PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite antivirus?

Anthem
09-01-2007, 10:43 PM
So I haven't used Windows in a while, but I need to set up somebody's computer. What's the better antivirus? I'd especially love to hear from people who use both.

Hoop
09-01-2007, 11:16 PM
I've been messing with PC's for 15+ years and have tried just about every AV known to man. I now only use AVG Free along with ZoneAlarm free.

AVG is not a resource hog like Norton and McAfee has turned into. Doesn't completely take over by installing crap everywhere and it works just as good as any of the pay ones. It anyone tells you any different they don't know what there talking about.

Trader Joe
09-01-2007, 11:25 PM
IU has us use Norton and Spybot Search and Destroy in order to hook up to the network.

LG33
09-01-2007, 11:30 PM
I don't really pay for it, my college does, but McAfee seems to work fine.

pwee31
09-01-2007, 11:56 PM
A condom

Anthem
09-02-2007, 12:04 AM
I've always used AVG when on Windows, but recently I've been hearing a lot about Avast.

bellisimo
09-02-2007, 05:14 AM
ESET NOD 32

I think its better than Norton and McAfee...uses about 5mb of ram and updates the definitions on a daily basis.

and to clean up the malware/spyware I use Spyware terminator which does a pretty good job sorting it all out. :)

JayRedd
09-02-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm more of an antipasto guy.

Dab
09-02-2007, 12:01 PM
I use AVG free almost exclusively, but I've heard good things about Avast and Antivir (http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html) as well, which also have free editions.

I've always heard that NOD32 (http://www.eset.com/) is the best, but they don't offer a free edition. However, their pricing schedule is not out of line.

And I've actually been playing around with ClamWin (http://www.clamwin.com/), which is a port of the Linux AV app ClamAV. It's totally free, but I don't really like it, it's slow. But it is totally free.

pig norton
09-02-2007, 12:22 PM
I've been messing with PC's for 15+ years and have tried just about every AV known to man. I now only use AVG Free along with ZoneAlarm free.

AVG is not a resource hog like Norton and McAfee has turned into. Doesn't completely take over by installing crap everywhere and it works just as good as any of the pay ones. It anyone tells you any different they don't know what there talking about.

What's that supposed to mean?!?!;)

Hoop
09-02-2007, 02:19 PM
I've always used AVG when on Windows, but recently I've been hearing a lot about Avast.Avast free is very good, I just like AVG's interface better. You can't go wrong with either one.

SycamoreKen
09-02-2007, 10:55 PM

What he said. I team those up with Spybot and AVG anti spyware to keeps things going strong.

Hoop
09-02-2007, 10:59 PM
What's that supposed to mean?!?!;):D OK you're not bloated, just Norton software.

Hoop
09-02-2007, 11:00 PM
What he said. I team those up with Spybot and AVG anti spyware to keeps things going strong.Me too, Ad-Aware Free was good too, but the new 2007 version has gone way down hill.

cramerica
09-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Symantec and the AF have a contract to let us install it on our home computers for free.

I was a fool last year and bought mcafee...but it's ridiculous.

indygeezer
09-03-2007, 06:05 AM
AVG Free for me.

The service guy that comes into our office said I should go with AVAST on my laptop and loaded it. Now the license has expired and I can't get it re-loaded. Hmmmmm.

Oh, and on my laptop I almost exclusively use IE becasue of this one business site I use that was constructed for an IE platform. I cannot ignore that site, it is exclusive for my industry.

DisplacedKnick
09-03-2007, 09:10 AM
I use McAfee over Norton - I used Norton for quite some time and had some issues, even with the updates. Then we were able to download McAfee for free from work and it immediately found some junk Norton left in so I didn't renew.

I also use Spybot & AdAware.

bellisimo
09-03-2007, 09:59 AM
http://cybernetnews.com/2006/09/04/and-the-best-antivirus-is/

worth a look to see a list of the major Windows anti virus softwares and how they rate up against the testing...

Gyron
09-05-2007, 09:37 AM
I use AVG free.

However, we have Trend Micro here at work, and let me tell you, we have only had maybe 3 or 4 viruses get through in the 3 years since we got it and even then they were minor ones.

Its saved me ALOT of time in IT fighting messes that viruses caused.

But it is very pricey.