PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else think the refs stunk tonight?

brichard
05-29-2004, 02:22 AM
I know it is unusual to complain about officiating after a victory, but I try to be objective about it. I personally thought that tonight was the first time I saw some home cooking. There were two straight charging calls on the Pacers, which appeared to show the Pistons defender in the circle. There was just a streak of ghost calls tonight. I think the Officials felt so bad for the Pistons that they tried to give them a break.

The fourth quarter seemed particularly bogus (ghost fall on Anderson,) but maybe I missed something. I really felt like the refs were trying to make the game competitive and in doing so scewed the Pacers on several close calls tonight.

TheSauceMaster
05-29-2004, 02:27 AM
I didn't see a problem with the refs , there is always questionable calls for ethier team and I haven't seen a game this year in the playoffs where the refs might have blown a call.

Personally I like it , seemed pretty even too me and notice rasheed was acting like a idiot tonight ? you can thank Joey Crawford for that ;)

Anthem
05-29-2004, 02:28 AM
I know it is unusual to complain about officiating after a victory, but I try to be objective about it. I personally thought that tonight was the first time I saw some home cooking.

That's the first time you saw home cooking? They got home cooking IN OUR HOUSE!

Steveman
05-29-2004, 02:38 AM
Yeah ... I'll agree. BTW, when JO got hurt, did anyone happen to hear what he said to the ref while he was still lying on the floor? I thought it sounded something like, "They were all over my fu*kin' *** man!"

TheSauceMaster
05-29-2004, 02:40 AM
Yeah ... I'll agree. BTW, when JO got hurt, did anyone happen to hear what he said to the ref while he was still lying on the floor? I thought it sounded something like, "They were all over my fu*kin' *** man!"

yeah , him and al did cuss ..you weren't hearing things :laugh:

JOneal7
05-29-2004, 03:12 AM
of course :).
That was awesome. Lol you hear al "Cmon man get up, your alright..." I think he was trying to convince himself JO was ok. LOL
good thing he played tho. I saw us collapsing the whole season right there. But thank heavans we didn't :)

waxman
05-29-2004, 04:36 AM
NBA refs are consistantly....inconsistant.... I don't know what that's about....Ya know there seems to be no ryhme or reason.....at times...most of these officials have been in the league for 20+ years you'd think they could recognize flops and what not.....and they could call travels on nearly every possession or 3 seconds.... but they only do occasionaly and who knows why.....

It has been an issue for years....as long as they don't decide the outcome....you just live with it.

MSA2CF
05-29-2004, 09:57 AM

yeah , him and al did cuss ..you weren't hearing things :laugh:

I think JO told the ref: "Detroit knocked me on my **ckin ***, man."

MSA2CF
05-29-2004, 09:59 AM
The refereeing will never be perfect.

I will say that this was the "best" officiated game of the series. Every other game I kept screaming at them to stop calling the touch fouls and it looked to me like they cut down on them tonight...Maybe it was because David Stern was in the house? :whoknows:

Hicks
05-29-2004, 11:55 AM
I was not happy at the beginning of the 4th, because they racked up 3 fouls in a short amount of time, and there was one time where JO gets knocked on offense, no call, then he goes down and is called for a hand foul. Bleh.

But beyond that, it was by far the best officiated game. They didn't let Detroit have their way with us in the paint, and low and behold they weren't "dominant" anymore.

Overall I was VERY happy Joey Crawford was there, he kept things from getting ridiculous.

Unclebuck
05-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Game #2 was by far the worse officiated game of this series. The players in that game had no idea what was going to be called when. The other three games have been OK. But I thought game #4 was the best so far.

Two refs to look for coming up.

Steve Javie and Danny Crawford, have not had either of them yet in this series.

And in my referee power rankings, Danny Crawford is number 2 and Javie is #3.

ABADays
05-29-2004, 12:34 PM
The only thing I noticed is as physical as the first 3 games were there seemed to be an awful lot of ticky-tack fouls.

beast23
05-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Game #4 was BY FAR the best officiated game of the ECS. It was simply easier to make the calls for the referees.

The Pacers were hitting from the perimeter, so did not force confrontation with an opponent in the paint on nearly every possession. Because we were moving the ball much better, our inside play did not meet with a double-team on the ball every single time we did get the ball into the paint.

We also pushed the ball much better in transition, leading to fewer "grind it out" possessions.

This game was called much better. But that wasn't because of any significant improvement in the refs. The game was just much easier to call.

SycamoreKen
05-29-2004, 08:06 PM
I thought it was pretty good last night. I knew the start of the 4th would be tough because a team down by 20 + is going to get the benafit of the calls for about 5 minutes. It happens in every game, no matter who is behind. I was glad we withstood the run and kept the lead.

TheSauceMaster
05-29-2004, 08:35 PM
I thought it was pretty good last night. I knew the start of the 4th would be tough because a team down by 20 + is going to get the benafit of the calls for about 5 minutes. It happens in every game, no matter who is behind.

Great Observation and I agree :D

Kegboy
05-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Game #2 was by far the worse officiated game of this series. The players in that game had no idea what was going to be called when. The other three games have been OK. But I thought game #4 was the best so far.

Okay, I'll bite. #1 is...?

Hicks
05-29-2004, 10:19 PM

I know I'm speaking for UB (sorry), but I'm almost positive #1 is Joey Crawford.

Kegboy
05-29-2004, 10:27 PM

I know I'm speaking for UB (sorry), but I'm almost positive #1 is Joey Crawford.

That's what I thought, but I thought he'd have said that since Joey just ref'd the last game. :shrug:

Btw, I used to have a list of my favorite refs. Then, one by one, they would come into Conseco and f* us over, so I've officially stopped saying if I like a ref or not.

DTropps
05-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Everybody always laughs at me when I make these posts but I'll do it again here. I honestly think officiating has never lost a team a game. Unless you play the perfect game and lose because of bad calls I don't worry about it. And even if people want to worry about it what good does it do?

The older I get the more I focus on my team and not the refs. It's to the point I don't even worry about the calls. Every team thinks their team gets jobbed - especially on the road. You almost always see conspiracy theories in every city. That's ridiculous.

Honestly I think officiating an NBA game is almost impossible. I think people seriously underestimate the challenges of officiating. When put in that context I think they do a pretty good job.

Kegboy
05-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Everybody always laughs at me when I make these posts but I'll do it again here. I honestly think officiating has never lost a team a game. Unless you play the perfect game and lose because of bad calls I don't worry about it. And even if people want to worry about it what good does it do?

The older I get the more I focus on my team and not the refs. It's to the point I don't even worry about the calls. Every team thinks their team gets jobbed - especially on the road. You almost always see conspiracy theories in every city. That's ridiculous.

Honestly I think officiating an NBA game is almost impossible. I think people seriously underestimate the challenges of officiating. When put in that context I think they do a pretty good job.

I might was well beat everyone else to the punch:

Game 3, ECF '99. Otherwise known as the 4-point play.

Jess Kersey himself admitted a year later he screwed us and personally gift-wrapped the game for NY. Oh, and he whined about losing sleep over how horrible he felt about it, and that "no one understands that referee's are people too. We make mistakes, but we have feelings too. I wish people would realize that." *******.

DTropps
05-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Kegboy,
How long was that game? It wasn't a play long. Get a 10-point lead and the play is meaningless. I had Pacer fans throw that one at me on the other board I posted. And I've had people bring up the 72 Olympic bkball team, the Nebraska fifth-down play and all sorts of stuff. In all those sitiuations there were times when the losing team could've dictated the winner well before those plays.

I refuse to let one or two plays - regardless when they happen - to say the officiating decided a game. We had the fantom Laimbeer foul too on Kareem "losing" us a title. I just don't accept that. We didn't play a perfect game so complaining about the officials is pretty meaningless.

-------------

I also look at it this way. The players are humans and so are the officials. They try their darndest and do a good job. I can live with their decisions - right or wrong.

brichard
05-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Interesting observations. I kind of figured most people would have been happy with the officiating. The general rule is that if your team wins, the officiating was great... if they lose, the refs sucked! :)

The first three games of the series I more found myself yelling at the players. Not that they heard me mind you, but my television set got an ear full! Last nights game had me yelling WTF more than any other game int he series. The first five minute rule by Sycamore Ken is mostly what I'm talking about.

I'm sure this is my homer nature, but I frequently see that blankity blank circle under the basket nullify any charges we try to take, but I rarely see it benefit us on the other end. It is kind of like the Colts and the instant replay rule... just doesn't seem to go our way. :unimpressed:

Unclebuck
05-30-2004, 12:22 AM
Yes I rank Joey Crawford as the best official in the NBA. Yes he is quick with the technicals, but he is the best.

I only saw a little of the Lakers v T-Wolves game tonight but they had the exact same crew who did Pacers v Pistons game #2. Bennett Salvatore. Luckily we won't have him again.

ChicagoJ
05-30-2004, 12:46 AM
Two comments. I thought I heard Jermaine say, "He's got his :censor: knee in my @$$." So I hit replay on my TiVo and I agree. I'd think its awfully hard to fight for post position when you're being violated *that way* by a knee. :P

Second, my top-three is the same as UB's. I also include Bob Delaney and Leon Wood in my top-five.

Unclebuck
05-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Two comments. I thought I heard Jermaine say, "He's got his :censor: knee in my @$$." So I hit replay on my TiVo and I agree. I'd think its awfully hard to fight for post position when you're being violated *that way* by a knee. :P

Second, my top-three is the same as UB's. I also include Bob Delaney and Leon Wood in my top-five.

I would not put Leon Wood in my top 20. Bob Delaney, is in my top 10. Right now i don't know who I would put 4th and 5th.

My all time favorite was Earl Strom. he was the best