PDA

View Full Version : What's up with this?

Pig Nash
10-23-2007, 01:09 AM
I'm not sure if I like it or not but this is what happens when I go to pacersdigest.com.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5286/pacersdigestfz0.jpg

Hicks
10-23-2007, 01:16 AM
It's a new "thing" I'm currently setting up / experimenting with. It will be a portal or "main page" to Pacers Digest where news will be posted. Not finished / done.

avoidingtheclowns
10-23-2007, 01:19 AM
i can live with the portal

but i'm REALLY not a fan of this:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/images/misc/navbits_start.gif (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?p=606754#) Pacers Digest (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/index.php) > Communication (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/forumdisplay.php?f=17) > Feedback (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
clicking "Pacers Digest" now takes us back to the 'portal' instead of the forum index. is there a way to include a forum index option in that path? it doesn't make sense to go back to my userCP each time nor does it make sense to hit the back arrow and have to refresh. just a thought (or plea)

Hicks
10-23-2007, 01:22 AM
Yes that's an issue I'm aware of and will work on. That will not stay as-is.

avoidingtheclowns
10-23-2007, 01:30 AM
okay cool. on another note this whole thing has made me realize i may be inching closer and closer to Alzheimer's... regardless of knowing what clicking "Pacers Digest" will do, i keep clicking it in a vein attempt to get back to the forum index.

Natston
10-23-2007, 01:30 AM
Eh, I am afraid of change...

Hicks
10-23-2007, 01:37 AM
For the time being, you can click on the logo at the top/center to get to the Forum index.

Raoul Duke
10-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Horrible

SycamoreKen
10-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Replacing the list of recent posts with the forums list may be a way to go. It took a second to figure out where to go. A newbie might get confussed. Keep up the good work though Hicks. I like how you don't let things get too static around here.

Hicks
10-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Horrible

Thanks for your support and constructive criticism! :thumbsup:

avoidingtheclowns
10-23-2007, 10:14 AM
For the time being, you can click on the logo at the top/center to get to the Forum index.

thanks!

Hicks
10-23-2007, 10:35 AM
And now it's fixed, though typing in pacersdigest.com temporarily takes you to the forum instead of the portal, which will be fixed later.

sweabs
10-23-2007, 11:29 AM
It would be cool if you could get the schedule-calendar to take the place of the default calendar on the main page (but have no idea if that is actually possible).

I think it could be a nice idea if people start writing their own individual pieces.

avoidingtheclowns
10-23-2007, 12:18 PM
i guess the question would be: what would the difference be about those articles mentioned in the news blurb compared to what is posted in the forums?

MagicRat
10-23-2007, 12:19 PM
I think it could be a nice idea if people start writing their own individual pieces.

Does that mean I should fire my writing staff?

I've been mulling over a few ideas for articles. I can't decide between "Artest is still worth the trouble" or "Ladies, Ladies, Ladies Shade is in the Hizzouse" or "Will Coach for Food".........

JayRedd
10-23-2007, 12:25 PM
I like it.

Hicks
10-23-2007, 12:29 PM
i guess the question would be: what would the difference be about those articles mentioned in the news blurb compared to what is posted in the forums?

They would be more formal essays; longer, more structure, a thesis (stated or not), etc.

Hicks
10-23-2007, 12:30 PM
By the way, to see the main page after you're on the forum, you click where it says "Home" next to "User CP" at the top.

mugsy27
10-23-2007, 01:06 PM
i like it...looks more like a real site now.

good work admin!

sweabs
10-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Love the calendar!

VF21
10-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Very nice looking, Mal. I hadn't checked in here in a few days but I drafted Jermaine O'Neal this past weekend so decided to come here and check what was being said.

I am very impressed with the new portal, even if it is still a work in progress.

:dance: from your resident Kings fan

Shade
10-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Does that mean I should fire my writing staff?

I've been mulling over a few ideas for articles. I can't decide between "Artest is still worth the trouble" or "Ladies, Ladies, Ladies Shade is in the Hizzouse" or "Will Coach for Food".........

Well, I am. :shrug:

Shade
10-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Very nice looking, Mal. I hadn't checked in here in a few days but I drafted Jermaine O'Neal this past weekend so decided to come here and check what was being said.

I am very impressed with the new portal, even if it is still a work in progress.

:dance: from your resident Kings fan

Oh, you hadn't heard about the injury? He may not be back until playoffs, assuming we make them of course. :(

:devil:

Naptown_Seth
10-23-2007, 04:11 PM
They would be more formal essays; longer, more structure, a thesis (stated or not), etc.
Code for "we're gonna dump all of Nap's posts into their own corner out of the way of regular threads"

;) :D

Lord Helmet
10-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Horrible
Great feedback! :rolleyes:

MagicRat
10-23-2007, 05:42 PM
For anybody that missed it the first time around....
http://web.archive.org/web/20040210002523/www.pacersdigest.com/articles.php

btowncolt
10-23-2007, 05:53 PM
For anybody that missed it the first time around....
http://web.archive.org/web/20040210002523/www.pacersdigest.com/articles.php

Sweet, my killer fantasy basketball analysis is still there.

Shade
10-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Those are some very interesting reads in hindsight.

Boston - Jim O'Brien may have been walking on eggshells when Danny Ainge took the front office reigns, but Vin Baker's resurrection has probably helped his job security for the time being. Dr. Jack's son-in-law has done his best with a poorly structured roster, and, even though he gets too much credit for Dick Harter's defense, he should stick around while Ainge continues to remake the team.

Could all this blow up, could Artest's temper ruin his career and the Pacers franchise. Yes it could, however he is too good a player, too good a person to give up on. There is not a false bone in Ron's body, he does not do anything to try an get publicity, he is in many ways the anti-Rodman. Ron wants to do the right thing, he wants to play by the rules but he loses his temper from time to time and can't help himself. Dennis Rodman was all about self promotion.

Hoop
10-23-2007, 09:02 PM
On the new format, I'll just say I'm not a fan of fixing what's not broke.

Hicks
10-23-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't really consider it modifying or fixing the forum, it's meant to be the "cover page" to the forum, with the forum itself staying as-is.

Shade
10-23-2007, 09:50 PM
I like it. It doesn't do any harm whatsoever to the forum. I always kinda missed the old home page, to be honest.

Mushmouth
10-24-2007, 11:00 AM
I like the portal- but I'd suggest that the Pacers forum be Front and Center for easy access to the latest threads (not just overall recent threads)... Also, if you wanted to get really ambitious, you could do a quick compile of the latest daily Pacers news from local and national news outlets on the portal page. Just a thought. Great work!

Hicks
10-24-2007, 11:22 AM
I think I just put the spot light back on the Forum without taking away the Portal as the main page..... :)

Pig Nash
10-24-2007, 03:43 PM
One nice thing would be if the recent threads would link to the most recent post instead of the first page.

Hicks
10-24-2007, 04:18 PM
One nice thing would be if the recent threads would link to the most recent post instead of the first page.

That's what the little arrow is for. Looks like this off to the left of the title:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/images/buttons/PDbuttons//firstnew.gif

Hoop
10-24-2007, 04:19 PM
I think I just put the spot light back on the Forum without taking away the Portal as the main page..... :)
:cheers:

Pig Nash
10-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Oh ok, cool.

Bball
10-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I miss a dropdown box that would let me choose the forum I want to enter after arriving at pacersdigest.com (or a similar direct link method).

Maybe I just don't see the alternative and it's already there, but as it is I land on Pacersdigets.com and then can only choose to go to the -list- of forums where I THEN choose to hit the Pacer forum (or Shoutbox or whatever).

Personally, I'd like to be able to skip that interim step once arriving at the portal and go straight to the forum I am wanting to peruse.

A drop down box (like on the bottom of each forum page) would be nice or at least a set of links to the individual forums. I can picture the drop down box just under the recent topics that show on the portal page.

Some type of direct linking to the individual forums from the intro page seems like such an obvious thing to have that I keep thinking I must be missing it.

-Bball

Hicks
10-27-2007, 03:14 PM
I have it up, but it doesn't work. For some reason the forum jump at the bottom right of the page doesn't like being placed on the portal page. I'll have to see what my options are.

Hicks
10-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Better?

Pig Nash
10-27-2007, 11:32 PM
I think it's fine but I like being able to go to the forum view (the big yellow button) like it was before.

Hicks
10-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Maybe I'll find a good way to incorporate that back in. You can click on the logo at the top center and it takes you to the main forum index right now.

Pig Nash
10-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Oh, that's fine then.

Kat
10-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Just a couple of thoughts:

Could the list of recent threads indicate which forum they're in?

Could the pocket schedule indicate away games? (Perhaps something as simple as saying @WAS?)

Hicks
10-31-2007, 03:02 PM
Just a couple of thoughts:

Could the list of recent threads indicate which forum they're in?

Could the pocket schedule indicate away games? (Perhaps something as simple as saying @WAS?)

1) Fixed

2) I've found out how to add the hardwood background so now the white road games stand out again.

Kat
10-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks!

And silly me, I didn't realize that the different colors indicated home vs. away. It was fine without the hardwood background, in my opinion. Sorry to trouble you.

SamBear
11-02-2007, 10:50 PM
I like it... I sent our admin over here to take a look at it... :)

JayRedd
11-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Looks great, Hicks.

One thing I noticed now that the season is started is that the schedule isn't updated. It might be nice to see the Was, Mia, and Mem games now show "W" with the score. And maybe you could color code the Ws and Ls so we can easilly see what type of a streak we're on.

Yahoo does it like this, although I think ours could look even better if it's not too difficult of a process for yall admins.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/ind/schedule;_ylt=AiCxMj1yjtpp1Lh_ndOqjRl_0bYF

JayRedd
11-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Cool.