PDA

View Full Version : The Three Keys to a Pacer Victory tomorrow

brichard
05-27-2004, 07:22 PM
There is much to be said about the game, but here are my three keys to us winning the game tomorrow. What are your thoughts? Just keep it to three!

1. Reggies Floater- If Reggie hits the runner, then he creates a whole different matchup problem for Rip. Sometimes he mixes it up and sometimes he settles for hanging out behind the line.

2. Ron's Offense- He needs to get 15 and he needs to shoot at least 40% to get it. If anybody should go down the lane without fear, it should be this guy. It would help if he would hit his three point shot again.

3. Tinsely's Penetration- Dude has to force the issue... end of story.

:pepper:

Roy Munson
05-27-2004, 07:34 PM
There is much to be said about the game, but here are my three keys to us winning the game tomorrow. What are your thoughts? Just keep it to three!

1. Reggies Floater- If Reggie hits the runner, then he creates a whole different matchup problem for Rip. Sometimes he mixes it up and sometimes he settles for hanging out behind the line.

2. Ron's Offense- He needs to get 15 and he needs to shoot at least 40% to get it. If anybody should go down the lane without fear, it should be this guy. It would help if he would hit his three point shot again.

3. Tinsely's Penetration- Dude has to force the issue... end of story.

:pepper:

I disagree, pretty much, with all of that.

If Reggie is shooting floaters, I think the Pacers are in trouble.

If Ron decides he has to score 15+, then he'll probably go back to dominating the ball, ball-movement will stop, the Piston's defense will collapse, and the Pacers are in trouble. Artest needs to take good shots, period. When he starts forcing things the Pacers are in trouble.

Tinsley is hurt and he's not going to be doing any penetrating. I'd like to see AJ and FJ in the game quite a bit for game 4

If Artest isn't going to produce, I'd like to see more Bender. Even if Artest does have a good game, i want more energy on the floor. Bender brings energy. Freddie brings energy. Croshere brings energy.

Freddie can play the point against Detroit. The pistons don't have an unstoppable penetrator ala Wade, or a real quick guy like TJ Ford. Freddie can guard any of the Piston guards.

How about Freddie at 1, Artest at 2, Bender/Croshere at 3, Harrington/Croshere at 4, JO at 5. I'd like to see some stretches of this lineup. It might bring some energy and some speed.

brichard
05-27-2004, 08:15 PM
We have to make adjustments, but we can't completely abolish what got us here or we will definitely fail. We got here with Ron as our number 2 scorer. I'm not saying we have him chuck it for fun, we get him sensible shots that he has hit all year.

If Tinsley suits up, he's got to play. And in order to beat this defense you have to drive. He is the only person with a good enough handle that I trust to do it often. Al, JB and Fred can do it, but not as effectively.

Reggie has to hit baskets when nobody else can. When he hits the floater the red flags come up. When more attention is paid to him, it frees up other guys on the floor. Reggie can create his own shot when he hits the runner, and he is only one of a few guys who can do that. He is such a versatile offensive weapon, and he has to be that weapon when a cap is on the basket.

Your wholesale substitution lineup might work, but at this stage of the season, I don't think you blow up what got you here. You tinker with it and change your strategy, but you don't start from scratch.

ChicagoJ
05-27-2004, 09:01 PM
We have to make adjustments, but we can't completely abolish what got us here or we will definitely fail.

Right. But your keys are probably somewhere around #3, #5 and #10 on the priority list, and probably in the opposite order of your list.

We got here because were a defensive-oriented team with an inside-out offense based on feeding the ball to JO.

Ron is the second option but if he shoots another three-pointer this season then Rick should bench him for a while.

Transition buckets generatied by our defense / Tinsley's penetration is the third option.

Reggie's offense is gravy. But I'd rather he take floaters than three-pointers.

:idea: Can you tell that right now I completely hate the three-point shot? We need to take higher % shots, I'd rather hit 35% of my two-point FGAs than 10% of my 3-pt FGAs.

Roy, Fred has played less than five minutes of PG all season. I'm all for him being the backup PG next season (as I've said numerous times), but now is not the time to throw him at the wolves and out of position. If Tinsley is truly hurt enough to be ineffective, then this series is over, period. He's our MIP against the Pistons, with the "I" representing "Important."

Shade
05-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Our key is quite simple, really. Play the defense and offense we're capable of, and let the chips fall where they may.

ChicagoJ
05-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Our key is quite simple, really. Play the defense and offense we're capable of, and let the chips fall where they may.

I agree, and I think I forgot to make that point in my post.

I hope all of our adjustments are un-adjustments. Let's just play them straight up and see what happens in Game #4.

brichard
05-27-2004, 11:35 PM
Jay,

I agree that my list is not in order of importance, but they are all inter-related. They also aren't the three most important keys in terms of a game, obviously our defense is number one. However, I'm just trying to think of one of the play-by-play guys and point out some glaring weaknesses.

You don't like the 3-ball eh? Why do you think we are shooting so many? Why do you think Ron's point production has soured? The reason is one in the same. Our offense isn't generating any buckets, so Ron or somebody else ends up chucking a three or another ill advised shot. Everybody blames Ron for the shots, but with nobody else open he at least knows he has the strength to get off his shot at just about any time. Unfortunately he just hasn't been able to make them. I'm sure he would pass it if somebody was available to pass to.

This is why Tinsley's dribble penetration is so important. If we don't figure out to drive the lane, get the help defense to commit, and expose the open man... we will continue to shoot a crappy percentage. We will also continue to take horrible shots, b/c that is all that will be available if you play Detroit the way we have played them thus far. JT has got to create, and he is quite good at it when he pushes it.

Reggie's importance relates to momentum and the mental aspect of the game. No matter what we do, there will be scoring droughts. JO should be the guy that pulls us out of those droughts, but I'm not convinced he has arrived to that level yet. However, I do have confidence that #31 can get a shot just about anytime and anywhere. His contributions don't need to be many, but there are times where we still need Superman. To be that person, he just can't pitch a tent behind the 3-pt line. When he hits the runner, now you can have Reggie drive and dish as they respect his offense a little more.

I'm sure we will try and post up JO more and it makes sense. But you have to have more than just one play in the old play book. When we have driven to the hole this series, good things have happened. When we don't, we stink. Just my opinon.

Millerartest
05-27-2004, 11:44 PM
I agree with the original points. This "let the chips fall where they may" is far too passive of an approach and have the Pacers finished 4-1. Reggie needs to get involved early. Artest is going to shoot, but to up his percentage he needs to take smarter shots. And of course Tinsley needs to drive the lane. I saw some of that in the 4th quarter and hope he continues to do so. Pacers defense has been great. Their offense needs serious readjustment and I think it starts with Reggie and Ron.