PDA

View Full Version : Is there any possible chances Jim O'Brien gets the boot?

Smashed_Potato
11-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I know its unlikely, Bird said hes committed to Jim's coaching though if it comes down to it do you choose JO or Jim? and shouldn't this give the Pacers nation a better understanding that Rick Carlise was never the problem but how the roster was built?

sometimes its easy to point fingers but is it easy to convince yourself? probably not.

avoidingtheclowns
11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
nope... bird had a chance to get the coach he wanted. he chose someone who had never used an impact post player like JO. to me that says JOB is here for at least two years, most likely three and that JO is the one to leave if it comes to that.

Smashed_Potato
11-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Bird couldn't have hired JOB to coach JO when there was a good possibility he would have been traded.

Trader Joe
11-16-2007, 04:33 PM
I can't even believe this is a topic title right now. I mean, honestly are you freakin' kidding me? This is dumb to even bring up.

Ragnar
11-16-2007, 04:33 PM
You need to give Obie a little more time. I have faith that the faster offense will come back. I think they are showcasing Jermaine.

Smashed_Potato
11-16-2007, 04:35 PM
I can't even believe this is a topic title right now. I mean, honestly are you freakin' kidding me? This is dumb to even bring up.

It just seems like Jim's offense does not fit the Pacers they should have corrected that issue before the season.

Hicks
11-16-2007, 04:37 PM
You need to give Obie a little more time. I have faith that the faster offense will come back. I think they are showcasing Jermaine.

A little more time? How about a couple of years (barring major, blatant reasons?

Trader Joe
11-16-2007, 04:38 PM
It just seems like Jim's offense does not fit the Pacers they should have corrected that issue before the season.

Yeah might as well wonder if he could get fired eight games into his first season. You are just starting this topic to create problems and you know it. Its an incredibly dumb question to ask. Theres no way you or anyone else could honestly believe O'Brien would have to worry about getting fired, so the only other logical explanation is that you are doing this to try and start trouble, and I've had it up to my neck with all of this trolling and speculating from Lakers fans.

Smashed_Potato
11-16-2007, 04:45 PM
I never said he should be fired, my question was hypothetical I was talking about being fired after this season or next don't jump to conclusions.

Trader Joe
11-16-2007, 04:46 PM
I never said he should be fired, my question was hypothetical I was talking about being fired after this season or next don't jump to conclusions.

So we're talking about him possibly getting fired two seasons from now pretty much? Yeah I stick by my statement. This thread is incredibly dumb and pointless. You aren't accomplishing anything. It would be about the same as if I started thread
"Is there any possible chances Danny Granger gets traded?" and then said oh wait I was talking about two years from now. Its dumb, it accomplishes nothing, and its completely based off of speculation of EIGHT FREAKING GAMES!

Smashed_Potato
11-16-2007, 04:49 PM
You really are stressed aren't you? :(

Trader Joe
11-16-2007, 04:59 PM
You really are stressed aren't you? :(

No, I should actually change that as I'm done with my tests. I am however tired of dumb stuff like this.

Since86
11-16-2007, 05:00 PM
No, he's just being logical.

I don't know why this subject is being brought up either, especially 8 games into the season by a Laker's fan nonetheless. :rolleyes:

Smashed_Potato
11-16-2007, 05:00 PM
I never wanted to create a problem, but bear with me here I'm a respected member here and I have been here through out the summer and now NBA season.

Hicks
11-16-2007, 05:03 PM
I never wanted to create a problem, but bear with me here I'm a respected member here and I have been here through out the summer and now NBA season.

I don't have a real problem with you, but did you just self-appoint yourself as a respected member? I actually just lost a lot of it after reading that statement.

indyman37
11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
i think it's a good question. he's not jumping the gun, he's just be theoretical.

but to answer the question, i think JO will go before Jim...if we had to choose that is.

Since86
11-16-2007, 05:04 PM

But there's no point in speculating about what happens in two years. Ask me in two years and I'll be able to give you an answer. At this point in time, no he won't be getting fired and that's the only thing that matters, this point in time.

Trader Joe
11-16-2007, 05:05 PM

Oh well excuse me then, I should just allow you to say whatever you want...:rolleyes:

Smashed_Potato
11-16-2007, 05:05 PM
i think it's a good question. he's not jumping the gun, he's just be theoretical.

but to answer the question, i think JO will go before Jim...if we had to choose that is.

Thank you for responding kindly.

indyman37
11-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Thank you for responding kindly.
no problem.

Unclebuck
11-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes there is a very good chance he'll either get the boot or leave - in about 3 or 4 years

Smashed_Potato
11-16-2007, 05:11 PM
What if Bird isn't satisfy with him in 1-2 years I mean he hired Jim to see good progress.

avoidingtheclowns
11-16-2007, 05:12 PM
smashed isn't a troll... he's been on the board off and on regardless of rumors dying down. i think he just means respected as in "not a laker troll"

smashed, sorry buddy, i wouldn't say you're a 'respected' member. but its cool because i'm certainly not either.

Trader Joe
11-16-2007, 05:12 PM
What if Bird isn't satisfy with him in 1-2 years I mean he hired Jim to see good progress.

O'Brien will get three years at least. However even if he gets fired in two years its absolutely ridiculous to be talking about it now. Honestly what are you trying to accomplish? Whats you're point? I don't get it at all.

Hicks
11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
i wouldn't say you're a 'respected' member. but its cool because i'm certainly not either.

Damn right! ;)

Naptown_Seth
11-16-2007, 05:14 PM
JOB will not be fired this year, at least during the year. But one thought I had WHEN THEY HIRED HIM was that he wasn't too high profile or pricey and would make a nice rebound/axe guy when things continue as they ended last season. The sudden disinterest in SVG and the apparent low pursuit of Mitchell added to that feeling.

Since then I bought more into Larry really having interest, but still...the guy was hired via a phone interview, no previous history together and well off the radar and rumor mill. His method on paper seems a total mismatch for the roster they have, especially if they are firmly trying to win now rather than rebuild.

Fall Guy isn't just Lee Majors.

avoidingtheclowns
11-16-2007, 05:16 PM
if both carlisle and obrien can't get anything going with it then i imagine it becomes evident that the coaching isn't what needs to change.

typically the logic is dump the coach(es) before the players. we've tried that and in 3-4yrs nothing has changed it becomes obvious that its the players that need to change. but thats quite a ways down the line. the pacers goal right now is to reach the playoffs not anything more. if they reach the playoffs i think the fans, organization, media AND the league will be stunned. the bar isn't set too high for jim.

Smashed_Potato
11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
smashed, sorry buddy, i wouldn't say you're a 'respected' member. but its cool because i'm certainly not either.

At least I'm not a Laker troll. never want to gather attention or seek a problem I'm here to talk some Basketball and Pacers hoop ;)

Smashed_Potato
11-16-2007, 05:21 PM
if both carlisle and obrien can't get anything going with it then i imagine it becomes evident that the coaching isn't what needs to change.

I was trying to point that out, I think Rick was treated poorly he should have had a roster to work with before he was judged. he took a disgruntled Pacers team to the 2nd round after the Brawl and overachieved with not-so-good Pacers team after the 04-05 season.

Unclebuck
11-16-2007, 05:23 PM
This topic does bring a question to mind. How many NBA coahces lasted less than a full season and how many were fired or left after one season.

OK, I'll start with two off the top of my head and really recent

Eric Musselman - one year in Sact

Larry Brown - one year in NY.

I'm sure there are others. Did Quinn Buckner last a full season in Dallas and did Jimmy Clemens last a full season in Dallas.

I'll look those two up.

I know, I know. Jerry Tarkanian lasted how many games for the Spurs. Was it more than 25

Unclebuck
11-16-2007, 05:26 PM
here is the info on Quinn. Starting 1-23 - wow that is a slow start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinn_Buckner

Then he was named head coach of the Dallas Mavericks for 1993–94. The club had gone 11-71 the previous season, and the franchise was in disarray. Although Buckner had no NBA coaching experience, Mavericks owner Donald Carter hoped Buckner’s charismatic personality and lifelong knack for winning would rub off on the young team.

In an interview with the Arizona Republic, Buckner repeated his success formula: “Dedication, commitment, extreme concentration, discipline, realizing it can’t be done alone, it has to be done through the team.” Believing that his young charges needed more discipline, Buckner determined from the start to be a stern taskmaster with the Mavs. The plan backfired, with many of the players (including Jamal Mashburn) complaining publicly about Buckner's methods. NBA historian Peter Bjarkman even suggested that Buckner frequently consulted with Knight during the season. They started 1-23, and for a while it looked like they would break the 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers' record for the most losses in a season. Buckner loosened the reins a little bit as the season wore on, but it was not enough to keep the team from finishing 13-69--by far the worst record in the league, and at the time the worst record ever for a rookie coach who managed to survive for a full season. Buckner was fired two days after the season ended.

indyman37
11-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Just first year coaches...

Philadelphia 76ers, 1972-73: Roy Rubin 4-47
Philadelphia 76ers, 1992-93: Doug Moe, 19-37
Philadelphia 76ers, 2003-04: Randy Ayers, 21-31
Minneapolis Lakers, 1957-58: George Mikan, 9-30
Minneapolis Lakers, 1959-60: John Castellani, 11-25
Los Angeles Lakers, 1979-80: Jack McKinney, 10-4
Chicago Zephyrs, 1962-93: Jack McMahon, 12-26
Baltimore Bullets, 1966-67: Mike Farmer, 1-8
St. Louis Hawks, 1958-59: Andy Phillip, 6-4
Chicago Bulls, 1977-78: Larry Costello, 20-36
Cleveland Cavaliers, 1979-80: Bill Musselman, 25-46
Buffalo Braves, 1976-77: Tates Locke, 6-30
Phoenix Suns, 1972-73: Bill Van Breda Kolf, 3-6
Sacramento Kings, 1987-88: Bill Russell, 17-41
Kansas City Kings, 1984-85: Jack McKinney, 1-8
San Antonio Spurs, 1983-84: Morris McHone, 11-20
San Antonio Spurs, 1992-93: Jerry Tarkanian, 9-11
Seattle SuperSonics, 1972-73: Tom Nissalke, 13-32 Seattle SuperSonics, 1977-78: Bob Hopkins, 5-17

http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/tra7.htm

Unclebuck
11-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Jim lasted over a season

Dallas Mavericks fire coach Jim Cleamons - basketball coach - Brief Article

Jim Cleamons, who has had a tough time since being named head coach of the Dallas Mavericks, was recently relieved of his duties and replaced by General Manager Don Nelson.

Assistants Butch Beard I and Sonny Allen were also dismissed.

Reports say that Cleamons, who was a highly sought head-coaching prospect, compiled an unfavorable 28-70 win-loss record in his stint as head with the Mavericks. The Mavericks have also seen a number of player changes during Cleamons' short stay.

Before coaching the Mavericks, Cleamons had been an assistant coach with the world champion Chicago Bulls.

In replacing Cleamons. Nelson won his first game, defeating the New York Knicks, where he last coached. He was fired by that team 60 games into his first season

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n5_v93/ai_20112999/print

Smashed_Potato
11-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Interesting stuff Unclebuck proves that anything is possible.

avoidingtheclowns
11-16-2007, 05:31 PM
I was trying to point that out, I think Rick was treated poorly he should have had a roster to work with before he was judged. he took a disgruntled Pacers team to the 2nd round after the Brawl and overachieved with not-so-good Pacers team after the 04-05 season.

you will, under no circumstances, hear me argue with this.

and initially i was quite against the obrien hire because i felt he was too similar to rick to really make a difference. however the more i've experienced jim, i have found some important differences, enough where a shift in coaching paradigm could have a significant impact on the team.

and it still could... the season is 82 games long.

JayRedd
11-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Seeing as how Eddie Jordan is currently the third longest-tenured coach in the NBA, anything is possible. But not this year. Although he could be an easy "one and done" guy if someone becomes available next summer or we make significant changes (for instance...and I'm not saying it could ever happen Laker fans...if we got a Yao or Bynum or a definite back to the basket guy in a trade) that would make J'OB's style completely incompatible to the players on our roster -- I mean, even moreso than not having a single good jumpshooter not named Gift.

you will, under no circumstances, hear me argue with this.

and initially i was quite against the obrien hire because i felt he was too similar to rick to really make a difference. however the more i've experienced jim, i have found some important differences, enough where a shift in coaching paradigm could have a significant impact on the team.

and it still could... the season is 82 games long.

I don't respect that.

aceace
11-16-2007, 07:20 PM
I was considered for poster of the year... considered (key word here) .... because I nominated myself. Back on topic... how in any way is this 3-5 record JOBs fault. This is all new to all these players. He has had success in the past. His team this year has looked great at times. JOB is not shooting the ball.

One thing about Buckner from 75-76 IU team. Bobby Knight once said: "We basically just told Buckner and Wilkerson not to let the other team get the ball across the time line."

Best defensive guard combo in the history of college basketball.

grace
11-16-2007, 07:43 PM
No way is Larry going to fire O'Brien after one year. I doubt he'd even do it next year.

ABADays
11-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Haven't we already gone through 2 or 3 JO "him or me" scenarios?

bellisimo
11-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Seeing as how Eddie Jordan is currently the longest-tenured coach in the NBA, anything is possible. But not this year. Although he could be an easy "one and done" guy if someone becomes available next summer or we make significant changes (for instance...and I'm not saying it could ever happen Laker fans...if we got a Yao or Bynum or a definite back to the basket guy in a trade) that would make J'OB's style completely incompatible to the players on our roster -- I mean, even moreso than not having a single good jumpshooter not named Gift.
I don't respect that.

What about Jerry Sloan? did he take a time off that I'm unaware of?

Shade
11-16-2007, 11:05 PM
I know its unlikely, Bird said hes committed to Jim's coaching though if it comes down to it do you choose JO or Jim? and shouldn't this give the Pacers nation a better understanding that Rick Carlise was never the problem but how the roster was built?

sometimes its easy to point fingers but is it easy to convince yourself? probably not.

No, I strongly disagree with this. Rick was still a major, major problem. He just wasn't the only problem.

Cobol Sam
11-16-2007, 11:07 PM
I give this my vote for Silliest Question of the year.

Arcadian
11-16-2007, 11:35 PM
The JO era is going out with a wimper. I'm just glad the Rick era ended sooner.

idioteque
11-17-2007, 12:40 AM
No, I strongly disagree with this. Rick was still a major, major problem. He just wasn't the only problem.

YES!

I don't think this team would be 3-6 with Rick. They'd be worse.

Evan_The_Dude
11-17-2007, 01:08 AM
The only way Jim is let go is if Bird feels he can get more out of the players we have by coaching the team himself.

Ragnar
11-17-2007, 12:18 PM
A little more time? How about a couple of years (barring major, blatant reasons?

sorry I should have said a lot more time.

That being said if Byron Scott somehow became available I would dump Obie, of course that is not going to happen so Obie has a couple years.

Unless that is if he keep pulling Jamaal at the end of games when Jamaal was the only reason we were in the damn game.

JayRedd
11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
What about Jerry Sloan? did he take a time off that I'm unaware of?

That was supposed to say "third longest-tenured". I really not sure how I messed that up (well...I'm actually sure that it's because I'm an idiot, but whatever). And the only reason I know Eddie is the third-longest is because they said it like 15 times on our opening night vs. the Wiz. Pop would be second I reckon.