PDA

View Full Version : American Gladiators to return!

Hicks
08-23-2007, 10:53 PM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117970702.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

I'll definitely check it out as I used to love watching the one from 15 years ago.

I just hope they try to recapture the feel of the old one more than trying to make it too "hip", "new" or very serious. It was them keeping it light while treating a somewhat corny setup seriously that made it work the first time. If they go all serious it won't be the same. But at the same time they can't treat it like it's stupid, either.

Shade
08-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Wow, I was just reminiscing about AG with a co-worker a couple of weeks ago.

Sweet.

Stryder
08-23-2007, 11:46 PM
ESPN 2 has been showing American Gladiators for some time now...

The Assault and the Maze were always my favorite events.

N8R
08-24-2007, 12:44 AM
I loved that show. This past weekend I caught a couple of episodes with some friends and we were saying how sweet it would be to see some new episodes or to have a local "Gladiator" stadium that "normal" people could go to for the fun of the challenge.

Thanks for the link Mal

travmil
08-24-2007, 08:00 AM
When I was in junior high one of the phys ed teachers at my school was on American Galdiators. She did good at the obstacle course stuff but got owned when it was one on one kind of stuff. It was kinda cool.

bellisimo
08-24-2007, 08:08 AM
there is a hilarious Japanese version - it doesn't involve Gladiators but regular folks going through this massive obstacle course...forgot the name right now...if i remember it - i'll youtube it

Stryder
08-24-2007, 07:29 PM
there is a hilarious Japanese version - it doesn't involve Gladiators but regular folks going through this massive obstacle course...forgot the name right now...if i remember it - i'll youtube it

MXC?

Anyone ever watch Ninja Warrior on G4? That show is pretty good.

avoidingtheclowns
08-24-2007, 07:40 PM
i can't wait until NBC starts doing crossover episodes (like ABC had Full House, Step By Step all go to Disney World) when Earl remembers busting a guy's TV during an AG marathon and to make it up to him must get him on the show... at the last minute said victim has an injury and Earl must now compete in his place. oh crossover promotional episodes, how i miss thee.

Shade
08-24-2007, 07:59 PM
MXC?

I've never seen it, but the co-worker I was talking about AG with told me about NW.

GrangerRanger
08-24-2007, 10:46 PM
I loved watching this when I was younger. I hope it isn't a major screw up though. Anything is better then KidNation Survivor.

Eindar
08-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Ninja Warrior is made of "pwn" and "win". I love that show.

An American Gladiators remake could be amazing, or could be total crap, and I don't think there's really any middle-ground. I also think it'll be really important to get good Gladiators, as that's what really sold the show last time around. You felt like you knew the Gladiators.

Gyron
08-27-2007, 12:21 PM
I only remember the name Nitro.....

N8R
08-28-2007, 12:57 AM
They deffinetly need to keep the same awesome Gladiators names. Like Nitro, Lazer and Blaze. Also they need to be HUGE guys and Gals. I hope they keep a bunch of their old games aswell. I am just soo excited for this to come to TV again.

Hicks
08-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Well the names were individually based and chosen by the performers. So odds are it will be new names. Still, they should try to keep them similar.

cramerica
08-28-2007, 06:08 PM
MXC?

MXC is awesome. Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano.

G4 is pretty good too.

bellisimo
08-28-2007, 06:51 PM
best gladiator of all time:

http://www.cinescene.com/reviews/images/gladiator1.jpg

N8R
08-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Yeah I know the names will be different but like you said they should be in the same vain of that 90's style with ridiculous names. Hopefully there is no Joe, Peter or Frank.

Hicks
08-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah I agree.

Bring on X-Stacy, Power, Titanium, Steel, Electra (or was that one of the old ones?), Diesel, etc. :D

N8R
08-29-2007, 04:06 PM
I am in full agreement with that style of names.

avoidingtheclowns
09-12-2007, 09:41 AM
NPR's Robert Smith was in LA last weekend at auditions asking contestants why they wanted to audition and what names they would choose for themselves (some of the names included "Iron Hands", "Mercury" and "Ferret")

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14290822

Los Angeles
09-13-2007, 10:34 PM
NPR's Robert Smith was in LA last weekend at auditions asking contestants why they wanted to audition and what names they would choose for themselves (some of the names included "Iron Hands", "Mercury" and "Ferret")

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14290822

Gaaahh!

The tryouts were three days ago and two blocks away from my house. And I didn't even know about it! Curse my ignorance for not reading this thread before today. (I wasn't going to try out, but it sure would have been fun to watch.

http://www.anaitgames.com/wp-content/darth_vader_nooo1.jpeg
[Tip of the hat to Mal.]

Los Angeles
09-13-2007, 10:37 PM
GREATEST_GLADIATOR_EVAR:

VGDwScgb_Y0

Gyron
09-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Wow, Dude, MOST Excellent!

dohman
09-18-2007, 02:21 AM
GREATEST_GLADIATOR_EVAR:

VGDwScgb_Y0

wow it is TV like that I truely miss. I havent laughed like that in a while.:dance:

Hicks
09-18-2007, 09:32 AM
That guy makes the others look like Mensa members. I don't even remember him.

N8R
12-30-2007, 02:28 AM
January 6th. Who's Watching?

SycamoreKen
12-31-2007, 07:24 PM
I saw this previewed at the movies the other day. Ali and Hulk hogan are the hosts. The gladiators all have the same type of names and look buff as well. Some of the competitions looks the same such as Joust, but there are others that are new. I didn't see the tennis ball cannon one though.

N8R
01-01-2008, 04:48 AM
I am so excited for this show to return that it isn't even funny.

Gyron
01-01-2008, 11:44 PM
The cannon is there. However, there's water involved now.

Stryder
01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.nbc.com/American_Gladiators/arena/index.shtml

There ya go.

They also list the gladiators on the site with height/weight...some of those guys are huge.

James Bond
01-03-2008, 01:43 AM
MXC?

I AM ADDICTED TO THAT SHOW.

but seriously. it rocks. I can't wait for Sasuke 20 on Mt. Mydoriama.

N8R
01-07-2008, 12:58 AM
American Gladiators

New Series Premiere. It was alright they need less Hulk Hogan and Ali and less talking to the contestants. It is a waste of time when they could just compete more. I liked the format of the old AG and this one needs to be retooled in order to survive. Hulk Hogan looked like a bum wearing black jeans and a black sleeveless shirt and he added nothing to the show. He said brother every other word and his questions were obvious and the answers were terrible. Focus on the competition and not on the contestants tired stories and lame responses.

naptownmenace
01-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I watched and it was very very similar to the original show. Several of the old competitions were there like the "Guantlet", "Assault", and "Pyramid".

The Gladiators look like Pro Wrestlers and they all have gimmicky names like Malitia, The Wolf, Justice, and you have to check out Helga! She's this big nordic looking chick in blonde pig tails. Man is she hefty. :laugh:

There were 3 injuries on the premiere episode that wasn't a surprise considering how physical the Gladiators and competitions were.

On the first competition, the one where you have to drop the balls into the baskets before getting tackled (AKA crumpled) by the Gladiators, one of the lady contestants gets her leg broken by one of the She-Hulk Gladiators.

On the next competition with the guys the Gladiator - Malitia hurts his arm on "Hanging Tough" and couldn't finish.

During the second half of the show, a woman contestant who was a US Marine split her head open on a bar during the final obstacle course race. The amazing thing is this happened right at the begining of the course while she was swimming under water and she still finished the course. She didn't win but considering she had blood running down her head, I was amazed she could even finish the race.

All-in-All, I thought it was a great show. They kept the mood light and even had a lot of trash talk and comraderie between the Gladiators and contestants.

Stryder
01-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Toa is Duane Johnson's (The Rock) cousin and personal stunt man...

Since86
01-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Venom is a BSU graduate, who was a scholarship gymnast.

Hicks
01-09-2008, 05:40 PM
:laugh: No kidding?

Arcadian
01-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Andy is the intern at my church. I have never met him but know some of his friends pulling for him. It was still hard sitting through the Hulkster and posturing with some connection to the show.

Gyron
01-15-2008, 09:52 AM
The tennessee boy sunday night was hilarious with his comments.

Skaut_Ech
01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I always hated AG. it's so stacked in the Gladiator's favor, I could never get behind it. About the only reason I even peeked at this new version is because of Gina "Crush" Carano.

http://www.maximonline.com/todays_girl/girls/gina_carano/gfd_l2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClK8W0XSunk

Stryder
01-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Anyone watch the other night? Belinda the bull rider...she has actually starred in some Skinemax movies as Kylie Wyote...hahaha

Major Cold
01-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I haven't read anyone's comments in this thread yet. My question is.

Do you think the contenders are actors?

naptownmenace
01-17-2008, 05:28 PM
I haven't read anyone's comments in this thread yet. My question is.

Do you think the contenders are actors?

No, but I think they do coach them as to what to say. Some of the smack talk seems a little scripted but it could just be that they purposely pick people that are articulate and comfortable in front of the camera.