PDA

View Full Version : Croshere..

Ryan
05-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Anyone else like the PT he's getting? I think his experience in the playoffs gives us a HUGE boost.

We shall see.

Anthem
05-28-2004, 09:19 PM
If he gets the same PT in the next game he'll be terrible. :laugh:

Seriously, I like Croshere a lot, I just wish we weren't paying him so much. I REALLY like him, though, as a center. Not a PF, and never again a SF, but a center. He's big and can bang, but he's got foot speed and a shooting touch.

Think Rodney Rogers (when he played for the Celts).

Hoop
05-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro Cro

obnoxiousmodesty
05-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Rick comes out looking like a genius. What a game by Austin!

Hicks
05-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Rick comes out looking like a genius. What a game by Austin!

EEEEEXACTLY

Bball
05-28-2004, 10:44 PM
So if the Pacers go on to win this series.... will Austin earn his contract? How much is a finals appearance worth to a team and its fanbase?

-Bball

Hicks
05-28-2004, 10:45 PM
So if the Pacers go on to win this series.... will Austin earn his contract? How much is a finals appearance worth to a team and its fanbase?

-Bball

Works for me! :D

TheSauceMaster
05-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Croshere always Plays his Best in the Playoffs , He's the Kinda guy that can easily become a X factor

zxc
05-28-2004, 11:01 PM
He was huge tonight for sure. Though I worry about them trying to exploit him on D next one as they never really tried tonight. But not like Foster has been doing anything special on either end so should be alright.

bulletproof
05-28-2004, 11:01 PM

-Bball

I was thinking the same thing, Bball. That was a $47 million performance.

PaceBalls
05-28-2004, 11:02 PM
It was the perfect adjustment. I guess losing 2 in a row to sheeds D was enough to make Rick shake things up.

Props are dooooooooo!

Grey
05-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Two questions:

Why doesn't this guy play shooting guard? He has the size and he has the range.

Who's mispronouncing his name, Brad Nesler or Doc Rivers?

Will Galen
05-28-2004, 11:28 PM
It was the perfect adjustment. I guess losing 2 in a row to sheeds D was enough to make Rick shake things up.

Props are dooooooooo!

Giving Rick props is good, but I thought that was the obvious move to make and I said so.

Last post at http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3537

I'll admit I'm not as basketball smart as 90% of you guys, but if I could see that, just about everyone could.

FireTheCoach
05-28-2004, 11:29 PM

-Bball

good ol' Awesome Croshere

ya know..... I always did really like that kids game..... :rolleyes:

:therock:

Hicks
05-28-2004, 11:31 PM

Nessler; I believe. CroshEEEEre is wrong. it's an Urr sound. Rhymes with Closure.

FireTheCoach
05-28-2004, 11:35 PM
huh... I always thought it was more like "CROWS EAR".... ?

:chuckle:

waxman
05-28-2004, 11:38 PM
Timely and clutch.

beast23
05-28-2004, 11:47 PM

Props are dooooooooo!

Giving Rick props is good, but I thought that was the obvious move to make and I said so.

I'll admit I'm not as basketball smart as 90% of you guys, but if I could see that, just about everyone could.Good call, Will.

I was calling for a warm body, any warm body who could hit an outside shot. I just assumed that it would be a guard or a small forward.

With Austin on the perimeter and hitting, we essentially killed two problems with a single player: 1) We desparately needed to hit perimeter shots to open up the inside game for JO and Ron. 2) A Detroit big man was pulled out of rebound position.

Carlisle looks like a genious because Austin was hitting his shots. We are fortunate, because this game wouldn't have been nearly as easy if Austin was not hitting from the perimeter.

joro
05-28-2004, 11:48 PM
Anyone else like the PT he's getting? I think his experience in the playoffs gives us a HUGE boost.

We shall see.

In his postgame interview, JO gave the credit for opening up the inside to Cro.

I say Cro starts again in games 5 and 6 and we win the series in 6.

waxman
05-28-2004, 11:50 PM

Props are dooooooooo!

I'll admit I'm not as basketball smart as 90% of you guys, but if I could see that, just about everyone could.Good call, Will.

I was calling for a warm body, any warm body who could hit an outside shot. I just assumed that it would be a guard or a small forward.

With Austin on the perimeter and hitting, we essentially killed two problems with a single player: 1) We desparately needed to hit perimeter shots to open up the inside game for JO and Ron. 2) A Detroit big man was pulled out of rebound position.

Carlisle looks like a genious because Austin was hitting his shots. We are fortunate, because this game wouldn't have been nearly as easy if Austin was not hitting from the perimeter.

you just wonder if Bird had any input in the decision????

Slick Pinkham
05-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Will Austin get a DNP-CD in game 5?

oh, wait...

That was a DIFFERENT coach who would do that.

:)

arkman40
05-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Gotta feel good for Croshere. Here's a guy who has been beat up by pretty much everyone with a basketball opinion (myself included), and here is being the centerpiece of an crucial adjustment that completely changed the momentum of the series.

And it wasn't just tonight, the 4th quarter of Game 3 too. The Detroit big man guarding him can not leave him to hang out in the paint blocking shots. It was absolutely killing us to to have the Wallace borthers both down there guarding the basket. And those '3's he hit in the 3rd quarter...just huge.

Unclebuck
05-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Cro defends Ben and J.O defends Sheed, so I really don't think Ben can exploit Croshere offensively. Rebounding maybe, but Ben is going to get 15-20 rebs anyway

arenn
05-29-2004, 12:18 AM
If we end up winning the championship, Croshere will have been worth the salary we paid him.

Unclebuck
05-29-2004, 12:34 AM
I have not been shy about my opinions on Croshere. I generally want Foster in the game instead of Cro.

But I never doubted Croshere's ability to get the job done, but if you are going to play him at all he has to play 15 minutes a game. He is not a good short term player. He needs to be able to miss a few shots, make a few mistakes.

But his work ethic is without question second to none, he'll do whatever the coach asksand he is the best postgame interview on the team.

BillS
05-29-2004, 12:39 AM
Not only is there no way in the world our previous coach makes this adjustment, I think there is no way in the world that Larry Brown would ever have made this adjustment if he was coaching the Pacers.

For LB, starting lineups were sacred, something that was never broken except during training camp or due to injury.

Someone asked Rick a question in the postgame something about what he would change and he kind of brushed it off. I was hoping he would say, "Well, we all know I can't make any adjustments ..." :o

LAPacer
05-29-2004, 12:40 AM
It was scary when Cro missed his first 3, and then his first dunk. I'm glad he warmed up. He was great with clutch shooting. bvI don't think he'll be as stellar again, but if he just spreads the D and make everyone else better, then we'll be allright.

Grey
05-29-2004, 12:59 AM

Same one who keeps saying Conseco a little strange to me. He puts the emphasis on the first syllable rather than the second.

It must be Rivers, does the same thing with "Detroit".

sweabs
05-29-2004, 02:03 AM

Props are dooooooooo!

you just wonder if Bird had any input in the decision????

EXACTLY what I was wondering... :idea: .

Will Galen
05-29-2004, 03:12 AM

I read he decided to start Croshere after thinking about his and the Pacer's performance in the 4th quarter of game three.

No doubt he conferred with Mike Brown and his other coach's, and he probably told Bird what he was going to do. Who knows whether Bird sits in on the coaches meetings? I rather doubt it though.

kerosene
05-29-2004, 03:22 AM

Same one who keeps saying Conseco a little strange to me. He puts the emphasis on the first syllable rather than the second.

I always get a kick out of how announcers and the ESPN guys pronounce both Conseco and Croshere. Legler is like "Cro-shear". He's our Euro. Yep.

waxman
05-29-2004, 04:47 AM

I read he decided to start Croshere after thinking about his and the Pacer's performance in the 4th quarter of game three.

No doubt he conferred with Mike Brown and his other coach's, and he probably told Bird what he was going to do. Who knows whether Bird sits in on the coaches meetings? I rather doubt it though.

I doubt Bird would micro-manage in that way...because he's been there and he doesn't seem like he'd want someone looking over his shoulder....but ya gotta think that he would have some input....and that Rick would be open to it because they have history and bird has always been loyal to him....and vice versa. who knows I'm sure coach Brown has just as much sway....if not more influence on strategy.

dipperdunk
05-29-2004, 04:48 AM
I think Carlisle got the idea of starting Cro from reading Pacers Digest. :laugh: He stole my idea from a post after you guys played the last regular season game in Detroit.

What I would do as an adjustment I would take Foster out of the game and go with a smaller lineup of Croshere or Harrington so when Rasheed goes out to trap when the ball comes back to Croshere or Harrington they'll have great open looks or they can exploit the 4-3 situation by creating something but the key is they'll make the Pistons pay for trapping. Let Rasheed go out and trap and have his wide open man knock down a couple of wide open threes and that will take alot of starch out of the Pistons defense I know because I witnessed it many times in Philly when we would use the same defense.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1976&highlight=

Ok, seriously though thats the only problem with having a player like Ben Wallace the other team can go with a smaller outside shooter and Ben can't make them pay because he can't dominate the smaller player offensively. We had the same problem a couple of years ago when we lossed in the 1st round to Boston; O'Brien put a small player that could shoot on Mutombo and it pulled Mutombo out away from the basket on defense and Mutombo was inept at the offensive end so he couldn't make O'Brien pay for the strategy Ben has the same problem. The Wallaces have the same problem with Cro; one of them is forced to go out and guard Cro and that hurts their D by pulling a shot blocker out of the lane. The only way he can force Croshere out of the game is by dominating the offensive boards because his offense isn't going to scare anyone.

arenn
05-29-2004, 10:18 AM
I always thought Larry Bird was the king of not making adjustments. He had a fixed and inflexible player rotation that I thought failed to adapt to the realities of the game. I very much doubt he'd have made the switch as a matchup adjustment.

MSA2CF
05-29-2004, 11:13 AM

I always get a kick out of how announcers and the ESPN guys pronounce both Conseco and Croshere. Legler is like "Cro-shear". He's our Euro. Yep.

"Canseco"? I kept thinking he was talking about Jose, and I'm like, this is basketball, wrong sport Brad. The Crosheeere thing has always happened, but it's not biggie...Maybe it gives him more motivation, so that they will say his name more often and then get it right.

BTW, anyone else extremely glad that Doc found a coaching job so we don't have to hear him speak during Pacers games? :pray:

Anthem
05-29-2004, 11:23 AM
We had the same problem a couple of years ago when we lossed in the 1st round to Boston; O'Brien put a small player that could shoot on Mutombo and it pulled Mutombo out away from the basket on defense and Mutombo was inept at the offensive end so he couldn't make O'Brien pay for the strategy Ben has the same problem.

That's funny... we had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM last year in the playoffs. Brad Miller was rendered moot because he couldn't match up with some of the small bigs that O'Brien was putting on the floor. I hadn't thought about that before... we won tonight's game by using the strategy that beat us in last year's playoffs!

ABADays
05-29-2004, 11:44 AM
As a season long defender of Austin, I was really happy for him tonight. He deserves the recognition. But then, I've been really happy at times for various other players having "their night". We just have that kind of team. Guys who accept the responsibility to be ready and don't complain. It's easy to pull for all of them.

Millerartest
05-29-2004, 03:55 PM
I can't believe people are so doubtful that he can do it again. The guy never gets a chance to play and with the pressure on to start game five he has a monstrous game and leads the Pacers to victory. It's about time Croshere got a chance. I'm actually surprised it came so late. Continue to give him time and he will continue to produce. Gutsy move by Carlisle at this stage; he must be feeling great. Though Oneal definitely needs to stay with Sheed.

Also, in addition to all the threes, how about the double pump dunk around Wallace? That's what I love about Cro. He can take it to the rim with authority and words his tail off. Here's to the revival of Exhaustin Austin!