PDA

View Full Version : Daniels Preparing to Unleash Frustration

Hicks
08-16-2007, 10:43 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/web_070816.html

Aug. 16, 2007
<hr> http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/web_new_150.jpg The first thing you notice about Marquis Daniels these days is the smile. No, that's not quite right. The first thing you notice is that he's here, again, like he has been most every day since before the season even ended. First it was rehab, then strength and conditioning work, then on-court drills, and now a little bit of everything.

The broad, bright smile is the product of that work. Entering his fifth season, Daniels is ready to trade potential for production, frustration for fulfillment.
<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/marquis_daniels.jpg
<center>Daniels</center></td></tr></tbody></table>
"I feel like it's time," he said. "I've been through a lot, from personal issues to coaching changes to injuries to whatever the case might be. It's time for me to put together a full year, go through things and take it all in stride. … I'm very excited. I haven't really had a season where I've come in feeling close to 100 percent."

Daniels should be a perfect fit for new Coach Jim O'Brien's more aggressive offensive tempo, in addition to his solid perimeter defensive skills. The coach has long been aware of his talent and has been suitably impressed this summer by Daniels' commitment.

"What he has shown me, more than anything else, is dedication to this organization by being here on a regular basis to make sure he's going to come into training camp healthy, conditioned and focused," O'Brien said. "Anybody that has spent the consistent amount of time that Marquis has spent here really is someone that you're anxious to coach and you're anxious to have on the team. I think he's going to have a real good year.

<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jim_obrien.jpg
<center>O'Brien</center></td></tr></tbody></table>
"He's made for an up-tempo attack. Not having Marquis at the end of the season really hurt this franchise. You can't control injuries but if we can keep him healthy, he'll be -- as a result of his dedication to his body -- a major, major factor for us."

Daniels, whose ability to break down most any defense with his methodical weaves through the lane sets him apart from most of his teammates, is likewise looking forward to playing in O'Brien's "3-second offense" in which players are encouraged to get the ball across halfcourt as quickly as possible to put pressure on the defense.

"I like Coach O'Brien's philosophy of getting the ball up court in 3 seconds," Daniels said. "A lot of things can happen. Even the halfcourt offense is open with a lot of ball movement and player movement and that fits into my game so hopefully I can come out and have a good year this year."

Thought to be the centerpiece acquisition of the offseason of 2006, Daniels had perhaps his most frustrating year. A hamstring injury cost him vital preparation time in training camp and the preseason. By the time he became comfortable with the system and was able to carve a sizeable niche – averaging 13.2 points in a five-game stretch in January – his left knee started acting up.

After missing six games, he returned and scored 22 to help spark a 136-129 double-overtime victory over Milwaukee that pushed the Pacers' record to 29-24. But the knee only got worse, he soon returned to the inactive list and the season spiraled downward. Daniels' injury coincided with the decisive 11-game losing streak.

It was a frustrating irony: in his absence, Daniels ultimately demonstrated his value.

He's determined to do it with his presence this season.

"I feel 100 percent better than I did last year," he said. "I'm looking forward to being injury-free this year, just staying humble and staying blessed.

<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/shawn_windle.jpg
<center>Windle</center></td></tr></tbody></table>
<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/carl_eaton.jpg
<center>Eaton</center></td></tr></tbody></table> <table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/josh_corbeil.jpg
<center>Corbeil</center></td></tr></tbody></table>
"I haven't really felt this way since my rookie year. Coming in from my rookie year I tore two ligaments in my ankle, then after that year I had my hamstring problems and my knee problems. Thank God I got here with (trainer) Josh (Corbeil) and (assistant trainer) Carl (Eaton) and (strength and conditioning coach) Shawn (Windle) in the weight room; they've been doing tremendous work for me.

"They're just great at what they do. I come in ready to listen and get better. You've got to be willing to do it and be dedicated to getting better and they've been helping me out a lot."

Daniels finished his rookie season in Dallas by averaging 14.0 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.8 assists in the final 24 games but finished the season with torn ankle ligaments. His second season was interrupted first by an appendectomy, and then by a left-ankle injury. Just as he got on a roll in '05-06, averaging 17.2 points in a nine-game span, Daniels suffered a sprained neck that ultimately cost him 16 games. He fell out of favor with Mavs coach Avery Johnson and was dealt to the Pacers for Austin Croshere.

Determined to break out of that pattern, Daniels committed fully to his rigorous offseason schedule. He was supposed to take a vacation to visit family a couple of weeks ago but work just keeps getting in the way.

"You've got to be dedicated and you've got to be committed to what you're doing," he said. "I didn't like the way things ended with our team last year, so I just figured if I come in and put more effort and work into getting healthy and staying healthy this year it'll all pay off and hopefully we can have a better outcome next year."

If all goes according to plan, Daniels' versatility could make a big difference. So could his determination.

"When Oct. 31 gets here," he said, "I look forward to unleashing a lot of frustration."

<hr>WORKOUTS COULD DETERMINE REGGIE'S DECISION

Reggie Miller apparently won't make a decision on his possible comeback with Boston until completing a series of two-a-day workouts to test his body's readiness. The Boston Globe reported one of Miller's neighbors in Malibu, Calif., is none other than Kevin Garnett, so it seems he'll have plenty of company.

<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/reggie_miller.jpg
<center>Miller</center></td></tr></tbody></table>
Miller, who turns 42 next Friday, would be a welcome addition to a Boston bench otherwise bereft of scoring punch, assuming his body responds to the workouts.

"I think he’d be a great addition, another veteran," Paul Pierce told the Globe. "Regardless of his age, he’s a guy you’d still have to pay attention to out there, late-game situations also.

"It would definitely be weird, a guy who’s Mr. Pacer. It would be like if I turned 33 and if I went somewhere else. He was there, what, 18 years in one uniform? I guess he said if (Michael) Jordan can do it, why not him?"

There's a pretty long list of answers to that one, but we've already covered that.

<hr>INTERNOTES …

Stanko Barac, the 7-2 center acquired by the Pacers in the second round of the NBA Draft, reportedly has signed a five-year contract with legendary Spanish team Tau Ceramica, a sizeable leap up in competition from the Adriatic League. It's roughly the equivalent of making the leap from Double-A to the major leagues but he won't be rushed. Tau already has Tiago Splitter, Will McDonald and James Singleton on the front line, meaning Barac will have the luxury of time to develop.

<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/josh_powell.jpg
<center>Powell</center></td></tr></tbody></table>

In the good things happen to good people department, it was nice to read that Josh Powell signed a three-year contract with the Clippers earlier this week. Powell, a 6-9 forward with a strong work ethic, played well in a limited role after being included in the eight-player trade with Golden State but didn't figure in the Warriors' plans.

The preseason schedule offers a couple of tasty morsels as No. 2 pick Kevin Durant and the Sonics visit Conseco Fieldhouse on Oct. 13, while Lawrence North product Mike Conley visits with the Memphis Grizzlies on Oct. 17.

Speed
08-16-2007, 10:59 AM
I like to think of Samuel Jackson (Jules) in Pulp Fiction doing that verse, while I read about Marquis unleashing frustration ... "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger" ... it adds to the effect.

Then again I hope he just stays reasonably healthy for about 70 games.

Here is the whole thing :)

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Kegboy
08-16-2007, 11:02 AM
And here I thought this thread was gonna be about Mel laying the woop-*** on Reggie.

Kegboy
08-16-2007, 11:07 AM
The preseason schedule offers a couple of tasty morsels as No. 2 pick Kevin Durant and the Sonics visit Conseco Fieldhouse on Oct. 13, while Lawrence North product Mike Conley visits with the Memphis Grizzlies on Oct. 17.

God, both of those are tempting. I love preseason games.

Hicks
08-16-2007, 11:16 AM
And here I thought this thread was gonna be about Mel laying the woop-*** on Reggie.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/mel_jules_daniels.jpg
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Speed
08-16-2007, 11:17 AM

Now that is awesome, scary, but awesome.

Kegboy
08-16-2007, 11:27 AM

Damn, beat me to the avatar. Oh well. Too bad "Righteous men don't go to Boston" doesn't fit in the title.

blanket
08-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Thought to be the centerpiece acquisition of the offseason of 2006

:confused:

what about Al Harrington?!?

Kegboy
08-16-2007, 11:37 AM
:confused:

what about Al Harrington?!?

Maybe Conrad's saying that was just a PR move.

JayRedd
08-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Wheew....This article was a relief.

I was afraid Frustration might be the name of a pitbull he's preparing to fight at Vick's house.

Shade
08-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Ditto. :laugh:

indygeezer
08-16-2007, 01:21 PM

I was HOPING that was what it was about.

grace
08-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Maybe Conrad's saying that was just a PR move.

...or it doesn't count because he didn't even last a season.

StankoLover216
08-16-2007, 02:21 PM
STANKO MAKE BIG LEAGUE! SOON PLAYER NBA! WHY NO PARTY TIME?!

Naptown_Seth
08-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Dang it, I swear the instant I saw Mal's new avitar I was going to do the same quote you did. :D
(edit - guess you must have raced each other to create it)

"Celtic doesn't sound like any basketball I know. BASKETBALL MFer, do you play it!?!"
"...celtics....?"
(BAM)
"Oh I'm sorry, did I ruin your retirement?"

I tell you, this offseason has some brilliant stuff. Stanko, No JO for You, this Reggie stuff, Redd and DG33 trying to challenge Rat. It might seem like all I do is argue and b**** lately, but this place cracks me up. The reason I switched to "hey, whatever, I'd like to see how this team works out as is" is do to the lighthearted fun around here. I don't think they are going to win but I don't care that they won't, not in a "THEY SUCK" angry kinda way at least.

LG33
08-16-2007, 02:25 PM
It really would have been in our best interest to get James Singleton this offseason - not only would he be our "mystery PF", but he wouldn't be taking playing time away from everybody's hero, the All-Star from Mostar.

Stanko Barac, the 7-2 center acquired by the Pacers in the second round of the NBA Draft, reportedly has signed a five-year contract with legendary Spanish team Tau Ceramica, a sizeable leap up in competition from the Adriatic League. It's roughly the equivalent of making the leap from Double-A to the major leagues but he won't be rushed. Tau already has Tiago Splitter, Will McDonald and James Singleton on the front line, meaning Barac will have the luxury of time to develop.

Speed
08-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Dang it, I swear the instant I saw Mal's new avitar I was going to do the same quote you did. :D

"Celtic doesn't sound like any basketball I know. BASKETBALL MFer, do you play it!?!"
"...celtics....?"
(BAM)

Say Boston one more time.... :)

Naptown_Seth
08-16-2007, 02:42 PM
"I haven't really felt this way since my rookie year. Coming in from my rookie year I tore two ligaments in my ankle, then after that year I had my hamstring problems and my knee problems. Thank God I got here with (trainer) Josh (Corbeil) and (assistant trainer) Carl (Eaton) and (strength and conditioning coach) Shawn (Windle) in the weight room; they've been doing tremendous work for me.Back to the article, I have a serious negative reaction to hard spin. When did this Pacers staff get the rep for FIXING injury issues? Okay, the injuries might not be their fault, but you'd have to be in denial to not acknowledge that the injury issue has brought the training staff into question at least with the fans.

The idea that not only are they not part of the issue at all, but are actually fixing problems that other trainers couldn't get resolved is just a bit much for me to swallow. Oh, MD got to the Pacers, he's certain to be all better now....well, except for last year.

Seeing a "this staff has put me back to feeling like I haven't felt in years" makes me see the whole article as more spin rather than real news. MD has been working on his body, fine. But maybe let's hold off the "best in years, I'll be good to go all year like a teenager again" until April, for both Quis and JO (who's also been saying it).

What's next, Tinsley is on a respitory regime that has him "breathing like he's 12 again"??

LG33
08-16-2007, 02:47 PM
The most (only?) important part of this whole story is that Stanko signed with Tau Ceramica.
Why does no one else care?!

Since86
08-16-2007, 02:53 PM
What's next, Tinsley is on a respitory regime that has him "breathing like he's 12 again"??

They run that piece everytime a feel good article about JOB comes out.

JayRedd
08-16-2007, 03:05 PM
(edit - guess you must have raced each other to create it)

"...celtics....?"
(BAM)

"Describe what Pacers fans look like!"

"...wwwhat?"

"Say what again. SAY WHAT AGAIN! I dare you, I double dare you, mother****er. Say what one more ******* time."

"TTThhh-ey're wh-wh-whiiite..."

"Go on."

"They're out of shape"

"Do they look like a b!tch?"

"What?"

[Mel shoots Reggie in shoulder]

"DO THEY LOOK LIKE A B!TCH?"

"No!"

"Then why you tryna to **** 'em like a *****, Reg?

"I'm not."

"Yes you are. Yes you are, Reg. You tried to **** him. And Pacers fans don't like to be ****ed by anybody but Pacer fan wives...and prostitutes."

Anthem
08-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Tinsley did a pretty decent job of staying on the court last year.

Not a huge fan of what he did with that time, but at least he was playing.

DgR
08-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Daniels is one of the most important guys on our offense. Other than JO he's probably the most valuable because there's nobody on this team that can do what he can consistently. We saw exactly what's the difference in the team's performance when he's out.

Unclebuck
08-17-2007, 03:01 AM
I think in many ways Daniels is the most important player on the Pacers roster. he's the one guy who can make the Pacers a much better team than anyone expects

D-BONE
08-17-2007, 08:09 AM
I like what he brings as much as anyone else, but the bottom line is he can't release squat if he's sitting injured for big chunks of the year. Hopefully, that can change, but his track record still says he's fragile and until he proves otherwise over 82, I will maintain relatively low expectations. Last year he didn't even log big minutes the majority of the season and then got dinged up pretty fast once he started to see the floor.

Unclebuck
08-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I like what he brings as much as anyone else, but the bottom line is he can't release squat if he's sitting injured for big chunks of the year. Hopefully, that can change, but his track record still says he's fragile and until he proves otherwise over 82, I will maintain relatively low expectations. Last year he didn't even log big minutes the majority of the season and then got dinged up pretty fast once he started to see the floor.

But what appears to be different this season is he's healthy. Last summer he wasn't healthy, he missed all of training camp and all of preseason. And when you start the season injured it is amazing how often you end the season injured. We'll see if he can stay healthy.

One big problem I see is that Tinsley and Daniels really cannot play at the same time, since both are such bad outside shooters. So that really limits what you can do. I really wished and still hope that Tinsley is just gotten rid of by any means, and then I would be fine with point guard by committee. We would have to sign another point guard and it might be too late, but that is what I really wanted to happen this summer. My only thought is no one and I mean no one will take Tinsley off of our hands

MagicRat
08-17-2007, 09:57 AM
I really wished and still hope that Tinsley is just gotten rid of by any means, and then I would be fine with point guard by committee. We would have to sign another point guard and it might be too late, but that is what I really wanted to happen this summer. My only thought is no one and I mean no one will take Tinsley off of our hands

I fully expect to welcome you back to the bandwagon by early December.......

Unclebuck
08-17-2007, 10:13 AM
I fully expect to welcome you back to the bandwagon by early December.......

I would like nothing better than to eat crow on this.

Naptown_Seth
08-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I think in many ways Daniels is the most important player on the Pacers roster. he's the one guy who can make the Pacers a much better team than anyone expects
The irony here is that he's much more of a Rick player than a JOB player. He has NO 3 at all, but he's great at iso drives and creating off the dribble.

I will acknowledge that some of the post-trade losing was due to Quis getting hurt. But the other part of that is that prior to the trade they didn't have to rely on Quis to stay healthy in order to maintain .500 play.

If he's going to help a JOB team then I think Jim is going to have to coach a different variation of his offense. For that matter having JO will also require a different approach, at least to a degree.

Slick Pinkham
08-17-2007, 02:59 PM
I would like nothing better than to eat crow on this.

I think that the Earth experiencing an unexpected solar eclipse is more likely than you having to eat crow over your low expectations for Tinsley.

Arcadian
08-17-2007, 04:20 PM
The irony here is that he's much more of a Rick player than a JOB player. He has NO 3 at all, but he's great at iso drives and creating off the dribble.

Are you talking about the same JOB that started Andre Iguodala over Glenn Robinson?

Naptown_Seth
08-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Are you talking about the same JOB that started Andre Iguodala over Glenn Robinson?
What part of INJURED LIST, NO PT, TRADED FOR INJURED/CONTRACT MASHBURN matches what JOB wanted in a player?

Glenn was DONE, it had nothing to do with being JOB's type of player, Glenn didn't play at all, then went to NOK in a contract swap, got waived and then played 9 stinking games with the Spurs to end the year and get his "ring".

Iggy shot more 3pters per FGA (26% of his shots were from 3) under JOB than he has since, by a wide margin. Glenn was a 34% career 3pt guy Iggy shot 33% himself in his rookie year while doing all that camping.

Meanwhile Korver's minutes per game were at their highest with JOB, and his 3 to total FGAs ratio was a staggering 74% under JOB.

So yeah, I'm talking about the same JOB that kept a quality athlete with good defensive instincts over a vet on the verge of retirement and suffering from tendinitis who couldn't hit the 3 any better than the rookie. Not sure how that changes the view of what his type of player is, unless we were debating if JOB was literally brain dead and his type of player was one that was physically incapable of playing anymore.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the POV I presented.

Arcadian
08-17-2007, 10:34 PM
I think you want to say the only player good for JOB is Walker or any player that jacks up threes as you continue to pout about Rick being fired.

Rick has never had a player like Daniels--a good penetrator and ball handler at the two spot so I don't see how he suddenly becomes a Rick type of player.

rexnom
08-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Is there any way we can give JOB more credit? I think he can work with guys that aren't exactly "his type." I'm sure he'll do wonders with JO.

LG33
08-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Feel free to give me more suggestions/comment on the list.

Coach O'Brien

rexnom
08-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Feel free to give me more suggestions/comment on the list.

Coach O'Brien
Done.

Naptown_Seth
08-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I think you want to say the only player good for JOB is Walker or any player that jacks up threes as you continue to pout about Rick being fired.

Rick has never had a player like Daniels--a good penetrator and ball handler at the two spot so I don't see how he suddenly becomes a Rick type of player.
Because it's a lot more subtle than that. This is freaking ridiculous.

Sorry, no, Rick never had a SG named Quis that went off dribble but had no 3pt shot...because I was being that specific and riding Rick's jock.

The basketball I watch, the COMPLAINTS about Rick I hear, the comments FROM JOB that I hear, and many other things (like actual results, playing time, types of plays run, etc) are where I come off with my kook theory that Rick likes to iso and dribble attack (Jackson, Tins, AJ, AC, even Troy Murphy) from the perimeter when he has players that can do it and JOB likes to stress the 3pt option as a primary threat.

Where oh where did I come up with that nutter theory...was it the record 3s by Boston, was it the rant by Jay regarding AJ's final game vs the Nets, how people hated to watch a guy like Jack pause, jab, pause, drive, lose the ball, was it JOB SAYING he wanted guys to work on their 3pt shot...

I'm really fed up. I wasn't even attacking JOB, nor defending Rick. I just said that IRONICALLY the blue paint is getting attention from the coach who likes red rather than the coach who liked blue. Outrageous I know.

And I sure as f*** didn't say that JOB couldn't work with players that weren't his type.

But you might want to ask Bird WTF he's doing trying to get players that fit JOB's system or whatever comment he made about that, along with all the fans that agree that a coach's system should fit the players and vice-versa for maximum success.

People need to get this straight, I'm not saying JOB is a bad coach. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a chance. Freaking noting a guys style or success rate or previous history doesn't make you a "hater". Hater is more like saying "Rick sucked" despite the W-L record saying otherwise.

I'm only talking about expectations, and I expect JOB to continue to coach in his preferred style and with his methods. What, now the 3 ball is totally out BUT naturally he'll keep his defensive mentality and make the team much better.

Everyone is fine to expect Harter and JOB to improve the defense because "that's what they do", but god forbid you suggest that they will also maintain their coaching approach at the other end. Then you are out to get the guy or something.

Arcadian
08-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Just quit bring up Rick when ever JOB is mentioned and people won't think that. This is becoming Jackson/Dunleavy all over again.