PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Walsh getting props

DisplacedKnick
05-27-2004, 01:57 PM
From David Aldridge: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2004/columns/story?columnist=aldridge_david&id=1809976

Says Donnie's the best GM in the business.

I still think West gets #1. He built the Lakers not just once but twice into a championship team and he's made huge steps with the Grizzlies. He certainly deserves to be in the discussion for second though.

BTW - I apologize if this has been posted already - I looked through the topics the last two days and didn't see anything but I didn't read all the threads.

LAPacer
05-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Its kinda amazing to see the talent that the rebuilding wizards and bulls had. Walsh really has a great eye for potential and team chemistry.

Unclebuck
05-27-2004, 02:19 PM
This quote by Walsh shows why he is the best. Never trade a guy too early. The lottery teams are littered with situations where the traded guys before the teams knew what they had. In fact I think this is the number 1 reason why DW is the best

"I knew that we would be trading guys that we didn't know what they were," Walsh said. "And you never do that. 'Cause you wake up one day and you've really had a surprise. Rip Hamilton, as an example."

fwpacerfan
05-27-2004, 03:36 PM
This quote by Walsh shows why he is the best. Never trade a guy too early. The lottery teams are littered with situations where the traded guys before the teams knew what they had. In fact I think this is the number 1 reason why DW is the best

"I knew that we would be trading guys that we didn't know what they were," Walsh said. "And you never do that. 'Cause you wake up one day and you've really had a surprise. Rip Hamilton, as an example."

That is why Bender is still on this team, the kid's only 23. I heard an interview w/John Paxson today and he was giving props to Indiana in regards to how they have handled the high schoolers. He said they have had the luxury of bringing these guys along slowly and they have the veterans sort of mentor them. I think this helped Al Harrington tremendously. The problem is it is too easy to get frustrated with these guys because they have been around so long when in reality they are still young.