PDA

View Full Version : Roaming with the Gnome

RWB
08-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Mrs. RWB and I met with Mrs. Gnome and Roaming last night for the tour of Conseco. "Good time thanks buddy :buddies:".

Learned a few things and hopefully Gnome who is more astute will post later. Not earth shattering but the locker room did have all the new players names posted above their lockers (Diener, Rush, etc). Of note, for the time Armstrong and McLeod's name remained as well.

On a very good note the staff we talked to were very high on O'Brien as a people person. In fact this person acknowleged Rick C never spoke to them in the last 4 years and yet O'Brien has already made that effort.

In another sign that the times are a changin.....it was pointed out the Pacers game room (goodbye pool table) has been removed by O'Brien and in it's place a classroom. Me thinks the Carnival Cruise line has sunk and a battleship has taken it's place.

Hicks
08-15-2007, 10:23 AM
A classroom? They're going to bring kids into it? ;) What would that room be used for, film sessions?

RWB
08-15-2007, 12:59 PM
A classroom? They're going to bring kids into it? ;) What would that room be used for, film sessions?

Sounds like a good guess Mal. This (former game room) is adjacent to the locker room area. They have a large projector above the lockers so I'll assume that's what they normally use. The impression from the staff (off the record) was no more country club in Pacerland for the players.

Speed
08-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Good, it is their job!

hoopsforlife
08-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Does this mean JO won't be able to conduct business on his cell phone during team meetings anymore? :jawdrop:

No wonder he wants traded. :shakehead

grace
08-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Not earth shattering but the locker room did have all the new players names posted above their lockers (Diener, Rush, etc). Of note, for the time Armstrong and McLeod's name remained as well.

Samaki Walker's name was on his locker for months after he was gone.

Indianapolis_girly
08-15-2007, 06:21 PM
I got invited to that with my mom for being season ticket holders.
I just remembered that it was yesterday. :(
For whatever reason, we didn't go to it.
Dangit. I wanted to go too.

Roaming Gnome
08-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Wanna know the "Secret" weapon of Marquise Daniels and Jermaine O'neal?

Well, on the tour with RWB and both of our Mrs, we were about to enter the locker room. While being told, "No photos" we were also told that the locker room wasn't preped for the tours and we were going to see it "as is". I was kinda thinking "Yeah.....sure we are" Well, they open the doors and the locker room was pretty clean, but the locker stalls were pretty much open for anyone to see. Well, my wife notices something very familiar in Marquise's locker...Low and behold, it was a stick of "Secret" anti-perspirement. She was just tickled to death that a tough guy like a Pro-Athelete would wear something that was not very manly. Well, anyway we stop wisecracking about that and move on to J.O.'s locker stall to find it to be the only one decorated. It had a picture of his Daughter and his late step father (I believe). After scoping out his photos, kind of hidden out of the way was...Another stick of "Secret". Rough and Tough Jermaine busting out the "Secret". Just kind of thought it was kind of interesting and humorous because I wouldn't think a ball player would want to get within 10 yards of that.

I guess in the end you can say:

Secret....Strong enough for a Pacer, but made for a woman.

The tour itself was...well....a tour. I'm just glad that RWB and the Mrs. were there with us. They made it a lot of fun.

Here are some of the things that were of intrest during the tour:

the design of the entry pavilion was inspired by monument circle

There were suprisingly a lot of moans and groans when we seen the "door" to Larry Birds office.

The Detroit Piston players are as bad as some of their notable fans. They trashed the visitors locker room to the extent that the league substansially fined them on top of paying for structural damages.

As RWB mentioned, the players lounge went bye-bye....No more Pac-man, pinball or Pool.

The reason for a metal phone outside of the visitors locker room. I guess ripping the phone off the wall started to become a past time after losing here.

Vern Flemming signed over top of Reggie's autograph on the wall of fame out side the broadcast studio. I noticed Spike Lee's autograph was one of the largest on the wall.

Conseco Fieldhouse was the first arena to have an On-Site practice facility and broadcast studio in the NBA

And last but not least...I'm sure we were told more then a dozen times that Conseco Fieldhouse has been rated the #1 sporting facility in the U.S.

Indianapolis_girly
08-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Dangit.
That sounds really interesting.
Too bad we couldn't go.
I have been to a tour, but it was in 6th grade.
For a fieldtrip we went up there.
We met Reggie, I didn't know much about Reggie back then though.
Everyone went crazy when they saw him, haha.

indyman37
08-15-2007, 11:47 PM
I went on a private tour this summer for my graduation project. It was pretty cool but I never got to go into the locker rooms. There were other parts I couldn't go into because they were having meetings and it was a practice day for the Indiana/Kentucky HS game. But I did get to chill for a bit in Eli Lilly's suite. That was nice.

Trader Joe
08-16-2007, 12:33 AM
And last but not least...I'm sure we were told more then a dozen times that Conseco Fieldhouse has been rated the #1 sporting facility in the U.S.

Ya don't say? They never said that before a game ever. :rolleyes:

And by that I mean they must say it at least 8-10 times a game.

grace
08-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Wanna know the "Secret" weapon of Marquise Daniels and Jermaine O'neal?

At least now we'll have a new excuse for when the team "stinks".

RWB
08-16-2007, 02:43 PM
At least now we'll have a new excuse for when the team "stinks".

I think the guys are branching out for untapped endorsements. :D

Naptown_Seth
08-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Maybe they just let the Fever use the Pacers lockerroom instead.

RWB
08-16-2007, 02:52 PM

Good thought and logical, but unless the Fever are wearing JO's shoes and taking MSM capsules then unlikely. No, Gnome is right Marquis and JO apparently like to wear women's deoderant.

Since86
08-16-2007, 02:59 PM
I've heard a lot of guys do that. Supposedly it's supposed to be an even better anti-perspirant than men's.

ilive4sports
08-16-2007, 07:04 PM
My brother got downstairs (below the court) at Conseco when the Tour of Hope was there a few years ago. He wasnt supposed, he was just wandering around. He saw a guy shooting around and oh yea he saw someone else...who was that...oh yea it was Larry Bird. He thought my brother was riding in the tour of hope cause he had a cycling shirt on and all. So he talked to him and got his autograph. He could have went to the bathroom next to him but decided not to.

Roaming Gnome
08-16-2007, 09:13 PM

The Fever actually have their own locker room that we were not given any access to because they were "in season". On a good note....It looked like most of the players have been in practicing during the summer.

Unclebuck
08-17-2007, 09:52 PM
I still remember the first time I walked into Conseco. 1999 game against the Celtics.

Walking into the entry pavilion took my breath away. I can still vividly remember looking up and I just in awe. I just sort of stood there and a lot of emotions come over me. Thinking back to MSA and the curtains being drawn, it was just very emotional for me.

That was a very memorable night

SoupIsGood
08-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I've heard a lot of guys do that. Supposedly it's supposed to be an even better anti-perspirant than men's.

I've heard the same. Not too unusual.

Roaming Gnome
08-19-2007, 10:47 AM
I actually got an answer on the athletes and "secret". My wife asked one of her co-workers that use to play D-II basketball about Secret Deoderant. He was not suprised and told her that a number of Atheletes use it because the anti-perspirent works much better then most male brands and it doesn't clump up as easily after a hard sweat.

Naptown_Seth
08-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Good thought and logical, but unless the Fever are wearing JO's shoes and taking MSM capsules then unlikely. No, Gnome is right Marquis and JO apparently like to wear women's deoderant.
I should have put a smiley, I wasn't trying to solve the mystery. I think you guys had it right. Maybe, seriously, it's a chemical thing. (edit - appears this is the answer basically)

Sometimes these things are also used in a non-convential manner, like on their arms or something for post-fighting (like gets slippery). Sounds like its not the case here though.

Naptown_Seth
08-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I still remember the first time I walked into Conseco. 1999 game against the Celtics.

Walking into the entry pavilion took my breath away. I can still vividly remember looking up and I just in awe. I just sort of stood there and a lot of emotions come over me. Thinking back to MSA and the curtains being drawn, it was just very emotional for me.

That was a very memorable night
Being in Houston at the time I spent a fair amount of money to be there that night. Worth every penny. You couldn't be prouder of the city and the team. For most people it was their first time in the place as they only had an elite showing just the night before as I recall. As I understood it plenty of season ticket holders were also in there for the first time for the Boston game.

Peck
08-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Actually I went to the season ticket open house they had prior to the fieldhouse being opened.

It was nice and I just remember it looking so dang big.

The first time I went there for an event was the first event that the fieldhouse hosted. It was a WCW PPV and it was just bizarre to me at the time to think the Pacers were going to be playing in there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way it looks and all of the nice things it has. But it is missing the MSA (mid to late 90's) feel. It was dark, cramped, uncomfortable and hostile and I loved every min. of it.:dance:

grace
08-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Actually I went to the season ticket open house they had prior to the fieldhouse being opened.

It was nice and I just remember it looking so dang big.

The first time I went there for an event was the first event that the fieldhouse hosted. It was a WCW PPV and it was just bizarre to me at the time to think the Pacers were going to be playing in there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way it looks and all of the nice things it has. But it is missing the MSA (mid to late 90's) feel. It was dark, cramped, uncomfortable and hostile and I loved every min. of it.:dance:

I too went to the season ticket holder thing. Kegboy couldn't go because he was out of town. He threatened to do me bodily harm if I told him ANYTHING about Conseco. I did however rave about the big women's restrooms. At the first game of the year, upon his return from the men's room, Kegboy announced to the entire balcony that the men's rooms are too small. (I have to admit I take sadistic pleasure every time I see a line at the men's room. :devil: )

As for MSA had the Finals been played there instead of Conseco I'd still be standing in line either at the restroom or the concession stand.

Kegboy
08-20-2007, 09:19 AM
the men's rooms are too small.

Reason #65...

McKeyFan
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Yep.

I used Old Spice and Mennen for years, then got desperate in England last year where Secret was the only deoderant available in the nearby shops.

Now it's the only thing I use.

Naptown_Seth
08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
The opening night showcase was the day before the Celtics game. That game was the first event ever held in Conseco. The cut the ribbon that morning. Unless you remember better than the CF officials who list this in their "facts" (along with my copy of the Star from that day)

First Public Event/Pacers' Game: Indiana Pacers vs. Boston Celtics, 11/6/99; Pacers won 115-108

First Non-Basketball Sporting Event: WCW Monday Night Nitro, 11/8/99
11/5 was the first time anyone was allowed in the building at all (in terms of general public) and it was a VERY LIMITED open house. Again, I scalped into the lower section (4, row 15) among tons of season ticket holders with expensive seats and my understanding from all of them (and perhaps a story in the paper) was that many of them didn't get to come in Friday night as the official ribbon-cutting opening was Saturday afternoon.

The players first practiced on the floor just 8 days prior to that first game and details of the arena were being finished even on that opening night Saturday. All pre-season games were played in MSA that year of course.

Peck
08-20-2007, 04:26 PM
The opening night showcase was the day before the Celtics game. That game was the first event ever held in Conseco. The cut the ribbon that morning. Unless you remember better than the CF officials who list this in their "facts" (along with my copy of the Star from that day)

11/5 was the first time anyone was allowed in the building at all (in terms of general public) and it was a VERY LIMITED open house. Again, I scalped into the lower section (4, row 15) among tons of season ticket holders with expensive seats and my understanding from all of them (and perhaps a story in the paper) was that many of them didn't get to come in Friday night as the official ribbon-cutting opening was Saturday afternoon.

The players first practiced on the floor just 8 days prior to that first game and details of the arena were being finished even on that opening night Saturday. All pre-season games were played in MSA that year of course.

Well actually I was there on the 11/5 date as well as several other people. I was also at the Boston game but I thought the WCW match was before that but I won't claim my memory was right there.

Naptown_Seth
08-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Well actually I was there on the 11/5 date as well as several other people. I was also at the Boston game but I thought the WCW match was before that but I won't claim my memory was right there.
It's the meds. ;)

I know people were there the night before, I couldn't find my copy of the Star discussing that event, only found the ribbon cutting thing and my Friday Star stuff, but I also know it was very limited. Doesn't mean you weren't there (obviously), just that plenty of regular attending fans weren't.

For the most part that Boston game was the first time anyone had seen the place.

Unfortunately I was on my first fairly crappy PnShoot digital camera back then...
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l8/Naptown_Seth/PD_general/FirsttipoffinConseco.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l8/Naptown_Seth/PD_general/DaleshootsFT.jpg

It was because of this game (the cost) that I couldn't afford the face value front row center court seat at the Summit a few weeks later that showed up on Ticketmaster. I wouldn't trade that night, but dang, road game front row center face value in your Pacers colors? That doesn't come along too often (in my experience).

JayRedd
08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l8/Naptown_Seth/PD_general/FirsttipoffinConseco.jpg

Look at that starting lineup: Reggie, Jalen, Mark, Rik and Dale. How far we've fallen. :cry:

rexnom
08-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Look at that starting lineup: Reggie, Jalen, Mark, Rik and Dale. How far we've fallen. :cry::cry: