PDA

View Full Version : Total Rehaul of PD's Roster Section [Updated!] (feedback appreciated!)

Hicks
08-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Hello all. I've put some time in to creating a Roster section for PD that isn't just a clone of the one on Pacers.com. I've tried to integrate certain information from nba.com, espn.com, and hoopshype.com to make a sort of "best of" version of the players' profiles. Some are incomplete because the source material was incomplete.

I know some of the text can get harder to read, but I wanted to make sure all the information fit on on screen. Speaking of which, as you will see it's designed for a screen resolution of 1024x768 or higher.

The link is "Roster Section" located at the top of this page (between Links & Forums [which I'm working on updating as well and will be back soon] and Pacers History).

Trader Joe
08-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Very cool.

JayRedd
08-12-2007, 03:01 PM
It would be nice to have a table with career stats if that's not waaay too much work. I prefer the Yahoo! Sports model.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3120/career;_ylt=Ai7JmzOat6PghQqRHGpwjxqkvLYF

And FYI...your "dbBasketball" link should probably be changed to "Bball-Ref" or something.

LoneGranger33
08-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Very nice. Thanks!

Hicks
08-12-2007, 03:35 PM
It would be nice to have a table with career stats if that's not waaay too much work. I prefer the Yahoo! Sports model.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3120/career;_ylt=Ai7JmzOat6PghQqRHGpwjxqkvLYF

And FYI...your "dbBasketball" link should probably be changed to "Bball-Ref" or something.

I could never fit that in with how I've done it, but if I go in another direction that may be a possibility. In the meantime, I specifically included links to each player's profile on nba.com, espn.com, and hoopshype.com so you could get all the extra stuff you want in one click.

As for "dbBasketball", they were calling themselves "Database Basketball" when I put the link up. I'll change it now that they have changed back to Basketball Reference.

*edit* Actually, what I could do easily right now is add a link to each player's page that goes directly to their yahoo.com career stats page. Would you like that for now?

JayRedd
08-12-2007, 03:47 PM
*edit* Actually, what I could do easily right now is add a link to each player's page that goes directly to their yahoo.com career stats page. Would you like that for now?

I honestly don't really use the links, so it's not that important either way to me which sites are linked to. I was just tryna suggest something that might be useful without much knowledge of how making tables on the internets works.

Great work regardless and thanks.

Hicks
08-12-2007, 03:54 PM
The more I'm looking things over, and considering JayRedd's comments, this is clearly not a finished product. I'll keep playing with it and I'll post an update when I have something worth reporting. Thanks guys!

Hicks
08-12-2007, 05:49 PM
OK guys, I have a new working template that I think you will agree once you see it is MUCH better than the one currently posted.

It's easier to read, contains more information (including a table with career stats right on the page), and is scrollable.

I have to stop now, but when I return home later tonight I will continue my work and will have this new version up late tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Wu-Gambino
08-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Mal, I have a question pertaining to the schedule. Could you change it to a color coordinated schedule instead of an all blue one? I made an example, unfortunately, the urls for the logos aren't working. Also, I forgot to add all black lines so the away games are running together:
http://ee.1asphost.com/indyarchitecture/view.php.htm

Major Cold
08-12-2007, 08:26 PM
now all i have to do is go to Pacersdigest.com to get my Pacer knowledge

Hicks
08-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Mal, I have a question pertaining to the schedule. Could you change it to a color coordinated schedule instead of an all blue one? I made an example, unfortunately, the urls for the logos aren't working. Also, I forgot to add all black lines so the away games are running together:
http://ee.1asphost.com/indyarchitecture/view.php.htm

I should be able to do something like that.

rexnom
08-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Mal...you are so awesome.
/man crush

Translation: I like the roster section.

Trader Joe
08-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah the roster section is really cool. Makes my Pacers info a lot easier to get a hold of.

pacerfreak
08-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Your hard work is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hicks
08-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Version 2.0 is 99% finished. I just have one formatting issue to resolve before I'm ready to put it online!

Hicks
08-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Version 2.0 is here! Click the link at the top. I think this is much better. Once again, I would really appreciate feedback! Thanks.

CableKC
08-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Good job Mal.....it very purdy.

Is there anyway to include the year that corresponds with the salary owed for that season?

sweabs
08-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Looks great; thanks.

Hicks
08-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Good job Mal.....it very purdy.

Is there anyway to include the year that corresponds with the salary owed for that season?

Done. :) Version 2.1? ;)

avoidingtheclowns
08-13-2007, 12:30 AM
is there a way to have the info translated to esperanto? i think it would truly enhance the info and presentation...

actually, thanks for the great work!

LoneGranger33
08-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Wow, Danny better grab him some rebounds next year.

Great work Hicks.

mcampbellarch
08-13-2007, 01:20 AM
very cool, thanks

cramerica
08-13-2007, 01:41 AM
Amalgamates is a big word.

Good work Hicks...

JayRedd
08-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Looks great. Thanks.

FlavaDave
08-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Nice work. Thanks.

The only suggestion I can think of is including per-35/per-48 stats.

Hicks
08-13-2007, 10:16 AM
If you can provide the numbers (or a link), I might be able to.

Speed
08-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Now I can see the words, not a gifted athelete for a bunch of the Pacers, all in one place. Jeez!!

Nice job, though.

Hicks
08-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Mile Square,

I am in the process of creating an updated calendar that will look very similar to the one you showed me before. I'll post here when it's done. :)

Bball
08-13-2007, 12:45 PM
I like it.

After perusing the stats and bios I am worried about Diener. He's older than I thought, even though he looks good for his age, but will likely have cardio issues running the point. I'm worried about heart issues in general for him now. I doubt his hips hold out to the running and jumping stresses of the game.

-Bball

Trader Joe
08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Here is a link to a site that has per-40 stats for players
http://www.basketball-reference.com/

Basketball Reference.com just enter the player's name in the search function and it will take you right to their page.

BobbyMac
08-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Nice job....whole site is very nice....thanks for the hard work!!!

Speed
08-13-2007, 01:27 PM
I like it.

After perusing the stats and bios I am worried about Diener. He's older than I thought, -Bball

What 13?

Bball
08-13-2007, 01:52 PM
What 13?

No, he's 225 years old. I read it in his bio in the roster section. He doesn't look it though ;)

-Bball

Speed
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
No, he's 225 years old. I read it in his bio in the roster section. He doesn't look it though ;)

-Bball

Oh, he's almost as old as Darryl Armstrong.

Hicks
08-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Fixed. :-p

NuffSaid
08-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Mal/Hicks,

First off, great job on the Pacers Roster site. I have a few suggestions:

1) Player sections - Can you trim some of the space in between each player's info section? There seems to be a fast ocean of blue in between each player's info. I have my resolution set at the prescribed setting, however, I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is intensional or a hick-up (no pun intended) on my part.

2) Data Sections - The data from ESPN seems to be blending over into the HoopsHype data section. Perhaps and increase in the spacing between both columns would make the information more easier to read column-by-column. (Edit: Maybe a fix to the column spacing here is to reduce the font size; make it the same as that for the player info along side their photos.)

3) Career Stats - JayRedd's suggestion of putting the career stats in a table format is a good idea, IMO. It would make reading the information a lot easier. The "columns" could use more spacing.

4) Instead of one long webpage, could you add links by player names at the top of the page? This way if you're looking for info on JO for example, you don't have to scroll all the way down the page just to get to his info.

5) Minor suggestion here...what do you think of changing the background color for the "Career Stats" header from light-blue to gold...kinda staying with a Pacers' Blue and Gold theme? (Just a thought...it would make that section stand out more.)

Again, great job!

Hicks
08-13-2007, 06:28 PM
1) The page is purposefully designed to space like that between each player. I didn't want to allow scrolling at all, but I wanted to have room to display as much data as I am without shrinking all of the text. It's not meant to be scrolled, rather it's meant to be used with the menu taking you from player to player.

2) Can you make a screen shot to show me what you're seeing?

3) It is in a table; I just chose not to show the borders.

4) I'm not sure why you don't see it, but there is a menu permanently at the top to navigate. It's a white background, stretches across the top, and takes up something around 120px. (Don't quote me on the #).

5) Good idea. I'll play with it, and if I like it enough I'll make the switch immediately.

Hicks
08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I really dug the gold vs. light blue switch (I also changed the font from white to Pacer blue to go with it), so look now to see the change. :)

I love how it sort of divides the profile in two visually, while also popping off the page in an otherwise sea of dark blue.

*edit* Once I clicked the link, I had to refresh the page to get the change to show up.

Cobol Sam
08-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Your commitment is impressive. Very nice work!

rexnom
08-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Mal,

Sigh...I hate to bring something up because I feel like you do SO much already...however, IF you have time...can you put a games started (GS) as well as a games played (G) column? Also, FlavaDave's suggestion of adding one of the following is solid: per-35min stats, per 40-min, and per-48 min. I think per 40s are the most useful. Thank you so much.

Regards,

Rexnom

Hicks
08-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Per 40 stats added.
Playoff stats added.

:)

NuffSaid
08-14-2007, 11:17 AM
1) The page is purposefully designed to space like that between each player. I didn't want to allow scrolling at all, but I wanted to have room to display as much data as I am without shrinking all of the text. It's not meant to be scrolled, rather it's meant to be used with the menu taking you from player to player.

You trickster...did you just put those names at the very top of the screen? ;) I didn't notice them there yesterday. The font is a bit small...doesn't really stick out at 'cha.

2) Can you make a screen shot to show me what you're seeing?

Someone's gonna have to walk me through how to do that. I've tried to do a print screen (from MS Word) and paste it here, but it doesn't work. I know there's an "image" icon here, but it wants to reference a source file (usually URL). Still, if you look at Quis' player section you'll see that the words "(Team Option)" for 2010 are split but the word "Team" is right at the edge of the column separation from the "HoopsHype Profile" information.

3) It is in a table; I just chose not to show the borders.

Please reconsider adding them just to make the data easier to read as most of the stats are very tightly packed together.

4) I'm not sure why you don't see it, but there is a menu permanently at the top to navigate. It's a white background, stretches across the top, and takes up something around 120px. (Don't quote me on the #). (See my comment on note 1 above. :p )

5) Good idea. I'll play with it, and if I like it enough I'll make the switch immediately.
That looks really good...better than I thought it would have.

Again, very good work!

FlavaDave
08-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Per 40 stats added.
Playoff stats added.

:)

Awesome.

I believe this is the only place where all of these stats are kept in one place.

Another small suggestion: what about +/- stats? That would make this even more definitive.

Again, great work.

FlavaDave
08-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Someone's gonna have to walk me through how to do that. I've tried to do a print screen (from MS Word) and paste it here, but it doesn't work. I know there's an "image" icon here, but it wants to reference a source file (usually URL).

www.photobucket.com

Hicks
08-14-2007, 11:25 AM
NuffSaid, can you tell me the size of your monitor and the resolution you are using for your screen?

I've viewed the Roster Section on a 17" at 1024x768 and now I'm on a 19" at 1280x1024, and both (especially the 19" not surprisingly) have space between those areas. I'm guessing you're using either a 15" or 17" monitor at 800x600 resolution.

Admittedly, I didn't design it for a resolution smaller than 1024x768.

NuffSaid
08-14-2007, 12:28 PM
NuffSaid, can you tell me the size of your monitor and the resolution you are using for your screen?
My resolution is 1024x768 on a 19" LCD flat screen monitor.

There is a little bit of spacing in between the ESPN column and the HoopsHype column, but it's displaying as about 1 character length (give or take). Thus, it appears that the words from the ESPN column in some cases are "encroaching" (not blending...that would give the perception that words are going one atop the other and that's not what I meant...sorry for the mixup) upon the text in the HoopsHype column.

JayRedd
08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
This is great, Hicks. I'll hafta at least start using this page for our player stats/essential info now.

Looks great and will be a great resource.