PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Slick Leonard. Interesting comments

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 12:54 PM
This is from Thursday.

Two responses are very interesting to me, I have highlighted them

I wonder what positions Slick thinks needs an upgrade. We know if it not the forward position

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-05-27-20-second-timeout_x.htm

Posted 5/27/2004 10:42 PM

Leonard sets Pacers standard
Bobby "Slick" Leonard is in his 19th season as radio broadcaster for the Indiana Pacers. Leonard, 71, is the winningest coach in Pacers history with 529 wins and three ABA titles. He played for the Lakers in Minneapolis and Los Angeles and finished with the Chicago Packers. Leonard says he's "either played against, coached against or broadcast every player who's come down the pike in the last 50 years." He talked with USA TODAY's Bob Velin:

Indiana Pacers radio broadcaster Bobby "Slick" Leonard says Pacers aren't quite at championship talent level.

Q: You've said that coaching is getting the talent level. Explain.

A: You have to max out the talent level, whatever you have. If you have a ballclub that doesn't have the talent level to win big, then it's tough to make the playoffs.

Q: Dos Indiana have the talent level to win it all?

A: No, we're a little bit away. But the coaching staff — Rick (Carlisle), Mike Brown and Ron Rothstein — has done a wonderful job with this ballclub. They have absolutely maxed out the talent.

Q: Are you surprised at the job Carlisle has done after Isiah Thomas was fired by Larry Bird, considering the unhappiness among the players?

A. There was really only one player. Jermaine (O'Neal) had a very strong relationship with Isiah. There wasn't that much unhappiness among the other players.

Q: How did he win over Jermaine?

A: He treats Jermaine like a man. He was the first one to say, "I'm not going to be an Isiah Thomas to you. But I'm going to do the best with you I can, and I hope you respond." He treated him well, and Jermaine has responded.

Q: What has Bird's return meant to this franchise?

A: Larry's a very, very hard worker. He set up rules that are fair, and if you broke them, you paid the price. Larry lends a stature to an organization because, let's face it, he's one of the greatest players ever to play the game, and he shows respect to everyone until they show him different.

Q: You've won championships as a player at Indiana University and as a coach with the ABA Pacers. Which meant the most?

A: You have to separate them. But it means more when you do it as a player.

Q: Who will be in the Finals?

A: I think the Lakers are going to be there. They're really the only team out here with two superstars. And this series (vs. Detroit) is going to be tough for us to win. So I'll take the Lakers — they should be the favorite to win it all — and you pick the other.

MSA2CF
05-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that sounded like Slick. :neutral:

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 01:01 PM

I think it very much does

MSA2CF
05-28-2004, 01:02 PM

I think it very much does

:laugh: Yeah, it's just me... :D

Steveman
05-28-2004, 01:54 PM
Actually Slick, as a coach, would just send Pollard in to "take out" Rasheed. Then, back at the hotel after the game Slick would buy Pollard a case of beer, say "Thanks" and "see ya back in Indy". :laugh:

indygeezer
05-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Boy wouldn't I like to sit down and talk with SLick over a few brews. I'd love to know what he really thinks....but I'll bet the players wouldn't.

obnoxiousmodesty
05-28-2004, 02:43 PM
I know one thing, Slick has been very agitated and quite animated during his broadcasts all series long.

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 02:53 PM
We know what Slick thought about Isiah don't we,

Slick likes Brown a lot, beofre game #1 of this series, Brown came down the press row and shuck Slick's hand and you could see the respect.

I think Slick knows how tough this series is for the Pacers

MSA2CF
05-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Slick likes Brown a lot, beofre game #1 of this series, Brown came down the press row and shuck Slick's hand and you could see the respect.

Like corn? He just stood there and peeled off Slick's skin? :P

Slick Pinkham
05-28-2004, 03:24 PM
There was really only one player. Jermaine (O'Neal) had a very strong relationship with Isiah. There wasn't that much unhappiness among the other players.

I think I put forth that idea some time ago and another poster...hmmm...who was it...

said I was crazy, and I was blinded by hatred, and 'nuff said, and simple as that.

:D

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 03:41 PM
There was really only one player. Jermaine (O'Neal) had a very strong relationship with Isiah. There wasn't that much unhappiness among the other players.

I think I put forth that idea some time ago and another poster...hmmm...who was it...

said I was crazy, and I was blinded by hatred, and 'nuff said, and simple as that.

You know what he has been very quiet lately. Very quiet.

Bball
05-28-2004, 03:53 PM

You know what he has been very quiet lately. Very quiet.

I thought maybe he got banned? :whoknows:

-Bball

Hicks
05-28-2004, 03:54 PM
He was.

Slick Pinkham
05-28-2004, 03:58 PM
me :highfive: Hicks

MSA2CF
05-28-2004, 04:03 PM
He was.

Who was?

Hicks
05-28-2004, 04:05 PM
He was.

Who was?

*sigh* Read the damn thread. :laugh:

Slick Pinkham
New Yawk

MSA2CF
New Yawk

That's who I thought...

I actually liked the guy...He made some good points.

MSA2CF
05-28-2004, 04:08 PM
He was.

Who was?

*sigh* Read the damn thread. :laugh:

I did...I just ain't that durned intelligent-a like you folkses.

ChicagoJ
05-28-2004, 04:09 PM
I'm clearly not his biggest fan, either.

I wish he could tone down the name-calling. I didn't mind disagreeing with him, and he occasionally made some interesting points (along with some outrageously bad ones.) (And a blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut, too.)

I guess I'm saying that unlike certain others, he was capable of making a positive contribution to the forum. Too bad he couldn't learn to debate a point without resorting to insults. But I'll miss him, nonetheless.

indygeezer
05-28-2004, 04:12 PM
yeah...me too. But I never got into a "debate" with him either.

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 04:13 PM
I won't miss him at all. I won't even mention his name.

MSA2CF
05-28-2004, 04:15 PM

Sorta like a guy who made a certain 3 for the Knicks, right? :D

Slick Pinkham
05-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know if Slick is still close with Al Harrington?

I know in his first 2 years, Al spent a lot of time with Slick. If they are still close, I'd take his comments to mean that Al in particular was pretty much not sad at all to see Isiah go.

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 04:20 PM

a 3 or a 4?

Yes I believe AL and Slick are still close. I think it was one of the early playoff games this year, AL was on the postgame and Slick never sticks around for those but he did this time to talk to AL and you could tell they are still close

My sense, not based on anything is AL had enough of Isiah

MSA2CF
05-28-2004, 04:21 PM

a 3 or a 4?

Oh, he made the 3, but all in all made the 4.

Bball
05-28-2004, 04:30 PM
But I'll miss him, nonetheless.

I might miss him too... but I'll reload and take another shot. :o :laugh: ;)

-Bball

Kegboy
05-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Before everyone bows to Slick's opinion, remember his biggest complaint about Isiah was he didn't play Ron Mercer enough. :blush:

Bball
05-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Before everyone bows to Slick's opinion, remember his biggest complaint about Isiah was he didn't play Ron Mercer enough. :blush:

Didn't Bird and Walsh look into getting Mercer back?

-Bball

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Yes there were rumors, in fact it was in Mark Montieths Q&A that the Pacers looked into acquiring Mercer.

Kegboy, as I remember it Slicks's main complaint about isiah was a lack of structure and discipline, but he did mention that Isiah did not use mercer well, and he was in Isiah's doghouse last season

BillS
05-28-2004, 05:39 PM
I want the Pacers to get a ring almost as much for Slick as I do for Reggie.

The man is an unabashed homer and has lived and (nearly) died for this team since he took over as coach.

Yeah, he wouldn't get an actual ring this time, but the symbolism is there.

Can't you see him helping to raise the banner to go next to the ABA banners?

Chills, man ... I get chills.