PDA

View Full Version : Do YOU play?

GrangerRanger
08-16-2007, 04:22 PM
I think this can be kinda of a interesting thread. The main question is if you actually played basketball when younger, or still play recreationally. You don't have to tell us your stats if you don't want to, but positions would be nice and a small evaluation of your overall skill. Personally, I was more of a hustle type player in terms of steals, rebonds, and blocks. I had a good year once were I averaged around 9 to 12 points a game but other then that I was mostly a tower on defense down low. My highest game blocks was almost 10 blocks and rebonds was only 16, but it was 6 minute quarters when I was around 14..

Evan_The_Dude
08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I played 2 26 game seasons in a Church league if that counts. I shot 58% from three and averaged 13 points and 6 assists as our starting 2-guard. But that was when I was 16 & 17. As of now, I think I'm a much better shooter all around than I was back then, but one of my knee's has been giving me problems as of late, so I'm resisting the temptation of playing in a league for now.

LG33
08-16-2007, 04:54 PM
I play every other day at the school (Boston College) gym. My intramural team fell to 4 and 4, losing the first game of the playoffs. My friends aren't really that good, and none of us are that tall. In contrast, the team that beat us had a 6"7' monster (perhaps a football player?) that took us to school. Still, we made it respectable, kind of. My skill is as a passer first and an outside defender second - unfortunately, due to the skill set of my teammates, I have to be an inside presence, which I am not. I was never a shooter, but I'm good for a 3-pointer (counts as 2 points) or two a game (we play to 16 or 21 usually). I don't think I've ever taken more than 7 shots in a game.

Since86
08-16-2007, 04:59 PM
I play quite frequently. Played in 5 leagues around this area in the past 2 years, winning 3 of them. Last league I was the scoring champ at just under 30 a game, 29.4 or something like that. I averaged 16 and 7 my senior year in HS, won 2 sectionals and a county tourney for varsity.

I'm a very athletic 6'1 195lb guard. I love to push the ball up the court and get open outside looks in transition. Not the greatest ball handler, but efficient enough to drive most of the time. I like to play phsyical on both sides of the ball. I'm always talking too.

JayRedd
08-16-2007, 05:06 PM
My intramural team fell to 4 and 4, losing the first game of the playoffs. My friends aren't really that good, and none of us are that tall.

Sounds like they need a better leader. ;)

I've always played and still do. Pretty much modeled my game around Reggie at an early age and was usually my team's designated shooter throughout high school. Would usually hit at least 3 treys a game with a high of (I think) eight. Put up like 15 a night and was always a good rebounding guard. Went to a D-III school to play in Mass (actually right down the road from you, LG...you know Lasell?) but quit cause the coach was a douche, the scrimmages were a trainwreck, and the running and weightlifting really conflicted with my drinking. Now I play in a city league once a week. Weight gain and not shooting everyday have made me more of Battier/Walton-type SF, but I can still make it rain now and again. Ball-handling is probably at an all time low of late though. Got a playoff game next week actually

LG33
08-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Sounds like they need a better leader. ;)

Well, yeah, I became a full-time coach for the last three games. So maybe you're right. I'd like a chance to school your *** though.

JayRedd
08-16-2007, 05:31 PM
I'd like a chance to school your *** though.

It would probably look something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cyfI7gF0a8

ajbry
08-16-2007, 05:41 PM
I quit organized basketball at a relatively early age, for one reason: I can't stand coaches. Something just makes me get really irritated about them and I tune them out quickly. Plus, I love to thrive on a bad team. I don't like for my teammates to be much better than I am.

My game right now is so unrefined it's almost sad. Through the years, my fundamentals have vanished and I'm a lazy chucker for the most part. My handles are good and my passing is sporadic. At times I can be a walking turnover. I normally don't enjoy rebounding but I'll occasionally use my hops and grab one from someone bigger. My shooting couldn't be any more streaky. I'll fire in a few shots and then airball the next. Then it'll all go downhill.

I play all the time though - there ain't anything better than just shooting around.

Shade
08-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I quit organized basketball at a relatively early age, for one reason: I can't stand coaches. Something just makes me get really irritated about them and I tune them out quickly. Plus, I love to thrive on a bad team. I don't like for my teammates to be much better than I am.

My game right now is so unrefined it's almost sad. Through the years, my fundamentals have vanished and I'm a lazy chucker for the most part. My handles are good and my passing is sporadic. At times I can be a walking turnover. I normally don't enjoy rebounding but I'll occasionally use my hops and grab one from someone bigger. My shooting couldn't be any more streaky. I'll fire in a few shots and then airball the next. Then it'll all go downhill.

I play all the time though - there ain't anything better than just shooting around.

I knew it! You are Stephen Jackson! ;)

LG33
08-16-2007, 06:38 PM
It would probably look something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cyfI7gF0a8

Only if I get to be McGrady.

Zing! :laugh: Nice one.

Evan_The_Dude
08-16-2007, 06:56 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: He walked all into that one

ajbry
08-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Well played Shade. I was hoping someone would catch that.

Although I was still being 100% honest.

bellisimo
08-16-2007, 07:50 PM
organized b-ball? never
as far as pick up games go...have not played one since 2002... :(
but i am hoping to change that this sunday! :)

indyman37
08-16-2007, 11:32 PM
I've played organized basketball for about 7 years now. I play for the town of Holly Springs and we go around and play surrounding cities. I had my best season about three years ago statistics wise. I averaged about 17/8/4. I'm a tall and lanky kid which plays to my advantage I guess. People tend to underrate me a lot. But my favortie part are the blocks. If I had to choose between blocks or points, I'd have to go with the blocks. I didn't try out this year for school because of driver's ed, so I got to listen to a bunch of other kids question me about it.

Ron who?
08-17-2007, 01:01 AM
when i was younger i used to play center but last two years i've played SF/PF

my stats now are that of more of a hustle player than a born stud... like 4 pts 10 rebs 3 steals 3 blks

i might not put up good offensive stats but i play above average D :)

317Kim
08-17-2007, 06:00 AM
I never played in middle school because I was an asthmatic, but missed tryouts my freshman and sophomore year. I do play at the YMCA and do a lot of pick up games at the park. Next summer, I hope to join an AAU team at Sports of All Sorts.

I can play 2 or 3 depending on matchups. Usually, I'm a 2 guard because I'm only 5'1.

On a good day,
12 points
3 rebounds
2 steals
2 assists
1 block

Strengiths: Ball handling skills, leadership, hustle, good court vision, ability to be clutch, and plays with heart

Weaknesses: Lacks height, inconsistent jump shot as of late (cold when cold, fire when hot), and needs to work on a quicker release

GrangerRanger
08-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Did you go to the same school as Greg Oden..?

Doug
08-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Some responses on the topic in http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=5940

Still play, although it is been hard to get up in the morning lately. Played twice this week.

Reggierock
08-18-2007, 03:52 AM
I stoped playing organized ball after a really bad skating injury kept me layed up for about 18 months. I used to play PG but due to lack of size (5'7) I was more of a pass-first, hustle kind of player. I do have a sweet turn around jumper from the left wing though, never misses.

I now play about three to four pick up games a week at a local place called the brickpit. It's about the only place in North West Sydney where you can get a game.

On a good day I'll put away maybe 12-17 pts (mostly from mid-range area), 5-10 steals and a handful of blocks/rebounds.

MagicRat
08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
[X] 1987 Gus Macker Toilet Bowl Champion

8.9_seconds
08-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Mostly a PF, but I'm also a utility player. I don't care where I play as long as I do. I'm the Smallest post on my team at 5'8, and a pretty short guard too, which can be depressing.

I'm not really an offensive wizard, and by really, I mean not at all. I'm just kind of a defensive hustle player. I've been called a team player to detriment, meaning I pass more when I should shoot, but I prefer selective shot taking. When I'm hot I can score alot, but when I'm not, well I don't. I'm basically an Austin Croshere, probably why he was always one of my favorites.

Strengths: Man strength in a little girl body. Not a little girl maybe, but just a regular girl. It's fun to go to the Y and add weight to all of the machines after the huge muscle men get off of them.

Weaknesses: Horribly injured. I've been told I shouldn't have even played the last 3 seasons by 3 doctors, but I can't quit. In our community sports is everything. We also have one of the most respected programs in the state, wearing one of our jerseys and being part of history really means something to all of us. I also have no natural talent, at all.

Haggard
08-20-2007, 10:57 AM
I've played organised basketball since under 10's. I still play to this day. In fact I played tonight (lost the first round of finals howver we get another chance cos we fiinshed 1st. It was my first game back since I sprained my ankle about a month ago

Used to be a tall guy and used to get intensive tall guy training when I was about 14. Then come year 10 i stopped growing (6'1) and ended up playing either guard position. My strength is taking it to the hole but can still hit the 3. I am a decent defender and have quick hands (lazy feet at times). Could use to dunk it but not any more.

I represented my suburb in the junior state basketball league and at times wish that I continued it competitively instead of socially but, thems the breaks..

Shade
08-20-2007, 04:24 PM
I play, but pretty infrequently, as I don't really have anyone to play with, and I get bored just shooting around by myself.

I've been told my game is somewhat reminiscent of Dirk Nowitzski.

I've been trying to pimp a PD league for a while now, but nobody will listen to me. :(

Robertmto
08-22-2007, 08:37 PM
I play, but pretty infrequently, as I don't really have anyone to play with, and I get bored just shooting around by myself.

I've been told my game is somewhat reminiscent of Dirk Nowitzski.

I've been trying to pimp a PD league for a while now, but nobody will listen to me. :(

set it up again. I get bored.

Eindar
08-22-2007, 11:29 PM
[X] 1987 Gus Macker Toilet Bowl Champion

I've seen the trophy for this, and it's...amazing. My cousin won it when he was living with us. I'm thinking that would have been around 1990.

I played grade school ball from 4th-8th grade, and my game is very similar to Jeff Foster's, but I'm probably a better shot blocker (who isnt?). I'm a good size for a rec league PG or SG, but my skills are best suited in the post on defense and on the bench on offense.

Gyron
08-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Played in Junior high, but when they realized I had almost zero athletic skill, and was only 5' 10", They wouldn't even let me pass out the gatorade.

I would compare my game to that of Bowser in his heavy year.:fatbanana

dohman
08-28-2007, 04:23 AM
I played throughout h/s where I was mostly a hustle player. I relied on my athletism and jumping ability. Never much of a offensive player, I always ended up guarding the other teams threat and hit the boards extremely hard. Being 6'4 mostly played in the post because I had no shot.

Nowadays it is quite different. Weightlifting took away my explosiveness and I am about 2 steps behind where I used to be. Suck at Defense now and rely mostly on my offensive game of overpowering the defense and playing very physical. Still his the boards hard but rely on pushing the power players out of the way haha.

Growing up I modeled my game after the davis's.

The Hustler
08-28-2007, 05:01 AM
I was captain for my College (equivelent of last 2 years of High School in US) last season. We got to the finals of the county cup for the first time in the schools history.

I play PG and averaged 23 points, 9 assists and 3 steels last year ... i was pretty pleased.

This year i wanna play for my university team as much as possible, but i happen to be going to the most competive sporting university in the country.