PDA

View Full Version : The Official 2007-08 IU Basketball Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Shade
11-12-2007, 12:26 PM
The regular season starts tonight at home against Chattanooga...on the Big Ten Network. :censored:

The 9th-ranked Hoosiers are coming off of a pair of preseason wins, 121-76 over North Alabama and 111-62 over UNC-Pembroke.

Chattanooga is 1-0 after a 120-59 win over Covenant.

Regardless, IU should win this one with ease.

Prediction:
Indiana 105
Chattanooga 73

Due to the apparently low strength of schedule and the acquisition of Eric Gordon, I'm really feeling a special year on tap for the Cream and Crimson. I predict a 25-5 regular-season record and dual Big Ten Championships (regular season and tournament) this season. :)

GO :hoosiers:!

Trader Joe
11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
I can't wait for tonight. I get out of my law class at 5:15 and then it is time for hoops again on the IU campus. What a joyous time. Hopefully they get me off this Pacers/Colts induced snide.

obnoxiousmodesty
11-12-2007, 06:32 PM
My new favorite people in the whole wide world? Don Fischer and Todd Leary. I'm going to become their new best friend this season.

GO HOOSIERS!

Lord Helmet
11-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Um so I take it if I don't have BigTen Network I'm screwed?

Shade
11-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Um so I take it if I don't have BigTen Network I'm screwed?

Yup, along with most of us. :mad:

Lord Helmet
11-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Yup, along with most of us. :mad:
Way to alienate the fan base, BigTen.

Dumbasses.

Now with the amazing BigTen Network I'll get to see hardly any IU games, if any at all. I was becoming slowly a diehard IU fan. Apparently the BigTen can afford to lose me. :shrug:

Shade
11-12-2007, 08:58 PM
HALFTIME:
IU 46
UTC 50

Every team I root for is falling apart at the seams. Unbelievable. :banghead: :giveup:

Shade
11-12-2007, 09:03 PM
We're shooting 50% and LOSING.

UTC is shooting 57%. They're 14-19 from inside the arc. That is ridiculously unacceptable.

Are we playing any defense at all?!

Coop
11-12-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm watching the game on the BTN right now. The first half was atrocious. I could hardly watch. We're up 65-61 right now with about 11 minutes to go in the half. Without EJ we're down 20 right now.

Coop
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
85-71 with 7:30 to go. Gordon has to be over 30 pts by now. I think he's hit 5-6 threes.

Shade
11-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Gordon = the savior

As good as advertised.

Coop
11-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Another three for Gordon. He has 32 now. 88-71 Hoosiers

Shade
11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
91-71 :)

Now we're shooting 57%.

Coop
11-12-2007, 10:04 PM
96-75 Bassett for three. IU is 14-23 on 3pt tonight.

Shade
11-12-2007, 10:05 PM
We've doubled them in the second half so far (50-25).

Coop
11-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Final score 99-79 IU. Gordon with 33 points and 6 rbs. White ended up with 17 and 4

Shade
11-12-2007, 10:15 PM
FINAL:
IU 99
UTC 79

A little closer than I would have liked, but at least we got our heads out of our asses and got the job done.

I really hope the apparent lack of defense in the first half was just a fluke, because looking at the shooting percentages, we look like an efficient, offensive juggernaut.

1-0 :)

Shade
11-12-2007, 10:20 PM
EJ, 33 points on 9-15 shooting (7-11 from downtown)

Bassett, 20 points on 8-10 shooting (4-5 from downtown)

DJ, 17 points on 5-7 shooting

We shot 54% for the game and 56% from three-point range (14-25).

Need to work on the free throws, though. Only 74% on 23-31 shooting.

Coop
11-12-2007, 10:27 PM
We need to work on defensive rotation most. I realize Chattanooga is probably quicker than almost everyone we play but that's still no excuse.

Although overall the defense wasn't very good, I was very pleased with Gordon on the defensive side of the ball. The only thing I think he needs to work on is his ball-handling. Other than that, he doesn't have many weaknesses.

Lord Helmet
11-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Glad I was able to watch the game. Go BigTen Network!

Glad IU won, though.

Shade
11-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Glad I was able to watch the game. Go BigTen Network!

Glad IU won, though.

I hate you. :tongue:

Hicks
11-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I think that was sarcasm.....

Shade
11-12-2007, 10:40 PM
I think that was sarcasm.....

I stand by my statement. ;) :D

Trader Joe
11-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I just got back from the game and all I can say is wow. I remember seeing Gordon playing 9-10 times in HS and wondering if he could do it in college. He answered with a resounding HELL YES tonight. Truely an incredible player. Also anyone that thinks OJ Mayo is better than him doesn't know a thing about the game of basketball. Gordon is lightyears ahead of the ball hogging, shot chucking OJ.
Lets compare their stats from their first game...
First EJ...
33 pts. 9/15 shooting, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 7/11 from behind the arc, and I'd say two turnovers probably.

Now OJ...
32 pts. 12/27 shooting, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 4/11 from behind the arc, and EIGHT turnovers.

Oh and the key stat Gordon's team won, and rest assured that it may not have happened had he not been dominant.

Lance Stemler is the worst basketball player I have ever seen at the college level. PERIOD. He is awful. He doesn't do a single thing well and IDK how the hell Sampson named him a captain. Stemler is hated by the IU student crowd is going to be receiving the Ben Allen treatment probably from here on out.

Also I'm surprised no one talked about DJ's fall. Without a doubt the most terrifying moment I have ever had as a sports fan. Assembly Hall went DEAD silent when he fell. Not a single person said a word. When they handed a towel out to Ellis I was certain he had compound fractured his arm. That is how horrible the fall looked. I was sure it was either that or a shattered elbow needless to say it didn't look good. However the guy gets up holding a towel over his left eye and gives the number 1 sign with his hand to the crowd, and the place ERUPTED. The guy is a warrior period and a tremendous leader. They took him to the locker room and stitched him up and he returned to the bench 5 minutes later. Truely amazing, but what a horrifying moment. I think the IU campus would have been in a collective state of depression for the rest of the year had everyone's worst fears been true.

Lord Helmet
11-12-2007, 10:58 PM
I stand by my statement. ;) :D
:box:

pwee31
11-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Eric Gordon was Michael Jordan's son in Space Jam

Trader Joe
11-14-2007, 01:50 AM

:lol:

Shade
11-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Well, today IU is facing off against 2-1 Longwood at noon.

I would like to once again thank the Big Ten Network for keeping fans in the loop. I just love not being able to see my Hoosiers until the 5th game of the season. :pissed:

Shade
11-18-2007, 02:01 PM
54-30 IU at the half. We're shooting 65% right now. Our offensive efficiency is just insane so far this season.

Shade
11-18-2007, 02:56 PM
IU wins 100-49. :D

Another game shooting 59%. I'm really curious to see how well we shoot against a team with a really good defense.

2-0 baby! :cool:

Big Smooth
11-18-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm sure glad Eric Gordon didn't transfer like that one guy said a while back. :D

Looking good so far but this team has not come close to being tested. Playing at SIU will show us a lot about the makeup of this team early in the season.

Raoul Duke
11-19-2007, 04:37 AM

No he wasn't. EJ and MJ have both denied it. ESPN is retarded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Gordon

pwee31
11-19-2007, 01:52 PM
No he wasn't. EJ and MJ have both denied it. ESPN is retarded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Gordon

My bad, I had heard that, and went to IMDB and saw his name in the cast of characters as well. I wondered who played his son then. I'll have to watch it.

ABADays
11-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Jay Bilas agrees with Indy that Gordon is better than Mayo. This dude has some major explosion. Too bad he's only going to be around for a year. Bassett is going to be key this year also. I'm looking forward to a great year. At least I get to listen to all the games on Yahoo Sports.

Trader Joe
11-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Hoosiers up 52-32 at the half against UNC-Wilmington.

Trader Joe
11-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Hoosiers when 95-71. EJ dropped 30.

Shade
11-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Another good win, but I'm a bit concerned about starting out slow again. We were down 18-8 early. If we do that against a good team, we may not be able to come back.

On another note, Purdue really struggled, at home, with Lipscomb tonight, winning 66-62.

pwee31
11-27-2007, 11:28 AM
I FINALLY get to see the team in action tonight! :woot:

obnoxiousmodesty
11-27-2007, 03:17 PM
I FINALLY get to see the team in action tonight! :woot:
Same here. I'm looking forward to it. Perhaps the Big Ten can win the Challenge? Maybe? Bueller?

Maybe not.

pwee31
12-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Former Hoosier Robert Vaden is on fire against UK right now!

I still dislike him b/c he left, but maybe Mike Davis was just the coach for him.

Hoosiers should beat Western Carolina tonight!

Robertmto
12-15-2007, 11:11 PM
IU wins by 48!!!!!!

Eric Gordon and DJ White both with 20+

DJ White with 21 and 11.

This man is a monster.

Slick Pinkham
12-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Three cupcakes coming up before the Big 10 starts.

Sagarin ratings have us as the 266th toughest division 1 schedule so far.

In other news, I am enjoying Kentucky basketball these days!

The Sagarin ratings have Kentucky #154, 12th place (last) in the SEC.

They would be 7th in the Horizon league, behind

20 Butler
40 Valparaiso
101 Cleveland State
108 Wright State
111 Illinois-Chicago
126 Wis.-Green Bay

Link: Sagarin ratings, sorted by conference:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkc0708.htm

Slick Pinkham
12-21-2007, 11:55 AM
random Purdue bashing:

http://www.patrioptic.com/pusmelly.jpg

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/8589/purdueyh1.jpg

Shade
12-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Good stuff, pt. :D

Btw, how bout dem Boilers losing at home to Wofford? :eek:

I can't wait for us to play some GOOD teams again. I'm honestly a bit worried about playing such a cupcake schedule. We need to prep against better foes for conference play. Plus, nothing good can really come from playing against the Coppin States and Chicago States. You either win big, like you're supposed to, or you struggle/lose and become a laughing stock for a couple weeks. Like Purdue. ;)

D-BONE
01-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Sitting here watching IU-Iowa. Iowa playing well and playing very hard. Leading by 2 early 2nd half.

IU is not impressing me. They did not impress me preconference given the type of schedule they played.

The one thing I really dislike is the offense they run. Too much dribbling, too much one-on-one, lots of bad, missed, contested 3s chucked up early in the clock, lots of one pass or NO passes then a shot possesions.

Trader Joe
01-03-2008, 01:12 AM
The end of the Iowa game was ridiculous. Oh well a big ten win on the road is always a good one in my book.

D-BONE
01-03-2008, 09:24 AM
The end of the Iowa game was ridiculous. Oh well a big ten win on the road is always a good one in my book.

No doubt about that. They played better down the stretch that what I described in my other post. Seemed like when they needed it, they did execute some plays better, or maybe deeper, than earlier. As opposed to one guy breaking everything off and pounding it into a one-on-one fest.

In addition, Iowa played an excellent game. The test for IU would seem to be when they line up against top tier competition, will they be able to sustain intensity and good execution throughout the entire 40 mins. This is much more necessary against MSU or WISC. Turning it on when you need it, what they've been able to do a lot this year IMO, can become a risky habit.

Trader Joe
01-03-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm not concerned with this team. They are still getting to really know one another on the court. Only two guys have true "chemistry" with one another and thats EJ and DJ. Mainly just because they are both so good they make it look easy. This is still a team growing with Bassett and Crawford both missing significant time with "suspensions" and Ratliff just now getting back plus the injury issues of guys like Holman and I'm just now starting to think that Gordon is back to 100% from his back injury or whatever it was. This team is only going to get better which would be down right horrifying if I was the rest of the Big Ten.
Iowa played their best game of the season by far. Which is to be expected. We are going to get everyone's best shot every time we go on the road this year because we are the team to beat along with Michigan State. You beat us you will get some national recognition immediately. Teams know this and they play accordingly. Nine times out of ten Iowa would miss a lot of the shots they made last night and IU probably wins by 12+ points.

jmoney2584
01-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Damn we are catching some BS on the half court shots lately. Too bad EJ got called or some ticky tacky BS or Michigan would have been in a different spot come half-time. Word.

Shade
01-08-2008, 11:13 PM
How about that 20-20 game from DJ?

jmoney2584
01-09-2008, 12:26 AM
yea DJ has played real big all season, not too many people in the nation putting up double-doubles like him this year. A Real terror on the glass. How abou EJ's second half...I'm pumped for march when this team has gelled even more.

Shade
01-09-2008, 02:16 AM
kDh_5IN0O-g

I :love: YouTube. :)

obnoxiousmodesty
01-18-2008, 09:54 AM
After another tough road win, IU is now 15-1, 4-0 on the season. They've already won more Big Ten road games this year than they did all of last year.

Trader Joe
01-18-2008, 04:32 PM
The rest of the Big Ten is already playing catch up with our three road wins. Win these next three at the Hall and head into Madison at 18-1 and probably right around number 5 in the nation. I'm LOVIN' it.

avoidingtheclowns
01-18-2008, 04:41 PM
The rest of the Big Ten is already playing catch up with our three road wins. Win these next three at the Hall and head into Madison at 18-1 and probably right around number 5 in the nation. I'm LOVIN' it.

its nice and all but illinois played us pretty close at home and most teams aren't going to allow 26 TOs to beat them regularly. what little i've seen, there still seems to be too much 1-on-1 play. we also haven't really beaten a truly impressive team. i'm thrilled with 3 road wins in the big ten but am a little worried about our lack of progress in the consistency department.

Trader Joe
01-18-2008, 04:49 PM
its nice and all but illinois played us pretty close at home and most teams aren't going to allow 26 TOs to beat them regularly. what little i've seen, there still seems to be too much 1-on-1 play. we also haven't really beaten a truly impressive team. i'm thrilled with 3 road wins in the big ten but am a little worried about our lack of progress in the consistency department.

I agree with you 100%, but I think you also have to realize this is a fairly young team and we still haven't really gotten a chance to firm up a rotation. All the injuries, suspensions, people being in and out of Sampson's dog house has really affected the flow of the team and its rotations. The turnovers are a concern only if they continue at that rate, but I think we will fix those as the days go on. The team is only averaging 14 turnovers a game which is too be expected with our style of play and can be easily made up for through our talent level.
The Illinois game IMO at least was just an aberration. They played out of their skulls to try and get that game for Weber. I don't think it was a matter of talent, but just a matter of they wanted that game really badly and our team didn't match their intensity for most of the game.
I think that with these three straight home games now against mediocre competition we have a chance to really start clicking heading into the meatier part of our schedule (Wisc, MSU, OSU, and the roadie to Champaign).
Even with all of the issues we have had this season we are still clearly the class of the Big Ten right now based on talent alone and sometimes that is all it takes to win a championship at the college bball level.
So basically my point is this, yes the Hoosiers have work to do, but who doesn't at this point in the season? All of our issues are extremely fixable. At least we won at Iowa as unimpressive as that might be, Michigan State however wasn't able to do it. We're winning the tough games and that experience can be as important as any amount of talent come March.

Shade
01-22-2008, 06:30 PM

I agree with this 100%. I wish our schedule hadn't been so pathetic so far. Still, three Big Ten road wins early in the season is excellent, despite the competition, and we've lost to some bad Minnesota teams at the Barn in the past. And DJ has really elevated his game as well. But I do agree that we don't really feel all that cohesive as a team yet. Hopefully we'll figure it out before tourney time.

Kofi
01-25-2008, 03:33 AM
#3 Tennessee lost to Kentucky on Tuesday, and #6 Washington State lost to Arizona tonight, so, provided we beat UConn on Sunday, we're guaranteed no lower than #5 in the A.P. poll.

Shade
01-25-2008, 01:08 PM
#3 Tennessee lost to Kentucky on Tuesday, and #6 Washington State lost to Arizona tonight, so, provided we beat UConn on Sunday, we're guaranteed no lower than #5 in the A.P. poll.

I am sooooo glad Tennessee lost. They're really not that good, just very lucky. And a bit too arrogant for my tastes.

Trader Joe
01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Plus one of the Vols players has TWO, not one, count 'em TWO tear drop tats under his left eye.

JayRedd
01-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Welcome to the Big East, gents.

Robertmto
01-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Welcome to the Big East, gents.

:censored:

Trader Joe
01-26-2008, 09:04 PM
OH NOES THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kofi
01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
37% shooting and only 8 FTA's, vs 26 for UConn. Ouch.

There were a ton of upsets today, so we wont fall too far in the polls. Probably around #15 I would say.

#11 Wisconsin lost to Purdue
#15 Mississippi got blown out by Mississippi State
#17 Pittsburgh lost to Rutgers
#18 Villanova lost to Notre Dame

And as I type this.....

#9 Georgetown is trailing West Virginia
#19 Dayton is getting blown out by Richmond
#20 Marquette is trailing DePaul
#21 Stanford is tied with Cal midway through the 2nd half

And then of course Tennessee and Washington State both lost earlier in the week. So we're not gonna drop that far in the standings.

clownskull
01-27-2008, 01:29 AM
after watching the uconn game, i have come to some conclusions.
this team has no center and it really showed today. dj is a pf and not a center. he has been able to get away with it because iu hasn't really gone up against a team with a true center until now. thabeet had dj beaten in height by over half a foot and it showed in the rebounding and pts in the paint. uconn totally owned iu in that dept.
they showed that indiana couldn't handle them in a half court set very convincingly.

outside of dj, this team has no one to rely on when it comes to interior scoring and hitting the glass. if he ever gets hurt or in foul trouble, -- well, just hope and pray it doesn't happen because it will not likely be pretty. we are a small team- it looked like for every guy we had out there, they had a guy who was considerably taller and longer.

as far as strategy is concerned, what i see from the team is this: move the ball around on the perimeter and try for a 1on1 isolation (in other words, give it to gordon). don't really seem to notice much else. i don't see any screens or anything other than trying to do iso's and that will be problematic.
i see this team getting to the sweet16 with a big10 championship and possible elite8 but definitely not championship material.

Shade
01-27-2008, 03:12 AM
Today's loss kind of confirms what I've feared all season; we're a pretty good team that looks fantastic due to a pathetic schedule. Time was it was nearly impossible for opponents to win at Assembly Hall. Not so much anymore.

Pig Nash
01-27-2008, 11:41 AM
You mean all of last year? We were a decent team last year and didn't lose a game at Assembly Hall. We'll be fine.

Shade
01-27-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm sure we'll be "fine," but I doubt we'll be a title contender, which is kind of what we want since this is the last year for EJ and DJ.

Trader Joe
01-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Today's loss kind of confirms what I've feared all season; we're a pretty good team that looks fantastic due to a pathetic schedule. Time was it was nearly impossible for opponents to win at Assembly Hall. Not so much anymore.

What the hell are you talking about Shade??????? We had won 29 straight games at Assembly Hall before this one. This is still one of the toughest places to play in the country.

Look y'all need to take a deep breath. This was their third game of the week, and the starters had already been run ragged by that Penn State game having to play the whole second half for some reason. Then you throw in the Iowa game in the middle of the week and you have a recipe for disaster. We win this game 9 times out of 10 guaranteed.

Do you realize at one point we were shooting 10/41 from the field? Do you think there is any chance we ever approach that number again? UConn got lucky they caught us on an off night, and we still had a chance in the last two minutes to win.

Honestly, this should be the game we are most ok with losing from here on out. It doesn't affect our conference standing and the only thing that gets hurt is our pride cause we lost at home. Give this team the rest and the time to prepare for the Badgers and I think we have a great chance of beating them in Madison.

Also if the team reacts to this loss like they did the Xavier loss then we will be just fine. All we need to do is learn from it. The Xavier game taught us not to rely on Gordon so much. This game needs to teach the team that Gordon is the go to guy and we need to get him some oppurtunities to take over.

And if we do lose to Wisconsin on Thursday you guys need to realize its not the end of the world.

Raoul Duke
01-28-2008, 12:23 AM
What the hell are you talking about Shade??????? We had won 29 straight games at Assembly Hall before this one. This is still one of the toughest places to play in the country.

Look y'all need to take a deep breath. This was their third game of the week, and the starters had already been run ragged by that Penn State game having to play the whole second half for some reason. Then you throw in the Iowa game in the middle of the week and you have a recipe for disaster. We win this game 9 times out of 10 guaranteed.

Do you realize at one point we were shooting 10/41 from the field? Do you think there is any chance we ever approach that number again? UConn got lucky they caught us on an off night, and we still had a chance in the last two minutes to win.

Honestly, this should be the game we are most ok with losing from here on out. It doesn't affect our conference standing and the only thing that gets hurt is our pride cause we lost at home. Give this team the rest and the time to prepare for the Badgers and I think we have a great chance of beating them in Madison.

Also if the team reacts to this loss like they did the Xavier loss then we will be just fine. All we need to do is learn from it. The Xavier game taught us not to rely on Gordon so much. This game needs to teach the team that Gordon is the go to guy and we need to get him some oppurtunities to take over.

And if we do lose to Wisconsin on Thursday you guys need to realize its not the end of the world.

I agree. I mean did you expect to go undefeated? That doesn't happen too often you know.

Kofi
01-31-2008, 12:09 PM
IU is #11 this week, only dropping 3 spots due to all of the other teams which also lost last week. Tonight's a huge game @ #13 Wisconsin with 1st place in the Big Ten on the line.

Shade
01-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Huge, huge game tonight. If Purdue can beat these guys, we can too.

If we drop this one, I will be very worried. (Honestly, I think we'll lose.)

Trader Joe
01-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Huge, huge game tonight. If Purdue can beat these guys, we can too.

If we drop this one, I will be very worried. (Honestly, I think we'll lose.)

Shade are you aware that Wisconsin is 103-6 at home under Bo Ryan?

Trader Joe
01-31-2008, 10:12 PM
JAMARCUS FREAKIN' ELLIS!

Shade
01-31-2008, 10:36 PM
We look AWFUL.

Shade
01-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Why do refs always fall for blatant flops like that?

Shade
01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
This Wisconsin team doesn't look that good to me. We just need to start hitting some shots.

Down 30-20 at the half.

Shade
01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
IU has 11 turnovers to 8 field goals so far. Wow.

Trader Joe
01-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Gordon's left wrist is clearly bothering him. Ellis is quickly becoming one of my favorite IU players in recent memory.

Oh and I hope Stemler gets run over crossing tenth street this week. Seriously this guy is beyond words awful.

Shade
01-31-2008, 10:57 PM
If Stemler isn't hitting (as he usually isn't), he's nearly worthless.

This game is very winnable, but we need to start hitting shots. Simple as that.

20 points in a half is embarassing, even against Wisconsin.

Trader Joe
01-31-2008, 11:00 PM
If Stemler isn't hitting (as he usually isn't), he's nearly worthless.

This game is very winnable, but we need to start hitting shots. Simple as that.

20 points in a half is embarassing, even against Wisconsin.

Stemler's always worthless. I could rebound better than he does.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:09 PM
Foul on JaMarcus 8 seconds into the second half. :shakehead

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Now DJ's obviously hurt.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:10 PM
Ugh. We're getting beat by simple fundamentals.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:13 PM
It's getting ugly.

Wisconsin is just a better team.

This season is slowly turning into a big disappointment. Xavier, UConn, and Wiscy are not exactly title contenders.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:18 PM
Robertmto is right; DJ is a beast. Too bad he's not getting any help tonight.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Down by 20.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:28 PM
EJ with the trey!

Down to 15.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
I hate Stemler.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:34 PM
EJ taking over...

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:35 PM
EJ with 10 straight! 10-point game!

And that was from NBA range! :eek:

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:38 PM
#@$$#%$^%^)%$&%^) STEMLER!!!!! :pissed:

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Down to 7...

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:40 PM
EJ and DJ have 32 of IU's 41 points.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:43 PM
DJ cuts it to 5!

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Stemler is absolutely worthless on both ends of the court. He had the inside track on that rebound and still couldn't pull it in.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Nobody but EJ and DJ should shoot the ball at this point.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Does Stemler do ANYTHING well?

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:50 PM
We're still gonna lose, but at least we made it somewhat respectable.

Everyone not named Eric Gordon or DJ White should be ashamed of themselves tonight.

Shade
01-31-2008, 11:58 PM
EJ just got a shoulder in the throat off a pick.

Shade
02-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Is anyone else going to show up tonight?

AJ? Armon? LaMarcus? Anyone?

Trader Joe
02-01-2008, 12:01 AM
This Wisconsin team is extremely dirty and the refs bailed them out by giving them the ball back when it was 48-43 instead of calling a shot clock violation which is what should have been called.

I hope Stemler falls off the planet.

Shade
02-01-2008, 12:06 AM
This Wisconsin team is extremely dirty and the refs bailed them out by giving them the ball back when it was 48-43 instead of calling a shot clock violation which is what should have been called.

I hope Stemler falls off the planet.

Yeah, Wisconsin's getting away with a lot of physical contact tonight. I think we'll take 'em in Bloomington.

Shade
02-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Wisconsin wins, 62-49.

PROPS:
EJ and DJ: 38 points, 20 rebounds
JaMarcus with 13 boards

SLOPS:
Everyone else wearing an IU uniform
Lance Stemler

Trader Joe
02-01-2008, 12:10 AM
The student section needs to start giving Stemler the Ben Allen treatment.

Shade
02-01-2008, 12:14 AM
The student section needs to start giving Stemler the Ben Allen treatment.

Stemler was set up for two big treys and a big offensive rebound late and failed on all three counts.

Ben Allen... :laugh:

Shade
02-03-2008, 02:16 PM
We're stuggling, at home, against Northwestern... :shakehead

Shade
02-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Once again, it looks to be all EJ and DJ, with the rest of the team shooting like crap. This is getting really frustrating.

EJ & DJ: 37 points on 14-22 shooting
Everyone else: 15 points on 5-20 shooting

Someone step the hell up! :pissed:

Shade
02-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Well, it looks like the answer is just to run 90% of our offense through White and Gordon. Nobody else can shoot to save their lives.

Shade
02-03-2008, 03:00 PM
IU wins, 75-63. EJ/DJ scored 55 on 17-25 shooting. Everyone else scored 20 points on 7-27 shooting. Let me put that into perspective:

The rest of the IU team shot 2 MORE SHOTS than DJ/EJ, and scored 35 POINTS LESS than those two.

This is a problem that needs to be rectified if we're going to make any noise in the tourney.

Trader Joe
02-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Yet people still will think Gordon isn't as good as advertised.

P.S. DJ is quietly becoming a first round pick IMO.

Shade
02-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Yet people still will think Gordon isn't as good as advertised.

P.S. DJ is quietly becoming a first round pick IMO.

Let the haters hate. :p

DJ's transformation has been astounding. He looks like a completely different player this year. I still don't know if he'll go in the first round, but if he's still on the board when the Pacers use their #2 they should look at him (I seriously doubt he will be, but you never know). Or, if we do a trade that brings in a late first-rounder. A hard-working, rebounding machine, and he's the same size as the highly-touted Beasley. How sweet would it be to start a rebuilding effort with those two? :drool:

Trader Joe
02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm going to the Illinois game tomorrow. Myself and a few friends are invading the other Assembly Hall. Hopefully I make it out alive. However, if I perish, I will die with honor.

Trader Joe
02-08-2008, 04:08 AM
I can't believe no one has commented on this game yet. And you call yourselves IU fans...shame.

Just got back from Illinois and WOW what a game. However Illini fans are probably the most classless fans I have been around in a while. I'll post more thoughts tomorrow.

But seriously we win in double OT and none of you have said a single thing.

Erik
02-08-2008, 06:34 AM
I can't believe no one has commented on this game yet. And you call yourselves IU fans...shame.

Just got back from Illinois and WOW what a game. However Illini fans are probably the most classless fans I have been around in a while. I'll post more thoughts tomorrow.

But seriously we win in double OT and none of you have said a single thing.Huge game, I'm glad that you went to support them. This is one of my early mornings so that 9:00 tip-off would have killed me but I'll watch the whole thing tonight on my DVR even though I know the outcome.

tdubb03
02-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Bob Knight's about to be on Mike and Mike, for those able to listen.

Shade
02-08-2008, 12:23 PM

But seriously we win in double OT and none of you have said a single thing.

I had to work, so I was unable to see the game. But, once again, struggling against such a poor team is very disheartening, and a definite red flag.

And, yes, Illini fans are very classless. This is nothing new.

Trader Joe
02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Huge game, I'm glad that you went to support them. This is one of my early mornings so that 9:00 tip-off would have killed me but I'll watch the whole thing tonight on my DVR even though I know the outcome.

We had been talking about this game for some time since last year really and I'm glad we decided to attend. We were actually sitting around 20-30 other IU fans the whole game just about one section over from the students (not the one's behind the basket) so it was even more fun to shut them up.
They were classless in every sense of the word from the **** you Gordon chant to cheering when it appeared he may have gotten hurt getting fouled at the top of the key. Not to mention Frazier's "hand-shake" to start that game.
They need to get the hell over it and move on IMO. This happens every year and the only reason it has gotten so much attention is because Gordon switched to an in conference rival. If he decided to attend North Carolina instead of Illinois we would not be hearing a peep about this anymore.
All of that being said, that was the most fun I've had in a sporting event in a long time. From the road trip out there to jamming to eye of the tiger as we left the arena it was a blast. I say this easily I would have paid $100 to be at that game last night. That is how fun it was.

Now onto the game itself. The team fought last night. As hard as I have seen them fight all year. Gordon rose up like a true superstar in the second half and really stuck it to the Illinois fans :dance:
DJ was fantastic as usual and probably the reason we were only down four at half time. Crawford and Bassett both made huge shots. Armon is probably the guy I want at the FT line late in game him or Eric. He has ice water in his vains. Even Stemler made some great hustle and effort plays for us. Only guy who really struggled was Jamarcus Ellis.

Oh by the way is there a program in America who enjoys living in the past more than Illinois. They WORSHIP Dee Brown and Deron Williams there. Dee was at the game even and they showed him every five seconds it felt like. Not to mention they brought him on the court and he HUGGED one of the refs who then proceeded to make questionable call after questionable call against us. (He's the guy who called both fouls to give Pruitt a chance to win the game as well as the call that gave DJ his fourth foul). Here's my advice Illinois fans MOVE THE HECK ON. These two guys did not even win a championship for you and treat them like gods. You're embarrassing yourselves.

In the end, I got flicked off, cussed out, and threatened, but it was worth it. I took it with class and composure as did our team and at the end the only chant that echoed through Champaign, Illinois last night was HOO-HOO-HOO-HOOSIERS!

Trader Joe
02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
I had to work, so I was unable to see the game. But, once again, struggling against such a poor team is very disheartening, and a definite red flag.

And, yes, Illini fans are very classless. This is nothing new.

I don't think you would say that if you saw the way the crowd was. No team in America will play in a tougher atmosphere this year.

Shade
02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't think you would say that if you saw the way the crowd was. No team in America will play in a tougher atmosphere this year.

True, but still, this isn't the first time they've struggled against a celler-dweller this year.

Anyway, I'm not going to poo-poo this win. Road wins, especially, are always big. I just hope we don't flame out when we have to play some real teams in the tourney.

Slick Pinkham
02-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Best game to watch this year!

That was a very tough atmosphere and IU is fortunate for their Shaq-like free throw shooting, but IU was clutch in the 2nd OT despite some homeriffic officiating throughout

Since86
02-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Homeriffic is an understatement. Pruitt should have gotten a foul called on him at the end of the first OT for just being a plain retard.

Not only did he try to defend a 3/4 heave, he stuck both arms in and fould the hell out of DJ. Normally you swallow your whistle but something that moronic and obvious you call it.

I don't know if you saw it or not Indy, but fans started throwing stuff at Gordon's parents late in the game. Security was all around their section because it was getting out of hand.

Trader Joe
02-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Homeriffic is an understatement. Pruitt should have gotten a foul called on him at the end of the first OT for just being a plain retard.

Not only did he try to defend a 3/4 heave, he stuck both arms in and fould the hell out of DJ. Normally you swallow your whistle but something that moronic and obvious you call it.

I don't know if you saw it or not Indy, but fans started throwing stuff at Gordon's parents late in the game. Security was all around their section because it was getting out of hand.

Yeah we saw it. There were enough IU fans there that I wasn't too worried, but if I had not been around a bunch of IU fans I would have been worried.

Shade
02-08-2008, 03:33 PM

That was ridiculous. If I had seen that live, I'd have thrown a fit.

Since86
02-08-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't know what they can do, but the NCAA needs to step in and do something.

Frazier's stunt at the beginning shouldn't be tolerated. They went in to the game looking to beat the hell out of him. I understand playing physical, but that wasn't "playing."

It was horrible, and Bruce Weber should be absolutely ashamed at what he either let happen or told them to do.

Shade
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't know what they can do, but the NCAA needs to step in and do something.

Frazier's stunt at the beginning shouldn't be tolerated. They went in to the game looking to beat the hell out of him. I understand playing physical, but that wasn't "playing."

It was horrible, and Bruce Weber should be absolutely ashamed at what he either let happen or told them to do.

Weber's a crybaby and it wouldn't shock me if he told Frazier to do it.

Since86
02-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I was more talking about the overally play during the game.

The refs were clueless. In those situations you need refs to step up and get control early. Set the tone that unnecessary rough play from both sides won't be tolerated. Doing it early establishes the tone/pace and would shape the game accordingly.

By letting it go it just added fuel to the fire. Once it gets out of hand it's 10X worse trying to rein it in, too bad they never even tried to get a hold of the situation.

Towards the end I didn't even care who won. I just wanted the game to be over because I kept picturing someone getting seriously injured, and then I really would have been pissed.

Stryder
02-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Anyone have video of this chestbump thing? I didn't watch the game and cannot find any video of it.

obnoxiousmodesty
02-09-2008, 12:49 AM
I love how Illinois issued an "apology" after the game last night. Still, they Illini seem to be contradicting themselves...

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10628965

Illinois apologizes for rude behavior directed toward Gordon

Feb. 8, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Illinois (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/teams/page/IL) athletic officials apologized Friday after fans greeted Indiana (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/teams/page/IN) and star freshman Eric Gordon with obscene chants and curses during the Hoosiers' double overtime win.

"The profanity and behavior by a small segment of fans Thursday night is disappointing and intolerable, and for that we apologize to fans of both teams," Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther and coach Bruce Weber said in a statement posted Friday on the men's basketball website.

Gordon was making his first appearance at Assembly Hall since reneging on an oral commitment to play for the Illini. Students chanted "Liar! Liar!" and obscenities, booed every time he touched the ball and cheered every mistake.

He was sloppy early on, but came through late for the Hoosiers, hitting a clutch 3-pointer late in regulation to help send No. 14 Indiana to an 83-79 victory. Gordon finished with 19 points, all but one of them after halftime.

Guenther and Weber said in the statement that they take the reputation of Illini basketball seriously and "the game has been somewhat diminished by inappropriate behavior by a number of fans in attendance."

Gordon and the Hoosiers (19-3, 8-1 Big Ten) are in contention for a Big Ten title. The Illini (10-14, 2-9) are in danger of missing the postseason for the first time since 1999.

I hate Bruce Weber more than any other coach in the country. He continually sets a terrible example of sportsmanship for his team and university.

Trader Joe
02-09-2008, 03:48 AM
Bruce Weber said the fan support was tremendous after the game. So any apology is fabricated and not actually sincere.

Shade
02-10-2008, 01:30 PM
We're going to have to take a serious look at Purdue, folks. They've swept Wisconsin and now lead the Big Ten. The game next week may very well determine who wins the conference title.

Trader Joe
02-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Good start against Ohio State. Back to back threes by Gordon after a DJ dunk. 8-2 Hoosiers.

Shade
02-10-2008, 02:50 PM
IU up 29-21 at the half.

DJ White = BEAST

Stemler still = teh suck

Trader Joe
02-10-2008, 02:52 PM
DJ MOTHA EFFIN' WHITE!

Shade
02-10-2008, 04:04 PM
IU wins, 59-53. Nice road win against a good team.

That move by Gordon down the lane was suh-weet!

DJ White > Kosta Koufos

Now the schedule gets tougher. The next three games will be huge. IU is 0-3 against teams that are currently ranked, and the next three teams are all currently ranked.

obnoxiousmodesty
02-10-2008, 04:22 PM
This next week and a half is going to be something else.

Great win today Hoosiers!

Since86
02-10-2008, 05:52 PM
If you didnt think Stemmler sucked there would just be another whipping boy.

There is always that player who gets everyone's venom, especially when they aren't supposed to be a big time player, but someone who comes in a just does their role.

If anyone should get berated, my vote would go to Ellis. Puts up nice numbers on awful decisions. I never feel confident with him.

Trader Joe
02-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I love what Ellis brings to this team. He does a lot of things well and really meshes everyone skills. Stemler gets the venom because he starts at PF, but he really isn't so he can't do anything you normally expect out of your four. I said during the Illinois game though that if we won that game I wouldn't ***** about him the rest of the season unless he cost us a tourney game so I'll stick by that. His rebounding and poor choices on D is what gets him in trouble the most with fans.

George Foreman
02-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I ended up going to the IU OSU game and it was great!! I haven't seen the Hoosiers play since my parents and I moved out back when I was really young so it was a treat.

The only thing was it was so awkward rooting for IU when you're a student at the home team school. Also the fact that I wore all black to a white-out didn't much either.

Shade
02-10-2008, 11:35 PM
If you didnt think Stemmler sucked there would just be another whipping boy.

There is always that player who gets everyone's venom, especially when they aren't supposed to be a big time player, but someone who comes in a just does their role.

If anyone should get berated, my vote would go to Ellis. Puts up nice numbers on awful decisions. I never feel confident with him.

Stemler can't do anything right. Inconsistent shooter, doesn't defend well, and doesn't rebound well. I seriously struggle to figure out why he's out there at all. Dude couldn't even make a gimme at the end of the half (DJ had to clean it up).

Oh well. At least he's not Todd Lindeman. :shudder:

Since86
02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
For an inconsistant shooter he shoots better from the 3pt line and FT compared to Ellis, and shoots 0.12% less on overall FG%.

Ellis' decision making skills on both ends are severly lacking for the reigning Juco. player of the year.

Shade
02-12-2008, 01:43 AM
I love how Illinois issued an "apology" after the game last night. Still, they Illini seem to be contradicting themselves...

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10628965

I hate Bruce Weber more than any other coach in the country. He continually sets a terrible example of sportsmanship for his team and university.

As long as Weber is there, they will be known as the Cryin' Illini.

Shade
02-12-2008, 01:45 AM
For an inconsistant shooter he shoots better from the 3pt line and FT compared to Ellis, and shoots 0.12% less on overall FG%.

Ellis' decision making skills on both ends are severly lacking for the reigning Juco. player of the year.

I'm not defending JaMarcus, but at least he has the potential to have an impact on a game when he's on (which he has been a couple times this season). Stemler just seems to be a constant non-factor out there on both ends of the court.

Erik
02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
A.J. Ratliff will not return the Indiana basketball team, the school announced today.

A.J. Ratliff waved to the fans during his introduction at Hoosier Hysteria at Assembly Hall in October. - Heather Charles / The Star

"Both of us agreed that it was in his best interests to focus on himself and to work through his personal issues," coach Kelvin Sampson said in a release. "We wish him the best."
Ratliff, a former Indianapolis Star Indiana Mr. Basketball award winner from North Central, played in 93 career games and averaged 5.8 points.

He missed the first semester of his senior season with academic issues. He missed the past two games for personal reasons.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...S0601/80212037

Coop
02-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Up until this year, Ratliff has been one of my favorite players. Sure, he's never lived up the his potential but he played hard and seemed like a smart guy. I don't know what happened to him this year but I hope he gets everything straightened out.

He's going to have to deal with the disappointment of this year for the rest of his life. I hope he can salvage what has been a very disappointing career by going to class and being successful out in the real world.

Shade
02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow, I wonder what's going on with AJ. :confused:

avoidingtheclowns
02-13-2008, 01:07 AM
seriously. really weird.

Shade
02-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Heartbreaking loss to the Badgers tonight. Looked like a great game; wish it had actually been televised. :mad:

Now 0-4 against ranked teams, and sitting on 2 home losses. Time was it was nearly impossible for opponents to win at Assembly Hall. Not so much anymore. ;)

All of the luster's starting to wear off of this season. The Pacers suck (but probably not enough to get a good draft pick), the Colts flamed out at home in essentially the first round of the playoffs, and IU has feasted on a schedule of cupcakes while their coach has been driving the school's reputation into the ground.

How much worse is it going to get?

Coop
02-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Perfect.

Trader Joe
02-13-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm going to go crawl under a rock and die.

Shade
02-13-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm going to go crawl under a rock and die.

Find your own rock. This one's mine. :tongue:

Trader Joe
02-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Find your own rock. This one's mine. :tongue:

Imminent domain!

Shade
02-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Imminent domain!

How does stealing my rock benefit the general public?

Trader Joe
02-13-2008, 11:13 PM
How does stealing my rock benefit the general public?

I have at least three more people looking to share the rock with me. Plus Wal*Mart wants to build a store there.

Raoul Duke
02-14-2008, 02:23 AM
This is going to be a long couple months for IU fans. I have a feeling Sampson is done. I really liked him but everyone is calling for his head now.

You broke my heart Kelvin.

Bball
02-14-2008, 02:50 AM
I agree with the Sampson is done mindset. The only question is if he'll even be allowed to finish the season or not.

I thought there'd be no question he'd finish the season but seeing the NCAA has spelled out 5 violations that they deem 'major', and the repeated nature of the violations, coupled with the lying... and then Greenspan's very noncommittal answer about whether Sampson would remain as coach this season all adds up pretty quickly to a university wanting to put this behind them ASAP.

I'm still going to be surprised if they fire him midseason... but I won't be shocked by it (or a 'resignation').

But in any case... he won't be coach next season (unless a smoking gun appears that let's someone else take the fall and truthfully absolves Sampson... I don't see that happening right now).

Trader Joe
02-14-2008, 03:56 AM
So anyone else starting to buy the idea of Robert Montgomery Knight returning? I'll admit when I first heard it brought up I brushed it off as ridiculous, but the more I ponder it the more I think it could happen. I would welcome Coach Knight back with open arms, and they say time heals all wounds. Also what better way for Knight to stick it to Brand than to come back and guide this years team to a championship. Ok, I'll admit him returning THIS year is extremely far fetched, but if we brought him back I'd be thrilled to death. The fans would rally around him as well.

Trader Joe
02-14-2008, 03:58 AM
This is going to be a long couple months for IU fans. I have a feeling Sampson is done. I really liked him but everyone is calling for his head now.

You broke my heart Kelvin.

What I don't get is that being head basketball coach at Indiana University is one of the top 5 jobs in college basketball. Why you would want to do anything to screw up your position is beyond me.

I'll agree though. Him lying to us really hurts me. Do I think Sampson loves IU basketball? Yeah, I really do. He embraced the university and we embraced him. However I also think that Sampson is stupid and well stupid is as stupid does. It's a shame, the man is a pretty damn good basketball coach, too bad he is such a blithering idiot.

Shade
02-14-2008, 12:57 PM
So anyone else starting to buy the idea of Robert Montgomery Knight returning? I'll admit when I first heard it brought up I brushed it off as ridiculous, but the more I ponder it the more I think it could happen. I would welcome Coach Knight back with open arms, and they say time heals all wounds. Also what better way for Knight to stick it to Brand than to come back and guide this years team to a championship. Ok, I'll admit him returning THIS year is extremely far fetched, but if we brought him back I'd be thrilled to death. The fans would rally around him as well.

God, no. I'm sick to death of embarrassing antics from our sports teams, and I especially don't want that bitter old man back after all the potshots he took at IU after he was canned.

avoidingtheclowns
02-14-2008, 04:50 PM

i wouldn't be opposed to it but i bet he would be. i don't think knight could win us a championship. he'd probably kick EJ off the team since he was planning on leaving for the NBA at seasons end. i do think IU needs to honor him in some way during the next year as a PR move.

What I don't get is that being head basketball coach at Indiana University is one of the top 5 jobs in college basketball. Why you would want to do anything to screw up your position is beyond me.

I'll agree though. Him lying to us really hurts me. Do I think Sampson loves IU basketball? Yeah, I really do. He embraced the university and we embraced him. However I also think that Sampson is stupid and well stupid is as stupid does. It's a shame, the man is a pretty damn good basketball coach, too bad he is such a blithering idiot.

this is just beyond stupid (not you, sampson). the disregard for the job and the microscope he knew he'd be under. the behavior reminds me of drug addicts not being able to help themselves but i have no idea how that really applies to recruiting or texting. seriously he was given a second chance -- then to do the same thing knowing about the increased scrutiny and then lie about it??

someone here (maybe kstat or one of the laker lurkers) said at one point that if JO optioned out he'd be too stupid to be a pacer. i feel like sampson has -- even in the rare case that he is absolved of the major violations -- proved himself way too stupid to be a head coach.

Big Smooth
02-14-2008, 10:18 PM

Hell will freeze over before that happens. But I'd be okay with it. Call me crazy. :D But it is such a pipedream....I think Dakich is a good interim choice. He has head coaching experience and is an Indiana guy. Just don't hand him the job if IU makes a Final Four run. ;)

Trader Joe
02-15-2008, 04:07 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080214/COLUMNISTS01/802140501/
Kravitz chimes in on the Sampson situation. Basically what would you expect from Kravitz calls Sampson a sleaze etc. I'm too lazy too search through Kravitz's dribble that he writes about, but I'm sure at some point recently he has endorsed Sampson and his ability to get Gordon so I really don't have much to say other than the usual stuff we say about Kravitz

clownskull
02-15-2008, 04:14 AM
dakich would be ok. but he need not worry about a final 4 run. they lack a true center and if they make it beyond sweet16, i'd be surprised.
i really don't think they are as good as advertised. 0-4 against ranked opponents- is not a vote of confidence for me.

Trader Joe
02-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Southern Illinois was ranked when we beat them in at least one poll. ;)

I really just want Sampson gone so we can at least start to feel like we are moving on. I really can't deal with this much longer, in fact I'd wish they would just punish us and move on. It makes me sick to see our basketball program like this.

Shade
02-15-2008, 12:13 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080214/COLUMNISTS01/802140501/
Kravitz chimes in on the Sampson situation. Basically what would you expect from Kravitz calls Sampson a sleaze etc. I'm too lazy too search through Kravitz's dribble that he writes about, but I'm sure at some point recently he has endorsed Sampson and his ability to get Gordon so I really don't have much to say other than the usual stuff we say about Kravitz

Has any one man ever talked so much and yet said so little?

As Homer Simpson would say: "You take forever to say nothing."

Trader Joe
02-17-2008, 01:35 AM
No comments on the game tonight fellas? Great effort from the guys. I hear DJ should be OK but we will know more tomorrow. In other news, Kelvin Sampson shows why it sucks that he is such a big cheater because he completely outcoached Izzo tonight and was really hyped the whole game, chest bumped De and was hugging Bassett and Gordon. I wish he had a moral compass because I love everything else about him.

Trader Joe
02-17-2008, 01:44 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/cada4939-f0f2-4270-a990-480ffea696ab.jpg

Larger shot of the cover photo on ESPN.com Men's Bball section right now. Things like this are what **** me off, Kelvin loves coaching here. Why go screw it up? God.

Big Smooth
02-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Sampson has been consistently getting outcoached this season so if he did outcoach Izzo, that is a first.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of seeing him on the IU sideline and he needs to be done for good after the Purdue game...I'd say sooner but that is pretty much the timeframe in place now.

Trader Joe
02-17-2008, 02:12 AM
I completely disagree with Sampson being outcoached this season. No doubt that he needs to go, but I can't complain about his X's and O's.

Shade
02-17-2008, 04:39 AM
I felt we'd finally break through tonight, but I was surprised to see the final margin. I had to work all night (just got home, actually), so I didn't get to actually see the game...AGAIN. :mad:

And to those who say that EJ's play drops off when the level of competition rises:

28 points on 60% shooting against the #9 team in the country. :tongue:

Shade
02-17-2008, 04:42 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/cada4939-f0f2-4270-a990-480ffea696ab.jpg

Larger shot of the cover photo on ESPN.com Men's Bball section right now. Things like this are what **** me off, Kelvin loves coaching here. Why go screw it up? God.

Ditto. I like Sampson and think he's a solid coach. But he really has nobody to blame but himself. I really thought he was smarter than that.

Shade
02-17-2008, 04:43 AM
Next up: The biggest game of the year (so far). A must-win in every sense of the phrase.

indygeezer
02-17-2008, 11:51 AM
I'd like to see RMK back, but here's a thought.

Miles Brand was IU prez that fired Knight.
Miles Brand is now head of NCAA
NCAA is now investigating IU and will decide how much punishment IU is to receive.
IU will NOT bring Knight back under those circumstances.

GenlHooker
02-17-2008, 12:36 PM
I read a rumor today that Dan Dakich is going to be the interim coach and then this summer Scott Skiles will be named the new head coach.

Trader Joe
02-17-2008, 12:51 PM
http://www.indystar.com//apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080217/COLUMNISTS01/802170439

Kravitz continuing his running commentary on the issue. This time talking about what a great coach Sampson is and how he never really needed to cheat to become successful. I wish I could believe his statement that he found Sampson's embrace of his players on Saturday moving, but generally I now tend to believe that even Kravitz doesn't believe most of what he writes.

I did however find that moment moving and it humanized Sampson for me. Even to the point where I feel bad for what he has gotten himself into. I don't believe Sampson ever start out here with the intention to hurt IU or himself. I feel like he made the original mistake, a mistake that I said I could live with, and then pushed the panic button and bent the truth. It doesn't make it ok by any stretch and Sampson must face the music, but I feel for the guy to a certain extent now. I like everything else about Sampson, his passion for the game, his love for his players, and his love for the IU program, but this can't fly and it makes me so damn sad to see what was an otherwise great situation get ruined.

Elgin56
02-17-2008, 12:55 PM
I felt we'd finally break through tonight, but I was surprised to see the final margin. I had to work all night (just got home, actually), so I didn't get to actually see the game...AGAIN. :mad:

And to those who say that EJ's play drops off when the level of competition rises:

28 points on 60% shooting against the #9 team in the country. :tongue:

He will be perfect for the NBA, carries the ball with every move to the basket.

Shade
02-17-2008, 01:13 PM
He will be perfect for the NBA, carries the ball with every move to the basket.

Taking your hatred of the coach out on the players is petty and illogical.

Trader Joe
02-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Are we honestly complaining about the fundamentals of a guy who can shoot from the volleyball line? That used to be something to be celebrated at IU.

Shade
02-17-2008, 02:06 PM
http://www.indystar.com//apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080217/COLUMNISTS01/802170439

Kravitz continuing his running commentary on the issue. This time talking about what a great coach Sampson is and how he never really needed to cheat to become successful. I wish I could believe his statement that he found Sampson's embrace of his players on Saturday moving, but generally I now tend to believe that even Kravitz doesn't believe most of what he writes.

I did however find that moment moving and it humanized Sampson for me. Even to the point where I feel bad for what he has gotten himself into. I don't believe Sampson ever start out here with the intention to hurt IU or himself. I feel like he made the original mistake, a mistake that I said I could live with, and then pushed the panic button and bent the truth. It doesn't make it ok by any stretch and Sampson must face the music, but I feel for the guy to a certain extent now. I like everything else about Sampson, his passion for the game, his love for his players, and his love for the IU program, but this can't fly and it makes me so damn sad to see what was an otherwise great situation get ruined.

Kravitz needs a new schtick. Ranting on and on without offering any objectivity whatsoever is irresponsible and weak journalism. He may as well just post on random online forums (assuming he doesn't already lift his material from there, anyway).

grace
02-17-2008, 02:14 PM
I'd like to see RMK back, but here's a thought.

Miles Brand was IU prez that fired Knight.
Miles Brand is now head of NCAA
NCAA is now investigating IU and will decide how much punishment IU is to receive.
IU will NOT bring Knight back under those circumstances.

Knight's not coming back regardless.

I find it amusing that he resigned from TTU right before all this hit the fan.

Big Smooth
02-17-2008, 07:03 PM
dakich would be ok. but he need not worry about a final 4 run. they lack a true center and if they make it beyond sweet16, i'd be surprised.
i really don't think they are as good as advertised. 0-4 against ranked opponents- is not a vote of confidence for me.

I'm not expecting a Final Four run. I understand our flaws but you never know. A little luck of the bracket can go a long way. I never would have believed the 2002 team would have made the national title game either.

Big Smooth
02-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Knight's not coming back regardless.

I find it amusing that he resigned from TTU right before all this hit the fan.

You are the Bulls fan right? What would you think about Scott Skiles coming to IU? I have heard his name discussed on other boards today.

Elgin56
02-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Taking your hatred of the coach out on the players is petty and illogical.

What? Have you not watched Eric play? He f&**&*ng carries the ball almost every time he makes a move to the basket, thus the he will be a great NBA player comment.

BTW, I don't hate anyone, dislike would be a more accurate discritption.

Shade
02-17-2008, 11:44 PM
What? Have you not watched Eric play? He f&**&*ng carries the ball almost every time he makes a move to the basket, thus the he will be a great NBA player comment.

BTW, I don't hate anyone, dislike would be a more accurate discritption.

You made the comment because you dislike Sampson to the point where you're now taking potshots at the players.

Elgin56
02-18-2008, 09:55 AM
You made the comment because you dislike Sampson to the point where you're now taking potshots at the players.

Mind reading now, Shade?

Elgin56
02-18-2008, 09:57 AM

So tell me what is your excuse for bashing Stemler?

Stemler can't do anything right. Inconsistent shooter, doesn't defend well, and doesn't rebound well. I seriously struggle to figure out why he's out there at all. Dude couldn't even make a gimme at the end of the half (DJ had to clean it up).

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/images/buttons/PDbuttons/report.gif (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/report.php?p=654750)

Robertmto
02-19-2008, 03:01 AM
Becuz Stemler is horrible and Eric Gordon is not?

Elgin56
02-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Becuz Stemler is horrible and Eric Gordon is not?

If that is the case, then why is he starting and playing big minutes?

Trader Joe
02-19-2008, 01:17 PM

Cause our PF position is an absolute joke. If this team had a guy like Matt Howard starting at the four (a guy IU probably could have gotten) we would probably be the favorites for the national title right now. Unfortunately we have the Stemler/Mike White pu-pu platter to choose between.

Since86
02-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Please NO to Matt Howard.

Stemler starts because he is actually a threat to spread out the defense. If you wanted a post player to play beside DJ they would start DeAndre or even Mike White.

And just because you start doesn't mean your one of the top 5 best players on the team.

Trader Joe
02-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Please NO to Matt Howard.

Stemler starts because he is actually a threat to spread out the defense. If you wanted a post player to play beside DJ they would start DeAndre or even Mike White.

And just because you start doesn't mean your one of the top 5 best players on the team.

What don't you like about Howard? He is a significantly better rebounder than anyone other than DJ on our roster.

Since86
02-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Because he's simply not THAT good of a player. He's a product of the Butler system like many, many players before him.

Don't get me wrong, he's a perfect fit there and he does what they need him too, but he wouldn't produce the same at a different school. He just doesn't have the necessary athleticism to play in the Big 10.

Elgin56
02-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Because he's simply not THAT good of a player. He's a product of the Butler system like many, many players before him.

Don't get me wrong, he's a perfect fit there and he does what they need him too, but he wouldn't produce the same at a different school. He just doesn't have the necessary athleticism to play in the Big 10.

Oh come on, there have been many non athletic players to play for IU and all of the Big Ten teams, that were successful in college. If Howard fits Butler's system, he would fit IU's system as well.

Since86
02-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Oh come on, there have been many non athletic players to play for IU and all of the Big Ten teams, that were successful in college. If Howard fits Butler's system, he would fit IU's system as well.

I'm done wasting my time with you on any subject.

Shade
02-19-2008, 05:20 PM
So tell me what is your excuse for bashing Stemler?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/images/buttons/PDbuttons/report.gif (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/report.php?p=654750)

Um...I bash Stemler because he sucks? I thought I was pretty straightforward. :shrug:

You're not seriously comparing EJ and Stemler, are you? :lol:

Shade
02-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Mind reading now, Shade?

I've never seen you make one disparaging remark about Gordon, but you've been ripping Sampson left and right. EJ starts to get a little praise on here and now you rip him too. IMO, this is because you hate Sampson so much that you want anyone associated with him to fail.

Shade
02-19-2008, 05:25 PM

Because we don't have two DJ Whites?

There have been plenty of horrible players that have started and played big minutes out of depth issues at their position. The aforementioned Lindeman, for one.

avoidingtheclowns
02-19-2008, 05:31 PM

trust me, you'll have an infinitely more pleasurable Pacers Digest experience embracing "grace mode" in this situation.

Since86
02-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I can never seem to keep people on ignore. It's like if people starting hanging up white sheets to block an accident. I HAVE to look.

Elgin56
02-19-2008, 06:31 PM

Whatever! You should not ask the question if you won't like the answer. Damn, I will lay awake tonight knowing that you don't like me.;)

Elgin56
02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
I've never seen you make one disparaging remark about Gordon, but you've been ripping Sampson left and right. EJ starts to get a little praise on here and now you rip him too. IMO, this is because you hate Sampson so much that you want anyone associated with him to fail.

Saying that EJ carries the ball, is disparaging? I guess you idea of ripping someone and mine are worlds apart. Once again, I don't hate Sampson, I just don't like cheats and liars, and if that makes me a di67head, then so be it.

Elgin56
02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Because we don't have two DJ Whites?

There have been plenty of horrible players that have started and played big minutes out of depth issues at their position. The aforementioned Lindeman, for one.

If he was as bad as you think he is, he should not even be in college basketball period. I think your dislike for him, for whatever reason, is clouding your judgement of his playing abilities.

Trader Joe
02-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Stemler does some things well, but he hurts us more than helps. He is probably one of the worst rebounders I have ever seen. I'll admit he knows how to get open within the office and the only time I get really pissed with him on that end of the court is when he does something like pass up an open three and then steps in and take a mid range J. Stemler is far more accurate from behind the 3 pt line than from mid range for whatever reason.

avoidingtheclowns
02-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Stemler does some things well, but he hurts us more than helps. He is probably one of the worst rebounders I have ever seen. I'll admit he knows how to get open within the office and the only time I get really pissed with him on that end of the court is when he does something like pass up an open three and then steps in and take a mid range J. Stemler is far more accurate from behind the 3 pt line than from mid range for whatever reason.

dude looks magical when he's coming off a high screen from jim halpert

Trader Joe
02-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Wow its amazing what will happen when you post without thinking. Offense and office sound a lot alike in my head.

Shade
02-19-2008, 08:14 PM
If he was as bad as you think he is, he should not even be in college basketball period. I think your dislike for him, for whatever reason, is clouding your judgement of his playing abilities.

My dislike of him is based on his playing abilities. I have nothing against him as a person.

Shade
02-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Saying that EJ carries the ball, is disparaging? I guess you idea of ripping someone and mine are worlds apart. Once again, I don't hate Sampson, I just don't like cheats and liars, and if that makes me a di67head, then so be it.

The way you phrased it was very condescending.

Elgin56
02-19-2008, 08:57 PM
The way you phrased it was very condescending.

It was never meant to be condescending, however I can see how one could interpret it that way. I think that EJ is one hell of a player and I believe he will do well at the next level. He also seems to be very mature and a good person, as well as a good teamate.:)

Bball
02-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Gordon is going to have to work on his handles...

By not suspending Sampson, IU has allowed him to put them in a very bad situation. IU is playing some of their best ball of the season (a season where they were already playing well) right at the point that IU is considering his dismissal.

-Bball

Shade
02-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Gordon is going to have to work on his handles...

By not suspending Sampson, IU has allowed him to put them in a very bad situation. IU is playing some of their best ball of the season (a season where they were already playing well) right at the point that IU is considering his dismissal.

-Bball

It's either that, or can him now and risk a lawsuit. They're really stuck in a no-win situation.

Shade
02-19-2008, 10:29 PM
It was never meant to be condescending, however I can see how one could interpret it that way. I think that EJ is one hell of a player and I believe he will do well at the next level. He also seems to be very mature and a good person, as well as a good teamate.:)

Okay, sorry I misinterpreted your statement. :)

Bball
02-19-2008, 11:04 PM
It's either that, or can him now and risk a lawsuit. They're really stuck in a no-win situation.

No, they always had the option to suspend him with pay while they did their investigation.

I'd hate to be in their shoes at this point because I really believe they went into this thinking they would fire him at the end of the week. Now... they've let him win back some support. Maybe they thought the distraction would cause IU to lose these two games and totally lose the fans and make it go down even easier... but it worked just the opposite.

I agree they were just looking to cover themselves from the risk of a lawsuit, but they took made a mistake in their judgement of the best way to do that AND leave their options open.

-Bball

ABADays
02-19-2008, 11:16 PM
It baffles me the way IU scores. There is absolutely no offensive structure to this team, passing is horrible and Gordon is almost always out of control. It's really hard to watch.

That said it was a big win and DJ has earned every accolade he has gotten this year. His turnaround could be one of Sampson's best coaching jobs.

BTW, if Purdue gets some inside presence they are going to be damn tough. I like what I see from them.

Elgin56
02-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Okay, sorry I misinterpreted your statement. :)

Cool.

MagicRat
02-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Two things that may or may not be interesting direction of the last few posts:

1. Todd Lindeman was at the game last night sitting with David Craig. I guess they must've become buddies when Lindeman was in Pacers camp. He was also the subject of some sort of IU history video, where he made some free throws down the stretch that helped beat Purdue.

2. Stemler made some sort of error in the first half and some guy behind me yelled out, "I can't believe who they let wear Damon's jersey!" Made me laugh.

On an unrelated note, Fred Hoiberg was sitting near the IU radio guys all night, presumably doing some scouting for the T-Wolves Leary took him somewhere during halftime, presumably for some free grub.

On another unrelated note: Er-in An-drews Clap-Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap.

Trader Joe
02-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Joe Lunardis newest bracketology is a joke. He has IU still at a 5 seed playing Cuse in the first round and he still has Purdue as a three seed. Makes zero sense.

Robertmto
02-21-2008, 02:14 AM
Joe Lunardis newest bracketology is a joke. He has IU still at a 5 seed playing Cuse in the first round and he still has Purdue as a three seed. Makes zero sense.

those are only updated on Mondays (until we get REALLLLLLLLY close to March Madness)

Bball
02-22-2008, 04:52 AM
Comparable NCAA infractions cases

FRESNO STATE
Decision date: April 26, 2006.
Summary: The majority of the violations consisted of 457 impermissible recruiting phone calls by head coach Ray Lopes -- a former assistant of Sampson's at Oklahoma and Washington State -- and his staff from April 2002 through October 2004. More than half of the calls were made by Lopes. Among other violations, the coaches made multiple weekly calls during recruiting periods when only one call was allowed per week, phoned a potential transfer 12 times without obtaining permission from his school and called high school prospects prior to June 21 of their junior year.
The NCAA's report called the program a "repeat violator" because it had appeared before the Committee on Infractions in 2002 and '03 due to violations by former coach Jerry Tarkanian and his staff, for which the program was put on probation. (Tarkanian took a buyout and retired in 2002.) The report also noted that Lopes, who was hired in 2002, attended both of those committee meetings.
Part of Lopes' explanation was that he had brought a "bad habit" (the committee's words) with him from Oklahoma; he also said he didn't understand some of the rules. The committee said the latter was "not credible. (Lopes) and his staff were provided ample education on recruiting rules and the rules regarding phone calls are well known."
Interestingly, the report said the penalties could have been worse, except that the school had no way of knowing when it hired Lopes that he had been implicated in the Oklahoma recruiting violations. (IU, on the other hand, did know when it hired Sampson of the 577 impermissible phone calls he and his staff had made at Oklahoma.)
Violations: In addition to the impermissible calls, the committee specified that the school demonstrated a "lack of institutional control" by failing to monitor the calls.
Effect on coach: Lopes resigned March 17, 2005. Further, the NCAA gave him a three-year "show cause" order, which meant that any school that hired him would have to explain to the NCAA why it shouldn't be penalized. Lopes appealed the show cause and lost. He is now an assistant coach with the Idaho Stampede in the NBA Development League.

Penalties self-imposed by school:
Postseason ban for the 2005-06 season.
Official recruiting visits cut by 50 percent for 2005-06 academic year.
Recruiting days reduced by 33 percent for the 2005-06 and '06-07 academic years.

Further penalties by NCAA:
Public reprimand and censure.
Four years of probation.
Show-cause order on Lopes for three years.

OKLAHOMA
Here's a look at two recent cases of men's college basketball programs being severely punished by the NCAA, in large part for making impermissible recruiting phone calls. One involves IU coach Kelvin Sampson, the other a former member of Sampson's Oklahoma staff.

Neither case is exactly like IU's, in which part of the focus is on allegations that Sampson lied to the school and NCAA investigators. Nonetheless, some of the same issues -- such as the school's oversight of the program -- are likely to come up when IU appears before the Committee on Infractions on June 14.
Decision date: May 25, 2006.
Summary: The majority of the violations consisted of 577 impermissible recruiting phone calls from 2000 to 2004 by head coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff. More than 40 percent of the calls were made by Sampson. The most common violations were calls made at impermissible times and/or excessive levels; one prospect and his parents received 154 impermissible calls, another 113.
An excerpt from the report: "This case is a result of (Sampson's) complete disregard for Bylaw 13 telephone contact limitations. (Sampson) created and encouraged an atmosphere among his staff of deliberate noncompliance, rationalizing the violations as being the result of 'prioritizing' rules.
"Though he acknowledged that he knowingly violated NCAA recruiting legislation, he did not take the phone contact violations seriously. He considered them to be unimportant in comparison to, for example, the provision of significant material inducements for prospects, even though the end result could have been the same: securing the commitment of a prospective (athlete) by operating outside recruiting rules. (Sampson) preferred to think of what he and his staff were doing as 'hard work' rather than cheating."
Violations: In addition to the impermissible calls, Sampson was charged with "failing to monitor" his and his staff's recruiting activities and "failing to maintain an atmosphere of compliance" among his staff in that area. Although the NCAA enforcement staff had charged Oklahoma with a "lack of institutional control" -- one of the most serious offenses in the eyes of the NCAA -- the Committee on Infractions decided that wasn't warranted because a system for monitoring calls did exist (though it largely wasn't followed) and because "the violations involved only one aspect of one sport."
(IU has not been charged with lack of institutional control. As in that Oklahoma case, Sampson is charged with failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance and failure to monitor his program.)
Effect on coach: Sampson had left Oklahoma for Indiana about two months before the case went before the Committee on Infractions. But because the NCAA issued a "show cause" against him, IU was effectively forced to ban Sampson from making any recruiting phone calls, being present when assistants made such calls and taking part in any off-campus recruiting for one year.

Penalties self-imposed by Oklahoma:
Sampson was banned from off-campus recruiting at Oklahoma in July 2005 and restricted during other times from August 2005 through June 2006. (The self-imposed penalties came before Sampson left for IU.)
Sampson forfeited a scheduled bonus and could not renegotiate his contract or get a raise for two years. The university estimated his loss of salary to be $180,000.
Loss of two scholarships in 2005-06 and one in '06-07.
Restrictions on recruiting calls.
Reduced paid recruiting visits by three in 2005-06.
Total recruiting days reduced in 2005-06 and '06-07.

Further penalties from NCAA:
Show-cause order on Sampson that led to recruiting restrictions at IU.
Further sanctions against assistant coaches.

Indy Star
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080222/SPORTS0601/802220491

Bball
02-24-2008, 01:43 AM
I thought Dakich did a very good job in the post game presser. Not sure how many saw it since it was on the Big Ten Network.

He took a lot of time and answered a lot of questions. He did NOT throw Sampson under the bus nor did he even look to separate the team from Sampson. He talked about this being Sampson's team. He talked about how much not only the players liked Sampson but himself as well.

I don't remember the phrasing but he acted like he had no problem with the players not showing for practice. He said they are 18-22 years old and this (decision) had happened so quickly that they needed 'their space' and time to absorb things. He said he's far older and it was hard on him as well so he understood.

I missed a part of all of it but I think I heard him downplay the boycott and act like there wasn't so much a boycott brewing as just some players needing some time.

If any of the Knight Knation thought Dakich would throw Sampson to the dogs and separate from him, they were disappointed.

-Bball

DisplacedKnick
02-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't remember the phrasing but he acted like he had no problem with the players not showing for practice. He said they are 18-22 years old and this (decision) had happened so quickly that they needed 'their space' and time to absorb things. He said he's far older and it was hard on him as well so he understood.

And I suppose that not giving players any penalty will insure that something similar won't happen the next time something like this goes on.

Oh wait . . .

At least they didn't let the players choose their coach this time. That's progress, I suppose.

Coop
02-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I realize the players have been through a lot the past week or so, but was anyone else extremely disappointed with how they carried themselves throughout the game last night? It almost felt like a loss just because of some of the instances that occurred during the game.

Trader Joe
02-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Only one guy looked like he didn't want to be there, and that was Ellis. Everyone else played their butts off IMO.
Dakich isn't a great coach though you could see that immediately he failed to make adjustments to NU's offense quick enough and when he finally did they were questionable to say the least.
However it was nice to see DJ and Dakich embrace right after Dan's interview on BTN. They embraced like two men who had been through an incredible amount over the past 48 hours, but had grown to a stronger mutual respect after all of it.

Trader Joe
02-24-2008, 02:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3261248

Very, very good article by Adam Rittenberg of ESPN. He recaps the events of Friday as they actually happened. The players never threatened to boycott the game, and whats more Dakich knew that the six that did not attend practice were not going to be there.

Elgin56
02-24-2008, 03:59 PM
How do you all feel about the players putting Sampson's name on their shoes?

Trader Joe
02-24-2008, 04:21 PM
I feel like they should be allowed to do it if they so choose. I know that to them Sampson was far more than just a basketball coach and that is why they are putting his initials on their shoes. I'd hope that they realize that Sampson is no longer here because he broke the rules. If they want to honor Sampson for what he meant to each of them individually then that is fine with me.

Kraft
02-24-2008, 05:05 PM
How do you all feel about the players putting Sampson's name on their shoes?

I found it silly. It's a giant screw off to the Indiana administration. Really not the contradictory image you want people representing your school to display.

But, in the grand scheme, it's not worth IU getting in a tiff about. Let them do it once, let them blow off their steam. It's not like the Hoosiers' image is great right now, anyway.

Trader Joe
02-24-2008, 05:11 PM
I found it silly. It's a giant screw off to the Indiana administration. Really not the contradictory image you want people representing your school to display.

But, in the grand scheme, it's not worth IU getting in a tiff about. Let them do it once, let them blow off their steam. It's not like the Hoosiers' image is great right now, anyway.

Did the coaches leaving Sampson and his wife's seats open on the team bus and team plane bother you this much as well? Was Dakich trying to tell the administration to "screw off" when he did that or when he told BTN after the game that this was Sampson's team?

Elgin56
02-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Did the coaches leaving Sampson and his wife's seats open on the team bus and team plane bother you this much as well? Was Dakich trying to tell the administration to "screw off" when he did that or when he told BTN after the game that this was Sampson's team?

Now why do you think he did this? That's right to appease the players.

Trader Joe
02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Now why do you think he did this? That's right to appease the players.

Right...Or it could be because Dakich does respect Kelvin Sampson when it comes to being a basketball coach and may have had just as much an emotional connection to him...

Big Smooth
02-24-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't find it necessary to nitpick the player's emotions in this situation. The coaches seem just as bothered by the whole fiasco as the players. They are working through this together as a team. The only player I'm concerned about is Ellis because he almost lost it on the court last night on more than one occasion. He needs to get that negative energy in check, it will only hurt the team. Everyone else seemed focused on the game.

Kraft
02-24-2008, 06:58 PM

All of it is silly. Everyone in the situation should simply lie low and play basketball. That's the best way to deflect the attention and move on from this situation. Dakich should be spouting off every sports cliche in every interview he does.

If it's about the game -- and not Kelvin Sampson -- that's the absolute best situation for Indiana's basketball program.

Shade
02-27-2008, 12:07 AM
Good win over OSU tonight, though it was a bit closer than I would have liked (probably didn't help that the Bucksters kept hitting every trey they jacked up at the end; even Koufos was getting in the act).

However, we're definitely not playing at the same level we did during the MSU and PU games. I don't know if that is due to the players' emotions following Sampson's resignation or Dakich's coaching.

Coop
02-27-2008, 06:50 PM
It looked to me like DJ was really hurting against OSU last night. I noticed him limping on several occasions. I'm hoping it's not serious. DJ losing his explosiveness is the last thing we need heading into the tourney. If we can get through MSU with a W, I would really think about giving DJ a game or two off to rest up.

jmoney2584
02-28-2008, 03:17 AM
It looked to me like DJ was really hurting against OSU last night. I noticed him limping on several occasions. I'm hoping it's not serious. DJ losing his explosiveness is the last thing we need heading into the tourney. If we can get through MSU with a W, I would really think about giving DJ a game or two off to rest up.

I second that

Trader Joe
02-28-2008, 03:28 AM
Can't rest DJ. Not even for a game. Our frontcourt would just get destroyed. Even against Penn St. Its not an option.

avoidingtheclowns
02-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Can't rest DJ. Not even for a game. Our frontcourt would just get destroyed. Even against Penn St. Its not an option.

yup, basically.

Trader Joe
03-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Big game today. I say its about time we go in and beat Sparty in the Breslin center.

pwee31
03-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Big game today. I say its about time we go in and beat Sparty in the Breslin center.

No kidding, a win today, and that Big 10 title will really be in reach! :happydanc

Though I feel the Big 10 tourney has become the most important thing to win, when it comes to seeding and things like that!

Let's win them both! :dance:

Trader Joe
03-02-2008, 03:13 PM
I blame CBS for IU's poor start.

avoidingtheclowns
03-02-2008, 03:37 PM
this is disgusting

Trader Joe
03-02-2008, 03:47 PM
You combine Michigan State having the game of their lives with IU refusing to play defense and this is what you get. If anyone needs anymore proof as to why Dakich should not even get a chance to be head coach after this season here ya go.

Trader Joe
03-02-2008, 03:56 PM
So much for getting your own big ten trophy you :censored:ing bums. I am completely ashamed of the effort on the court right now.

Shade
03-02-2008, 03:59 PM
I think this is a combination of an emotional let-down in the aftermath of Sampson's resignation along with Dakich's poor coaching. MSU is nowhere near this good.

We're seeing the opposite of what happened when Knight was fired and the players rallied around Davis.

No tourney run for us this year.

Kofi
03-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm interested in seeing how Gordon responds in the second half. Is he gonna just concede defeat or does he believe IU can fight back?

grace
03-02-2008, 04:19 PM
I think this is a combination of an emotional let-down in the aftermath of Sampson's resignation along with Dakich's poor coaching. MSU is nowhere near this good.

Considering the two teams just played 2 weeks ago you wouldn't think the coaching staff would have to remind them that Drew Neitzel needs to be guarded.

Before the game started Kegboy asked me if I thought MSU could beat IU (since I have the Big Ten network he thinks I should know). At first I said no, but then I qualified it with if MSU played to their potential they could beat them. And then there's the whole mystique of it being Senior day.

pwee31
03-02-2008, 04:54 PM
No emotion from the team. Probably should've let Sampson finish the season IMO.

In all fairness, IU hasn't won at Breslin since 1991!

They blew them out at home last year as well, and then went into MSU and lost.

Elgin56
03-02-2008, 05:39 PM

We're seeing the opposite of what happened when Knight was fired and the players rallied around Davis.

No tourney run for us this year.

If anyone believes that these players are giving their all for Dakich is a fool. They don't care if they mail the rest of the season in, just to make the point that Dakich is not a good coach. They have not played all out since the cheat was fired. Give a new coach or even Dakich for that matter, his own recruits and you will see what I am talking about. It is truly sad that these players have chosen to lay down on Dakich and IU.

Trader Joe
03-02-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't know if they have laid down just yet. I think we got caught up in the perfect storm today. Senior day, combined with the fact that we blew them out at home, and the fact that Dakich really can't hold a candle to Izzo when it comes to coaching and we had no chance today. The team is pretty spent right now emotionally and physically. I won't say they have quit just yet. We'll see that for sure over the next two games and the Big Ten tourney.

This game really reminds me of the game the Colts played at Jacksonville during our super bowl season. Playing a team on the road that really wants to beat you plus they have the skills to expose all your weaknesses. It was just a perfect storm for both teams to get blown out.

D-BONE
03-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Throwing this all at Dakich's feet wouldn't be fair. Yes, coaching may be a part of that equation, but the team could have at least controlled coming out and playing with some emotion. They were completely flat in the first half.

Look, I want IU to win as much as anyone else and I know a lot of people on here will want to make this into a Sampson vs. Dakich coaching thing. I just don't buy that.

Reason is that IU this season, even prior to when the Sampson thing really broke, just has not impressed me as a serious national title contender. Big Ten maybe. But a Big Ten contender and a national contender are not synonymous this year.

This team has won under Sampson and Dakich based on talent. That will only carry you so far when you go up against top notch competition.

They've been questionable on D and the boards all year and that hasn't changed. They have no depth in their inside rotation and neither Sampson nor Dakich has instilled a philosphy or installed an offensive system beyond set a ball screen and watch the whoever the dribbler is jack or three or take it to the hoop.

I'll be rooting them on all the way and I'll be ecstatic if they prove me wrong. However, they've yet to convince me that they are anything special.

Shade
03-03-2008, 01:18 AM
If the players are laying down right now (which I believe they are, at least partially), they're going to regret it later on when they realize they had the chance to win a title but were too selfish to get the job done.

IU played their best games of the season when they thought Sampson was about to get fired, and have played badly since then. That's too much of a coincidence, IMO.