PDA

View Full Version : Fred Jones Question

JustDuck
05-28-2004, 11:26 AM
It seems as if Carlisle only wants him to sit at the 3-point line to fire bail-out three's. This guy should have some plays run for him heading to the basked cuz he's the only guard on the team that can take the ball to the rack and either elevate to get his shot or dish it off.

I think this guy has some real nice potential down the road to be a solid starting 2 once Reggie moves on....thoughts?

am i way off on this as a Duck Homer or do you guys feel he should be more involved in the offense?

sweabs
05-28-2004, 11:27 AM
I would like to see him more involved with the offense - but now is not the time to try something so drastic in my opinion. Maybe wait for next year hoping he works on that shot of his during the offseason and we'll see if he gets some more PT and plays run for him.

Snickers
05-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Check the sig. :cool:

I do think Freddie needs to be more involved, especially in this series. We need somebody who can attack the rim.

Only problem is his shoulder.

Dukins
05-28-2004, 11:37 AM
I dont think Fred fully has the confidence especially with his injury.

Millerartest
05-28-2004, 03:47 PM
I don't understand the hesitation everyone has with Jones. Remember the dunk on Wallace? Seems like he has more confidence and guts than most players on the team. His excellent play against Boston was one of the big reasons the Pacers were so dominant. Screens should be run for guards everytime down the floor, then if he's open he can drive with authority, if not, pass it in the post, but yes, he's not a decoy and he shouldn't be standing around on offense.

LAPacer
05-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Carlisle is a good, but not yet great coach. One thing that I wish he would've done is try to have Freddie spend some time at the point. Not full time, but maybe even as Tinsley's back up. If Dwyane Wade (who was a shooting guard his whole life) can run plays, then Freddie can run the point too since that was his role at Oregon. Besides, he was drafted as a combo guard. He would lessen Billups offense.

MSA2CF
05-28-2004, 03:56 PM
Besides his dunk in game 3, how did Fred play? What did he bring to the table?

Hicks
05-28-2004, 03:57 PM
I really hope to see Freddy have a bigger role next season. Frankly I'd love to see him try backing up Tinsley, but in a Dwayne Wade sort of way: He can run the plays, but can also pull off a solo move to score the ball.

Slick Pinkham
05-28-2004, 04:04 PM
I really hope to see Freddy have a bigger role next season. Frankly I'd love to see him try backing up Tinsley, but in a Dwayne Wade sort of way: He can run the plays, but can also pull off a solo move to score the ball.

I think he can do that. He has the handle. In fact, when paired with AJ in this series, he has handled that ball just about as much as AJ whenever they trap.

I think summer leagues and preseason and he could be a solid combo guard, which is vital even if AJ returns because you know KA is gone.

No offense to Jamison, but I'd like to see Fred play point before him.

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 04:10 PM
it would have been unrealistic to try and play Freddie at point this season. First year playing you want him to get used to one position, makes the transition to the NBA easier. He might play some point next year.

And for the record, I think Carlisle is a great coach. I would put him in the current top 3 or 4.

In no particular order

Brown
Carlisle
Popovich

In fact I'll say those are the three best coaches in the NBA right now.

Although Phil Jackson, Jeff Van Gundy, Flip Saunders, Jerry Sloan and a couple more I am forgeting are right there. If Stan Van Gundy is as good as he was this past season, I'll put him there, but he has only coached one season.

I judge a coach by watching how the team plays. Everyone can argue that so and so should have played 6 more minutes and so and so 6 fewer minutes in any certain game.

ChicagoJ
05-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Carlisle is a good, but not yet great coach. One thing that I wish he would've done is try to have Freddie spend some time at the point. Not full time, but maybe even as Tinsley's back up. If Dwyane Wade (who was a shooting guard his whole life) can run plays, then Freddie can run the point too since that was his role at Oregon. Besides, he was drafted as a combo guard. He would lessen Billups offense.

LA, I agree. But since he didn't play him at PG all season, its too late for now. I've questioned this a few times this season, along with Rick's decision to bury Brezec at the end of the bench. We could also use another big with a few skills for about six minutes per game right about now, and Pollard ain't the answer.

I'd rank Rick as very, very good. But he's a long way from the guys I consider better - primarily because those guys *are* better playoff coaches. (JVG, Riley, Sloan, maybe even Brownie, and perhaps the two jerks out west - you know who I mean but I refuse to name them).

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 04:19 PM

LA, I agree. But since he didn't play him at PG all season, its too late for now. I've questioned this a few times this season, along with Rick's decision to bury Brezec at the end of the bench. We could also use another big with a few skills for about six minutes per game right about now, and Pollard ain't the answer.

I'd rank Rick as very, very good. But he's a long way from the guys I consider better - primarily because those guys *are* better playoff coaches. (JVG, Riley, Sloan, maybe even Brownie, and perhaps the two jerks out west - you know who I mean but I refuse to name them).

Jay, I know the one jerk is Phil Jackson, but I am curious who the second jerk out west is. I really don't know. Adelman?

MSA2CF
05-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Jay, I know the one jerk is Phil Jackson, but I am curious who the second jerk out west is. I really don't know. Adelman?

I think Rick should be canned...I think he is clearly the biggest reason his team can't get to the Finals. That's just me though.

ChicagoJ
05-28-2004, 04:27 PM

You named him. Fired Bo Hill when all of Bo's players were injured. Said nasty things about Artest earlier in the playoffs. I really, really don't like him. :)

beast23
05-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Actually, if Freddie were fortunate enough to hit his first 3-point shot in a game, I think he could be a real difference maker.

Freddie was hitting his perimeter shots before his injury, and that totally opened up things for the Pacers. When the defender rushed to pick him up, he blew right by the defender and went straight to the hoop.

He could do the same against Detroit, IF he hit his first one or two 3-point attempts.

And if Freddie hit a couple in a row, I'd never put Reggie back in the game. I'd let Freddie ride it out with his athleticism on both ends of the floor.

Suaveness
05-28-2004, 05:54 PM
FREDDIE IS THE MAN!!!

Yes, Fred was playing much better from the perimeter before the playoffs and the injury. I have said this a lot and I know that he will be really good next year. All he needs is the confidence to do more. Right now we have 2 SG's who want to pass.

Just read my signature.

:dance:

Roy Munson
05-28-2004, 06:43 PM
If Dwyane Wade (who was a shooting guard his whole life) can run plays, then Freddie can run the point too since that was his role at Oregon.

Umm, no.

Freddie never played point at Oregon. Luke Ridnour played point on that team, and he rarely came out of the game. Freddie's role on that team was more of a 2/3 combo. Mostly 2, but he'd guard other teams 3's sometimes (such as Richard Jefferson at Arizona).

But I agree completely that he needs to be transitioned into more of a ball-handling role with the Pacers. He's going to be a star. I do wish that coach would loosen things up for him a bit though. He'd flourish in more of a wide open game.

It would be nice if the Pacers could speed it up on offense while retaining their lock-down ability on defense. I suppose that's the ulitmate goal for a lot of teams.

PaceBalls
05-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Everyone says Fred needs a bigger role, but I have noticed he gets lost out there sometimes. He is great when he has the ball, but it's his off the ball offense I'm not completely sold on yet. And that's a big reason he isnt getting 30+ mins I would imagine. If I notice that, I am sure Rick does too.

PaceBalls
05-28-2004, 07:40 PM
And Rick is the best coach in the League, no doubt in my mind. It is hard to really make a good argument for the case though. brad miller sheed etc...

We got the best one out there for the next 2 years. I completely agree with L.Birds statement that a team needs a new coach every 3 years. So Unless Rick wins 3 consecutive championships or something, thats probably only how long he will stay in Indy.