PDA

View Full Version : Nice read about Rush

pianoman
08-13-2007, 11:44 PM
in the book "The Last Season" by Phil Jackson, it talks about the Minny vs LA game 7. this is what Phil Jackson has to say about Kareem "I am very proud of Kareem, In practice he went all out during 3 on 3 matches." " I played him extensive minutes in the 4'th for that exact reason but 2 questions still remained, 1. will he make the big shots, and 2. will he get the calls." "he is the second most athletic guy under Kobe on this team" (which i remind you had Gary Payton). It mentions that at first he didn't take basketball seriously and that his brother (former UCLA star JaRon Rush who failed to make it into the league) lived in his house and started to distract him. Hopefully that is over with. I like Kareem and I hope he learned some things from Kobe. I expect him to be playing in clutch situations. I hope to see some good dunks too. Does anyone else think he might become a starter by the all star break??
Or will he be the underachiever who got waived by Charolette??

rexnom
08-13-2007, 11:49 PM
I actually have high hopes for Kareem. Maybe I shouldn't. I don't know. I have just always loved the guy. This is definitely the ideal fit for him. I don't know on how many other teams he could legitimately start right now but here it's a definite possibility and he's in a very shooter-friendly offense. There's no reason why he won't be able to average at least double-figures this year.

Doddage
08-14-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm glad we signed him... I would imagine after quite a bit of time of not being in the league, he's humbled a little bit and will look to make an impression being on this team.

Bball
08-14-2007, 01:04 AM
I thought this thread was about Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart! ;)

-Bball

denyfizle
08-14-2007, 01:08 AM
It really wouldn't matter. If he sucks he gets cut after this season. If he excels then he jumps ship. I am simply not a fan of short-term stop gap players unless you are contending. That's just me.

Bball
08-14-2007, 01:13 AM
It might not be all that big of an achievement for Kareem to reach starter status for the Pacers this season by the All Star break.

When you look at the depth chart, plus consider injury history in front of him, and then realize we could also be experimenting due to the team looking for a spark... it's just not that big of a leap having him potentially reach the starting 5.

-Bball

rexnom
08-14-2007, 01:21 AM
It really wouldn't matter. If he sucks he gets cut after this season. If he excels then he jumps ship. I am simply not a fan of short-term stop gap players unless you are contending. That's just me.
I kind of wish that we would have signed for three years with a team option or something similar.

denyfizle
08-14-2007, 01:34 AM
I kind of wish that we would have signed for three years with a team option or something similar.

i agree... that's why i am not all that thrilled with the Diener signing either. if we're going to invest on these kids, might as well set it up to work for us... unless of course they're just temporary stop gap measures. to me that's a waste of time unless you are contending. just look at Maceo.

rexnom
08-14-2007, 01:37 AM
i agree... that's why i am not all that thrilled with the Diener signing either. if we're going to invest on these kids, might as well set it up to work for us... unless of course they're just temporary stop gap measures. to me that's a waste of time unless you are contending. just look at Maceo.
Well, I feel like we kind of let Baston go. Even the Diener signing is not bad...though you kind of wish that last year wasn't player option...

Eindar
08-14-2007, 02:30 AM
C'mon guys, I don't think we'd be happy with Rush's contract either way. A lot of people were ****ed at the signing anyway, could you imagine the reaction of "Kareem Rush signs three-year deal with Indiana Pacers"?

I think the problem is with the way Bird Rights are established, not neccessarily the signing itself. I think Bird Rights should start at season one, especially since they restructured how long the deals are. 3 years for Bird Rights isn't long when guys are regularly signing 7-year deals. When most guys are getting 4-5 year deals, committing 3 to a guy who might be a bust is a huge risk.

Back on topic, however, I think Rush can have an impact. If we're struggling to hit those wide-open threes, I think he can even start. I suppose it just depends on how Tinsley and Daniels are going to be utilized.

HOOPFANATIC
08-14-2007, 08:10 AM
I have high hopes for Kareem. I actually wished the Pacers would have drafted him. He could have benefited greatly playing behind Reg for a few years, and Freddy didn't have his size. I know he was a top scorer for the Bobcats so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him become a 10-15pt scorer right away.

Kegboy
08-14-2007, 08:36 AM
:booprivatepoll:

Speed
08-14-2007, 09:58 AM
One thing Rush has going for him is that he is the only true pure shooting guard/2 on the squad.

ChicagoJ
08-14-2007, 10:28 AM
One thing Rush has going for him is that he is the only true pure shooting guard/2 on the squad.

I expect him to start, but play less than 30 mpg, for that very reason. He may be a good on-court compliment to JO, which is more important than the so-called negatives.

LoneGranger33
08-14-2007, 10:32 AM
I thought this thread was about Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart! ;)

-Bball

Well, that would have been sweet. But I'd rather listen to them than read about them. Greatest Canadian rock band ever!

avoidingtheclowns
08-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Well, that would have been sweet. But I'd rather listen to them than read about them. Greatest Canadian rock band ever!

Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmmaybe you forgot about these guys...

hb5_WhhpweY

NuffSaid
08-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Will Rush get the starting 2-Guard role? Well, that all depends on if mgmt pushes the "pay scale" angle over talent or vice versa.

I expect JOB will take a real hard look at player's skills and try to determine which players work well together and which do not per his offensive scheme. Kinda goes w/o saying, but sometimes as fans we tend to want what we want and not see the big overall picture, i.e., I know there are 5 very good players on the roster, but do they work well together? And even if they do, are they doing what I want them to do as a team (unit of 5)?

My philosophy is simple: If you have 5 very good "position" players and they buy into your system, those five get to represent the team as starters. Still, it takes time to properly evaluate that talent and determine if that unit cohensiveness is truly there.

Do I expect Rush will be a starter? It's very possible, but I suspect MDjr will get the knod first w/Quis coming off the bench and Rush getting those clutch minutes to close the half and/or the 4th. Is that ideal for him? No, but unless MDjr doesn't come through o Quis sustains yet another injury, I don't see him being a starter just yet...just a clutch shooter at this point which would serve the team very well.

NapTonius Monk
08-14-2007, 12:24 PM
:booprivatepoll:

HOORAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!

LoneGranger33
08-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmmaybe you forgot about these guys...

LOL, certainly not. I guess some people like The Guess Who, but not me.

bellisimo
08-14-2007, 06:07 PM

come on...where is the love for....

NKsQe31ApMs

JayRedd
08-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Greatest Canadian rock band ever!

Ummm....No.

http://images.hugi.is/gulloldin/116336.jpg

MagicRat
08-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Ummm....No.

http://images.hugi.is/gulloldin/116336.jpg

Mega-dittos to that post.......

Bball
08-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Triumph...

-Bball

Evan_The_Dude
08-14-2007, 11:32 PM
I'd like to see Daniels and Rush play their butts off all season long to earn each others minutes.

LoneGranger33
08-14-2007, 11:51 PM
"The Band" sucks. For one, you have to be pretentious ******** just to call yourself "The Band" - like you are the one and only. Secondly, and some would say most importantly, they're Canadian-AMERICAN, not citizens of Canada, from Canada like the members of Rush. Lastly, the first CD I ever obtained was a Christmas gift from my dad, and it was "The Best of The Band" - I had never heard of them (I was 11) and, needless to say, I was far from pleased.

MagicRat
08-15-2007, 12:02 AM
"The Band" sucks. For one, you have to be pretentious ******** just to call yourself "The Band" - like you are the one and only. Secondly, and some would say most importantly, they're Canadian-AMERICAN, not citizens of Canada, from Canada like the members of Rush. Lastly, the first CD I ever obtained was a Christmas gift from my dad, and it was "The Best of The Band" - I had never heard of them (I was 11) and, needless to say, I was far from pleased.

What kind of parents would buy an 11 year old girl "The Best of the Band?" Good ones, I reckon.......

LoneGranger33
08-15-2007, 12:09 AM
What kind of parents would buy an 11 year old girl "The Best of the Band?" Good ones, I reckon.......

Wow, you really don't know me. I was still a boy back then.

But you guys can't really argue that "The Band" is better than Rush.

The Spirit of Radio > The Weight
Tom Sawyer > The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down
Limelight > Up on Cripple Creek

Bball
08-15-2007, 12:44 AM
"The Band" sucks. For one, you have to be pretentious ******** just to call yourself "The Band" - like you are the one and only.

Or else made up of indecisive musicians who couldn't settle on a name but at least had a sense of humor about it.

Secondly, and some would say most importantly, they're Canadian-AMERICAN, not citizens of Canada,

Until this thread, I had no idea The Band had any connection to Canada at all. ...Learn something new every day I guess...

from Canada like the members of Rush. Lastly, the first CD I ever obtained was a Christmas gift from my dad, and it was "The Best of The Band" - I had never heard of them (I was 11) and, needless to say, I was far from pleased.

I can respect The Band so I'm not going to say they suck just because they do or do not resonate with me. I can appreciate they are a good band.... but if I had my druthers I'd always choose Rush over The Band if I'm popping CD's into the player.

There are certainly cases where a popular (or once popular) group DO suck and just 'made it' more due to timing, hype, luck, the stars aligning, etc rather than talent. But more often than not, there is talent involved and so it's more a 'to each his own' scenario rather than some group 'sucking' while some other group is 'greater'.

Now, that said, can we talk about Neil Young?

-Bball

Infinite MAN_force
08-15-2007, 12:59 AM
I feel as long as Rush has no attitude issues, he is a starting caliber SG in this leauge. He is a pure shooter who can drain three pointers. As long as he can be consistent and not be a defensive liability (he should be better than dun at defending SGs if only because he is more suited due to his skill set/speed etc...). It all depends on how much effort he will put in, as we all know he can shoot.

I personally believe he will have a great season and I really hope we can sign him again next year if Im right, it seems he has becomed humbled through his experiences being out of the leauge and what not. He seems to want to play here, after all he expected to be drafted here and was ****ed that we passed him up. Hopefully he sticks around.

rexnom
08-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Um...if we're expanding to artists, can I bring up Nelly Furtado for us younger generation man-types?

JayRedd
08-15-2007, 01:44 AM

But you guys can't really argue that "The Band" is better than Rush.

The Spirit of Radio > The Weight
Tom Sawyer > The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down
Limelight > Up on Cripple Creek

Given your general gregarious, shenanigan-fostering demeanor, I'm gonna assume all this is in jest.

Otherwise, you're just nuts.

Cripple Creek, The Weight and Dixie are obviously great, but pretty much all of Big Pink, Cahoots and the self titled are beyond words good. These guys (four Canadians and one American) are so far ahead of most all bands in existence --- let alone Rush --- that it's comical. Tracks like Chest Fever, 4% Pantomime, Unfaithful Servant, King Harvest, Whispering Pines, The Shape I'm In and literally dozens of others are AMAZING.

Please, oh, please watch The Last Waltz if you haven't.

MagicRat
08-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Still no mention of Seventh Son? Disappointing.........

http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/canadaseventhson.jpg

RWB
08-15-2007, 08:25 AM
I take it LG33 won't be picking up The Last Waltz anytime soon. Someday when the HD/Blu-Ray fight is over that'll be the first disc I pick up.

LoneGranger33
08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Ok, I actually don't mind The Band, but I think Rush gets slighted too often to count. Like I said, I still have The Best of the Band in my CD collection, even if it's not in the regular rotation.

So take a load off...Fanny.

JayRedd
08-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Honestly, I really don't even know anything about Rush. Just being a zealot for the being a zealot's sake.

ChicagoJ
08-15-2007, 02:14 PM
This is the time of year I pull out one of my favorite songs and listen to over and over.

I turn my back to the wind
To catch my breath,
Before I start off again
Driven on,
Without a moment to spend
To pass an evening
With a drink and a friend

I let my skin get too thin
I'd like to pause,
No matter what I pretend
Like some pilgrim
Who learns to transcend
Learns to live
As if each step was the end

Time stand still
I'm not looking back
But I want to look around me now
Time stand still
See more of the people
And the places that surround me now
Time stand still

Freeze this moment
A little bit longer
Make each sensation
A little bit stronger
Experience slips away...
Experience slips away...
Time stand still

I turn my face to the sun
I close my eyes
I let my defenses down
All those wounds
That I can't get unwound

I let my past go too fast
No time to pause
If I could slow it all down
Like some captain,
Whose ship runs aground
I can wait until the tide comes around

Time stand still
I'm not looking back
Time stand still
See more of the people
And the places that surround me
Now

Freeze this moment
A little bit longer
Make each sensation
A little bit stronger

Make each impression
A little bit stronger
Freeze this motion
A little bit longer

The innocence slips away...
Time stand still
Time stand still

I'm not looking back
See more of the people
And the places that surround me now
Time stand still

Summer's going fast
Nights growing colder
Children growing up
Old friends growing older

Freeze this moment
A little bit longer
Make each sensation
A little bit stronger
Experience slips away...
Experience slips away...

Rush is very underrated today, very overrated 20 years ago. And yes, I've seen them at Deer Creek and MSA a number of times - especially during the "No E Street Band" era. Time Stand Still not only rocks, but is one of the few truly "permanent" songs.

Kareem Rush has big shoes to fill.

(And for just for Btown), Rush wouldn't sound the same with the Big Man on saxaphone; Kareem Rush doesn't need a Big Man coach, either.

sweabs
08-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Give me The Tragically Hip any day. And I'm willing to bet millions of Canadians agree.

Go, Kareem Rush.

Indianapolis_girly
08-15-2007, 06:36 PM
It's good to hear that he's a hard worker.
:) You can never have too many hard workers in the NBA.