PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Player injured at Orange County Party Shooting

Tom White
08-20-2007, 11:30 AM
http://www.wesh.com/news/13929862/detail.html

BREAKING NEWS: NBA Player Injured In Shooting At Party

POSTED: 10:32 am EDT August 20, 2007
UPDATED: 11:11 am EDT August 20, 2007

A professional basketball player was injured in a shooting in Orange County early Monday morning, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

The shooting happened at the home of DeShawn Stevenson, a guard with the Washington Wizards, officials said.

The unidentified NBA player suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and was transported to a local hospital for treatment, authorities said.

The identity of the shooting suspect was not immediately released, and it's not known if the gunman is in custody.

Stevenson's home is located in a gated community in west Orange County. Investigators said a party was going on at the time of the shooting, and several NBA players were in attendance.

Stay with WESH 2 News and WESH.com for further details.

http://www.wesh.com/news/13929862/detail.html

Kegboy
08-20-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm sure ESPN is just waiting to try and come up with some way to link the unidentified player to the Pacers before they run with it.

NapTonius Monk
08-20-2007, 11:40 AM
:pray: Please don't be from INDY! Please Don't be from INDY! :pray:

Dr. Goldfoot
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Curtis Ruff is the guy who got shot. I've never heard of him. They've edited the story you linked.

LG33
08-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm sure ESPN is just waiting to try and come up with some way to link the unidentified player to the Pacers before they run with it.

No, that would be stupid and unfair. But they will link the gunman to the Pacers for sure. :)

:pray: Please don't be from INDY! Please Don't be from INDY! :pray:

It's going to be someone from Orlando or Washington methinks.

ChicagoJ
08-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Its probably the same people that Ron Artest got into that fight with during AllStar weekend.

Naptown_Seth
08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Its probably the same people that Ron Artest got into that fight with during AllStar weekend.
Someone notify OJ, I believe he's been looking for those guys too.

LG33
08-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Someone notify OJ, I believe he's been looking for those guys too.

Hahahaha...I knew he was innocent.
Alert the Ramseys too!

indyblue47
08-20-2007, 12:32 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47686/20070820/man_shot_at_stevensons_house/

Man Shot At Stevenson's House
August 20, 2007 - 12:20 pm
Local6.com -
A man was shot in the leg early Monday morning at the Windermere home of former Orlando Magic player DeShawn Stevenson, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

The shooting happened at 1348 Lake Whitney Drive, which is located in the Reserve at Belmere gated community, at about 4 a.m.

Curtis Ruff, 31, drove himself to Health Central Hospital in Winter Garden seeking treatment for gunshot wounds to his legs at about 4:30 a.m., but would not cooperate with deputies, according to officials.

Stevenson was reportedly hosting a party when the shooting took place, and several NBA players were in attendance. [READ]

Bball
08-20-2007, 12:33 PM

UPDATED: 12:11 am EDT August 20, 2007

A professional basketball player was injured in a shooting in Orange County early Monday morning, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

The shooting happened at the home of DeShawn Stevenson, a guard with the Washington Wizards, officials said. Pacer players have been known to congregate at this home.

The unidentified NBA player suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and was transported to a local hospital for treatment, authorities said. It is unclear whether this player has ties to the Indiana Pacers. Authorities in Indianapolis have been unavailable for comment.

The identity of the shooting suspect was not immediately released, and it's not known if the gunman is in custody. Stephen Jackson, formerly of the Indiana Pacers, was reportedly not in the area at the time. Jamaal Tinsley's whereabouts are unknown.

Stevenson's home is located in a gated community in west Orange County. Investigators said a party was going on at the time of the shooting, and several NBA players were in attendance.

Trader Joe
08-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Curtis Ruff is a NBA player?

avoidingtheclowns
08-20-2007, 12:38 PM
"Reports indicate the shooters to be Lyle & Erik Menendez, best known for killing their parents and the following conviction in 1996 as well as their rabid enthusiasm for the Indiana Pacers..."

[/sarcasm]

Naptown_Seth
08-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Hahahaha...I knew he was innocent.
Alert the Ramseys too!
Jesus, this is going to blow things wide open, ripples will be felt from here to Vick's dog compound. Those were TURTLE cages, someone secretly put dogs in those cages, the dirty ba*****s...probably Donaghy thought of it as a way to bet short on the Falcons (ie, bet that they would lose).

It all makes sense.

:mib:

PS - who's up for some awesome turtle fighting at my house this weekend (no Entourage jokes please, this is serious shell on shell action I'm talking about)

Bball
08-20-2007, 02:48 PM
PS - who's up for some awesome turtle fighting at my house this weekend (no Entourage jokes please, this is serious shell on shell action I'm talking about)

Good luck. Give the other guy shell!

-Bball

NuffSaid
08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
No, that would be stupid and unfair. But they will link the gunman to the Pacers for sure. :)
As much as I want to wave the "tsk, tsk" finger at 'cha, I couldn't help but laugh. It's one of those shamefully funny jabs (re: SJax...Club Rio) you just can't help but laught at it. :p

pwee31
08-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Jesus, this is going to blow things wide open, ripples will be felt from here to Vick's dog compound. Those were TURTLE cages, someone secretly put dogs in those cages, the dirty ba*****s...probably Donaghy thought of it as a way to bet short on the Falcons (ie, bet that they would lose).

It all makes sense.

:mib:

I'm in as long as you don't test for ooze! :-p

Gyron
08-20-2007, 03:03 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39408000/jpg/_39408914_tortoise_mating300.jpg

BoomBaby33
08-20-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm putting some serious bucks down on these guys ...

Anthem
08-20-2007, 03:43 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39408000/jpg/_39408914_tortoise_mating300.jpg
Umm... I don't think that's fighting.

That's his O-face. Look at the grin.

LG33
08-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Someone gets shot at DeShawn's house and now we're talking about turtle sex? Nice!

BlueNGold
08-20-2007, 08:47 PM
It really seems like the NBA has an incredible amount of negative energy right now. The referee scandal, the Chicago Bull robberies/burglaries, the seemingly unending stream of shootings and bar fights. Goodness gracious, it's not even been a year since Club Rio...even more recent the 8 second saloon.

Maybe we need these guys to play year round.

But David Stern has to feel blessed. His league (you know that's what he thinks) would get so much more press if not for Michael "Dog killer" Vick and Barry "Steroid" Bonds.

Professional sports are just a freakin' mess.

SparkyPacer
08-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Yea I wish we could go back to the day of classy players like Ty Cobbs.

BlueNGold
08-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Yea I wish we could go back to the day of classy players like Ty Cobbs.

Do you mean Ty Cobb? Yes, he was an a$$. He would fit in quite well with some of these losers. The difference today is, there are so many more of them.

SparkyPacer
08-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Sorry if it came off as some kind of attack. Just stating there's always been morons in sports. Sorry again.

Eindar
08-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Sorry if it came off as some kind of attack. Just stating there's always been morons in sports. Sorry again.

This is true. And I'm not sure there were less back in the day, more likely there just wasn't enough coverage, or in other cases, the press covered things up (maybe Monteith is just old school).

BlueNGold
08-20-2007, 09:52 PM

I did not take it as an attack.

I concur that there have been many things in the past, including Pete Rose, that have been bad for pro sports. ...and I can't tell you about the black sox and I don't know much about the early 1900's when the Georgia Peach (ie. Tyrus Cobb) sharpened his spikes to intentionally hurt other players....but I can tell you about the last 25-30 years of baseball and basketball...pretty clearly.

Yes, Portland had a reputation prior to Indiana. There was Mad Max and the Spreewell incident. But the truth is, the total incidents have increased in number. Almost every offseason now, there's a string of reports. Big news in the professional sports used to be when Dennis Rodman head butted an official. Now, it's shootings at strip clubs and players fighting in the stands....or having a gallows to hang dogs in their back yard...then drowning the suffering dogs that survive it.

I truly believe it's worse right now than at least the prior 30 years.

ABADays
08-20-2007, 10:06 PM

UPDATED: 12:11 am EDT August 20, 2007

The shooting happened at the home of DeShawn Stevenson, a guard with the Washington Wizards, officials said. Pacer players have been known to congregate at this home.

The unidentified NBA player suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and was transported to a local hospital for treatment, authorities said. It is unclear whether this player has ties to the Indiana Pacers. Authorities in Indianapolis have been unavailable for comment.

The identity of the shooting suspect was not immediately released, and it's not known if the gunman is in custody. Stephen Jackson, formerly of the Indiana Pacers, was reportedly not in the area at the time. Jamaal Tinsley's whereabouts are unknown.

Somehow I have a feeling you doctored this story ;)

Oneal07
08-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I thought we got the Thugs off the team? lol

JayRedd
08-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Ty Cobb killed a guy. (Not sure if there were horses, a man on fire or a trident involved.)

And Teddy Ballgame was always known to pretty honery himself.

NapTonius Monk
08-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Dude, are these turtles making out?

Gyron
08-21-2007, 12:45 PM
That is his o-face isn't it?

Naptown_Seth
08-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Umm... I don't think that's fighting.

That's his O-face. Look at the grin.
In turtle fighting this is considered a strategy. I believe it's called the Greek Manuever, but I don't train my snappers to fight that way, it's just cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgXnW7B56aA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZYq8mxO_1A

Naptown_Seth
08-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Ty Cobb once jumped into the stands to beat a fan to a pulp. That fan was handicapped, if I recall correctly he was missing one hand and half of the other due to a work accident and unable to really defend himself.

But yeah, it's a lot worse now.

Gyron
08-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm pretty sure the greek strategy is what happens when one turtle whens and the other gets "screwed" for prize money.

Since86
08-21-2007, 01:51 PM
It is worse now, but it's a reflection of our society not of the professional leagues.

We live in a very very violent time. Murder rates have skyrocketed since the days of Ty Cobb. "Oh but what about those bankrobbers like Bonnie and Clyde? They killed people." Of course you're always going to find knuckleheads in every time period. I mean, Julius Caesar was murdered too.

The more violent our society comes, the more violent our sports worlds become as well.

Anthem
08-21-2007, 02:03 PM
It is worse now, but it's a reflection of our society not of the professional leagues.

We live in a very very violent time. Murder rates have skyrocketed since the days of Ty Cobb. "Oh but what about those bankrobbers like Bonnie and Clyde? They killed people." Of course you're always going to find knuckleheads in every time period. I mean, Julius Caesar was murdered too.

The more violent our society comes, the more violent our sports worlds become as well.
I don't think that's true. Last I knew, the violence rates were down over the past quarter century.

No, we live in a highly accessible time. Everything anybody does is on the news. Bird talked about a teammate (McHale?) beating the crap out of a fan, but it never made it onto Sportcenter because there was no such thing.

The issue is the amount of press that violence gets, not violence itself.

JayRedd
08-21-2007, 03:12 PM
We live in a highly accessible time. Everything anybody does is on the news. Bird talked about a teammate (McHale?) beating the crap out of a fan, but it never made it onto Sportcenter because there was no such thing.

I won't comment on societal violence trends without doing some research first (although it logically makes sense that it would be pretty much uniform through the years as a percentage of population with swings each way from time to time), but I agree that the coverage for athlete delinquency is now at an all time high. Relatively common criminal incidents in society at large are now top national headlines for ESPN.com and others when athletes commit them, whereas two decades ago it took the Chuckster tossing a dude through a plate glass window or Bobby Knight choking a kid to even appear on national coverage.

Now...you hear everything. I mean, why in God's name do I know that an assitant coach for the Detroit Lions got arrested for driving around naked while drunk? There's no real reason except for an overload of coverage.

It's not like Michael Vick invented dog fighting. I mean, Qyntel Woods was doing similar (although admittedly not as higly organized or with as many detailed accounts) crap like two years ago and no one cared. Or imagine if Patrick Ewing's hooker-gate happened to Kevin Garnet today? I had to listen to the Lake Minnetonka Love Boat crap for like 3 months last year and that mainly involved a non-entity like Fred Smoot. Or what if a 5-time batting champ like Wade Boggs was caught beating his wife? If that happened with Ichiro today, it would lead Sportscenter for a week. Could you imagine Kevin Durant OD'ing on blow like Len Bias? Would be an absolute media circus.

IMO, it's the cultural awareness and fascination associated with all this nonsense and the 24-hours news cycle of constant info-tainment, moreso than any huge spike in the delinquent behavior of professional athletes.

Naptown_Seth
08-21-2007, 03:23 PM
I don't think that's true. Last I knew, the violence rates were down over the past quarter century.

No, we live in a highly accessible time. Everything anybody does is on the news. Bird talked about a teammate (McHale?) beating the crap out of a fan, but it never made it onto Sportcenter because there was no such thing.

QFT.

People always want to think that their time is different, but the more you learn about it (or experience as you get older and see multiple eras) the more you realize its the same old thing.

I mean I think black history in America might have something to say about violence accepted by mainstream society. Female abuse in all forms didn't suddenly appear in the last 3 decades, it just finally got some attention thanks to women's rights movements.

Same game, new name, violence is inherent in social behavior.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
There are rates per 100,000 after the gross totals at the top. Murder is way down in the last 10 years after running much higher from 72 to around 95.

Overall violent crime went under 500 in 2002 (and has stayed there) for the first time since 78. It was running over 750 in the early 90's.

avoidingtheclowns
08-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Or what if a 5-time batting champ like Wade Boggs was caught beating his wife? If that happened with Ichiro today, it would lead Sportscenter for a week.

that would be news, as far as we're aware ichiro has never hit for power...