PDA

View Full Version : ROT IN HELL - CAR COMPUTERS

ChicagoJ
08-24-2007, 03:05 PM
So, after the huge storms in Chicagoland last night, my wife drove through a huge puddle on her way home.

The car computer recognized that the electronics got wet, so the check engine light turned on.

Now, the computer won't even let the engine turn over. The battery is fully juiced, so jumper cables won't work. It is a six-speed, I'm thinking about putting it in neutral and trying to pop the clutch. But I don't think I can keep the key in the "on" position, so that might not work, either.

All this technology...

:banghead:

Trader Joe
08-24-2007, 03:25 PM
What kind of car?

ChicagoJ
08-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Pontiac G6.

I think I've got to check the plug wires, eventually.

We had tornados and torrential downpours yesterday. 4.5" of rain in the past five days.

Bball
08-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Pontiac G6.

I think I've got to check the plug wires, eventually.

We had tornados and torrential downpours yesterday. 4.5" of rain in the past five days.

What is this rain thing you speak of? Can you share it with us?

-Bball

Bball
08-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Don't forget what WD40 stands for.... "Water Displacement"

It can be your friend in these situations.... (if something didn't get ruined already by getting wet and short circuited)

-Bball

ChicagoJ
08-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Good call. I'll try that when I get home.

My grass has never been this green in August - its been one of the wettest Augusts in Chicago history.

ilive4sports
08-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Hmm try disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes, that should get rid of the check engine light and hopefully "reboot" the computer, or there are usually two fuses that you can take out that will do the same thing. Thats how it is with most Fords at least, i dont have any experience with pontiacs. Try disconnecting the battery though.

ChicagoJ
08-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Disconecting the battery did the trick. Thanks.

And let me just say, Rot in Hell to whomever thought up the "let's let the computer prevent the car from turning over even though its dry" trick. Idiot.

ChicagoJ
08-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Oh, and obviously since I'm posting from home, after 30 hours our electricity is now on again.

Crazy weather.

Brian
08-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I have an 05 pontiac g6 gt,And I have one of those on board computers.And I put in a new cd player so I had to buy a new dash kit and it turns out that you have a buy a "special" dash kit,it was $250 bucks.

I paid only 70 bucks more for the cd player itself.

Ive had several mechanics tell me that the g6's are one of the hardest cars to work on because alot of the parts have to come from GM directly.They told me it is cheaper to maintain a new GTO than it is a G6.

Oh and Jay,be ready to spend around $30-$50 for new windshield wipers.Go outside and look at the wipers,they have part on them that other wipers dont have.