "JO has to get his touches." Nobody else is really taking charge. This is why I haven't really jumped on JO. You can say that his offensive game just isn't good enough. Unfortunately, nobody else seems to have any good alternative options.

Rajah Brown
11-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Don't mean to pick on Granger (as I like the kid alot), but we saw
tonight why those who think he's a budding #1 option are out to
lunch. He's the perfect complimentary, #3 option on a very good
team.

He just doesn't have the natural skill-set as a scorer to be any
more than that.

OakMoses
11-17-2007, 09:04 AM
After watching this game, I came away with one general impression: Larry Bird wants us to be Toronto, but they've got much better shooters than we do.

Observations:

-Tinsley played his best game of the season, but is there anybody who watched the game that wouldn't rather have Jose Calderon as our PG?

-JO played great in the first half.

-Really, the whole team played great in the first half.

-Murphy didn't shoot in the last 5 minutes largely because Tins was going one-on-one against Calderon. He was getting himself pretty good shots though.

-If Dun and Granger aren't going to cut and run then bench them.

-Troy played a great game, but it makes me uncomfortable when he has to make a decision with the ball in his hands. When I see him 18 ft from the basket pump-faking and then starting to drive, I get the feeling that something bad is going to happen.

-Buck is exactly right, this game was won and lost with the 3 pt shot. Pacers 10-29 (34%), Raptors 12-23 (52%).

-Many open threes were the result of our inability to stop dribble penetration.

-Foster was Foster. He gives it all every game, the whole time he's on the floor.

-Watching the game, I couldn't help but think that we've got just as much talent as Toronto, except at the PG position. Tins and Diener scored the ball great, but Forderon had 17 assists and they combined for 8.

-PG is by far the most important position on any team in the NBA. Colangelo knows this and has built two very successful teams around it. The Suns were mediocre until they got Nash. The first thing he did when he got to Toronto was get Ford and Calderon. He's built around those guys, and they make everyone else look much better than they are. We seem to be building on a collection of 6'9" wing players who lack either the quickness or ball-handling ability to play SG.

While I've been fairly negative, I do not think this team is terrible or even as bad as our record. We're flawed and we're certainly building toward a point a ways down the road from where we are now, but I still think this is a team that will win more games than most would predict at this point.

owl
11-17-2007, 09:58 AM
-
-PG is by far the most important position on any team in the NBA. Colangelo knows this and has built two very successful teams around it. The Suns were mediocre until they got Nash. The first thing he did when he got to Toronto was get Ford and Calderon. He's built around those guys, and they make everyone else look much better than they are. We seem to be building on a collection of 6'9" wing players who lack either the quickness or ball-handling ability to play SG.

The Pacers have many problems but the guards are 1A and 1B with the center close behind.
With the rate the Pacers are going they will be a mid lottery team and probably have a
choice of Gordon or Mayo. Of all the players that will be coming out however Michael
Beastly(Beasly) looks to be the best. A lefty small forward. He is better than any the Pacers
have currently. The Pacers need shooters everywhere badly so take the best one available at whatever position.

NuffSaid
11-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Toronto is a good team.

I think if Ike Diogu plays, the Pacers win. The 2nd unit REALLY misses his post presence.
I've been thinking along the same lines. I'm not sure if most fans have noticed, but ever since Ike went out with his injury the Pacers have lost. A large part of why the team is struggling now is for the exact same reasons we strugled during that 11-game losing streak last year: opponents collapsed on JO and our shooters weren't knocking down shots -OR- JO continued to fight through double-teams only to commit the turnover. Either way it goes, we need that scoring continum in the low-post, and w/o Ike it's pretty much gone because Murphy doesn't really play a dominate role in the low-post.

(Sidenote: I'm surprised JOB hasn't given Graham nor Sims a shot just to see what they could do out there while Ike's out.)

Once he comes back, we probably won't see David Harrison again unless there's an injury or foul trouble.
This will depend greatly on the rotations at Center and PF. If JOB goes with a Center rotations such as JO, Ike, Foster then no, we won't see much of Harrison which to me would be a shame because he's starting to play better. However, if he goes with a rotation consisting of Murphy, Foster and Harrison, and uses JO, Ike @ PF which I think is more ideal, then we'll see Harrison sparingly, but he will get some minutes.

JO looks to be getting back to his old self.Well...I don't know about all that. I think his knee is still bothering him. He's not moving to his right much whenever he tries to drive to the basket. So, instead of jumping alot or trying to power his way to the basket as we've seen him do before, he's instead relying on post-moves that take him left toward the front of the rim and into traffic. Maybe he figures he'll get the foul call, but with 2 and 3 defenders rotating to him the odds are all he'll do is get the ball stripped which seems to happen on just about every possession whenever he tries to power through like that.

Murphy played surprisingly well. Tinsley brought a lot to the offense, but left a lot to be desired on the defensive end. Diener finally had his shots fall.
It's about freakin' time!!!

As for the negatives, Dunleavy continues his disappearing act. And Granger is proving to be wildly inconsistent. Although he had some nice blocks in the game.What? :-o How could you say that about two of the most consistent players on the team through their first 9 games? Yeah, they went cold last night, but overall I thought both had done quite well so far. And, oh, yes, those blocks by Danny were nice, too. :D

See my comments about post play above...

EDIT: Oh, and it seems like Daniels is only going to play every other game, which is a shame. I think we could really use his defense and slashing ability every night. I think he really would've helped tonight.
Bummer, but that's how it goes when you acquire a player w/a bum knee. When he's out there he plays very good, but as a fan I don't think I could stomach this "in 1 game, out 2" deal with him. I'm looking for a "Scoring Guard" who can bring it every night, and if that's not Quis then I'd rather see him gone if his health will always be this suspect. Don't get me wrong; I like him and the team could really use someone with his knack for slashing through the lanes and getting to the basket. But I want to see that from a player like him for 82-games, not 40 or less. :(

McKeyFan
11-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Pacers defensive system is designed to clog the middle and will give up some threes.

Isn't it ironic that Obie does the exact on offense: emphasises threes? On D he's trying to keep opponents away from the paint.

:whoknows:

Hicks
11-17-2007, 12:24 PM
On O he wants to attack the paint. Unfortonately we suck so badly at doing that, that our "attack" is to pass the ball to JO. No one penetrates. The idea is to do that then kick out for wide open 3's (like TOR got), not all "daylight" threes from around-the-perimeter passing where yeah you have a little room, but not a lot either.

avoidingtheclowns
11-17-2007, 12:25 PM
-Troy played a great game, but it makes me uncomfortable when he has to make a decision with the ball in his hands. When I see him 18 ft from the basket pump-faking and then starting to drive, I get the feeling that something bad is going to happen.

this is how i felt, especially this season with murphy. it's like those times when like shaq (or another ungraceful big) decided to lead/run a fast break with the ball in his hands... you get one of those "i dunno whats gonna happen but it's gonna be ugly" feelings

McKeyFan
11-17-2007, 12:27 PM
but is there anybody who watched the game that wouldn't rather have Jose Calderon as our PG?

Yeah, we should start a separate thread on that.

Or maybe an ad campaign and public demonstration.

;)

sweabs
11-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Oh yeah, funny moment in the game.

Once we built about a 10pt lead in the 1st quarter, some guy sitting behind us in our section stood up and yelled "COME ON...IT'S THE FREAKIN' PACERS."

Got a good chuckle out of everyone who could hear it. (I might have as well...).

Oneal07
11-17-2007, 01:35 PM
LOL. . .I was hearing some fans booing Tinsley when he touched the ball in the 4th. and he was schooling the Raps. Once Calderon hit that 3, I knew it was over, they been leavin him and Ford open all night to double team Bosh. Good game nonetheless. . .I just hope we beat Utah Tonight!!!

idioteque
11-17-2007, 01:45 PM
What? :-o How could you say that about two of the most consistent players on the team through their first 9 games? Yeah, they went cold last night, but overall I thought both had done quite well so far. And, oh, yes, those blocks by Danny were nice, too. :D

I agree with what you're saying for the most part, but this got me. And I'm talking about Dunleavy, not Granger.

Dun was very aggressive the first few games, played very well out there. In the Bobcats and (second) Wizards games in particular, he was silent for most of the game. During last night's game he looked like opening night Dun for some of the game, and the unfortunately he looked like Bobcats game Dun for part of the game too.

My point: It is unacceptable for Dunleavy to only get 7 or 8 open looks a night. He should be shooting the ball 14-15, maybe more, times a game.

Yes, it's not always his fault and sometimes the ball isn't given to him when he should have it. But, at other times, he pretty blatantly takes plays off. See the Bobcats game.

idioteque
11-17-2007, 01:55 PM
The Pacers have many problems but the guards are 1A and 1B with the center close behind.
With the rate the Pacers are going they will be a mid lottery team and probably have a
choice of Gordon or Mayo. Of all the players that will be coming out however Michael
Beastly(Beasly) looks to be the best. A lefty small forward. He is better than any the Pacers
have currently. The Pacers need shooters everywhere badly so take the best one available at whatever position.

The Pacers have a lot of wings already. I think they'll take a guard barring some major trade during the season that involves Dunleavy, Granger, or Williams getting traded.

Dr. Goldfoot
11-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Dun....

Last 3 games

.303 FG%
.167 3PT%
10.7 PPG

JO

Last 3 games
.386 FG%
3.7 TO
13.7 PPG

Granger

last 2 games

.280 FG%
.200 3PT%
11.5 PPG

McKeyFan
11-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I think the stat of the game is 3 pt percentage.

Pacers 10-29: 35 percent

Toronto 12-23: 52 percent

What begs the question is why we shot significatly more 3s despite our woeful percentage.

I'm on board with Obie regarding it will take time for the defense to grow and improve. However, I don't see our three point shooting getting better over time. It is what it is--and this on a night when Tins was hot.

I think of Mal's avatar: lipstick on a pig.

pwee31
11-17-2007, 02:35 PM
JO played well, but he had some key turnovers late that I felt cost us the game

pwee31
11-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Would have been nice to see Quis on the floor as well.

OnlyPacersLeft
11-17-2007, 02:47 PM
quis doesn't play on back to back games...he will tonight i think

Lord Helmet
11-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Would have been nice to see Quis on the floor as well.
Or Ike.....

McKeyFan
11-17-2007, 04:42 PM
JO played well, but he had some key turnovers late that I felt cost us the game

I hated that as well.

However, in fairness, no one was cutting, so JO was forced to make something happen. When you force something on a double cover, problems tend to crop up.

I'm still surprised JOB said on the radio show that the problem was Dun and Danny not cutting. And when I watched the game (second half only) that sure seemed to be the problem.

Fatigue? Brain damage? Mixed messages? I wonder what it is.

NuffSaid
11-17-2007, 07:35 PM
VCR/Tivo still serve a need after all!!! :D

I've had a chance to watch - or should I say study - the Raptors/Pacers game on tape and here's my 2-cents worth:

1) Man-Defense (from the perimeter). Overall, the Pacers played much better this game than they had over the last 3 games. Despite the fact that the Raptors gunners were seemingly able to rain down 3's, the Pacers defended them fairly well particularly in the paint. Their biggest problem, however, is how they play man-D and I've complained about it for years! I'm referring to how Foster or Jamaal, for example, will step out to defend on a high screen, but instead of them staying with the ballhandler when they rotate defensively they'll shag off him instead leaving the ballhandler wide open. What they don't realize is the Raptor and other teams for that matter will use the players who steps out and quickly shags off as a 6th defender! Foster/Tinsley in effect become another screener for the opposing team because they DON'T stay with the ballhandler. Now, I understand why they don't stay out there; they don't want to create a mismatch for the other team. But here's the rub: If they rotate and STAY with the ballhandler, they don't give up the spacing. Thus, the ballhandler has to make a decision other than the one decision we DON'T want shooters to make: take the shot. Instead, you force him to keep the ball in his hands alittle longer where maybe instead of taking that wide open 3, he'll instead pass the ball or take a well defended shot for the miss. But the last thing you want to do is give a team w/shooters like the Rapters or Wizards a wide open, stand-still jumpshot from downtown. And the Pacers gave up those types of shots all night long because they continued to shag off the ballhander instead of rotating to and staying with the ballhandler. Anyone who recorded last night's game or any Pacers game to date look at the footage and tell me if you agree or disagree with this assessment.

2) Missed Shots by 2 of our Best. Granger and Dunleavy hurt us only because they couldn't knock down those wide open, uncontested shots. And believe me they had plenty of them. But sometimes, you have nights like these. The good news is they both started taking their game inside. The bad news is they started doing so much too late into the game. Still, for what it's worth I'll settle for them taking high percentage shots over quick, wild ones any day of the week.

3) Bad calls by the refs down the stretch. I know, I know...most people don't like to blame the refs for a team losing a game, but in this case the refs were a contributing factor down the stretch when it mattered most. Case and point, the "swim stroke" call againt JO at the 1:12 mark of the 3Q that would have brought the Pacers within 2 pt (74-78); the 3-second defensive lane violation called against JO in the 4Q around the 5:58 mark - BOGUS! (JO started out at the top of the key then faded down to shadow Bosh "through" the paint, and then stood facing Bosh at the right high block outside the paint. I replayed this moment about 10 times and even used a stop watch ... 1 second!!! That's how long JO stayed in the paint. BAD CALL refs!) And the most obvious non-call of all came at the 46 second mark of the 4Q when Dunleavy was knocked to the ground by Delfino on a 3PA. He missed the shot, but it should have been a trip to the line the And3!! Instead, the refs ruled it incidental contact after the shot when clearly Delfina made contact w/Dunleavy while he was up in the air. At that point the score was 98-104. Three made FTs by Dunleavy could have made the game 101-104 - a 3 pt different. There are, of course, others but these were the most obvious missed calls of the game for the Pacers.

Overall, they played very well. Not even their poor outting of the 3Q was all that bad as far as their effort goes. They tried to fight through it, but their shots just didn't fall. Had they defended the perimeter better the score wouldn't have become so lopesided. Still for what it's worth, they didn't do too bad.

If they come out playing the same way against the Jazz tonight and don't have a 3Q meltdown maybe they can finally break this losing streak.

NPFII
11-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Has anyone else noticed that in each of the last 3 Raptors games there's been a beyond-the-half-line-buzzer-beater ?

It was Quis & Armstrong last year, and this time it was Anthony Parker.

I think the Pacers played well, but they're no match for the Raptors even on a poor shooting night, where Bargnani only sees 5 minutes. Seriously - I saw how the Raptors caught fire against NJ, and against Chicago - that team can blow you out of the court when they get into it.

And how about Maceo Baston getting the nod, and his emphatic dunk? That's gotta make you move uncomfortably in your arm-chair, right?