PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy on earning PT

Kegboy
08-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Granted, coach's always say this, and don't always back it up. Still, it's good to hear.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ask_the_pacers.html

http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jim_obrien.jpg Question for Jim O'Brien | Aug. 15, 2007 <HR>Q. Do you believe there are players (from the summer-league team) that will get a good portion of playing time -- for example, Andre Owens and Kareem Rush? (From Dawit in Fishers, Ind.)

A. I said this to Andre, I said this to Kareem, Stephen Graham and I'll say the same thing to Travis (Diener). They're new players on the team and playing time is earned. I have a real good feeling that Jermaine O'Neal is going to be a guy that gets a high volume of minutes. I certainly anticipate Jamaal Tinsley getting a high volume of minutes. If one of these guys like Andre Owens or Kareem or Stephen Graham can beat out older guys for playing time, so be it. A couple of years ago, I had a team that had a perennial All-Star in Glenn Robinson at the small forward spot and in training camp a rookie, Andre Iguodala, beat him out handily. So I just went with the guy I thought was going to serve the team better in that particular year. My job is to put a winning basketball team on the court. I don't care how old they are or how much they're getting paid, the guys that earn the playing time will play.

Indianapolis_girly
08-15-2007, 06:42 PM
That is good to hear right there :)
I agree.
Yay! 100th post!

Unclebuck
08-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Some of you who still aren't too sure about O'Brien - the fact that he pretty much ran Glenn Robinson out of the league should be all you need to hear.

In fact one of the biggest reasons why OB only lasted a year in Phily is because he didn't play the guys management wanted him to play

JayRedd
08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Some of you who still aren't too sure about O'Brien - the fact that he pretty much ran Glenn Robinson out of the league should be all you need to hear.

I agree somewhat.

But let's be sure to give Glenn Robinson plenty of credit for running Glenn Robinson out of the League as well. He earned the recognition.

avoidingtheclowns
08-15-2007, 07:07 PM
I agree somewhat.

But let's be sure to give Glenn Robinson plenty of credit for running Glenn Robinson out of the League as well. He earned the recognition.

the way you've run yourself off this digest you reggie apologist ;)

Cobol Sam
08-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Those statements by O'Brien have me as excited about the Pacers as I've been in a long long time.

Bball
08-15-2007, 09:21 PM

In fact one of the biggest reasons why OB only lasted a year in Phily is because he didn't play the guys management wanted him to play

Did Carlisle play the guys management wanted him to play either?

-Bball

Tom White
08-15-2007, 09:27 PM
I agree somewhat.

From his first day in the league, the only all anything team he should have made is the all stupid team. The guy had physical attributes, but nothing upstairs.

bulldog
08-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Those statements by O'Brien have me as excited about the Pacers as I've been in a long long time.

Oh come on...these kinds of statements get made by every coach, every pre-season.

The thing I am impressed with is the track record, he did run the Big Dog right out of town, although that didn't exactly turn out too well for anybody, did it?

Naptown_Seth
08-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Did Carlisle play the guys management wanted him to play either?

-Bball
Yeah, I mean he started Saras, Rawle and Baston often. Shawne the prize pick was getting 30 mpg for most of the first few months. Clearly Bird loved Jackson and demanded that Rick play him even though he didn't want to. And there was no prying Murph out of the starting lineup once they got him here.

In other words, hell no he didn't. I'm not anti-JOB, but this is just so much lip service. Rick played the guys that were most able to help the team too. And when they weren't suspended or injured they won plenty of games.

Kinda hard to play Ron suspended, Peja hurt, Quis hurt, Rawle stinking, Saras unable to bring the ball up and so on.

Get back to be when ANY coach says - "No way the youngster will play, we have vets who get their PT unless they want to take the night off and try to give me a call within 5 minutes of tip. I mean you gotta keep me in the loop.

Also, practice is optional. I'm not a big believer in fundamentals or conditioning, that stuff doesn't win games. Hustle, dirty work, role players...that's just code for 'suck' in my book. Give me a 3pt chucking prima donna with no interest in defense and I'll give you a title contender.

Curfews are going away too. I like to gamble and drink and I believe in team chemistry, so I insist that the players hit a strip club or underground dice game at least 4 times a week with me. No one in bed before 4 is my motto, play hard, work hard, err, or is it play hard, play harder. Really I don't remember, just enjoy yourself, your a millionaire now so try to act like it. Heck, I like the players to use their star power to help me score a stripper once in awhile. I can't pull 'em like I used to when I was younger, I need some quality wingmen in there."

MagicRat
08-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I mean he started Saras, Rawle and Baston often. Shawne the prize pick was getting 30 mpg for most of the first few months. Clearly Bird loved Jackson and demanded that Rick play him even though he didn't want to. And there was no prying Murph out of the starting lineup once they got him here.

In other words, hell no he didn't. I'm not anti-JOB, but this is just so much lip service. Rick played the guys that were most able to help the team too. And when they weren't suspended or injured they won plenty of games.

Kinda hard to play Ron suspended, Peja hurt, Quis hurt, Rawle stinking, Saras unable to bring the ball up and so on.

Get back to be when ANY coach says - "No way the youngster will play, we have vets who get their PT unless they want to take the night off and try to give me a call within 5 minutes of tip. I mean you gotta keep me in the loop.

Also, practice is optional. I'm not a big believer in fundamentals or conditioning, that stuff doesn't win games. Hustle, dirty work, role players...that's just code for 'suck' in my book. Give me a 3pt chucking prima donna with no interest in defense and I'll give you a title contender.

Curfews are going away too. I like to gamble and drink and I believe in team chemistry, so I insist that the players hit a strip club or underground dice game at least 4 times a week with me. No one in bed before 4 is my motto, play hard, work hard, err, or is it play hard, play harder. Really I don't remember, just enjoy yourself, your a millionaire now so try to act like it. Heck, I like the players to use their star power to help me score a stripper once in awhile. I can't pull 'em like I used to when I was younger, I need some quality wingmen in there."

Yeah, well at least Jim O'Brien has never told Reggie he should consider playing for the Celtics........

Naptown_Seth
08-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah, well at least Jim O'Brien has never told Reggie he should consider playing for the Celtics........
Now THAT I can give him credit for. That's reason enough to like the guy. If he can talk Reggie out of it he'll become my new favorite coach. ;)

Evan_The_Dude
08-15-2007, 11:14 PM

The difference is Rick didn't play the guys management wanted him to play, and we still sucked. O'Brien got his team back into the playoffs with the guys management didn't want him to play.

LoneGranger33
08-15-2007, 11:18 PM
Does this mean Troy Murphy won't play at all?

Alpolloloco
08-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Or Tinsley for that mather?

LoneGranger33
08-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Or Tinsley for that mather?

I know why you're saying that, and it's not because Tinsley is bad. You are a Sarunas fan. But that's not the reason either. It's because you have such great faith in Travis Diener. And you know what, I do too.

Peck
08-16-2007, 02:20 AM

Hey, you stole that from Slick's 69/70 speech.:-p

GrangerRanger
08-16-2007, 07:27 AM

Show me a game where Shawne even got 20 mintutes in the first few months of a game and I will possibly consider reading the rest of your post.

Cobol Sam
08-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Oh come on...these kinds of statements get made by every coach, every pre-season.

The thing I am impressed with is the track record, he did run the Big Dog right out of town, although that didn't exactly turn out too well for anybody, did it?

Seems to have turned out well for Andre.

bellisimo
08-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Show me a game where Shawne even got 20 mintutes in the first few months of a game and I will possibly consider reading the rest of your post.

if you read the rest of his post...you would understand he didn't really mean that... ;)

Kegboy
08-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Now THAT I can give him credit for. That's reason enough to like the guy. If he can talk Reggie out of it he'll become my new favorite coach. ;)

Yes, Jimmy can bad-mouth Ainge for us. Get him on the phone!

Speed
08-16-2007, 11:16 AM
If this is true, the battle for the 2 guard spot will be real interesting between M Daniels, Dunleavy, and possibly Rush being the best 3 pt shooter of that bunch.

JayRedd
08-16-2007, 11:53 AM
If this is true, the battle for the 2 guard spot will be real interesting between M Daniels, Dunleavy, and possibly Rush being the best 3 pt shooter of that bunch.

I'd be a little more happy about having guys battling for a spot if it was a position that any of the candidates both a) should be playing, and b) played it in the NBA last season.

Naptown_Seth
08-17-2007, 02:27 PM
:shakehead

Hey, you stole that from Slick's 69/70 speech.:-p:laugh:
If not him then probably some coach from that era. I mean wasn't this the Mantle/Ford/Martin Yanks philosophy, and they won WS with it.

Yes, Jimmy can bad-mouth Ainge for us. Get him on the phone!
"...and then this one time......and it smelled for days....that's when I realized how tough it is to get urine out of seude....which put a whole new meaning to What Happens in Vegas.....at least 4 different midgets.....blood soaked baseball bat....I didn't even know you could buy that much heroine.....and then all the rats ran out of the shower at the same time...."

"Hmmm, maybe I need to tell KG thanks but no thanks."

The difference is Rick didn't play the guys management wanted him to play, and we still sucked. O'Brien got his team back into the playoffs with the guys management didn't want him to play.
Wait, what? Let's see, when was the team losing badly, when Shawne, Troy, Dun were playing or when Jackson and Tinsley were playing? The team struggled with slow starts until Rick returned to Foster and put Danny on the bench. The freaking +/- we just debated showed that what killed the team most of all was the horrible results from groups like Rawle, David, Powell, McLeod, etc., not the main part of the rotation.

Before the GS trade the Pacers were, again, headed for something like a 6th seed at least. ECF, 2nd round, 1st round, probably 1st round again...this is "still sucked"? Maybe you haven't looked at JOB's entire career, it's not like his regular season OR playoff Win PCT is higher than Rick's.

JOB .535, .452 (most wins in a season, 49)
Rick .571, .484 (3 seasons at 50+ wins)