PDA

View Full Version : I hesitate to post this but it was interesting

indygeezer
05-28-2004, 01:07 PM
I emailed the following to Hardrive this AM and he said I should post it. I hesitate because some are gonna jump up and down thinking we are abunch of whinney *...but it WAS an interesting thought. Here goes:

Somebody sent in an email to either JMV or Rakestraw (I forget which) that had an interesting comment. The emailer was going on about the inconsistency in the NBA officiating and how the game is played today. How nobody can hit anything other than dunks or 3 pointers (thank Patino for that thinking). Nobody has the fundamentals etc and so on. He really had an good email. One point he made (and he stressed that nobody would want the P's to win a game this way) was that Artest was suspended for a game for going out onto the floor and then returning to the bench...but nothing was said about all the players who left the Detroit bench and went to help Tayshawn Prince following his block of Reggies layup. ya know in a way he's right. They did leave the bench (a violation) and their presence in the melee under the basket could have caused tempers to flair. What if one of our guys had punched one of them??? How would that have affected the outcome, would they have been suspended for being off the bench? I'm not whining because the call wasn't made, I just thought it was an interesting observation.

any thoughts???

efx
05-28-2004, 01:09 PM
While I'm not a believer in fixed matches or biased refereeing, the suspension handed out by stu is clearly biased and in many cases extremely inconsistant.

Snickers
05-28-2004, 01:11 PM
I think the difference is that Tayshaun's play wasn't an altercation. Obviously, there were emotions involved, just like any big play, but nobody was pushing or shoving or exchanging "pleasantries."

But on the other hand, if it's a rule that you can't leave the bench, then it should be enforced in all situations.

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 01:12 PM
I turned to the person I sit with at the games and asked if all those Pistons players, and their bench was completely empty, would all get suspended.

I was joking.

The rules states that a player cannot leave the bench area during an altercation.

This was not an altercation

Thinking back I wish Pollard and only Pollard would have run down there and punched a Pistons player, caused a altercation all by himself, then all those players who left the bench would have been suspended

Maybe next year

Fool
05-28-2004, 01:15 PM
The Detroit post-game broadcast did mention this. And as said above, I don't know if there was a "melee" under the basket as no Pacer player was close to Prince's landing zone (Reggie was closest as he was calling for the goaltending but he left).

I thought it was silly to boot Artest for his jog on and back but two points:

1) The NBA has said many times that it takes past actions into account, I say this to defend the not suspending of Piston players not the suspending of Artest.

2) Artest left durring a fight. There was no fight involved in game 2 and so the possible intents of both situations are very different.

indygeezer
05-28-2004, 01:17 PM
But if Pollard had rundown there????

Or some fan that got their beer spilled on them???

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 01:18 PM
2) Artest left durring a fight. There was no fight involved in game 2 and so the possible intents of both situations are very different.

What is a "fight" . If what went on between J.O and Hunter, I don't remember his first name, is a fight, then well, let's just say .......

Fool
05-28-2004, 01:26 PM
What is a "fight" . If what went on between J.O and Hunter, I don't remember his first name, is a fight, then well, let's just say .......

Are you talking about Game 2 here? (Lindsay) Hunter? I ask because I wasn't aware anything happened between J.O. and Hunter in that game or during that time. If so, fill me in, please.

DisplacedKnick
05-28-2004, 01:33 PM
That wasn't a problem.

The problem remains Karl Malone not getting a game off for the above the shoulders hit he put on Martin.

Should Anthony Peeler sue for the salary he loses because of his suspension?

sweabs
05-28-2004, 02:30 PM

Are you talking about Game 2 here? (Lindsay) Hunter? I ask because I wasn't aware anything happened between J.O. and Hunter in that game or during that time. If so, fill me in, please.

Brandon Hunter - on the Celts.