PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Bender on Retirement

FlavaDave
08-17-2007, 11:24 AM
There was a silly article on Page 2 where a reporter called retired NBA players and asked them about the possibility of a comeback. He called up Bender.

JONATHAN BENDER (Pacers 1999-2005)
Initial Reaction: "(Sigh) Man, I haven't thought about that yet."
Demands: A warm weather city (easier for rehabbing his knees)
Interest Level: LowBender: Right now, I'm just thinking about rehabbing. Maybe in a few years I'd consider it.
Reporter/GM: But you're 25 years old and retired. I can throw a lot of money at you.
Bender: A lot of guys come back because they're having money issues. I'm a young guy, but I have real estate projects, I'm helping to rebuild New Orleans, but I'm also having the type of fun you have when you're 25 and retired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=alipour/070816&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

Interesting. I always figured that he would consider a comeback eventually, but it is interesting to hear him say that he wants to go to a warm-weather city.

Speed
08-17-2007, 11:42 AM
GRRRRR

TMJ31
08-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Lol-- Craig Hodges was pretty brutal on Reggie there.

Funny article

avoidingtheclowns
08-17-2007, 11:44 AM
our boy alipour...

i did enjoy hodges

CRAIG HODGES (Clippers 1982-84, Bucks '84-88, Bulls '89-92)

Not only has Craig Hodges won the 3-point contest, but he's got two championship rings. Hear that, Reggie?

Interest Level: High

Hodges: I'd consider it in a heartbeat. From '92 until now, nobody shoots the ball better than I did. I still shoot my 150 3s a day. There are a lot of teams I can still help.

Reporter/GM: I like you Craig, but why should I take you over Reggie Miller or Allan Houston?

Hodges: No diss on Reggie or Penny, but my question (to them) is, do you know how to win an NBA championship? At the end of the season, who will be standing? I challenge these cats who are coming back to check my stats in terms of winning. Whether it's 3-point contests or championships, I know how to win. Reggie, on the real, last time I saw you hoopin' on the NBA level, you got your motherf----- shot blocked on a breakaway layup that you (didn't) dunk. Last time you saw Craig Hodges, I won a championship. Reggie can come back and be successful, but will he win? What's going on down the stretch, brother? We can all come back because we can see how watered-down (the league) is. It's so sickening to watch this s---.

Reporter/GM: Will it be a problem for you if we don't run the triangle?

Hodges: I'm going to tell you something: When MJ came back, how ugly did his game look outside the triangle? Outside the triangle, Scottie looked ugly. B.J. Armstrong? Ugly. The only one who didn't look ugly? Steve Kerr. Why? He's a shooter. I can knock down Js. Forget the system.

Since86
08-17-2007, 11:46 AM
That will be Damon Jones in 10years.

Some of those guys need knocked off their damn pedestal.

circlecitysportsfan
08-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Craig Hodges knows how to win or knows how to pass the ball to Mike. What a dick.

flying dutchman
08-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Craig Hodges knows how to win or knows how to pass the ball to Mike. What a dick.

But a dick with two rings!! We call them cockrings!!

Naptown_Seth
08-17-2007, 01:48 PM
But a dick with two rings!! We call them cockrings!!
You can see why Reggie wants one so bad to validate his otherwise worthless and lame career. Those rings made Hodges a household name and and NBA hero.

Or am I thinking of someone else? ;)

Bender - is any part of his real estate biz where he does entire rooms in purple? I hope not because if that's the case he might HAVE to come out of retirement for the money after all.

BobbyMac
08-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Bender will never play in the NBA again.

Doug
08-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Never mind. This place is been negative enough lately without me dumping on Jon in a lame attempt to be funny.

On the positive side, I'm happy he appears to have managed his money well enough.

Slick Pinkham
08-17-2007, 02:10 PM
LOL at Hodges.

He barely helped his team in his PRIME, despite his excellent shooting. He couldn't dribble, pass, defend, or anything else other than make a stand-still jumper. Even then his release was not quick enough to be as effective in games as it was in the all-star 3-point contest. Didn't he come back to defend his title the next year, despite being OUT OF THE LEAGUE due to lack of any other skill?

what a dolt.

NuffSaid
08-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Bender - is any part of his real estate biz where he does entire rooms in purple?
If is demand wasn't to play in warm weather city I'd recommend he play in Minnesnowta. Then he could do a purple room for His Purple Majesty himself. :D I wish 5.1.1 well, though. He seems to be happy doing what he's doing in real estate, but I don't think he'll ever see an comeback in the NBA.

Craig Hodges' comments were funny, yet very interesting. I think of all the players "interviewed", he's the only one who I honestly believe could come back and be very effective w/his long range shoot.

On a different subject, what do you guys think about the Worm's comments? Do you think he gets no respect for being one of the league's leading rebounder and defenders during his tenure? And for which team will he be most remembered: Pistons, Bulls or Spurs?

avoidingtheclowns
08-17-2007, 03:35 PM
i think the bulls. mainly because during his time with the bulls he was much more of a sideshow act and got a lot of the media attention he'll be remembered for (both for on-court and off-court antics). the few (two?) years with the spurs are basically forgetable and he wasn't the cartoon character he eventually became while with the pistons so i don't think his legacy (if you will) will be as tied to the pistons run as much as lambeer, dumars or thomas.

Naptown_Seth
08-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I think ATC is right about Rodman, which is a shame considering how good he was with the Pistons. He was farther down the list on the Bad Boys and simply not a factor off the court (which I preferred). I think Microwave and Mahorn are even more remembered from that era of Pistons.

Pacersfan46
08-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Wow, if Craig Hodges really said that stuff, he's a damn moron.

MJ out of the triangle looked bad because he was what? 45 years old? Scottie was falling apart physically when he left Chicago, and I guess 'looking horrible' as Pippen did (according to Craig) in Houston .... is pretty bad when you realize it's better than any season Craig ever had in his career. ;)

I really hope he was joking, wow.

-- Steve --

GrangerRanger
08-17-2007, 06:29 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=I_qnQ3uB1cY

NapTonius Monk
08-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Lol-- Craig Hodges was pretty brutal on Reggie there.

Funny article

That's interesting. Can anybody tell me what Hodges did without Jordan around to feed off of? He was a good 3-point shooter, but to suggest that he knows more about winning than Reggie is just the talk of a gravy trainer. The quote about Michael's game looking ugly outside of the triangle makes him an even bigger joke than he is. Hodges was nothing more than a "give Mike a breather" role player who would come in and hit a couple of threes, but rarely did he find the floor during any meaningful time. I'd take Reggie Miller any day of the week over him. It's so funny to hear these guys in the post Jordan years. He had nothing meaningful to do with those championships. Heck, the Bulls even made Bill Wennington look useful. Hodges is a joke; a one trick pony, as marked by his lone achievement (3-point shootout champ)! Big freaking deal! I mean, did he really actually refer to that? That is too funny! I bet all of his championship rings were shipped to Chicago labelled: Craig Hodges..c/o Michael Jordan. I agree that this will be Damon Jones in a few years. It's the seat that was earlier vacated by Dennis Scott.

NapTonius Monk
08-17-2007, 07:18 PM
That will be Damon Jones in 10years.

Some of those guys need knocked off their damn pedestal.

http://www.gameshowkult.de/orf1.jpg

eldubious
08-19-2007, 02:34 PM
I really feel sorry for Hodges, he really thinks he was the man reason the Bulls won championships and that his statue should be outside of the United Center.

Hoop
08-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Craig Hodges:loser: What a complete full of himself jerkoff.

If I remember correctly after he won the 3 pt contest nobody even wanted him the next season. They let him in the the 3pt contest and he wasn't even on a team, which I thought they never should have done.

GrangerRanger
08-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Craig Hodges:loser: What a complete full of himself jerkoff.

If I remember correctly after he won the 3 pt contest nobody even wanted him the next season. They let him the the 3pt contest and he wasn't even on a team, which I thought they never should have done.

Yeah, I think he wore a random jersey with no team name or sign on it.