PDA

View Full Version : Does silence mean big Bulls trade on horizon?

pwee31
08-14-2007, 01:16 PM
JO mentioned

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_23025.shtml

By Joel Brigham
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Aug 14, 2007, 08:23

The most exciting thing in professional sports is when a marquee players changes teams. For example, what news this offseason has been bigger than Boston’s acquisition of Kevin Garnett? Early last season every NBA fan on the globe spent countless hours reading about potential destinations for Allen Iverson. Even the more recent trades involving Ray Allen, Jason Richardson, and Zach Randolph garnered enough interest to power about 100 straight hours of TV analysis about the deals.

Yet fans still want more big moves, and we in the Chicago media can’t help but to prod the ol’ cow. Or Bull, if you will.

And that’s where big names like Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol keep showing up. Chicago is perhaps the deepest team in the league, going a legitimate two players deep at nearly every position, and a majority of those promising guys are in their low-to-mid twenties and relatively inexpensive. This is why the Bulls are continually mentioned as the team in the best position to make the next big deal.

The problem is that Chicago has shown nothing but reluctance in making so huge a transaction. Bulls GM John Paxson is a known conservative on the trading front and has shown a strong commitment to retaining the core he put together in the post-Krause era. He’s concerned about maintaining what he’s worked so hard to build, but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t take a superstar at a bargain price. He’s just not giving up 80% of his promising core for Kobe.

He’s also probably not snagging Gasol, who seems more and more content with the moves new Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace has made in Memphis over the offseason, perhaps most notably by adding Gasol’s good buddy Juan Carlos Navarro.

So with those two big names out of the picture, who’s left?

How about Jermaine O’Neal?

Teams are constructed to win championships, and with Ben Wallace only getting older, would it be impossible to envision Chicago putting a package together for one of the league’s best big men? His contract is similarly large as Kobe’s, but the amount of talent—salary aside—needed to consummate a deal for O’Neal would be considerably less than what it would take to get the game’s best out of Los Angeles.

Couldn’t the Bulls trump offers by L.A. and New Jersey for the Pacers’ star? With Indiana looking to rebuild, would a package centering around Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, and/or Chris Duhon be so horrible? Joe Smith and Joakim Noah could serve as interchangeable parts as well. Why wouldn’t either team want to do this?

It wasn’t long ago that Sports Illustrated ran a photoshopped image of Jermaine in a Bulls uniform, yet the rumors of O’Neal to the Windy City seem to have faded over the last year or two. The Bulls have done business with Indiana before—most notably in a deal that sent Ron Artest and Brad Miller to Indy for Jalen Rose—so it’s not like the two organizations are against making an inter-divisional trade.

It’s not that the Bulls necessarily need to make a move; in fact they’re a favorite in the East as they are. But what’s to stop them from becoming a dark horse in the Jermaine Sweepstakes and really solidifying themselves as an immediate championship contender? It’s been such an exciting summer already; why not add one more cherry to the top of the sundae?

Newslines
Sam Smith, Chicago Tribune - Hinrich was a somewhat reluctant participant from the beginning, and USA Basketball announced Monday that he was leaving the team, which begins training for the FIBA Tournament of the Americas on Wednesday in Las Vegas. Also withdrawing were Shane Battier and Greg Oden. More.

ToTheAtom
08-14-2007, 01:31 PM
yes, please....

but i don't see a way to make the salaries work without including nocioni, who's a small forward with a large contract.

LG33
08-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, and/or Chris Duhon

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Anthem
08-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Not even close to enough.

LG33
08-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Not even close to enough.

That's an awfully kind way of putting it. In my mind, it's an insult to Jermaine O'Neal and Pacer fans everywhere.

Unclebuck
08-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Quality for quantity is never a good idea

blanket
08-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Nocioni can't be traded until Dec or Jan anyway, right? And besides, he'd be difficult to trade at that point being BYC.

Diamond Dave
08-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Oh they definitely have talent worth pursuing. Give me Chris Duhon, Tyrus Thomas, Joe Smith, and 1st round pick.

Would they crush this year, yeah, but they were most likely going to do that anyway. But I'd actually be excited about the next few seasons, something that I haven't done in a while.

Trader Joe
08-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, and/or Chris Duhon

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Yeah this trade is pretty atrocius. Especially considering that Danny is better than Nocioni anyways. And Ty Thomas is far from a sure thing. Thabo and Duhon? Filler at best. Definetely should not be this important to a JO deal. If the Bulls wanna get JO they have to call us up offering Gordon or if they are really feeling generous Hinrich.

Roy Munson
08-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Quality for quantity is never a good idea

Unless the "Quality" is extremely overrated, aging, injury-prone, and overpaid.

Slick Pinkham
08-14-2007, 02:05 PM
No Ben Gordon, then no further discussions. Gordon or Hinrich would have to be the main piece, with Noah or Thomas.

But Ben Wallace would have to be involved to match salaries, so I say...

NO THANKS!

JayRedd
08-14-2007, 02:11 PM
They won't include Luol or Heinrich and I'm not interested in anything else on their roster.

Nope.

CableKC
08-14-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm waiting for Grace to respond...but I'm guessing that his eyes are bleeding right now after reading that. ;)

bellisimo
08-14-2007, 02:17 PM
The silence means the horse is dead...stop beating it. :)

MagicRat
08-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm waiting for Grace to respond...but I'm guessing that his eyes are bleeding right now after reading that. ;)

Yeah, hopefully he doesn't come in here and read it. He doesn't deserve to have that kind of pain inflicted on him........

Anthem
08-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Grace is a girl.

Seriously, I'd rather have Bynum and JC Superstar than that crap. Talk about a homer trade.

grace
08-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Grace is a girl.

I'm glad somebody noticed.

My eyes might bleed if I thought there was a chance in hell of anything happening.

JayRedd
08-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Grace is a girl.

So is LoneGranger.

count55
08-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I don't see the Bulls wanting to add the salary.

On a separate note...MagicRat, just randomly, Jungleland just started playing on my iPod (it's on shuffle...isn't that a co inky dink?)

Peck
08-14-2007, 02:51 PM
It is the second Tuesday of the month, right? Well that means that it must be time for Sam to sling poo against the wall to see if it sticks.

While I gladly advocate moving O'Neal, if we talk to the Bulls and the names Hinrich or Gordon are not involved then no thanks.

Although to be honest I would prefer this crap trade to the N.J. trade.

bulldog
08-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Couldn’t the Bulls trump offers by L.A. and New Jersey for the Pacers’ star? With Indiana looking to rebuild, would a package centering around Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Thabo Sefolosha, and/or Chris Duhon be so horrible? Joe Smith and Joakim Noah could serve as interchangeable parts as well. Why wouldn’t either team want to do this?

And what if I concoted a trade that made absolutely no sense for either team? And what if I wrote every question in a whole paragraph as a question?

Hicks
08-14-2007, 03:08 PM
A) It's a columnest

B) It's his "what if"

C) It's Hoopsworld

I'm amazed this thread has so many replies. I guess it's because of how dead things are right now.

Tom White
08-14-2007, 03:16 PM
So is LoneGranger.

...and the jury is still out on Joakim Noah.

LG33
08-14-2007, 03:28 PM
So is LoneGranger.

I will not stoop to your level, that is, the level of an disgruntled, sissy dwarf.

Seed
08-14-2007, 03:54 PM
I will not stoop to your level, that is, the level of an disgruntled, sissy dwarf.
Jamaal Tinsley is the topic of another thread.

Kegboy
08-14-2007, 04:07 PM
I find it interesting that everyone is so quick to dismiss Thomas, yet Bynum becoming a star is a forgone conclusion for so many. This trade is significantly better than Bynum and crap IMO.

Hicks is right, though. The second I read Hoopsworld I knew not to take it seriously. However, a small part of me would like to get Noah just to see Shade's head explode. :devil:

CableKC
08-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Grace is a girl.
I haven't met Grace.....are you speaking literally?

or

Are you speaking figuritively?

:confused::confused::confused:

Kegboy
08-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I haven't met Grace.....are you speaking literally?

or

Grace is my sister.

JayRedd
08-14-2007, 04:23 PM

I was only speaking figuratively, though.

The operation isn't for a few more weeks.

Will Galen
08-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Grace is my sister.

Yep and she's the REAL Kegboy in the family!

She won the title of best Keyboy on here two years ago.

He won the title back last year, but only because we felt sorry for him!

grace
08-14-2007, 04:59 PM
I haven't met Grace.....

I take it you don't look at the pictures from the forum parties.

rexnom
08-14-2007, 05:03 PM
In terms of sissy dwarfs...

Saras is the topic of another thread.
Fixed.

edc
08-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Ben Gordon, Joakim Noah and players to match salaries (Ty Thomas...etc)...... :signit:

bellisimo
08-14-2007, 05:25 PM
I take it you don't look at the pictures from the forum parties.

where can we find 'em? :cool:

wintermute
08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
No Ben Gordon, then no further discussions. Gordon or Hinrich would have to be the main piece, with Noah or Thomas.

But Ben Wallace would have to be involved to match salaries, so I say...

NO THANKS!

combinations including nocioni and joe smith also work, but they can't be traded until dec 15. so you're right, if we're talking about an off-season trade, then big ben will have to be involved.

this whole thing is just some fan speculation, but anyway it's summer :shrug:

Naptown_Seth
08-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Grace is my sister.
She tells it differently, she says you are her sister instead.

BAM! I can't let Redd/LG have all the boring August fun.

BTW, I'm so with Shade's avitar, I want the JO horse dead, buried and never spoken of again. Let's just play ball already, I'm willing to see how this goes for now. If it fails then obviously it's rebuild full on time and JO has to be moved. I'd just like to actually reach that point first.

naptownmenace
08-15-2007, 09:41 AM
It is the second Tuesday of the month, right? Well that means that it must be time for Sam to sling poo against the wall to see if it sticks.

While I gladly advocate moving O'Neal, if we talk to the Bulls and the names Hinrich or Gordon are not involved then no thanks.

Although to be honest I would prefer this crap trade to the N.J. trade.

Sam Smith has had a man-crush on JO since he won the MIP award. Every other month he makes up a trade, without even checking to see if it would work salary-wise. It's lazy, homeristic journalism at it's worse.

LG33
08-15-2007, 11:10 AM
I find it interesting that everyone is so quick to dismiss Thomas, yet Bynum becoming a star is a forgone conclusion for so many. This trade is significantly better than Bynum and crap IMO.

I like Ty Thomas, but not at the expense of JO. Nocioni = crap. Duhon = backup. Thabo Sefolosha = why?

I'd like deal that begins with Duhon, Thomas, and Gordon - otherwise, I'm not a fan.

Oneal07
08-15-2007, 02:50 PM
"With Indiana looking to rebuild"

After I seen that, it's all speculation cause PAcers haven't said such things

grace
08-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Nocioni = crap.

If he hadn't gotten hurt last year I'd say those were fightin' words. :box:

Kegboy
08-15-2007, 03:24 PM
I like Ty Thomas, but not at the expense of JO. Nocioni = crap. Duhon = backup. Thabo Sefolosha = why?

I'd like deal that begins with Duhon, Thomas, and Gordon - otherwise, I'm not a fan.

Noc is crap, but Diener is all that? You need a lobotomy.

ChicagoJ
08-15-2007, 03:55 PM
No kidding, if we do a deal with the Bulls, getting Nocioni is a MUST.

LG33
08-15-2007, 05:20 PM
He's 28 (Jermaine is 29) and he's a hustle player - I think he's hit his ceiling, or close to it. He almost averaged 14 and 6 this past year. Plus, we already have MD, DG, and SW at that position (At 6"7', I don't feel comfortable with him at PF). If we trade Jermaine, then we are rebuilding - why would we rebuild with him? It's not that he sucks, I shouldn't have said he was crap, but he isn't any good for our team. The only thing he has is a higher contract, which we need to make deals.

Trader Joe
08-15-2007, 05:24 PM
He's 28 (Jermaine is 29) and he's a hustle player - I think he's hit his ceiling, or close to it. He almost averaged 14 and 6 this past year. Plus, we already have MD, DG, and SW at that position (At 6"7', I don't feel comfortable with him at PF). If we trade Jermaine, then we are rebuilding - why would we rebuild with him? It's not that he sucks, I shouldn't have said he was crap, but he isn't any good for our team. The only thing he has is a higher contract, which we need to make deals.

I agree with LG33 on this. Nocioni is what he is. With Granger already on the roster getting Nocioni is pretty pointless IMO.

grace
08-15-2007, 05:32 PM
For what it's worth Noc's numbers were altered by injury.

ChicagoJ
08-15-2007, 06:10 PM
He's not better than Granger, but he's better than just about every other forward we've got.

Since the "3" and "4" will be interchangeable under O'Brien, I'd have no qualms with starting him at the 4.

For those that don't like Murphy's softness, Noc would be crowd's favorite.

Kegboy
08-15-2007, 06:24 PM
He's not better than Granger, but he's better than just about every other forward we've got.

Since the "3" and "4" will be interchangeable under O'Brien, I'd have no qualms with starting him at the 4.

For those that don't like Murphy's softness, Noc would be crowd's favorite.

He started a fair number of games at the 4 for Chicago.