PDA

View Full Version : Student Licensing of MS Products... XP Still available?

Anthem
09-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Hopefully somebody can help me out here.

Is Microsoft still offering massive student discounts on XP at universities? Or is it all Vista now?

Hicks
09-21-2007, 09:51 PM
As of last Spring, my last at Ball State, both XP and Vista Ultimate were available for free as a student. Unless you paid them to burn it on a DVD-R for you. If you downloaded the .iso , it was free.

obnoxiousmodesty
09-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Purdue is still offering XP Professional for $30 per student. They're also offering Vista Ultimate Upgrade for $34.

Shade
09-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I think they're both still available at IUPUI. I'll have to drop by the bookstore this week and see.

Fool
09-23-2007, 08:27 PM
You can still get laptops with XP on them from retailers. What you are looking for is available.

Anthem
09-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I bought a Vista laptop, but want to run XP on it instead. My gut response is to just get some clean install media. I'm always leery of using the seller's media, because it comes loaded with crapware. If I could just get another copy of XP, I'd install that.

sweabs
09-24-2007, 05:30 PM
I think I'm one of the few people out there that actually likes Vista.

However, I don't use my computer for much outside of Microsoft Office or downloading.

Anthem
09-24-2007, 10:14 PM
I think I'm one of the few people out there that actually likes Vista.

However, I don't use my computer for much outside of Microsoft Office or downloading.
For the first two minutes that I used Vista, it was cool. Then it went downhill.

In my house I have OSX, Ubuntu Linux, XP, and Vista. Vista is by far the worst of the 4.

sweabs
09-25-2007, 10:42 AM
What is it about Vista that bothers you? I have honestly encountered no problems thus far. As I said, I love the compatibility with Microsoft Office 2007.

bellisimo
10-10-2007, 07:05 AM
What is it about Vista that bothers you? I have honestly encountered no problems thus far. As I said, I love the compatibility with Microsoft Office 2007.

Ive just installed Vista as a dual boot to my new PC that Ive just built so that I could play Halo 2...

It takes about 5-10 minutes just to boot up/shut down.

Even though no programs are running the system clock shows 50% of my RAM is in use :confused:

as for gaming - its a lagfest.

Right now I'll stick with XP till I can upgrade my RAM to 4GB or more :D

even then I hear that if you have more than 2GB you'll be faced with the blue screen of death on Vista - any truth for these rumors?

sweabs
10-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Wow, I haven't encountered any problems like that bellisimo.

But like I said, I don't use it for anything outside of surfing the internet and Microsoft Office 2007.

Mine actually boots up/shuts down faster than it did with XP.