PDA

View Full Version : Kenny

zxc
05-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Yeah. It's a shame I think he could be effective if he had had a role on the team but not playing at all since the first 20 games of the season or whatever no way you can bring him in now and expect much.

Anthem
05-29-2004, 12:33 AM
He's just rusty.

He's not a great defensive player, but neither is Tinsley. Anderson's problem tonight was that he hasn't played NBA basketball in months.

ROCislandWarrior
Not kenny's fault.

He rode the bench for the entire 2nd half of the season and the playoffs, then ask him to play...very tough

BillS
Wrong, I think we will need to see more of Kenny because I'm afraid Mel won't be up to as many minutes as he's been playing all year.

Kenny looked OK but was very rusty. More playing time fixes that.

So, we just gotta get 20-point leads in the next 2 games so he can get the time he needs :evillaugh:

Hicks
05-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Yeah, before tonight I was open to trying him, but there's just no way. Billups will score 30+.

Plus since AJ's finally doing well (IMO), I really can't complain much. I thought late in the game AJ didn't do a good job of keeping us from just standing around, but early in the game when he was attacking we did well.

Tinsley must play.

TheSauceMaster
05-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Your not gonna knock much rust off in 3 mins of play , Kenny is alot better than what I seen tonight. With Tinsley hurt you might see alot more Kennny

Hicks
05-29-2004, 12:38 AM
He was rusty, but no way is he even AS good on D as Tinsley.

Unclebuck
05-29-2004, 12:39 AM
I don't like the Kenny on Billups matchup at all.

if Tinsley cannot play or cannot play effectively.

We need AJ ready to play 35 minutes and kenny can play when Billups comes out of the game.

But it is really unfair to Kenny to bring him in during the 4th quarter of these games when he has not played in weeks.

Having said that if Tinsley cannot play at all, I would expect to see Kenny start.

But it was just burning me up when people were like why don't they give Kenny a chance, you don't just give a guy a chance, you have to work him into the line and play him when he can be effective.

These games are so mich different from regular season games it is not even funny.

TheSauceMaster
05-29-2004, 12:40 AM

Don't think anyone said he was , matter a fact I have seen alot say his defense is what is lacking ..you won't get anyone to say KA can play good defense.

Hicks
05-29-2004, 12:41 AM

Don't think anyone said he was , matter a fact I have seen alot say his defense is what is lacking ..you won't get anyone to say KA can play good defense.

I just got the feeling some were wanting to write of Kenny's bad D as rust-- it's not. It's always gonna be there. :laugh:

Now, against a team who doesn't have a Billups-level PG in the scoring department, I think we could get away with it. But not Billups.

Unclebuck
05-29-2004, 12:44 AM
My point was simply that people all over this message board and elsewhere have been calling for KA to take AJ's minutes despite the fact that he hasn't played forever. I was just pointing out that tonight showed why that is a terrible idea.

I thought you made your point very well and very clearly, and I agree with your point.

indygeezer
05-29-2004, 12:45 AM
After e was taken out he looked like he was loking for a vomit sock.

Bball
05-29-2004, 12:47 AM
Kenny getting those few minutes tonight were terrible for his career. Had he stayed on the bench some were about to make him a frontrunner for league MVP next year! ;)

It's amazing how some players' stock can rise sitting on the bench. :confused:

-Bball

Unclebuck
05-29-2004, 12:54 AM
It's amazing how some players' stock can rise sitting on the bench. :confused:

-Bball

it is amazing, I call it the backup quarterback syndrome. In most NFL cities, not Indy because Manning is so good, but in most cities, the backup quarteback in the fans and media's eyes becomes better and better as he sits on the bench, holding the clipboard.

Hoop
05-29-2004, 01:04 AM
I like the ideal of Kenny starting if Tinsley can't go next game, although AJ would get more minutes. I'm not worried about Billups going off early, he did that in game one, then Larry reamed his @ss for shooting to much. If Billups is shooting Rip and Sheed ain't, that's a good thing. I'm not sure if Billups knows "how to" play lately, Larry is riding him pretty hard and he's thinking about whether to shoot or pass to much.

TheSauceMaster
05-29-2004, 01:09 AM
AJ has been good this series , no need to use Kenny unless Tinsley can go next game which means he would have to play AJ can't play 48 mins , I wonder if he can even play a solid 35 mins ...so we shall see

I really hate to Say and I am a AJ hater as many might know , but AJ is playing well this series and I gotta give AJ credit.

waterjater
05-29-2004, 01:33 AM
The good thing about AJ, is he's been here before and he was part of the Nets that spanked Detroit last year, so he should be a valuable asset in that regard!

Water

sweabs
05-29-2004, 01:45 AM
I'll tell you one thing. When Kenny came into that game - Detroit made their run which got that crowd fired up like you wouldn't believe. I don't know if the TV did justice to just how loud it was in there - but it was deafening - and had me worried for a bit b/c they climbed to within 11...scary situation.

Steveman
05-29-2004, 02:09 AM
Well, we had to see what KA could do, he's a vet that has had a decent career. I'm sure that some of it was rust, anyway, we had to try that experiment.

TheSauceMaster
05-29-2004, 02:14 AM
Well, we had to see what KA could do, he's a vet that has had a decent career. I'm sure that some of it was rust, anyway, we had to try that experiment.

I agree with that , I seen many in the chat question why Austin was Starting over Foster ;)

brichard
05-29-2004, 02:18 AM
I don't think there was anything "unfair" about putting in KA tonight. It was what should have been a very safe move for Carlisle. You have a hurt guy in Tinsley and what should be a very safe lead. Little did we know that Detroit would make such a quick run.

I do think that KA's play is being a bit understated. He was playing solid "D" on Chauncey before he made that ugly bank shot from the side. Please don't tell me that was intentional. I also don't think there was any way that a foul should have been called based on the allowable contact this series.

If you take that one slop shot away, who knows how much more we could have seen of KA. You can put any player in for a short time and if he does well, people think he is the next MVP. If he does poorly, people are ready to put him out to pasture. We may in fact need KA at some point and as a veteran I expect him to do okay. I don't expect him to do great, but he should be servicable.

Crusher
05-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Artest at the PG is necessarily a bad thing. He and Freddie in the back court might be able to get it done.

Another radical twist, but how about starting this:

Artest
Reggie
Cro (or al?)
JO
Cro (or Jeff?)

indygeezer
05-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Freddie as a back-up PG is a thought. Has height and defense to bother them but ball handling and distributing????

Kenny may prepare differently for the next game realizing that he probably will be used more. THere is a difference between preparing as if you might be used and preparing KNOWING you'll be used.

Young
05-29-2004, 11:47 AM
We need KA to be effective. I would like to see him get more time over AJ because Kenny can create his own shot and give us 10 points. We have no one to create his own shot like Kenny can.

ABADays
05-29-2004, 12:02 PM
We're going to need Kenny to go all the way. The same way we need the oft critized Croshere. Cut the guy some slack.

beast23
05-29-2004, 01:32 PM
No way in hell do I start KA next game if Tinsley cannot play.

The reason? That means he has to guard Billups straight out of the gate and I think that is a terrible gamble. We would basically hope that KA gets untracked offensively to gain a little confidence, while also hoping Billups doesn't go ballistic against KA and also gain confidence.

I personally think that Billups would gain the edge and then whoever plays PG for us during the game would totally have his hands full trying to shut down Billups.

We have enough problems with Sheed and Rip. Prince is also capable of getting hot. We want AJ in at the start if Tinsley cannot play. We do not want to risk Detroit having multiple players getting off to a good start.

Millerartest
05-30-2004, 12:23 AM
People are so quick to pass judgment on Anderson the same way they would pass judgment on Croshere. So he didn't play very well in 3 minutes of action and that should put to rest him playing in the series? That's a little fast if you ask me. Granted, I would have pulled him the way he was playing defense and allowing the Pistons to creep back in, but I do think the Pacers could have given him a try running the point when no one was doing much of anything offensively for about four games. Anderson shouldn't be put in to protect leads, but if the Pacers revert back to 12 point quarters with Johnson running the point and are in desparate need of an offensive spark, then it not's such a heretical idea.

ChicagoJ
05-30-2004, 01:48 AM
Not everybody that's been saying "AJ is playing too many minutes" wanted KA in the game.

Unfortunately, with Tinsley's injury progressing, I would rather see Rick expiriment with Fred as the backup PG.

AJ has surprised me with his almost-acceptable level of play in this series, but his game is build on a foundation of playing cards, so it could crumble at any time.

I hope Tinsley can 'gut out' 28 to 32 minutes tomorrow night. Detroit may not be able to 'solve' our new frontcourt, so I'd expect to see a tremendous amount of backcourt pressure.

JOneal7
05-30-2004, 04:12 AM
it's been that long since he played? DANG! how long has it been since primoz played ;)
lol
i think tinsley will tough it out. and even him on one leg he still beats em, lol

Anthem
05-30-2004, 04:57 AM
Freddie as a back-up PG is a thought. Has height and defense to bother them but ball handling and distributing????

Well, Jone's ballhandling is better than AJs. Distributing? Hard to gauge the two... neither is primarily a distributer.

F.Jones played point guard extensively in the summer league this year.