PDA

View Full Version : If you have kids, give me some advice

Anthem
10-01-2007, 01:52 AM
My daughter is 7 months old. She started sleeping through the night pretty early, and my wife and I have been having a lovely time getting 8 (or at least 7) hours of uninterrupted sleep per night. In the past week, though, she's suddenly become a terror. She's waking up several times per night, and each time she has her "I'm mad" yell. She's not hungry, she's not sick, she's not gassy. She's just mad that she's in the dark when she wants to be up.

One of our books talked about "separation anxiety," but that wouldn't explain why she wakes up when there's nothing going on to wake her up. Once she wakes up, she stays mad until she wears herself out and goes back to sleep. She'll stop crying if we bring her into our room and she can play, but she'll cry if we hold her in her room (since she knows that means she's about to get put back to bed). Over the last two nights, we've just let her cry for 45 minutes until she falls back to sleep. I don't know if that's the right thing or not, but we're trying to get her out of the mindset of "I can get up any time I want and my parents will keep me company and feed me." She's not hungry, she just eats for comfort.

So. Any ideas? I crave words of wisdom from somebody who's gone through this before.

travmil
10-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Our son is 11 months and we had a similar situation. He started sleeping through the night around 2 months, until he got to about the same point as your daughter. We fretted about it for about a week, and then our pediatrician told us to keep him up an extra 45 minutes to an hour before bedtime. So instead of bedtime at 7 it was 7:45 to 8. Worked like a charm. I hope you find something as simple.

Gyron
10-08-2007, 10:07 AM
You are also at about the time for teething to start. If it hasn't already.

My son (12 months old) started sleeping 12 hours a night from about week 3. We went through about 4 weeks there at 8-9 months that were pretty rough waking up a few times a night. The only thing that could get him back to sleep was to bring him into our room and let him lay in our bed with us for a short time.

Bad habit to start, I know, but after a point, you are tired and give in.

But when the teething slowed up, he's back to sleeping through the night again. Averages 11 to 12 hours a night. He doen't have molars yet, and I understand those will be fun for us when those come in too as they are more painful coming in than the front teeth.

We've had a new experience in the last week or so. He's had his first ear infection. So he's woke up a few times crying, but for the most part, he's ben pretty easy to get right back to sleep if he doesn't do it himself within a minute or two.

Anthem
10-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Pediatrician gave us good advice that's worked like a charm.

He said the problem is that she's going to sleep in one place and waking up in another, and it freaks her out. So what she needs to do is go to sleep in her own bed every night instead of falling asleep in the living room and being carried into her room.

She's slept through the night ever since then.

Gyron
10-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Good advice, I'll have to remember that.

btowncolt
10-08-2007, 12:10 PM
So the whiskey idea didn't work? Or should I have kept that in the PMs?

Gyron
10-08-2007, 01:01 PM
We combined the Whiskey with Demerol. I slept like a baby.

I'm not sure how the baby slept because I could've slept straight through anything with that combo....

J/K of course.....