PDA

View Full Version : VAN HALEN TOUR>>>> WITH DAVID LEE ROTH!!

brichard
08-15-2007, 10:52 PM
I saw everything posted on the net yesterday! They are coming to Conseco in October!

:woot: :woot:

LoneGranger33
08-15-2007, 11:04 PM
And Conseco, will rock.
Yeah Conseco, will rock!
And I say, rock on!!!

That's seriously awesome.

Pig Nash
08-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Over\Under on how long this tour goes is set at 1 show. I will be taking the under.

brichard
08-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Over\Under on how long this tour goes is set at 1 show. I will be taking the under.

That is why it is so great Indy is 4th on the list!

I honestly think things will be fine if Roth doesn't get out of his mind on drugs. The Eagles did it, so hopefully they have mellowed enough with age to finally get things on the road. Even with the songs they recorded on the greatest hits album with Roth, Like "Me Wise Magic," it was good stuff.

I love Sammy and he is waaaay better solo than David Lee is. This is a win for everybody.

avoidingtheclowns
08-16-2007, 12:55 AM
everyone fights about talk van halen vs. van hagar... sadly no one ever mentions another, albeit less successful (but my favorite) version of the group: Van Humperdinck
Their lone single "Hot for Quando Quando Quando" failed to chart but it'll always be special to me

Los Angeles
08-16-2007, 02:40 AM
I refuse to believe.

Kegboy
08-16-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm sorry, I don't care about the singer, but any band without Michael Anthony is not Van Halen.

Kegboy
08-16-2007, 11:20 AM

I honestly think things will be fine if Roth doesn't get out of his mind on drugs.

The problem now will be how clean Eddie is.

brichard
08-16-2007, 07:12 PM
The problem now will be how clean Eddie is.

Let's face it, drug addiction is tough for anybody to kick. I remember a Sociology teacher in college saying "A recovered drug addict, if there is such a thing..." Not many people come back from that.

But Aerosmith has been able to do it and they had the Grateful Dead worried about them. When the Dead is doing an intervention... you've got serious problems. :cool:

I liken this much to the Kiss reunion bringing back Ace and Peter. I never had a chance to see them in their makeup when I was young, and I've never had a chance to see Van Halen with Roth. I do wish Michael Anthony was back, but a bass player who isnt a lead vocalist, is probably your most replacable band member. Also, I think it is cool to see 3 of the four actually have Van Halen as the last name

Los Angeles
08-16-2007, 07:38 PM
I heard Courtney Love was at Whitney Houston's intervention. :-o

I'm completely serious.

Diamond Dave
08-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Peck, myself, and some other friends will be there in the closest row possible.

My name is "Diamond Dave" by accident. ;)

Bball
08-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Let's face it, drug addiction is tough for anybody to kick. I remember a Sociology teacher in college saying "A recovered drug addict, if there is such a thing..." Not many people come back from that.

But Aerosmith has been able to do it and they had the Grateful Dead worried about them. When the Dead is doing an intervention... you've got serious problems. :cool:

I liken this much to the Kiss reunion bringing back Ace and Peter. I never had a chance to see them in their makeup when I was young, and I've never had a chance to see Van Halen with Roth. I do wish Michael Anthony was back, but a bass player who isnt a lead vocalist, is probably your most replacable band member. Also, I think it is cool to see 3 of the four actually have Van Halen as the last name

Michael Anthony's distinctive background vocals were a very big part of the Van Halen sound.

I think it's absolutely stupid to do this without Michael Anthony.

I'm curious just what kind of a buzz this tour will generate. I'm thinking it fizzles, not sizzles.

Eddie obviously re-energized rock guitar and gave it a new face and voice when it needed one... but IMHO he allowed himself to become a cliche. From not expanding his musical boundaries (IOW- becoming repetitive and stale) to becoming another strung out, egotistical former rockstar. I'm doubting this version of "Van Halen" reignites that creative spark. More power to him if it does. I'd love to hear a re-energized, creative, and clean Eddie Van Halen reclaim his rightful spot in the Rock and Roll Guitar Gun Slingers Hall of Fame. But to think petty internal squabbles kept Anthony out of the lineup and is bringing a 16 year old to play with a group over 3 times his age, doesn't bode well for that thought.

-Bball

brichard
08-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Michael Anthony's distinctive background vocals were a very big part of the Van Halen sound.

I think it's absolutely stupid to do this without Michael Anthony.

I'm curious just what kind of a buzz this tour will generate. I'm thinking it fizzles, not sizzles.

Eddie obviously re-energized rock guitar and gave it a new face and voice when it needed one... but IMHO he allowed himself to become a cliche. From not expanding his musical boundaries (IOW- becoming repetitive and stale) to becoming another strung out, egotistical former rockstar. I'm doubting this version of "Van Halen" reignites that creative spark. More power to him if it does. I'd love to hear a re-energized, creative, and clean Eddie Van Halen reclaim his rightful spot in the Rock and Roll Guitar Gun Slingers Hall of Fame. But to think petty internal squabbles kept Anthony out of the lineup and is bringing a 16 year old to play with a group over 3 times his age, doesn't bode well for that thought.

-Bball

Wow... you sure you aren't talking about Donnie Walsh in this post? :darkness: :cool:

I'm not sure why Michael Anthony isn't in the band right now, but the last I heard he left to go play with Sammy. Sammy had a pretty candid interview where he just talked about how difficult it was to coexist with Eddie. Some of it may be ego, some of it may be the drugs, and some of it may be a genuine interest of playing music with his son.

If I were to personally rank the importance of the band members in terms of seeing a live show I would list:

1. Eddie
2. David Lee Roth
3. Alex
4. Michael Anthony

I think you are wrong about the tour, but time will tell. They have three of their dates already sold out. There should be enough nostalgia out there to bring enough folks like myself, who never saw them in their hey day, to come out to the show.

I am curious how you refer to him as cliche and stale. From what I understand he is a bit of an egotisical jerk, but I'm guessing that is quite prevalent in the rock star world. I've always considered him to be quite creative throughout the years.

1. Eruption- Finger tapping may or may not have been invented by him, but he certainly popularized the artform.

2. Unchained/Cradle- The beginning to both of these songs have such great riffs and unique sounds.

3. Cathedral- His playing with the sound on the guitar while playing gives another fresh sound to the guitar.

4. Jump- Eddie learns synthesizer in addition to keeping his guitar duties.

5. Poundcake- I love the drill sound at the beginning of this.

6. Me Wise Magic- This is a great, great, underappreciated song in my opinion. Instrumentally it has that classic Van Halen sound.

So, those are just a few of the things he has brought to the stage. I think we also have to make sure we are judging him equally. Whom else is his superior in terms of constantly crafting and changing their sound? I love Angus, but he has been playing the same sound for years. It isn't Joe Perry either. I do think Randy Rhoades had the potential of taking the throne eventually and Hendrix was certainly inventive... but they each met a pretty early demise.

Anyway, Van Halen has never been my favorite rock band, but it was certainly one of those shows I regretted missing in my youth. It will be fun to see them. I saw them with Hagar, but it just isn't the same.

Bball
08-19-2007, 01:40 AM

2. Cradle- The beginning to both of these songs have such great riffs and unique sounds.

The beginning of And the Cradle will Rock is a keyboard. IIRC it's ran thru an MXR Phaser and Marshall amps.

I saw the Van Halen II tour and a couple of others. VHII rocked. Fair Warning sucked IMHO. I'm not sure Roth sang a whole song during the Fair Warning Indy show. He was constantly jabbering in the songs. By Fair Warning it appeared the concerts had taken a backseat to partying (for the band).

-Bball

avoidingtheclowns
09-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Rolling Stone Q&A with Michael Anthony.

9/4/07, 2:22 pm EST
Fired Van Halen Bassist: ďI Found Out on the InternetĒ (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/09/04/fired-van-halen-bassist-i-found-out-on-the-internet/)

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/0/5/8/4/16254850-16254853-slarge.jpg
As youíve almost certainly heard (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/08/13/van-halen-reunion-tour-dates-announced-first-gig-september-27-in-north-carolina/), later this month the reunited Van Halen (http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/vanhalen) is hitting the road for an extensive tour with David Lee Roth out front. But something is missing. Original bassist Michael Anthony ó whose distinctive backing vocals are crucial to classics like ďRunning With the DevilĒ and ďPanamaĒ ó has been fired and replaced by Eddie Van Halenís sixteen-year-old son Wolfgang. Many outraged fans are pledging to stay home, while others will be showing up with ďWhere Is Michael Anthony?Ē T-shirts (http://www.cafepress.com/whereismikey). Last week Anthony got on the phone with RS to explain what happened.

When was the last time you saw Eddie Van Halen?

The last time I actually spoke or saw him in person was right after we walked offstage in 2004, the last show of the tour.

How were things then?

It really didnít end in total peace and harmony within the band, for whatever reasons. Iím not going to finger-point at anyone, but the tour, after eighty shows, just couldnít go on at that point.

How did you find out they were going to do this upcoming tour without you?

Probably like everybody else, I found out on the Internet and through word of mouth. I can understand that he wants his kid to play with him. If I had a kid like that, Iíd like to have him perform with me, too. It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen ďreunion.Ē

So they never called you?

No, nobody ever contacted me about anything. I just kind of found out with everyone else.

Is it true they tried to keep you off the 2004 tour?

Yeah. Ed didnít really want me on that tour.

Do you know why?

He was always put off that I was going out and playing with Sammy [Hagar] when we werenít doing anything. It wasnít like I was doing it to spite anybody. I was just tired of sitting at home and doing nothing. Sammy asked me one day if I would like to come out and maybe make an appearance at one or two of [his] shows and have some fun, and I said, ďYeah, great.Ē It kind of snowballed into me coming out and doing a few songs with him here and there.

Didnít they make you sign something to participate in the last tour?

Youíre putting all the dirt in this one, huh? I gave up a lot to do [the last Van Halen] tour, as far as my percentage of what everyone was being paid. I did have to sign something at the end of the tour, that I was relinquishing any rights or claims that I had to anything that had to do with Van Halen. The reason I did the tour was: I didnít need the money, but I kind of figured if it was the last time Van Halen ever went out, Iíd be kicking myself if I didnít go out onstage one last time for the fans. So I kind of sucked it up a bit.

But that didnít affect your royalties or anything?

No.

Do you regret doing that?

Thereís always things that you look at in hindsight that you could have done differently or whatever, or tried to make it better. I donít regret going out, because I did enjoy going out and playing for the fans. I kind of regret the way that it turned out, because it should have been a tour that possibly went on for at least a year, and toured all over the world, and it just wasnít meant to be. And thatís pretty sad, in my eyes.

Some fans are saying that this current tour is not the real Van Halen. How do you respond to that?

I had a post on my blog the other week (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/08/22/dumped-van-halen-bassist-michael-anthony-takes-the-high-road/) stating that it is what it is, and Iím not going to sit here and go, ďHey, those a-holes, going out and doing this without me.Ē I even told the fans, ďDonít judge his son, Wolfgang, too hard, because heís the innocent guy in this whole thing.Ē Iím sure heíll do fine. But as far as it being a full reunion, well, itís not. Thereís no reason for me to sit there and cry over it or whine over it. Life goes on.

Do you think Wolfgang is too young to be taking on such a huge task?

I really canít say, because Iím not around the guy a lot. He came out and did some shows in 2004, came out onstage when his dad was playing a solo, and played a little bit. Being thrown right out into big arenas, a sixteen-year-old kid, Iím sure thereís going to be a lot of possible overwhelming things that are thrown at him in that kind of a situation, plus, when they get onstage, who knows how the fans are going to react to him? Hopefully, heíll be able to work through all that.

Your backing vocals were an important part of the sound.

Mm-hmm. I guess it will be interesting. I donít know, Iím not to say how theyíre going to pull that one off, but Iím sure theyíve thought of something.

Dave and Ed were smiling and shaking hands at the press conference ó do you think itís genuine?

[Laughs] There again, I really canít tell you, because Iím not around them or know whatís going on. I can speculate, but that wouldnít really mean anything here or there. I guess the proof will be once they get out and start playing. Because once Dave gets onstage, he becomes Diamond Dave.

Did you see that they removed your image from Van Halenís first album on their Web site (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/08/15/did-van-halen-remove-michael-anthony-from-album-art-on-their-web-site/)?

Yes, I did. And that was the one thing that kind of saddened me a bit, when I was pointed to that, to see that my pictures were removed off of the first album. With Women and Children First, they took the picture off completely. I couldnít figure out what they were trying to do except for brainwash the fans into thinking I was never in the band. That bummed me out quite a bit. Iím proud of all my history with Van Halen, and maybe they feel otherwise.

You seem to be taking the high road with all this.

Iím not a spiteful person. At this point in my life, I donít need the drama. I went through that when I was in my twenties, and I donít feel like going through it again in my fifties. I just want to have fun, be able to go out onstage and play and have a good time.

Are you touring with Sammy Hagar this summer?

Yeah, weíre actually going out late October, and weíll be touring on and off until next summer. It stems from around March, when Sammy Hagar did this cruise thing with Carnival Cruise lines, where they cruise down to Cabo San Lucas. His fans pay an extra premium and his band goes on the ship, and they asked me if I wanted to come and perform one night. I didnít want to just get up with his band and do Hagar stuff, so I put this thing together and I said, ďLetís just do some old Van Halen stuff and have some fun with it and do maybe a couple other covers that we all grew up to, like some Zep or Cream.Ē So we call it the Mad Anthony Express, and we did about two hours on this ship, and the fans loved it. I said, ďHey, this is pretty cool.Ē

Do you see a day in the future where the four original Van Halen members could possibly share a stage again?

At this point, I really donít know, because I think theyíve chosen their path. They would be the ones to really ask. As far as myself, I think if the situation was right and everything was on the up and up Iíd be interested in doing it. It would definitely have to be on those terms.

LINK (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/09/04/fired-van-halen-bassist-i-found-out-on-the-internet/)

Kegboy
09-06-2007, 10:39 AM
:cry:

Many outraged fans are pledging to stay home

:wave:

Though, I'm tempted to buy the shirt. Not to wear to a concert, just to wear for the hell of it.

[edit] Also, nothing against Wolfgang, I'd be shocked if he wasn't a virtuoso, but Valerie is crazy to let her 16-year old son go on tour. Absolutely freakin' nuts.

[edit2] There, that's better.

grace
09-06-2007, 02:50 PM

Elvis' last show was here. Van Halen's might as well too.

Naptown_Seth
09-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Well I put up the bucks and still ended up as close as I was in 1984 (on the side, way up). I assume this show will be better, though I wonder if it will be less drug-free. The 1984 show was a real mess, and one thing I won't miss was the very long bass solo by Anthony.

OTOH I do agree that Anthony is getting screwed in this by Eddie, who has proven that it wasn't really Dave after all but the egomaniac Eddie that was the problem. It bugs me a lot, but I want to see Dave in that Van Halen role so I'm paying to see him basically.

My understanding with Anthony was that Eddie basically said "You can't be in two bands at once" and when Anthony played with Sammy's band Eddie said "you're out", clearly out of spite like a little b****. That ticks me off.

That interview with MA is a great read, makes me like him all the more. I didn't know about the album cover thing till reading that just a few minutes ago. That is beyond stupid, it's pretty insulting. They should be ripped for that. Almost makes me wish I hadn't gotten the tickets.

I saw the 1986 tour and liked it quite a bit too, so I'm not really anti-Van Hagar, I like both versions. But the Roth era in total was just far better for the band in terms of songs created and sound.

Anyway, I'm still expecting to get my refund when the tour crashes and burns before getting to Indy. I also strongly expect I won't get my money's worth of quality.

But having seen the Kiss reunion tour and the Police reunion tour I have 2 examples of how amazing this stuff can be. Of course in those cases I missed them originally and never forgave myself for it, so they also had that going for them. Still those shows were better than just "I finally saw them", they were great in their own right and I'd pay to have those experiences again.

avoidingtheclowns
09-18-2007, 09:33 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=80934

this site has a bunch of videos from the van halen tour rehearsals if you're interested

Peck
09-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Beautifull Girls sounded pretty kick @ss to me there.

McClintic Sphere
09-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Who is the bloated kid they have in Anthony's stead? It looks like he could use the Valerie Bertinelli diet plan.

brichard
09-18-2007, 10:55 PM
I did purchase tickets, but I made an error of which my son is none to pleased. I chose "best available", and since I bought right when tix went on sale, I assumed that for the purchase price I selected... best available would be Krieg Devault Level.

However, instead I wound up in the balcony. I'm not sure how Balcony is better than Krieg Devault unless I have a dead on look at the stage. Alas, nothing I can do about it now.

Naptown_Seth
09-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Beautifull Girls sounded pretty kick @ss to me there.
Yeah, the early reviews are really good on their open rehersals. It might just be that I'm going to get my money's worth after all, even in the balcony with BRich, and that was the mid-price level no less and right at 10 AM.

Naptown_Seth
09-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Tickets have arrived!

brichard
10-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Almost here!!!

:woot: :woot:

Naptown_Seth
10-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Great show, only 2 issues. The acoustics of Conseco still suck, at least up high where we were. And being up high just wasn't as nice as being lower or more straight on from the stage.

David was lost in the mix for us at times, but for the most part the band sounded really tight. I was surprised at how tight. Eddie was just nuts, and seemingly really inspired to be out there. Tons of energy from him.

Finally, after that ripping set my buddy and I are ready for some new studio material.

avoidingtheclowns
10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
how was wolfie?

brichard
10-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Wolfie did fine...he was uneventful, but he seemed to be having fun. His only line was "Dave, give me a break" on Unchained... which was funny. Dave is still doing those kicks, had some fun gags, and did a baton/staff spinning routine. Everybody looked and sounded great. I just love speed drum solos and that is exactly what Alex delivered.

Eddie is still Eddie. He really does rip some mean guitar solos. I for one would like to see him bury Eruption, Cathedral, and 316 and just go haywire the whole time. He does weave in a lot of good stuff in between those well known guitar themes, but I like to see him create new stuff live.

I agree about the acoustics of Conseco. I've been on the floor for Elton/Billy Joel and in the balcony for VH and the sound is horrible in both spots. When I was on the floor we got some really bad reverb off of the floor... just not a good joint to go see a show.

Dave and Eddie had lots of reconcilliation hugs, high fives, which got some of the loudest ovations from the crowd. I just can't say how nice it is to see the real Van Halen on stage again. I love Sammy, but Van Halen is David Lee Roth and that is it. The music was starting to go downhill on 1984... I'm not a huge synthesizer fan. However, I still feel like we were robbed of about 20 years of music with their feuding. Oh well... drugs and fame do that with regularity.

Bball
01-04-2008, 03:38 AM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=260_1196134979

...Um...'sposed to be played in the same key I think....