PDA

View Full Version : derrick byars and other unwanted players

gph
08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Draft Express had a long article talking about 2nd round draft picks and how tenous their situation is. looks like if the pacers really wanted most of these guys, they could make a move. For those of you really upset that Bird didn't get byars or one of the other guys, the clearance sale is beginning.

Specific to byars:

-#42 pick Derrick Byars (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=1009) went from being projected as a top 10 pick by one NBA draft site just a few months ago, to being a maybe to even make Philadelphia’s roster now. He too already reportedly fired his first agent, Robert Fayne, and instead picked up Bill Duffy to represent him. Philadelphia already has 12 guaranteed contracts on their roster and an additional four players that they need to make a decision on.

Full article:

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2212

Pacemaker
08-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Let's go get him!!! :devil:

Anthem
08-20-2007, 09:55 PM
I'd trade Stanko for him.

But seriously, why would we want another SF?

CableKC
08-20-2007, 10:32 PM
According NBADraft.net and DX.....he's listed as a SG/SF.

I wouldn't mind giving him a try. Although he wouldn't be classified as a shooter....apparently he has 3pt range....and he appears to play solid defense.

LG33
08-20-2007, 11:24 PM
I'd trade Stanko for him.

But seriously, why would we want another SF?

We all knew that first statement wasn't serious - who would even consider trading Tau Ceramica's new backup backup center?! All I'm saying is that you really don't need the modifier there.

Swingman
08-20-2007, 11:46 PM
if we could get byars on the cheap then I'd love to add him to the team. It's not like we're overflowing with talent.

rexnom
08-20-2007, 11:57 PM
if we could get byars on the cheap then I'd love to add him to the team. It's not like we're overflowing with talent.
Yeah...it's like when you sign free agents for the minimum on nba live just so you can package them together and get guys that are slightly better and at positions you actually need to upgrade...or so I've heard...

Swingman
08-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Yeah...it's like when you sign free agents for the minimum on nba live just so you can package them together and get guys that are slightly better and at positions you actually need to upgrade...or so I've heard...

I wasn't thinking in order to trade him. If we get him for a good price, then it would be worth at least trying him out. He has talent and he can play defense. Something I think this team needs.

Pacerized
08-21-2007, 12:00 AM
He sounds a good player for some team to pick up and send to the D league. I like his 3 pt. %, but it sounds like he may lack the ball handleing skills for the NBA.

wintermute
08-21-2007, 01:16 AM
it's a good article.

the key takeaway is that the league seems to be overflowing with guys who have 2nd round talent. that's good news for teams that need depth, but not so much for those teams who are in need of quality (e.g. pacers)

btw, this also validates the stanko pick to some extent. stanko may or may not be a good player down the road, but picking an overseas guy in the 2nd round and stashing him away was absolutely the right thing to do. picking up a "ready" guy like byars wouldn't have helped much given that we picked up the likes of stephen graham and andre owens pretty quickly. and if we really like byars then we can still cut owens (partial guarantee) and likely will be able to pick up byars if he gets cut from philly - or taurean green, or sessions, or mejia.

DisplacedKnick
08-21-2007, 07:44 AM
I like Byars but the player mentioned in that article you need to look at is Chris Richard. Had to be the best backup in the NCAA last year - at least in the frontcourt. The man is a horse and you definitely could use some muscle up front.

I dunno what we're going to do with Nichols. He showed quite a bit in SL (15 ppg/39% from 3.) He's a player I'd love to see spend a year in Europe until we can shed some contracts but it doesn't sound like that's an option.

Kegboy
08-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I agree with Rim, Richard would be a nice get. I'd like Green or Nichols, but we've already gone out and signed our 3rd string guards, and I'm not talking about Graham and Owens.

LG33
08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I agree with Rim, Richard would be a nice get. I'd like Green or Nichols, but we've already gone out and signed our 3rd string guards, and I'm not talking about Graham and Owens.

"LoneGranger Preparing to Unleash Frustration"

Anthem
08-21-2007, 12:14 PM
We all knew that first statement wasn't serious - who would even consider trading Tau Ceramica's new backup backup center?! All I'm saying is that you really don't need the modifier there.
[Argument], wait for it, [rhetorical flourish].

gph
08-21-2007, 04:13 PM
don't get me wrong, i actually liked byars. i was living in nashville when he started heating up, and i have to say, seeing was believing. but...that said, 2nd round talent isn't a make or break for the pacers, front office vision is. to me-we still have two legit starters and 3 starters that are really back-ups. and we are thick with 3rd stringers. that ain't good. i would always take talent and a thin bench in a trade off-you can always find a fading vet or a 2nd round makes good style gamble.

bulldog
08-21-2007, 04:58 PM
btw, this also validates the stanko pick to some extent. stanko may or may not be a good player down the road, but picking an overseas guy in the 2nd round and stashing him away was absolutely the right thing to do. picking up a "ready" guy like byars wouldn't have helped much given that we picked up the likes of stephen graham and andre owens pretty quickly.

Good point. It's another reason why GMs always pick big when in doubt, because solid swingman talent is so readily available.

eldubious
08-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Byars and Nichols or Grahm and Owens, what do they have to lose, there's more potential in the rookies than it is in the journeymen.