PDA

View Full Version : What made you a Pacers fan?

Shade
05-28-2004, 02:09 AM
With all the talk of fair-weather this and bandwagon that, I thought it would be interesting to see what made everyone a fan of the Pacers.

I honestly don't remember exactly why I was enamored with the Pacers, but I became a fan in 1991. I was a Rifleman fan, and grew into a Reggie fan from there. I guess I just liked the three-point chuckers, which explains why I shot so many when I was younger. ;)

I also was a Hawks fan for a short stint, when they had Nique and Spudd. I also liked their jerseys. :shrug:

JOneal7
05-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Hawks had killer jerseys!
As for how did i become a pacer fan? ask Kstat.
Apparently a month ago when the playoffs started i had decided i was going to root for the pacers to win every game. And never sulk. I'm 2 positive so i'm a bandwagon fan :(...

on the real tho. My mom has family in indianapolis and we visit there all the time. Basically back in 94 or so? I had lived there for a few months before moving to fl and i had gotten a pacers T Shirt and Reggie Miller jersey as a gift. I didn't even understand much basketball till moving to orlando. I remember my first magic game was vs the pacers on the road. Nick anderson Drove the lane and dunked it but it was waved off and indiana won. So i took a liking to both teams. I remember being numb on the floor when LJ hit that shot with the 4 pt play and did that stupid L thing. :-/...I remember watching the nets series few years ago and Reggie hit a turnaround halfcourt prayer. I jumped so high i put a hole in my wall! (lol no lie).
oh well i'm a bandwagon fan :(

t-Bone
05-28-2004, 02:42 AM
My dad was a very BIG pacer fan from the old aba days. He took me to a game up in MSA in 92 versus zo, LJ and the hornets. Around the 4th quarter mark, we decided to sneak from our nosebleed seats to lower seats. MSA was only around 60-70 percent capacity and we ended up sitting in the 3rd row :) I was a fan of pooh and detlef big time. I came back home and my friends were more interesting in if i saw zo dunk or LJ do this or that. :rolleyes: :laugh:

kerosene
05-28-2004, 02:42 AM
I used to go to Pacers games when I was a kid at MSA. My dad's company had season tix and he'd take me and my older brother when he had us on weekends or we'd go with my aunt sometimes. Hard times being a fan then. Admittedly I didn't watch much sports aside from college bball for a few years there.

The Brown teams and playoff magic began when I was finishing college and when I first moved to California. At that point I was a fan but the people I lived with were GSW fans and it seems like people were always disrepecting the Pacers when they were playing the Knicks in the playoffs, etc. That's when I became a defender of the faith so to speak.

As a Pacers fan I wandered without a home until one day I decided to actually check out that there Forums link at IS. Read the forums for almost a year before signing up and making my first post. I mention that because I feel that both IS and PD have keep me more in touch with the Pacers than I would've been and has fueled the Pacers love. Oh yeah, I've also met some great people who also happen to be Pacers fans too :)

I'm also a Warriors fan as most of you probably know. I believe in supporting the home team and that can be frustrating at times here but still, they're one of my teams now. Pacers fan first, W's fan second. Crap, I missed out on the good W's teams too (Run-TMC). As the banner at warriorsworld.net states: We got suck. heh. Anyway...

obnoxiousmodesty
05-28-2004, 03:08 AM
I was born in Indiana. I know that's not a good story to tell, but for as long as I can remember I've been following the Pacers' ups and downs.

waterjater
05-28-2004, 03:41 AM
Hey Shade,

I've been a fan for 27 years starting when I moved to Indy in the middle 70's. I remember arriving at MSA about 1/2 hour before tip off and scalping a 3rd row seat for zero to $10. Sometimes people would give me a ticket. I just loved the game and my home town team. Indiana is home for me even though I live in San Diego now.

Players like Don Buse, Billy Knight, Clark Kellogg, Herb Williams, Vern Fleming, Chuck Person (Great player), then the Miller/Smits/Davis years, Jalen Rose up to today.

Coaches like Bob Hill, Jack Ramsay, Dick Versace (my goodness was he bad) etc. Then, low and behold, Larry Brown as coach and Byron Scott as a key NBA champion veteran came to town and turned this team around. Those Eastern Conference Finals games surrounding the Indy 500 were awesome!! And the shot heard round Indiana, "and Byron Scott for 3!" and we took at Shaq and Orlando!!!

And finally, in the Larry Bird era, we achieved something I never thought possible when we got to the NBA Finals and were just a few plays shy of taking out the Lakers!! I flew home for Game 3 of the NBA finals. AWESOME!!

If we make it back, you can count on me flying home for at least 1 game!!

Keeping the faith!!

Water

Hicks
05-28-2004, 04:07 AM
Born and raised in Indiana; grew up told to root for the home team, so I appreciated the Pacers in the mid 90s, but didn't care a lot.

But as I was watching one year... one moment... got me hooked.

Bob Costas: "Harper's on Miller.... McKey.... Gets it into Miller for the win! HE SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!"

1998 ECF, Reggie over Jordan to win the game.

ABADays
05-28-2004, 08:14 AM
Sophomore is high school when pro basketbal came to Indiana in 1967. Listened to the first game on the radio between the Pacers and the Kentucky Colonels. Have never waivered from that day.

indygeezer
05-28-2004, 08:20 AM
I stopped in to a Marathon station one day and they were giving away tickets to the opening night of this new group called the Indina Pacers. Well I couldn't go, but my interest was piqued so i listened on the radio. You could probably count on your fingers and toes the number of games I've missed over the years...total, either listening, watching, or attending. Since 1967 die hard Pacer fan and former season tix holder.

Will Galen
05-28-2004, 08:24 AM
I was living in nearby Anderson when the Pacers were born. They used to play exhibition games in the Anderson Wigwam, and I'd go see them.

So I've been a fan from day 1.

Will Galen
05-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Wow, the last three posters have been Pacer fans for a total of 111 years. :laugh:

ABADays
05-28-2004, 08:44 AM
And I bet we all take pride in that!!!!!!!

BillS
05-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Add another 37 years ...

When the team started my Dad would get tickets to the games at the Colliseum. I remember hating Kentucky with a passion and being very unhappy when we lost to the Nets.

I was there for the first game at MSA, I was there when we started the NBA era, and I was there on champagne opening night when the Simons had their debut.

Then, in 1984, I moved to Basketball Hell, and lost track of the team somewhat due to lack of access to information. I kept up, kept track of some of the players, but didn't really know them well - except for main guys like Clark and Stipo and Vern. Soon there was this up-and-coming guy named Reggie Miller and this stiff named Rik Smits.

In 1993-94 the Hawks had a great team and there actually began to be basketball coverage in the Atlanta papers. In the second round of the playoffs, they were going to play the Pacers. I got tickets and made a courtesy call to my wife asking if she wanted to go. I expected a "no" and then I was going to ask a buddy - but she said "yes, I love basketball!" :omg: (she never let me watch it on TV because of the squeaky noise ...)

We went, and the rest is history as she became a huge Reggie fan and I found something else we could do together whenever possible.

So, despite a few years of weak faith, I've been a member of the Church of Blue and Gold for a long time ...

ABADays
05-28-2004, 08:48 AM
It's too bad the young'uns on the board have no clue how much hate there was for the Kentucky Colonels. The only thing remotely close to it in the NBA was the feelings for the Knicks.

Gyron
05-28-2004, 08:49 AM
I've been a fan since around 1992. I grew up in Indiana, but didn't really start following professional basketball until my senior year in high school.

Reggie Miller is one of my all time favorites as I have watched him grow and become the legend through his career. Today, I actually find myself yelling "Give the ball to Bender!" while watching my TV, so I think I may have a new player follow as he advances through his career.

I hope I'm right :)

I moved to Charlotte in 1999 but still follow the pacers faithfully and have attended every game that they came to town since then. But when we lost the hornets, I was afraid that I had lost my way to see the pacers since I don't get home all that often. But With the bobcats coming in, I'm excited that it will give me the opportunity to see my pacers on a semi regular basis once again!

On a side note, I am going to be in Evansville June 4-6 so if the pacers make the finals, I'm going to drive to indy overnight and buy a ticket where ever I can get one.....I have my fingers crossed that they can pull this one out. If they do, it will be my first game in Conseco. I can't wait!

naptownmenace
05-28-2004, 08:58 AM
I've been following the Pacers faithfully since the draft day of 1986. With the 4th pick in the draft, the Pacers selected a forward by the name of Chuck Person and the crowd booed.

I thought that was the worse thing I had ever heard, so I decided I'd root for Person extra hard. The cool thing is, Chuck made it really easy to root for him. He was brash, cocky, and loved hitting clutch three-point shots. Really, Reggie learned all his gamemanship from Chuck. Chuck won the ROY award and the Pacer made the Playoffs and went 3-1 against the mighty (at that time) Hawks. From that point I was hooked.

I followed the Pacers a little before 86' and I loved Clark Kellogg and Steve Stipanovich (Stipo!). I think I saw my first game in MSA when I was four or five years old back in 81' or 82'. I really became a diehard fan of the Pacers, and the NBA in general, in 1986.

GO :pacers:

Slick Pinkham
05-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Born that way, I guess.

Got hooked when about 8 and I went with a church group to see the ABA Pacers play in the fairgrounds coliseum, before MSA was built.

Thanks, I feel old now...

;)

sweabs
05-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Reggie Miller.

This is the guy who began my love for basketball in general.

I was at my Grandma's house - with nothing to watch on TV and I came across a basketball game. Being the athlete I am, I figured, hey - why don't I just watch...it's almost over anyways with about 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

It was 1995 - Eastern Conf. Semis - Game 1 - what a game to watch for your first one EVER. Those last 8 seconds had me out of my chair. I couldn't believe what I had just saw when Reggie hit those 3's as the crowd was exiting - only to come home and turn on their TV and greeted with a little surprise on the sports channel! I ran in the kitchen telling my grandparents what I had just witnessed - and from then on - THE PACERS WERE MY TEAM AND QUITE TRUTHFULLY, ALWAYS WILL BE.

People here where I live (I live in Ontario, Canada) give me weird looks. When the Leafs (Toronto Maple Leafs) are in playoffs - I'm wearing my Pacers jersey and flying my Pacer flag from the car. People will look and quite simply say "Huh?". And I love it.

BayouPacer
05-28-2004, 10:53 AM
I remember being a big fan of college basketball back in the early/mid 90s, and watching a good bit of Georgia Tech, and I had always loved watching Georgia Tech. Up till December 95 I never watched too much NBA ball other than playoffs.

But I played a lot of video games, and in playing NBA Action 95 for the computer, I remember picking Travis Best as a rookie and I remember distinctly how AMAZING he was in that game. As a rookie, they made him unreal, he never missed threes, and could dribble passed everyone. So I always picked him when trading to make a team. My friend always teases me so I began watching and keeping track of the Pacers becuase of Travis Best despite him.

Since I didn't really have an NBA team, and New Orleans didn't have anything, I began to actually enjoy watching the Pacers when I could, and I read about them in the paper and on Sportcenter. It was a new hobby and I loved it.

Luckily I just happened upon a good Pacers team that could hold my interest and since the 95-96 season, I have followed them as much as possible until 98 when they became officially my favorite team, and they will forever. I would even move to Indiana, but the lady friend doesn't think more is up there other than farm land. I tell her that that isn't true, and wouldn't matter anyway, since we would have the Pacers, but she is very stubborn.

So that is my story, not too fabled, but what t he hell.

sweabs
05-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Luckily I just happened upon a good Pacers team that could hold my interest and since the 95-96 season, I have followed them as much as possible until 98 when they became officially my favorite team, and they will forever. I would even move to Indiana, but the lady friend doesn't think more is up there other than farm land. I tell her that that isn't true, and wouldn't matter anyway, since we would have the Pacers, but she is very stubborn.

I too, want to move to Indiana.
I have been there once and loved it - went to see a Pacers/Jazz game.
I am in University studying to become a teacher and would love to move to Indiana to teach...that way I can get season tickets to Pacers games!!!
I know American schools love Ontario-educated teachers...so I'll be doing my best!

ChicagoJ
05-28-2004, 10:57 AM
Jay's_Dad@Section222 was a fan from the Pacers inception, and he went to games at the Fairgrounds all the time.

When my mom was in labor with me, Dad 'claims' he wasn't allowed in the delivery room, so he sat in the waiting room at St. Francis back in October of 1969 and listened to Jerry Baker call a Pacers pre-season game on the radio.

When you're brought into the world that way, I guess you don't really have a choice, do you? ;)

Although I'm "old school", my memories of the ABA teams aren't first hand. But Dad was very passionate about that team (he and Slick belonged to the same fraternity in Bloomington). Dad was also a basketball coach, so when he'd tell me stories of the games he'd break down the players tendencies, strenghts, etc., so I've got a good mental picture of the ABA-era Pacers. But my first games were at MSA in the mid-seventies. And it was a nightly ritual around our house to listen to Bob Lamey on the radio, hoping that "Jimmy" Edwards wouldn't get in foul trouble and cheering hard for Billy Knight.

Admittedly, we had a hard time following the Pacers during the Sam Nassi years, but once the Simons got involved we tried to get excited again. But we didn't really get "the fever" again until Chuck Person was drafted. (Since Clark and Herb could only go 9-9 when they teamed up against the Big Ten, we always felt they had no chance whatsoever against NBA competition, and thier history of 20-win seasons proved us right.)

I call myself "Chuck Person's biggest fan" (although I know I'm probably not) as a tribute to the fact that Chuck Person single-handedly rekindled the long-dormant love affair between Indianapolis and the Pacers as a rookie. My first playoff game was against Atlanta in 1987, and I've been hooked on the NBA-playoff-drug ever since. MSA was electric, and although it took several years to take the next step (including a step backwards during the Dick Versace days), my passion for the Pacers has not changed.

I moved out of town during the week of the 2000 NBA Finals, but unlike some of the other transplanted Pacers fans, I'm still within driving distance so I kept a half-season ticket account so I could guarantee my playoff seats.

Dukins
05-28-2004, 10:58 AM
My uncle took me to my first pacer game when, Steve "Stipo" Stiponavich was playing. I was a youngin and i just stayed with as i got older. I believe that was my first interaction with sports.

JOneal7
05-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Reggie Miller.

This is the guy who began my love for basketball in general.

I was at my Grandma's house - with nothing to watch on TV and I came across a basketball game. Being the athlete I am, I figured, hey - why don't I just watch...it's almost over anyways with about 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

It was 1995 - Eastern Conf. Semis - Game 1 - what a game to watch for your first one EVER. Those last 8 seconds had me out of my chair. I couldn't believe what I had just saw when Reggie hit those 3's as the crowd was exiting - only to come home and turn on their TV and greeted with a little surprise on the sports channel! I ran in the kitchen telling my grandparents what I had just witnessed - and from then on - THE PACERS WERE MY TEAM AND QUITE TRUTHFULLY, ALWAYS WILL BE.

People here where I live (I live in Ontario, Canada) give me weird looks. When the Leafs (Toronto Maple Leafs) are in playoffs - I'm wearing my Pacers jersey and flying my Pacer flag from the car. People will look and quite simply say "Huh?". And I love it.

exactly. The stuff people would say to me in The TD Centre when i went to the games this season were PRICELESS. LOL
Of course then i had people ask before i got my Air Force one's in pacer throwback colors. They would be like..."Why you wearing T-mac shoes if your a pacer fan?" BOOM! Cover blown. LOL, then i'd just tell em on any other night it's magic man but tonight it's pacers. It's the only 2 times a year ican see them! well that and the 3 playoff games i went to. 5 games a year just isn't enough tho...can't wait to move! :P
btw yall do make me feel young!
:laugh:

Mr. Pink
05-28-2004, 11:50 AM
I was born in Indiana, and all I've known growing up were the Bulls and Reggie Miller. Hearing you old fellas call him a "up-and-coming" player is a little weird! :)

I remember the Knick series, the Bulls series, the Finals trip... I've been to a couple of games at MSA. I remember one of them Rik Smits hit a 3!

I grew away from the NBA for about a lil bit, and when I started my interest again it started with the Kings. I love the Kings, but I also dearly love the Pacers. I've known them since forever.

Sactolover

sweabs
05-28-2004, 11:51 AM
I was born in Indiana, and all I've known growing up were the Bulls and Reggie Miller. Hearing you old fellas call him a "up-and-coming" player is a little weird! :)

I remember the Knick series, the Bulls series, the Finals trip... I've been to a couple of games at MSA. I remember one of them Rik Smits hit a 3!

I grew away from the NBA for about a lil bit, and when I started my interest again it started with the Kings. I love the Kings, but I also dearly love the Pacers. I've known them since forever.

Sactolover

Well that's an odd combination! :D .

Mr. Pink
05-28-2004, 11:59 AM

Sactolover

Well that's an odd combination! :D .

Ya, I know....oh well. :dance: :pepper:

Sactolover

MSA2CF
05-28-2004, 12:55 PM
What made me a Pacers fan?

I went to a Pacers game...nothing exciting or "important"...

It was just a normal game...We may have even lost it, I don't remember...

I just liked the comradery and the sense of being part of a big family inside Market Square Arena...From then on, I began watching the games and going to a handful every season...

Steveman
05-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Back in the late 50's my dad moved the family from the coal mines of Kentucy to Detroit, and finally to Indy, where my brother and I were born.

My dad took me to my first Pacers game back in the early 70's, and of course, it was against the Kentucky Colonels :laugh:

Naturally, being a true born Hoosier, I was a Pacers fan! Now, can you imagine what it was like in my house when the Pacers and Colonels played? :argue: :D

AcneBrain
05-28-2004, 02:28 PM
My family lives in Indiana, and they knew I was interested in basketball. They called me to tell me a Pacers game was on.

It was May 25th, 1998. It was the last minute of the game. Reggie made the 3 to win it. You guys know the game!

Pacer fan ever since.

Millerartest
05-28-2004, 03:29 PM
As a kid in Indiana, I came to love the NBA and watched every Pacer televised road games for years coming to be a fan simply because they were local, and in my mind, being an underdog was fun. I used to love to go to early round playoff games and be in awe of great teams like the Pistons, Celtics and Knicks who could easily stomp us.

Being there for the rise of Reggie and the Pacers shocking move into the Eastern Conference Finals that first year, during which I attended every playoff game, hooked me in all the way. The rival with New York and becoming center stage in the NBA, and having Michael Jordan as one of the greatest athletes of all time to strive to beat, made the runs that much more enduring.

I will always enjoy the NBA, though the egregious amounts of money they hoarde bothers me, and when Reggie retires, being already hundreds of miles away, my interest in the Pacers will likely wane.