PDA

View Full Version : If he comes back I'd go to Southern California and beat his face in.

MagicRat
08-11-2007, 06:32 AM
You've gotta love Mel......

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070811/SPORTS0403/708110479

Midlife crisis?
Ex-NBA star advised not to accept Celtics' offer and make a comeback at age 42
<!--PRINTER FRIENDLY ARTICLE--> By Mark Montieth
<script language="JavaScript"> <!-- function SymError() { return true; } window.onerror = SymError; var SymRealWinOpen = window.open; function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes) { return (new Object()); } window.open = SymWinOpen; //--> </script> <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- document.write( ''+'mark.montieth'+'@'+'indystar.com'+' (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/+)'); //--> </script>mark.montieth@indystar.com
August 11, 2007

Somewhere in Malibu, Reggie Miller apparently is mulling the idea of returning from a two-year retirement.

If he decides to try it, he'll be receiving a visitor sometime soon.

"If he comes back I'd go to Southern California and beat his face in," Pacers personnel director Mel Daniels said Friday.

Daniels, a close friend of Miller's, has spoken with the 18-year Pacers veteran. And while he respects Miller's privacy, he is strongly advising Miller not to accept Boston's offer to attempt a comeback at age 42.

"I think he's having a midlife crisis," said Daniels, whose comeback attempt with New Jersey at age 32 following a one-year layoff ended after 11 games.

"It's exciting to think about and you're in the newspapers again, but when it comes right down to it there ain't nothing happening."

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh, who drafted Miller and signed him to all of his contracts with the franchise, has not spoken with Miller. He takes that as a clue that he's not too serious about playing again.

"I would think if he was going to come back, he would call us and let us know," Walsh said. "He hasn't talked to anyone here."

Sportsline.com reported that Miller has talked with his former coach, Rick Carlisle.

"It's something he's carefully considering," Carlisle told the Web site. "It might come down to whether he really believes Boston has a chance to go far."

Walsh has seen the difficulty some athletes have in staying retired, and isn't surprised Miller might be experiencing some second thoughts.

"I remember talking to (former ABA and NBA star) Dan Issel," Walsh said. "He said he'd never go to another game or touch another ball. I said, 'You'll be back next year begging to come back.' And he was.

"They miss it. It becomes part of who you are. And your body takes awhile to withdraw from it."

It also takes awhile for a pro athlete's body to go back to competing again, as Daniels knows.

"Once you tell your body it's over with, you're done," he said. "You can tell yourself that basketball is easy, but the preparation to play basketball, that's tough."

Speed
08-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Wow all of these veiled references and hidden inuendos by Mel, I'm not sure where he stands on the subject....

I really am, again, not hurt by him going somewhere to play again, it wont' be anything close to the assasin Reggie who played for the Pacers, so it would be almost like a different player to me. Although, I wouldn't want him to come back and be horrible and embarrass himself either.

indygeezer
08-11-2007, 07:48 AM
He talked with RC but not LB or DW???

Nah, I'm reading too much into that.

indygeezer
08-11-2007, 07:52 AM
The Scene

Last game of the season........
Pacer's need a win to get into the POs

Pacers ahead by 1 with 12 seconds left and Boston with the ball....

timeout

and guess who is headed for the scorers table....

Speed
08-11-2007, 07:58 AM
The Scene

timeout

If you are at the game......DO NOT BOO!!!!

Isaac
08-11-2007, 09:48 AM
If you are at the game......DO NOT BOO!!!!

I won't boo, but if he takes the shot and misses, I'll cheer as loud as ever.

hoopsforlife
08-11-2007, 11:17 AM
The Scene

timeout

Pacers finally win.

Reggie never could make the final shot of a truly important game. excluding the the Knicks of course. :)

Speed
08-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Pacers finally win.

Reggie never could make the final shot of a truly important game. excluding the the Knicks of course. :)

duck!! Unless this is sarcasm, I suppose. If not, I'll just say NJ playoffs bank shot, Bulls pushing MJ, Phoenix dancing on the scorers table, Him and Jalen dropping 40 something a piece in the first round against someone, I don't remember and that is just off the top of my head. Where is my superman shirt?

odeez
08-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Love it, Mel is the man. There is no way Reggie can come back and play for the Celtics. And if did want to come back, you would think he would talk to DW first. The sight of him in green makes me a little sick.:eek:

Naptown_Seth
08-11-2007, 12:10 PM

No you aren't. Newsflash, despite reports that Reggie didn't want Rick to be the coach because he didn't like him, he apparently DOES like him enough to discuss a major life decision. Not unlike the Jackson hug of Rick after the GS trade despite "clearly" hating him based on all the on-court tantrums. Actions 2, Words/Rumors 0

Also, is it okay for Mel Daniels to get worked up and make a bold statement but not for me to feel similar? Hands up, who's going to rant to him this season at a Pacers game? He's easy to find most of the time, I'm sure he can't wait to hear that he needs to butt out and should just "get over it". I mean Mel Daniels, what would he know about it, right?

Alabama-Redneck
08-11-2007, 12:32 PM
The Scene

timeout

Ron Artest ???

Oh..that's right. Ron is laying on the scorers table and someone, from the Indy crowd, throws a bottle at Ron but misses and hits Reggie in the head, knocking him out and saving the victory for the Pacers.

Now that is how I see it !!

:cool:

Kegboy
08-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Also, is it okay for Mel Daniels to get worked up and make a bold statement but not for me to feel similar? Hands up, who's going to rant to him this season at a Pacers game? He's easy to find most of the time, I'm sure he can't wait to hear that he needs to butt out and should just "get over it". I mean Mel Daniels, what would he know about it, right?

Yeah, but Seth, Mel's a lot bigger than you.

able
08-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah, but Seth, Mel's a lot bigger than you.

a WHOLE lot bigger........................

Trader Joe
08-11-2007, 02:02 PM
The Scene

timeout

And yet Paul Pierce takes the final shot and misses. Reggie wouldn't be the go to guy in the clutch for Boston anyway.

LG33
08-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Paul Pierce is actually pretty good, and pretty clutch.

Trader Joe
08-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Paul Pierce is actually pretty good, and pretty clutch.

Agreed. Actually in the scenario Geez put out there with as much as 12 seconds left they'd probably try to get the ball to KG.

indyman37
08-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Agreed. Actually in the scenario Geez put out there with as much as 12 seconds left they'd probably try to get the ball to KG.
The more I thought about it, Boston will be a very good team in those down to the last second games. They already had Pierce, who was to say the least, clutch in those kinds of games last season. But now the have KG down low and Ray Allen around the arc. I hate to think about it, but a lineup with Reggie/Ray/Pierce/KG and practically anyone of their pgs would be crazy good down the stretch.

mike_D
08-11-2007, 03:36 PM
The more I thought about it, Boston will be a very good team in those down to the last second games. They already had Pierce, who was to say the least, clutch in those kinds of games last season. But now the have KG down low and Ray Allen around the arc. I hate to think about it, but a lineup with Reggie/Ray/Pierce/KG and practically anyone of their pgs would be crazy good down the stretch.

The way I see it is even though KG is a top 5 player he really has never been a great 4th quarter under 2 minutes type of player. Paul Pierce though is somebody who can take games over in spurts and is one hell of a clutch shooter probably better then Allen is. I see KG/Allen carrying that team for 3 quarters and in the 4th quarter Pierce going to work. I think those three players fit perfectly.

indyman37
08-11-2007, 03:46 PM
The way I see it is even though KG is a top 5 player he really has never been a great 4th quarter under 2 minutes type of player. Paul Pierce though is somebody who can take games over in spurts and is one hell of a clutch shooter probably better then Allen is. I see KG/Allen carrying that team for 3 quarters and in the 4th quarter Pierce going to work. I think those three players fit perfectly.
I agree with you on point about KG and Ray in the 4th. But I think they will help Pierce tremendously by taking pressure off him.

bellisimo
08-11-2007, 03:58 PM
when I read "you gotta love Mel" posted by MR...first person I thought of was JT aka MelMel. :) :) :)

Arcadian
08-11-2007, 05:53 PM
when I read "you gotta love Mel" posted by MR...first person I thought of was JT aka MelMel. :) :) :)

I did too. I thought, "crap what did Reggie do to Jamal's coat?"

I don't think it is odd that Reggie talked to Rick. The man did single handedly extend Curry's career 10 years.

rexnom
08-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Just about to post that...

wintermute
08-12-2007, 01:04 AM

well, carlisle is unemployed right now, so it's "no strings" advice. unlike if it's walsh or bird, or any other active nba management guy for that matter.

and seth is right, there's no reason to think that rick had a bad personal relationship with reggie.

MagicRat
08-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I could actually understand everyone's confusion if the thread title had been "If he comes back I'd go to Southern California and beat his face in with a dustpan.".........:whoknows:

RWB
08-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Forget Reggie, I wish the big man would punch Bob Kravitz in the face. :box:

Naptown_Seth
08-12-2007, 01:31 PM
One thing Ray and Paul both do that is critical for late game situations is create their own shots off the dribble. PP is a true foul magnet as well, typically getting to the line something like 10 times per game.

That team needs steady PG play and then 4-5 solid role players, hopefully with a lean toward defense.

And then if Ainge is smart he's try to parlay some of this vet experience into 1-2 younger players that aren't ready to help yet but would benefit greatly from playing with this triumvirate. A player like Patrick O'Bryant. Actually Davis and Rondo could fit that bill.

They aren't far off really. I think an aging Bruce Bowen makes more sense for them than Reggie Miller.

Naptown_Seth
08-12-2007, 01:35 PM
a WHOLE lot bigger........................
Cripes. So after suffering to lose 25 pounds I gotta turn right around and bulk up to stop Reggie from making what I think is a mistake?

What am I, DeNiro?

bellisimo
08-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Cripes. So after suffering to lose 25 pounds I gotta turn right around and bulk up to stop Reggie from making what I think is a mistake?

What am I, DeNiro?

more like Stallone in Copland! ;)

JayRedd
08-12-2007, 01:53 PM
more like Stallone in Copland! ;)

Or Brittany Spears in life.

bellisimo
08-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Or Brittany Spears in life.

dude...I just ate dinner...:puke:

grace
08-12-2007, 09:03 PM
If Reggie decides to come back and play for Boston I'd say that's proof positive that all those times he appeared on Dan Patrick's radio show really did kill off all of his brain cells. If he honestly thinks that Boston is his best change to get a ring the man needs to be committed to a mental hospital.