PDA

View Full Version : Completely OT: Your honest thoughts please

indygeezer
10-15-2007, 08:42 PM
As many of you know, I am a realtor in a small southside office. I am considering switching to FC Tucker on the eastside (withing 2 min of where I live).

Please give me an honest opinion:

How do you perceive FC TUcker? What are your thoughts of them Pro/Con?

(I am asking in order to facilitate my decisionmaking process. I prefer small company atmosphere but you cannot fight Big Company and Brand power)
Thank you for your candor

grace
10-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Well, at the moment my opinion of Tucker isn't all that great. There's a house down the street from my mom's. Four bedrooms, 3 bathrooms on 10 acres that sold two years ago for the ridiculously low price in the 400s because the house hadn't been remodeled in the 30 years since it had been built. Well, now it's 2 years later and the only thing the people did to the house was get new carpet and paint some walls. Guess what their FC dude is listing it for--800K. And I don't care what the ad says, it is not the most beautiful 10 acres in Hamilton County.

indygeezer
10-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Well, at the moment my opinion of Tucker isn't all that great. There's a house down the street from my mom's. Four bedrooms, 3 bathrooms on 10 acres that sold two years ago for the ridiculously low price in the 400s because the house hadn't been remodeled in the 30 years since it had been built. Well, now it's 2 years later and the only thing the people did to the house was get new carpet and paint some walls. Guess what their FC dude is listing it for--800K. And I don't care what the ad says, it is not the most beautiful 10 acres in Hamilton County.

But the agent is trying to get the most he can for his clients. WOuldn't you want him to if you owned it and wanted to sell? Sometimes agents are told what to price it at if they want the listing. Sorry Grace, not being arguementative...just pointing out some aspects of da bidnez. Besides, I'm sure they used really really good paint and carpet. ;)

Gyron
10-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Hey Geez, we used FC tucker when we sold our house up there and I had nothing but a good experience with them.

I think a lot of it has to do with the agents, not the company. If you are a good agent, looking out for the best for your clients, then everything else doesn't matter as much.

indygeezer
10-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Hey Geez, we used FC tucker when we sold our house up there and I had nothing but a good experience with them.

I think a lot of it has to do with the agents, not the company. If you are a good agent, looking out for the best for your clients, then everything else doesn't matter as much.

thanks Gyron. I will say tho that the Company name can open doors for you...or as in my current situation (very small company) be a good thing or a bad thing. Right now, and in this type of market, the bigs seem to be winning over the littles.

Gyron
10-16-2007, 08:54 AM
You are right, the big names do tend to help. As everyone knows Advertising helps spread the name. And thats when companies can gain the most market share is advertising through a down time instead of cutting budgets on advertising. It keeps your name at the top of the mind for when the market recovers as well.

grace
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
But the agent is trying to get the most he can for his clients. WOuldn't you want him to if you owned it and wanted to sell? Sometimes agents are told what to price it at if they want the listing. Sorry Grace, not being arguementative...just pointing out some aspects of da bidnez. Besides, I'm sure they used really really good paint and carpet. ;)

You're points are well taken. The ad for this particular house should be a huge red flag because it's not even a picture of the house, but rather a picture of the property.

Considering they were having an open house the first weekend the house was put on the market I'd say they're pretty desperate to sell. When the real estate agent told me "The seller is really marketing the property" I wanted to say "You don't honestly think it's worth $80,000 an acre do you?" In this market I can't imagine they'll get an offer anywhere close to what they're asking.

GrangerRanger
10-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Never have but my brother did go through them. He didn't really comment on them, but from what I could see they were swift and he wasn't frustrated at anything they did.

Knucklehead Warrior
10-22-2007, 10:52 AM
OK Geez, here goes.
I was a realtor/broker for a large (not FCT) company about 30 years ago. In my experience, FCT agents were tough competitors and for the most part on the right side of the ethical divide, but just barely. RE, as you know, is a cutthroat business and there's no lack of cutlasses at the big companies. There was/is a corporate culture @ FCT that I found distasteful, although I also found many many highly professional realtors there as well. I guess I have both respect and disdain.

I interviewed at both large and small companies, and thought that my chances of survival were better in a larger one. This was back in the days of FCT, Graves, McClain-Mathews, Savage, Ludlow, and about the time C-21 was emerging, so there were a lot more choices then.

Then the 100% brokers came along and a lot of the very best heavy hitters from all companies went to ReMax or somebody similar. I'm not sure what this left @ FCT or how it may have changed the culture there. I also left the business at about the same time.

I can't say you should or shouldn't make the switch. I believe if you had the tenacity and skills to make it in a cutthroat business at the highest levels, then FCT is worth going to. It's hard to fight the big boys and you'll find life easier there and also more will be expected of you, so life will also be harder. I'd say you'll find the business is on a faster track at FCT. With the market the way it is right now, why would FCT want to hire anybody? They should have people dropping like flies over there.

indygeezer
10-22-2007, 11:58 AM
OK Geez, here goes.
I was a realtor/broker for a large (not FCT) company about 30 years ago. In my experience, FCT agents were tough competitors and for the most part on the right side of the ethical divide, but just barely. RE, as you know, is a cutthroat business and there's no lack of cutlasses at the big companies. There was/is a corporate culture @ FCT that I found distasteful, although I also found many many highly professional realtors there as well. I guess I have both respect and disdain.

I interviewed at both large and small companies, and thought that my chances of survival were better in a larger one. This was back in the days of FCT, Graves, McClain-Mathews, Savage, Ludlow, and about the time C-21 was emerging, so there were a lot more choices then.

Then the 100% brokers came along and a lot of the very best heavy hitters from all companies went to ReMax or somebody similar. I'm not sure what this left @ FCT or how it may have changed the culture there. I also left the business at about the same time.

I can't say you should or shouldn't make the switch. I believe if you had the tenacity and skills to make it in a cutthroat business at the highest levels, then FCT is worth going to. It's hard to fight the big boys and you'll find life easier there and also more will be expected of you, so life will also be harder. I'd say you'll find the business is on a faster track at FCT. With the market the way it is right now, why would FCT want to hire anybody? They should have people dropping like flies over there.

FCT contacted me again this AM. Nice sales job they are using but I think I'm staying put for now. (I will ALWAYS be able to change my mind methinks). I worked in corporate America for 40 years and really don'r need that headache again. WHat they do have going for them is the 3 minute drive to my home and the name FCT. I would like to get into the higher end market and perhaps even commercial so I can see them as a faster track to those ends. But then again, in very short time I won't need the bigger income and I will be able to relax and really enjoy the business.

Still, I'm thinking I will stay put...struggle for a couple of years, then add Social Security to my income and just supplement with RE.:dance:

BTW...those are some VERY familiar names...you a southsider?

Knucklehead Warrior
10-22-2007, 03:48 PM
BTW...those are some VERY familiar names...you a southsider?

north, more west now

indygeezer
10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
With the market the way it is right now, why would FCT want to hire anybody? They should have people dropping like flies over there.

OK here's the deal, with the market the way it is, why wouldn't everybody in an apartment or renting be buying? The market is never "bad". If it's good for the buyer it's bad for the seller and vice versa. Only in the mid-80's was it bad for everybody. Super-inflated inflation and sky-rocketing interest rates created opportunities only for those that could think creatively.

We are far from those conditions now. But that wavers from my thread intent.

Sorry.