PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein Chat 8/16 (JO/Lakers talk)

Jedirekal
08-16-2007, 01:03 PM
ali LA: What are the chances the Lakers can get Jermaine without giving up Lamar? Thanks

SportsNation Marc Stein: (11:10 AM ET ) I still hear that the chances are nil unless the Lakers are willing to part with Odom AND Bynum. They are not and Indy says they are unwilling to take anything less.

mike(newjersey): Which scenario has a better chance of happening? Jermaine O'Neal to the Lakers or Jermaine O'Neal to the Nets?

SportsNation Marc Stein: (11:36 AM ET ) We have to add a scenario to your list. The scenario where JO starts the season in Indy, which appears to be leading the race at the minute.

Majeed: Isn't a package that includes Bynum and Farmar and spare parts for JO equal to what Minny got in Jefferson, Green, and change?

SportsNation Marc Stein: (11:49 AM ET ) Perhaps. But Indy obviously doesn't feel as desperate to move Jermaine as Minnesota was with KG. The Wolves, remember, should have traded KG at least a year ago. The Pacers' path forward isn't as clear cut.

I guess we will wait till midseason to make a trade when you are out of the playoff picture and the price comes down to Bynum, Farmar, Cook, Kwame and a pick.

Slick Pinkham
08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
I guess we will wait till midseason to make a trade when you are out of the playoff picture and the price comes down to Bynum, Farmar, Cook, Kwame and a pick.

or until Kobe throws a hissy fit and walks out of camp, and then the price of Odom & Bynum begins to sound OK to the Lakers.

blanket
08-16-2007, 01:38 PM

:rolleyes:

Also, this belong in the JO trade thread:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=32529

cramerica
08-16-2007, 01:41 PM
:rolleyes:

Also, this belong in the JO trade thread:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=32529
The JO thread is overrated.

Mourning
08-16-2007, 01:44 PM
The JO thread is overrated.

Don't be dissing the JO-thread ... Hater!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

;)

cramerica
08-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Don't be dissing the JO-thread ... Hater!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

;)
Sorry. I didn't mean to dis the JO thread. I love sorting through 2000+ post to get my latest JO news!

;)

Oneal07
08-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Lakers can't offer us anything good so why deal with them

grace
08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Sorry. I didn't mean to dis the JO thread. I love sorting through 2000+ post to get my latest JO news!

;)

Just go to the end and work your way backwards if you're that desperate for news that hasn't (and may never) happen.

cramerica
08-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Just go to the end and work your way backwards if you're that desperate for news that hasn't (and may never) happen.
True, when I said news I should have said rumors.

oneofthesedays
08-16-2007, 02:37 PM
JO stays in Indy. I think there's a much higher chance JO will get traded sometime before the deadline next year or that he will opt out after another disappointing season of not making the playoffs.

eldubious
08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
or until Kobe throws a hissy fit and walks out of camp, and then the price of Odom & Bynum begins to sound OK to the Lakers.

Which may be the case, Kobe said he has no reason to attend training camp and Mitch is the reason the Lakers haven't traded for O'Neal.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simerscol16,0,4562154.column?page=2&coll=la-home-sports

Spicoli
08-16-2007, 03:11 PM
I have pretty limited reading comprehension, but I believe Kobe said he had no reason not to be in camp in that article..............

oneofthesedays
08-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Which may be the case, Kobe said he has no reason to attend training camp and Mitch is the reason the Lakers haven't traded for O'Neal.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simerscol16,0,4562154.column?page=2&coll=la-home-sports

Reading comprehension FTL. He said he had no reason not to be at training camp.

NuffSaid
08-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Like I said in the JO thread, it's very unlikely a trade w/either LA or the Nets will happen any time soon, if at all, and at best not sooner than the trade deadline.

So for now, stick a fork in this one, folks. It's done (...and I, for one, am glad of it! :D ).

eldubious
08-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Yada Yada Yada, so I misread the article, I still say this is not the last we'll hear from Kobe, he'll throw another fit before the season starts.

Shade
08-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Oh man, Simers is a horrible writer. That was painful to (try to) read.

Los Angeles
08-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I can't stand the ****ing Lakers. And I definitely can't stand the ****ing LAKER TROLLS MAKING SILLY "CONDITIONS" ON JUST WHAT THEY WILL AND WILL NOT APPROVE OF TO AQUIRE THE LAST REMAINING STAR ON OUR TEAM.

Take it to LakersTroll.com, kiddies. We're not interested in buying any more "annoying" at this house.

:banghead:

CableKC
08-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Surprise surprise.......a Laker fan trolling on a Pacers board.

Los Angeles
08-16-2007, 04:50 PM
But don't you get it Cable? they are trying to do us a favor by giving us Brian Cook in exchange for Jermaine Oneal. Lakers fans are our big brothers trying to help us out.

CableKC
08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
JO stays in Indy. I think there's a much higher chance JO will get traded sometime before the deadline next year or that he will opt out after another disappointing season of not making the playoffs.
Much like the Lakers FO is banking on a healthy roster and Bynum becoming the player that he needs to be in order for the Lakers to be more then 1st round Playoff fodder in the Western Conference......unless the Lakers decide to give up Odom+Bynum.....I think that the Pacers FO is going to stand pat and place their money on a healthy lineup, new Coach Staff led by JO'B and the addition of Rush and Deiner to the Guard rotation should allow them to make a solid push for the Playoffs in the LEastern Conference.

CableKC
08-16-2007, 04:52 PM
But don't you get it Cable? they are trying to do us a favor by giving us Brian Cook in exchange for Jermaine Oneal. Lakers fans are our big brothers trying to help us out.
If there was a way to get rid of Tinsley in any "Non-Odom" deal for JONeal....then I would gladly give up Tinsley's $27 mil contract while taking on Cook's $10.5 mil contract.

The problem is that there isn't without involving a 3rd party.

LoneGranger33
08-16-2007, 06:48 PM
If there was a way to get rid of Tinsley in any "Non-Odom" deal for JONeal....then I would gladly give up Tinsley's $27 mil contract while taking on Cook's $10.5 mil contract.

The problem is that there isn't without involving a 3rd party.

You don't mean that. Unless you want Diener to be our starter (with no other options).

I say, let the Laker fans go back home until something new happens.

http://www.bad-good.org/troll2/nilbog.jpg

oneofthesedays
08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Yup this JO trade is officially dead IMHO. I'll be leaving PD for good unless some new developments occur. Been a pleasure debating/arguing/joking around with you guys. Good luck next season!

LoneGranger33
08-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Yup this JO trade is officially dead IMHO. I'll be leaving PD for good unless some new developments occur. Been a pleasure debating/arguing/joking around with you guys. Good luck next season!

To you too. Except I don't really like Kobe, but everyone else.

CableKC
08-16-2007, 07:21 PM
You don't mean that. Unless you want Diener to be our starter (with no other options).

I say, let the Laker fans go back home until something new happens.

http://www.bad-good.org/troll2/nilbog.jpg
If it meant getting rid of Tinsley...then I have no problem starting Marquis and having Deiner back him up.

OnlyPacersLeft
08-16-2007, 07:27 PM

wowwwwwwwwww are you serious? If anything the lakers will be out of the playoffs and looking to trade kobe! Then they may just ship him here because we are above 500.!
*Tone it down please*

LTD
08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
I've always felt like the only chance this trade had was if it happenned during the offseason. There's just no way it happens after the season starts. Either bynum shows improvement, which will make the lakers keep him, or bynum doesn't improve, and then the odom/bynum offer doesn't look as good to the pacers as it did during the offseason.

I'd bet my last buck that this deal is DEAD.

NuffSaid
08-17-2007, 10:29 AM
LTD,

I think you're right. And BTW, even if JO's comments out of that LA interview concerning Bird were absolutely 100% on the money, I really can't say I blame him. I mean, which is wiser: a) placing your asking price high for an All-Star or 2) low-balling yourself just to get rid of a player? We've been down that road before (w/Ron). Don't see Bird/DW going there again. And who cares if the JO trade had gutted the Lakers' roster. That's their problem, not ours. If they want "our" guy so bad then they'd better be prepared to pay big for him.

And for those of you comparing the proposed JO to Lakers trade to the KG to Boston trade, the bar was set low IMO only because the T-Wolves were very much willing to start over and free up cap space whereas the Pacers aren't nearly as desperate to rebuild. Moreover, I dare say there was more of an upside to the Pacers' roster with or w/o JO as far as pieces to trade with potential than there are on the T-Wolves' roster. Except for Randy Foye, their best and only trade commodity was KG!

Like I said, stick a fork in this one. It's done!

Anthem
08-17-2007, 11:37 AM
I disagree that the KG bar was really low. Jefferson's better than Odom, Greene's better than Bynum, Theo's expiring contract is bigger than Kwame's, and they got two picks out of the deal.

The KG deal is better than an Odom/Bynum deal, and VASTLY superior to a Bynum/Crit deal.

naptownmenace
08-17-2007, 11:52 AM
I disagree that the KG bar was really low. Jefferson's better than Odom, Greene's better than Bynum, Theo's expiring contract is bigger than Kwame's, and they got two picks out of the deal.

The KG deal is better than an Odom/Bynum deal, and VASTLY superior to a Bynum/Crit deal.

Yep, I still think Minny made out very well in that deal. They got a lot of young talent for a guy they knew didn't want to be there and wasn't going to re-sign with them.

LTD
08-17-2007, 08:57 PM

Anthem, I prety much agree with everything that you said except for Green being better than Bynum. I actually think that Green is overrated.

BlueNGold
08-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Anthem, I prety much agree with everything that you said except for Green being better than Bynum. I actually think that Green is overrated.

Bynum is definitely more valuable than Greene. However, MN did the deal for a couple reasons. First, McHale did not want to hand KG to Kobe and the evil Lakers in their conference. Sending him to McHale's friend in Boston was certainly more palatable. Second, Boston's deal was truly better. It provides BOTH a young crop of good prospects (Greene, Gomes, etc.) PLUS a young, proven PF in Al Jefferson who will soon be better than an older Odom...if not already. It met their goal of a full fledged youth movement with a manageable risk.

This touches on why the Pacers will not deal JO for Bynum and friends. The risk is simply too great. JO is THE franchise player in Indy. He will not be given away for unproven players. LA simply does not have an offer that works...for either team.

LTD
08-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Bynum is definitely more valuable than Greene. However, MN did the deal for a couple reasons. First, McHale did not want to hand KG to Kobe and the evil Lakers in their conference. Sending him to McHale's friend in Boston was certainly more palatable. Second, Boston's deal was truly better. It provides BOTH a young crop of good prospects (Greene, Gomes, etc.) PLUS a young, proven PF in Al Jefferson who will soon be better than an older Odom...if not already. It met their goal of a full fledged youth movement with a manageable risk.

This touches on why the Pacers will not deal JO for Bynum and friends. The risk is simply too great. JO is THE franchise player in Indy. He will not be given away for unproven players. LA simply does not have an offer that works...for either team.

Blue, I wasn't trying to point out anything about the trade. I just wanted to say that I didn't agree with his statement that Green was better than Bynum.

BlueNGold
08-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Blue, I wasn't trying to point out anything about the trade. I just wanted to say that I didn't agree with his statement that Green was better than Bynum.

I know. Since this is a JO/Laker thread, I added that.

I think one needs to look closely at why KG went to Boston instead of LA. It is a good measuring stick for JO's value IMO.

Now for a little math. If KG can land a deal > Bynum/Odom/filler, JO is certainly worth more than Bynum/filler and LA is even less likely to get JO.

LTD
08-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Oh ok. I see where you're coming from. BTW, I don't think Mchale would have dealt him to LA anyway.

Naptown_Seth
08-18-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm in that camp as well, but generally Anthem's point is legit. Of course we all knew that. We also know that many, though not all, Pacers fans LOVE JO and actually enjoy rooting for him.

If the Pacers are going out of the playoffs as suggested it would at least be nice to have a player worth paying to see. Meanwhile perhaps other deals will surface that fit the Pacers needs more.

And BTW, even if the Pacers stink they end up with a high pick and very likely a very talented young guard to come in and play with JO much like JO joined the vet Reggie and gave him a few more shots at it. (or Wade did for Shaq, though Shaq came in afterward)

If JO really is just a 2nd fiddle then perhaps one of the stud SG/PG types will quickly shine as the main guy here working off JO. There you go, nearly instant "rebuild".

Did someone say LA trolls were packing up and going home?
:dance:

LTD
08-18-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm in that camp as well, but generally Anthem's point is legit.

I agree, and that's why I said that I pretty much agreed with everything except for the Green comment. There's no doubt in my mind that this deal is dead FOR GOOD.

VF21
08-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Surprise surprise.......a Laker fan trolling on a Pacers board.

Welcome to my world.

;)

Naptown_Seth
08-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Welcome to my world.

;)
I can imagine. :laugh:

Hicks
08-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Welcome to my world.

;)

Surprise surprise.......a King fan trolling on-- just kidding. ;)

Anthem
08-19-2007, 01:01 AM
To be honest, I intentionally overstated the Green-vs-Bynum thing for dramatic effect, because it sounded a lot better than "Green, Gomes, and 2 draft picks is better than Bynum."

If I don't use shorthand, does the comparison seem better?