PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to jynx it...(*important read*)

sweabs
10-25-2007, 12:53 AM
aaa

sweabs
10-25-2007, 12:53 AM
aaa

BostonConnection
10-25-2007, 01:03 AM
I just logged into the site using my old login. I can access my old team info, and was able to join the PD Test league :cool:

sweabs
10-25-2007, 01:05 AM
aaa

BostonConnection
10-25-2007, 01:12 AM
It definitely looks to me like it's active for this season

JayRedd
10-25-2007, 01:22 AM
The Whale's Vagina Scholars are officially in the PD Test League.

Does this mean we can run with this and able's work is moot? That's unfortunate if so, but since yall seem to like it so much I guess good as well.

Just let me know if I need to do anything further here.

sweabs
10-25-2007, 01:27 AM
aa

sweabs
10-25-2007, 01:28 AM
aa

burnzone
10-25-2007, 02:06 AM
Hell F-ing yes, great find Rcarey. I was actually on there a while back, and it wasn't up yet, so nice job finding this and reporting it.

Hopefully it is 100% functional for this season.

Jose Slaughter
10-25-2007, 02:49 AM
Here's the link if ya need it.

http://hoops.sports.ws/

Please join the American Basketball Association

League #80271

password: pacers

I'll figure out how to transfer the players we've already drafted in a day or two. Until then, please continue to draft as we have been.

tnt09
10-25-2007, 03:53 AM
The site may be up but not all are there yet ... 2007 rookies have not been added. Hopefully it will be ready by the start of the season.

tnt09
10-25-2007, 04:01 AM
well, on a second look, the rookies are there under the 2007-2008 preseason stats but they don't show up under the "Find a Player" search.

bellisimo
10-25-2007, 04:36 AM
Here's the link if ya need it.

http://hoops.sports.ws/

Please join the American Basketball Association

League #80271

password: pacers

I'll figure out how to transfer the players we've already drafted in a day or two. Until then, please continue to draft as we have been.

the scoring method seems a bit different on this - will you be changing/configuring it or will it stay this way?

DisplacedKnick
10-25-2007, 06:54 AM
I'll put together a KL League this evening - not enough time this a.m.

For right now I don't really trust it but I guess it won't hurt to have it as an option - maybe ownership of the site changed hands or something. I'd like to hear from able too - I know he's put in just tons of work on building a site/system for us.

able
10-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Ok I heard this 2 days ago, but I am continuing the work, and it will be done in time.

I propose, as a reward for our hard work :) to run on both sites, "just in case" because there has not been an owner change and no announcements either, so it is somewhat "iffy" to say the least.

Though we wont have all the gadgets, I feel our site is more user friendly and don't forget, we are developping this, so you have a chance to "form" it.

(i.e. we can add almost anything you suggest over the course of the season)

At this moment in time we can do almost anything we want with it, and it all looks nice, we'll be doing the final runs this weekend, in time for season's opening.

I suggest to run in both at the same time, if anything happens to one, we have the other.

DisplacedKnick
10-25-2007, 07:14 AM
Ok I heard this 2 days ago, but I am continuing the work, and it will be done in time.

I propose, as a reward for our hard work :) to run on both sites, "just in case" because there has not been an owner change and no announcements either, so it is somewhat "iffy" to say the least.

Though we wont have all the gadgets, I feel our site is more user friendly and don't forget, we are developping this, so you have a chance to "form" it.

(i.e. we can add almost anything you suggest over the course of the season)

At this moment in time we can do almost anything we want with it, and it all looks nice, we'll be doing the final runs this weekend, in time for season's opening.

I suggest to run in both at the same time, if anything happens to one, we have the other.

thanks - appreciate ALL the work you've done - or at least I try to even though I don't really understand it.

burnzone
10-25-2007, 07:20 AM
Thank you for the update able, we can always just use the sports.ws site for the tools, player stats, research, and an emergency backup mirror league.

Skaut_Ech
10-25-2007, 08:18 AM
I've been using sports.ws to help me draft since we started our leagues this year. I noticed the same thing rcarey did, but I didn't bother to actually start a league and check it. Looks like it's up to me too. I'm still sleepy and can't process this new info. At first blush, I say we run that site in tandem and see what happens. I've probably logged in once a week for the past few month or so and was wondering myself what was going on.

SycamoreKen
10-25-2007, 08:22 AM
I've been using sports.ws to help me draft since we started our leagues this year. I noticed the same thing rcarey did, but I didn't bother to actually start a league and check it. Looks like it's up to me too. I'm still sleepy and can't process this new info. At first blush, I say we run that site in tandem and see what happens. I've probably logged in once a week for the past few month or so and was wondering myself what was going on.

Now you tel us aftet the draft! ;)

BoomBaby33
10-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Im in. This is awesome. Thanks. Although, i cant see the confirmation text to confirm my email address for some reason. I will email their support staff and find out what the deal is.

The Hometown Hotshots are alive and kicking. :dance:

able
10-25-2007, 08:48 AM
there is no support on that site, none, they do not have the staff for it, by their own earlier announcements

Gyron
10-25-2007, 09:03 AM
If Ables site is ready to go by the time the season starts, I think I woul dtather work off of that. Just use the other for tools. We at least know that it will be there and we can get support when its needed.

Skaut_Ech
10-25-2007, 09:28 AM
there is no support on that site, none, they do not have the staff for it, by their own earlier announcements

Yup, I'm thinking the same thing. It'd be interesting to run it in tandem, but the least little glitch and there'd be no one to fix it.

Slick Pinkham
10-25-2007, 09:44 AM
It seems to me like if it works, then lineup setting, trades, et al. will be easiest for us to do there.

The only concern is if they mess up something in scoring or parsing stats from games, they might not correct it. But that was pretty rare in the past.

It's nice to have able at the ready with a near-equivalent, but this seems to be a lesser-hassle alternative (especially for able) if it stays up.

avoidingtheclowns
10-25-2007, 10:16 AM
<==== Sudden Valley Zuckercorns

sweabs
10-25-2007, 10:24 AM
aa

Los Angeles
10-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Regarding the Keeper League, I vote 'NO' on running mirror leagues. I'm already behind the eight-ball as a rookie, and I don't need any more complications. It would be just like me to accidentally post two slightly different lineups that would result in a win at one site and a loss at the other.

Able seems to be doing well, he's pouring his heart and oodles of time and resources (including money I'm sure) into this, and our loyalties should be with him at this point.

If abandoning its fans for two years and not putting up any rookies is any indication of the poor service of sports.ws, then I don't want any part of it.

This is like wishing you could get back together with a spouse who cheated on you. It makes an outsider (in this case, me, as I've never played on the sports.ws site) say "you know what's going to happen, right?"

JayRedd
10-25-2007, 10:40 AM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

EDIT: Just found this http://www.suddenvalley.com/

Amazing.

Doug
10-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Able seems to be doing well, he's pouring his heart and oodles of time and resources (including money I'm sure) into this, and our loyalties should be with him at this point.

cosign. FTW. Word. Or whatever saying the cool kids use to mean "I agree".

Gyron
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I can't remember my password there and it says it emailed it to me, but it won't. Tried it twice now. I tried signing up for another account, but it tells me I can't use the same email address.

Not an encouraging sign......

I also noticed that none of the site is really updated with dates, etc. on the headers, etc. I'm not sure this is gonna be dependable unless they post something saying they will be going full force with it.

bulldog
10-25-2007, 11:21 AM
I vote for Able's site for the ABA league.

However, its nice to have hoops.sports cause they have all their little gadgets. I'd be willing to make my account public to allow non-users access if you can't sign up for new accounts.

LoneGranger33
10-25-2007, 11:30 AM

AD FTW!

tnt09
10-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Here is my 2cents ... I think it's best of us (or at least with KL) to stay with Able. Initially, we can use sports.ws as a "tool" for the missing features in Able's but we should use Able's site as the primary site. This way we can provide Able the necessary feedback for him to fine tune the software. I think in the long run we will be much better off.

sweabs
10-25-2007, 12:21 PM
aaa

sweabs
10-25-2007, 12:24 PM
aa

Los Angeles
10-25-2007, 12:27 PM
The site now reads "2008 Fantasy Hoops".

Interesting ...

Well, it seems that the site has a number of fans ... I defer to the commish, able, and the league veterans to choose what to do.

bulldog
10-25-2007, 12:27 PM
hmm...if they really are getting their stuff together...

That was a really good site. And while I don't want to discard Able's hard work, his league is certain to have some kinks in it as well, at least in the early phase. Perhaps its better to do sports.ws and let able test his league for a season or so before switching to that

sweabs
10-25-2007, 12:28 PM
a

SycamoreKen
10-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't mind if we could set up a dummy league there with our scorinf system in order to track player stats and such. I would vote with doing it for real on Able's site.

GO!!!!!
10-25-2007, 05:42 PM
I am glad the league is back up but they just took to long, I vote to stay with Able as without him we woulden't be here now...

Looking fwd to working within Ables site.... and using hoops as a stat checker if required

Hicks
10-25-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm fine with trying .ws but I think we need to start with Abel's setup.

DrBadd01
10-25-2007, 07:08 PM
I vote for Ables setup as well.

DisplacedKnick
10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't really care which site we use at this point but I'd say get everyone signed up on both and then let's figure it out. Hopefully everyone can have their teams set by this weekend.

Plus there may be some scripts able can, er, study to help his site.

bellisimo
10-26-2007, 04:50 AM
I think its best to do both - and then stick with Able once his site is up-n-running well on all cylinders.

Slick Pinkham
10-26-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm fine with staying with able. Maybe he should chime in since I don't know how much work for him it might be to maintain the league and fix any problems that come up.

Obviously it has been a lot of work for him to get it to this point (much appreciated! :) ), so it seems a shame to back off.

But... I'm not sure how many e-mails or private messages he wants to deal with during the year saying stuff like "According to the box score Ryan Gomes scored 8.5 fanatsy points but only 6.0 points were credited, help me now! And please add this new player just signed by the Pacers from outer Cheezewhizzistan, after 6 guys went on the injured list"

:)

DisplacedKnick
10-26-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm fine with staying with able. Maybe he should chime in since I don't know how much work for him it might be to maintain the league and fix any problems that come up.

There are the obvious two options. In either case I'd advise everyone to sign up for the sports.ws site just for the stats features.

IMO, if able's site is ready to run and he's willing to put in the extra time (actually we already know he's willing) we should go with it. If he'd prefer to run his as a test site this year and make sure all the bugs are worked out before we move to it next year, I'm fine with that too.

Whatever we do, I agree with whoever posted that we shouldn't run two "official" sites this year - once we pick one we need to stick with it.

edit: Since LA hasn't played on the sports.ws site before I'm gonna look for one of my old tutorial messages, or make a new one, on the scoring system and setting lineups and post that (could PM it but there are always contributions from other people). That's the same system we're using with able's site so it'll be relevant whichever way we go.

Los Angeles
10-26-2007, 11:22 AM
REgarding sports.ws stats features, they are not available to me because their confirmation email isn't getting through to me. Maybe that's just the pennance I must pay as a rookie, but if that's the primary benefit of the site, it does me no good.

sweabs
10-26-2007, 11:24 AM
aaa

Gyron
10-26-2007, 11:30 AM
I've been waiting about 24 hours for them to email me and it hasn't come through yet.

avoidingtheclowns
10-26-2007, 11:32 AM
I've been waiting about 24 hours for them to email me and it hasn't come through yet.

ditto

DisplacedKnick
10-26-2007, 11:37 AM
REgarding sports.ws stats features, they are not available to me because their confirmation email isn't getting through to me. Maybe that's just the pennance I must pay as a rookie, but if that's the primary benefit of the site, it does me no good.

That must be new - used to be you just registered and then logged right in and created your team.

Venice Vagabonds is listed as a team.

Gyron
10-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Guys, I think Abel's sytem is the way to go if its up and ready.

The current .ws is still too unreliable.

bellisimo
10-26-2007, 12:10 PM

which confirmation mail are you referring to?
is it about the account upgrade? - it mentions something about having an account for more than 2 weeks/etc if you are eligible to upgrade...

i'm just takin' a shot in the dark with this though :)

Hicks
10-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Guys, I think Abel's sytem is the way to go if its up and ready.

The current .ws is still too unreliable.

Well not only that, but eventually Abel's will equal and eventually surpass it over the course of time.

Plus, I suspect after it's been established, we might be able to work together to actually integrate it with the forum in at least some capacity so it's more streamlined.

Los Angeles
10-26-2007, 01:46 PM
which confirmation mail are you referring to?
is it about the account upgrade? - it mentions something about having an account for more than 2 weeks/etc if you are eligible to upgrade...

i'm just takin' a shot in the dark with this though :)

The way I read it, the two week waiting period starts AFTER you've confirmed your account.

I can't confirm my account because the email system is broken.

Jose Slaughter
10-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Is there a link to Able's site?

Hicks
10-26-2007, 11:35 PM
I don't think so.

able
10-27-2007, 06:07 AM
It is not "on the web" as yet, it sits on a development machine in Switzerland, (where only 2 pl have acces to)next to an Oracle Guru how is doing a lot of the more "difficult" work.

Yes I work it over he web.

We are currently at the stage where the KPL is in, as in teams and such, we can create schedules etc. and are working on parsing the NBA box scores.

We are now 100% sure a fine working specimen will be ready for the start of the NBA season, we will however bring in the teams, for now, though you can alter as much as you want, it is just easier to read in a spread then doing it one by one and being dependant on ppl doing things before we can check certain functions.

Once we have the final hurdles taken, it will all be moved to the PD server, yes it will share the server with this illustruous board, and "open" it up to you guys.

able
10-27-2007, 06:18 AM
http://www.able-towers.com/%7Eabel/shot3.gifsome screen shots:

http://www.able-towers.com/%7Eabel/shot1.GIF

able
10-27-2007, 06:20 AM
http://www.able-towers.com/%7Eabel/shot2.GIF

able
10-27-2007, 06:21 AM
http://www.able-towers.com/%7Eabel/shot3.GIF

SycamoreKen
10-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Nice able, nice.

Hicks
10-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Looks like it's coming along!

able
10-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Just hope you guys like the "clean" look :D

Skaut_Ech
10-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Clean and crisp looking. I like the bright red. Gives good contrast.

Hicks
10-27-2007, 10:46 AM
I admit I'd prefer #002E62 to #FF0000 ......

tnt09
10-27-2007, 02:38 PM
I like the look, Able! I'm very impressed that you and your team can pull this together.

JayRedd
10-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Looks good, man. Thanks.

Jose Slaughter
10-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Thanks for all the hard work Able, its looking very nice.

DisplacedKnick
10-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Site looks fantastic able.

Any idea on when we can start logging in?

Not to be pesky but the season starts Tuesday and folks will need to get their lineups set the way they want them, maybe add or drop a player and so on.