PDA

View Full Version : Artest and a Broom?

diego
05-28-2004, 09:48 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that Artest showed up to practice with a broom. He told the coach and player that was guarding while he took shots to hold the broom in his face. He said this is what it feels like to play against them and how hard it is to get shots off, so he wanted to simulate it as much as possible.

Sounds like Ronnie is getting serious.

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Also heard on NBATV last night that the pacers had to drag him off the floor after practice because the second of the two team buses was waiting.

Remember a few years ago during a regular season game at Detroit, Ron was seen playing basketball on an outside court.

I still love the guy.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/150389-9856-036.html

notebook
Artest brings props to his preparation
He practices shooting with broom in face to simulate Pistons' defense.

Ron Artest practices his jump shot over a broom held up by Pacers assistant coach Chad Forcier during Indiana's workout to simulate working against Detroit's defense. -- Matt Kryger / The Star

By Phil Richards
phil.richards@indystar.com
May 28, 2004

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Seeking a way out of the 15-for-57 shooting slump that has shackled him through the first three games of Indiana's Eastern Conference finals series with Detroit, Pacers forward Ron Artest took a hike Thursday. He returned to the floor at the Palace of Auburn Hills carrying a broom.

With Pacers assistant coach Chad Forcier flashing the broom in his face on every attempt, Artest put himself through a vigorous post-practice shooting session. He shot from five areas on the floor, mostly from the perimeter. He hit 24-of-59 attempts.

No, 40.6 is not an awesome percentage, but it isn't bad with a broom in your face, and it's considerably better than the 26.3 percent Artest has managed against the Pistons. He professed confidence going into Game 4 tonight.

"A lot of my shots were on the rim, almost in and out," he said of his 4-for-13, 13-point performance in the Wednesday loss that put the Pacers in a 2-1 deficit. "Two bad shots: one air ball, one brick.

"People have been talking about, 'Why you haven't been hitting your jump shots?' But all season I haven't been a jump shooter; I've been getting to the bucket. That's my game and I'm not going to change because it's the playoffs."

Artest might not be concerned about his jump shot, but before leaving the arena, he went back onto the court.

"OK. Three in a row," he said.

He spotted up just outside the 3-point arc. He missed perhaps 7-of-8.

"Shoot," Artest said. "I'll make just one."

Foul line a boon

Artest isn't the only one struggling with his shot. The Pacers are shooting a collective 31.9 percent. They have hit 12-of-54 3-pointers for 22.2 percent.

They might have found the antidote during the fourth quarter Wednesday. They attacked the Pistons and the basket. They made Detroit defend. They got to the foul line. Indiana hit 14-of-15 free throws while scoring 33 fourth-period points, three more than it scored during the first half.

"The best remedy for getting out of a slump is getting to the free throw line and getting a rhythm," said Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal, who was 10-for-11 from the line. "I've been trying to go on those guys, to get myself going, to get some easy free throws. The opportunity is definitely there.

"(The Pistons) are pretty good when you just sit there, but when you attack them and make them work, it makes them more vulnerable."

Ripped by 'Rip'

Guard Rip Hamilton is Detroit's leading scorer in the series, at 22 points a game. He has been at his best when it has mattered most.

Hamilton scored only six points during the fourth quarter of the Pistons' Game 1 loss, but he came back two nights later to account for 13 of his team's 17 points during the final period of Detroit's victory. He managed eight more over the last 12 minutes Wednesday night.

Until the final quarter, the Pacers had done a credible job on Hamilton by rotating Miller, Artest and Fred Jones on him.

Jones is a strong backcourt defender, but he has been troubled by a left shoulder problem. He played 15 minutes Wednesday, nearly twice his playing time during the first two games.

Ugly basketball?

The Pistons bristled at the notion that the series is ugly basketball.

"It's funny to me," Detroit point guard Chauncey Billups said. "But like I said the other day, I don't care if it's 24-23, as long as we got the 24. Eighty-five points (Wednesday) night, that felt like 112."

Detroit's 85-78 victory was the first time either team scored more than 80 points. The Pacers won the opener 78-74 and the Pistons took the second game 72-67.

"The last thing I want to do is sit here and have to defend how two of the best teams in the league play basketball," Detroit center Ben Wallace said. "Call it what you want."

Call Star reporter Phil Richards at (317) 444-6408.

MagicRat
05-28-2004, 10:18 AM
I like the hard work and all, but if someone is sticking a broom in your face: pass.................

sweabs
05-28-2004, 10:19 AM
I still love the guy.

It's pretty hard not to.

Dukins
05-28-2004, 11:03 AM
His determination to improve is a thing of beauty. :D

Fool
05-28-2004, 11:33 AM
That is a rather inventive idea.

sweabs
05-28-2004, 11:36 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/negative18.jpg :pity: .

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 11:37 AM
I know his teammates get frustrated by Ron. His shot selection, certainly last seasons antics.

And Ron is not easy to coach, he is a little stubborn, he breaks plays, he likes to take some wild shots.

Fans get frustrated with him from time to time for some of the same reasons.

But no one wants to win more, no one works harder and no one plays harder.

I know one thing I want him on the floor 40 minutes tonight, I don't care if he is shooting 1-15 from the field, I want him on the floor. He is a winner, and a warrior. Ron is learning what great defense is at this level, he will find a way, and even if by chance he doesn't, we win or lose with Ron. J.O and Ronnie are the face of this Pacers team.

waterjater
05-28-2004, 11:39 AM
I hope he had the staff persone continually hit him in the arms and shoulders with the broom while shooting, since this is what occurs in the games.

He's going to have to hit shots while being fouled. Because all the contact the Piston's make while he's shooting isn't considered a foul :rolleyes:

water

Snickers
05-28-2004, 11:40 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

:laugh: Hey, be easy on the first-timer.

At first glance, I thought this headline was about Ron thinking we would sweep the Pistons.... I was thinking, "Wow, Ronnie's finally lost it...." :neutral:

I remember shooting over brooms in HS, but I've never heard of a player having somebody shove a broom in his face while shooting. I just hope the Pistons players don't have swiffers tonight. :(

sweabs
05-28-2004, 11:40 AM
I completely agree UB.

I have a question - I heard on a Canadian Sports Network that Ron was flipping the bird to the fans when he did it in Game 2...I thought it was at the refs? The people said he was upset because the fans were getting on him? I wasn't really sure...I thought he was doing it to the refs - either way it's obviously distasteful.

sweabs
05-28-2004, 11:41 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

:laugh: Hey, be easy on the first-timer.

At first glance, I thought this headline was about Ron thinking we would sweep the Pistons.... I was thinking, "Wow, Ronnie's finally lost it...." :neutral:

I remember shooting over brooms in HS, but I've never heard of a player having somebody shove a broom in his face while shooting. I just hope the Pistons players don't have swiffers tonight. :(

Nah - I wasn't giving him a hard time! Just look at his username! That could be his new avatar!

Graywolf_59
05-28-2004, 11:44 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that Artest showed up to practice with a broom. He told the coach and player that was guarding while he took shots to hold the broom in his face. He said this is what it feels like to play against them and how hard it is to get shots off, so he wanted to simulate it as much as possible.

Sounds like Ronnie is getting serious.Or is Ron saying Detoit win's 4 in a row????

"People have been talking about, 'Why you haven't been hitting your jump shots?' But all season I haven't been a jump shooter; I've been getting to the bucket. That's my game and I'm not going to change because it's the playoffs."

Then Take the ***** to them....Don't _uck with the jumper........Get the 2+ or the 2 from the line=Be Aggresive!You have taken it to the hoop all season long.......Why stop now just because of the Wallace's are in there...Don't stop what got you here!!!!This Whole Pacer team has gotten away from What got them here------HUNGER for the Trophy!!!

MagicRat
05-28-2004, 11:46 AM
http://www.indystar.com/images/pics2/section-image-069117-6681.jpg

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 11:47 AM
I completely agree UB.

I have a question - I heard on a Canadian Sports Network that Ron was flipping the bird to the fans when he did it in Game 2...I thought it was at the refs? The people said he was upset because the fans were getting on him? I wasn't really sure...I thought he was doing it to the refs - either way it's obviously distasteful.

I thought it was the refs also. He had just scored finally and was fouled again for maybe the 5th time without getting a call, so he was saying #@$* you I can socre even when you don't call the fouls.

I sit 15 rows up fromn the floor, and I did not think the fans were getting on him that much at all.

Snickers
05-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Nah - I wasn't giving him a hard time! Just look at his username! That could be his new avatar!

Oh, I know you weren't. That would be a great avatar, if he [or she] sticks around.

Don't go nowhere, Fool! :mad: :flirt:

Bball
05-28-2004, 12:11 PM
....And he missed 7 of 8 unguarded 3 pointers to end practice... Did I read that right? :cry:

-Bball

Unclebuck
05-28-2004, 12:15 PM
....And he missed 7 of 8 unguarded 3 pointers to end practice... Did I read that right? :cry:

-Bball

That broom is the best defender in the league

Bball
05-28-2004, 12:32 PM

-Bball

That broom is the best defender in the league
:idea:
Maybe we can put the broom on Rip for tonight's game?

-Bball

Millerartest
05-28-2004, 03:45 PM
It's great to see such creativity and dedication and color. This is a good sign. Reminds me of Rocky training to beat the champion. They have a picture up on the Star website. Here's to Ron coming out his shooting slump, and to taking only smart shots!

Shade
05-29-2004, 12:20 AM
The broom thing seemed to work wonders tonight. Ronnie's shots had noticably more arch on them -- just like you would need to shoot over a broom. :cool: