PDA

View Full Version : Now... Allan Houston considering a comeback?

Doddage
08-09-2007, 02:46 PM
<table width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="bottom"><td width="65">http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2967380
</td><td class="sport">
</td><td class="sport" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Houston working out with eye on returning to NBA
<hr noshade="noshade" size="1" width="100%">By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine

Reggie Miller (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=231) is not the only former All-Star shooting guard considering a comeback. Allan Houston (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=1282), one of the deadliest jump shooters of the past 15 years, is also looking to return to the NBA.

<inline1>
"It's something I'd like to do,'' Houston said in a telephone interview Thursday morning. "It's just a matter of getting myself back in game shape and getting used to playing again.''
</inline1>

Houston, 36, was forced into retirement in October 2005 after an arthritic left knee limited him to just 70 games over the previous two seasons. In 2002-2003, his last full season, he led the Knicks and finished 10th in the NBA with a career-high 22.5 point scoring average.

Houston, who worked as an NBA analyst for ESPN last season, said he has been working out hard for more than a month and that his knee feels great. He recently played in high-caliber (though not NBA level) summer league games in New York and plans to work out in Las Vegas with a personal basketball trainer later this month.

He would not discuss which, if any, teams have shown interest in signing him, but sources say Dallas and Cleveland headline the list of interested clubs. Boston, which has contacted Miller about a comeback, Phoenix, Miami and perhaps San Antonio, are also teams that would be logical destinations.

Out of courtesy, Houston informed Knicks owner James L. Dolan of his comeback attempt earlier this summer, and Dolan has allowed him to train at the Knicks' practice facility. It is not clear whether the Knicks would be interested in signing him, but Houston, who lives in nearby Connecticut, said he would not rule out a return to the place he played the last nine seasons of his 12-year career.

Houston, a career 17.3 point scorer, was still near the top of his game when he retired. He averaged 18.5 points in 50 games during the 2003-04 season, and while visibly struggling through knee pain, still managed to average 11.9 points in 26 minutes during his 20-game stint in 2004-05.

However, the two-time all-star and 2000 Olympic gold medalist is not expecting to return as a 20-point scorer.

"I'm looking to play a supporting role to some of these great young stars,'' Houston said. "More of a leadership role, someone who can add experience and stability late in games. I don't expect my scoring and my minutes to be what they used to, but at the same time, I'm not looking to just be a decoy out there. I'd like to have some kind of role.''

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine

<hr noshade="noshade" size="1" width="100%">

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
//Changed 1.15.2006 Illegal "name" attribute in a tags breaking new mlb and ncf scoreboard b/c they are XHTML compliant.
var link = window.location;
var footText = 'ESPN.com: Help | PR Media Kit | Sales Media Kit | Report a Bug (http://pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/#) | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright &copy;2007 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use<!--Terms of Use for ESPN Motion--> and UPDATED Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.';
document.getElementById('tfb').innerHTML = footText;
//]]>
</script><!--begin revenueScience--><script type="text/javascript" src="http://adsatt.espn.starwave.com/ad/sponsors/utilities/revsci/dm_espn.js"></script>
//<![CDATA[
DM_tag();
//]]>
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://adsatt.espn.starwave.com/ad/sponsors/utilities/detect/main.js"></script>
//<![CDATA[
getAll(false);
//]]><
</script>

Trader Joe
08-09-2007, 02:47 PM
I can't read...

mildlysane
08-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Huh?
Edit: Thanks for the edit...

Kstat
08-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Houston, who worked as an NBA analyst for ESPN last season, said he has been working out hard for more than a month and that his knee feels great.

A whole month? Really?

Kegboy
08-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I thought the boy had no knees anymore.

Kstat
08-09-2007, 02:55 PM
No truth to the rumor that Allan and Reggie have been meeting in secret at this establishment to discuss their comebacks...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/xanderjohn/gravy.jpg

Young
08-09-2007, 03:02 PM
I hope that Houston can come back and play well. It was to bad his career was put to an end due to his knees.

I'm sure someone will pick him up.

pianoman
08-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Will bender be next to attempt a comeback???

Speed
08-09-2007, 03:06 PM

Talk about Reggie ticking people off (not me, btw) THAT would tick me off.

JayRedd
08-09-2007, 03:29 PM
I hope that Houston can come back and play well.

Our mystery shooter?

Trader Joe
08-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Houston to the Pacers? Reggie to the Celtics? Puke all over.

DisplacedKnick
08-09-2007, 04:01 PM
He's been playing organized summer ball in the NYC area - at The Island Garden in West Hempstead. Knick fans have been following it. He played on Aug 2 and hit 8 3's, was supposed to play Aug 6 but didn't show.

My guess is either his knee was sore from the last game or he has a camp invite either in hand or close and didn't want to take a chance on getting hurt.

Who knows - maybe 2 years off would heal his knee. I guess he deserves the same chance as Reggie - if he wants to try to comeback, why not?

Frank Slade
08-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I thought the boy had no knees anymore.

:davidcraig:

We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster.

ChicagoJ
08-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Our mystery shooter?

:pray:

I know his old contract was outrageous, and his knees are probably toast. But we could do far worse than sign him.

He's a class act. Back when I lived in Indy, one of my neighbors was a former KY Mr. Basketball runner-up from Ballard High and knew Allan and his family very, very well (and used to babysit him). I've never heard a single bad thing about Allan as a person/ teammate, and we know he can shoot the ball.

TripleThreat
08-09-2007, 04:31 PM
yes, but only for practice purposes...he's a MONSTER in practice, you know.

:D :D

JayRedd
08-09-2007, 04:31 PM
:pray:

I know his old contract was outrageous, and his knees are probably toast. But we could do far worse than sign him.

I was half kidding and imagine his knees are way too shot. But I'm pretty confident he's the best pure shooter I've ever seen and we could use any low-salaried guard we can find at this point.

ChicagoJ
08-09-2007, 04:39 PM
10-16 minutes per game, in an assassain-off-the-bench role?

I know he can't go more than that. But there is still a place for Allan Houston in this league IF he can get up and down the court.

He'd be great in the Byron Scott, circa 1994 role.

JayRedd
08-09-2007, 04:42 PM
10-16 minutes per game, in an assassain-off-the-bench role?

Sign me up.

ChicagoJ
08-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Sign me up.

Hell, I'd buy a jersey. And the last jersey I bought was a Chris Mullin jersey.

(That's not true, I bought a Jerome Bettis Super Bowl XL jersey, but that's the last basketball jersey I bought...)

JayRedd
08-09-2007, 05:06 PM
And the last jersey I bought was a Chris Mullin jersey.

Don't think it was the last one I bought, but I got the Mully St. John's a while back. 1985 Player of the Year. BEAST.

Oneal07
08-09-2007, 05:13 PM
All this is BS. . .This is all Media BS

LoneGranger33
08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
I'll never forget that one series with the Miami Heat where miracle shot after miracle shot went in for both teams, then Allan Houston wins the series at the buzzer.

Evan_The_Dude
08-09-2007, 05:20 PM
If we signed Allan Houston without giving Reggie Miller a call first, you know Mr. "I Love Being the Enemy" himself would go accept Boston's offer. Anyone who knows the way Reggie Miller operates knows Reggie would do that. And damn it would be fun to watch....

avoidingtheclowns
08-09-2007, 05:36 PM
this morning i would have said this wouldn't happen... but then i read...

<TABLE cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=wiretap_key_header>Miami Signs Penny Hardaway</TD></TR><TR><TD>August 9, 2007 - 5:29 pm</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Hardaway_Anfernee_nyk.jpgRealGM Staff Report -
The Miami Heat (http://heat.realgm.com/) announced today that they have signed free agent guard/forward Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway. Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“Penny is a player who has been an All-Star and has enjoyed an illustrious career,” said Heat (http://heat.realgm.com/) President & Head Coach Pat Riley. “We have been impressed at his hard work and dedication this summer to get back in shape and return to the NBA. He is a skilled player who can help us in multiple positions.”

During a 13-year NBA career with the Orlando Magic (http://magic.realgm.com/) , Phoenix Suns (http://suns.realgm.com/) and New York Knicks (http://knicks.realgm.com/) , Hardaway has averaged 15.4 points, 5.1 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.61 steals and 34.0 minutes in 688 games (549 starts). The 6’7”, 220-pound guard/forward has shot 45.8 percent from the floor, 31.5 percent from three-point range and 77.4 percent from the foul line. [READ] (http://javascript<b></b>:rgmow('/rgmow.php?aid=47551','47551'))

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
LINK (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47551/20070809/miami_signs_penny_hardaway/)

pwee31
08-09-2007, 05:59 PM
this morning i would have said this wouldn't happen... but then i read...

And how

ChicagoJ
08-09-2007, 05:59 PM
If we signed Allan Houston without giving Reggie Miller a call first, you know Mr. "I Love Being the Enemy" himself would go accept Boston's offer. Anyone who knows the way Reggie Miller operates knows Reggie would do that. And damn it would be fun to watch....

There's what, a seven year difference in ages?

I have no idea if Allan's knees have healed, but if so, I'd take the guy seven years younger who had gone out in his prime. :twocents:

Evan_The_Dude
08-09-2007, 07:03 PM
There's what, a seven year difference in ages?

I have no idea if Allan's knees have healed, but if so, I'd take the guy seven years younger who had gone out in his prime. :twocents:

I wasn't trying to make a point about which one would be better to sign, I'm just saying what I know Reggie would go and do if we signed Houston without giving him a call. Reggie would make sure he came back and outplayed Houston by a long shot. The competitiveness in Reggie would show it's face if we got Allan Houston... That was my point.

ChicagoJ
08-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Oh I'm sure we've been talking to Reggie over the past 36 hours.

Trader Joe
08-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Oh I'm sure we've been talking to Reggie over the past 36 hours.

Agreed. If Reggie truely has the itch to play I'm sure we'd give him a chance. However I think in the end Reggie will decide its not worth the grind of a 82 game season to play for the Pacers or the Celtics.

Kegboy
08-09-2007, 09:07 PM
I can't wait for Mike Mathis and Hue Hollins to make their comebacks.

NapTonius Monk
08-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Guys like this aren't likely to be too enthusiastic about signing with middle-of-the-road teams who aren't on the cusp of championship contention. The calls to their home teams are little more than courtesy.

DisplacedKnick
08-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Guys like this aren't likely to be too enthusiastic about signing with middle-of-the-road teams who aren't on the cusp of championship contention. The calls to their home teams are little more than courtesy.

Maybe - not sure with AH. Over the last 2 years while he was injured the Knicks have allowed him the use of their training facilities, he's continued to meet with Doctors at team expense, had PT, he's been involved from time to time in the front office and at events.

Now, while we need shooting in the worst way I don't see the point in us signing him. For one thing, we already have 17 players under contract. For another we've spent a long time going young - no need to reverse that. But based on AH's rep, my guess is that if he talks to the Knicks it won't just be a courtesy call - if we want him he'll seriously consider it.

Reggie's always been a bit more cutthroat - that aspect of his personality is a big part (probably the main part) of what made him a better player.

jeffg-body
08-10-2007, 10:10 PM
When I saw this in combination with the Reggie talk to Boston I shivered and thought: What would be worse than Reggie going to Boston?:confused:

Indy Star Reads:

Allan Houston signs with the Pacers/Reggie signs with the Knicks
:-o:dance::eek::censored:

If this would happen I would immediately put my hand on the ground to see if hell really froze over.:devil:

Los Angeles
10-10-2007, 06:05 PM
BUMP

:laugh:

It's official:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3057170

Coach says Houston should be at Knicks' practice Friday

Allan Houston is back with the New York Knicks.

HOUSTON Q&A
Why is Allan Houston attempting an NBA comeback? Chris Broussard talked to the former All-Star last month. Read the interview. Q&A
Houston re-signed with the Knicks on Wednesday after a two-year absence from the NBA. The team didn't disclose contract terms.

Coach Isiah Thomas said Wednesday he didn't expect Houston to be on the floor Thursday when the Knicks play their exhibition home opener against Maccabi Tel Aviv, but he does expect him to take part when the Knicks return to practice on Friday.

"After much thought and prayer, I have decided to return to the NBA as a member of the New York Knicks. I have worked extremely hard in the last year and a half to accomplish my dream of playing in the NBA again," Houston said in a team statement.

"After my wife and I were blessed with the birth of our fourth child last week, I realized that New York is where I am supposed to be, and the Knick uniform is the one I want to wear. I have seen the Garden in some of its best moments, and I truly believe that this team is on the verge of experiencing that again. This team is hungry and energetic. I hope to contribute in the weeks and months ahead."

With the maximum 15 players under contract, the Knicks don't necessarily have room for Houston. But if he can still play -- and guard Jamal Crawford said during workouts Houston proved he could -- Thomas would find a way to keep him.

"If he's that good, I mean if he's the Allan Houston that we know and we haven't seen him in a while but if he's that good a player, we want good players,'' Thomas said. "If we're in a position where a player can help us, we definitely will look at him and make room for him.''

Houston, 36, said he wants to return to the NBA because he did not leave by choice. In 2005, Houston retired because of an arthritic left knee. He has not played a full NBA season since 2002-03, when he scored a career-high 22.5 points per game. Over the next two years, he only played 70 games.

"It's really like I never got to finish. You ever been cut off in midsentence and never been able to finish what you were saying? It feels like I get to finish now ... Of course I want to win, but this quest to me is more about being able to play again while I still can," Houston said in a recent interview with ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Houston said he still believes he can make an impact in the NBA.

"I believe I can still have an impact on the game. A lot of my friends and people are saying, 'You should go for three more years if you feel good!' I'm just thinking about this year right now. If things go like I think they will, playing longer would be something to think about," he said.

Houston, who worked as an analyst for ESPN last season, was given a much-criticized $100 million, six-year contract extension in 2001 from the Knicks. The deal made him virtually untradeable once he began to get hurt and crippled the Knicks' ability to make moves because of salary cap woes.

Houston averaged 17.3 points during his 12 NBA seasons. He shot 40.2 percent from 3-point range.

After spending his first three seasons in Detroit, Houston signed with the Knicks, who hoped he would be the outside shooting complement they needed to Patrick Ewing.

Houston helped New York to an improbable spot in the 1999 NBA Finals, when his running jumper in the closing seconds of the deciding Game 5 knocked off the top-seeded Miami Heat in the first round.

Thomas also expects a warm welcome from Knicks fans on Thursday. It's the team's first game in New York since a jury found Thomas and Madison Square Garden sexually harassed former team executive Anucha Browne Sanders.

"I think I'll get a warm reception,'' Thomas said after practice Wednesday. "I don't think that the things that have gone on will affect the way people feel about me. Just from walking around New York and being in the city and even getting back, I've received a lot of love ... letters and support from a lot of people.''

Thomas hasn't spent much time in New York since the jury's decision on Oct. 2. He left that day for Charleston, S.C., where the Knicks held their training camp, and the team only returned Monday night.

The Knicks haven't won a playoff game since Thomas arrived as team president in December 2003, and fans frequently booed Thomas and chanted for him to be fired in previous seasons. But they warmed to him last season, his first as coach, as New York rebounded from its early struggles to get into playoff contention and earn him an extension.

Last week, Al Sharpton threatened to lead protests at Madison Square Garden if Thomas didn't apologize for saying in a videotaped deposition shown at trial that he made a distinction between a black man and a white one calling a black woman "*****."

Still, he expects to hear cheers Thursday.

"I believe they will. But if not, then I'll earn it,'' he said. "I've been fighting for my life all my life, so I'm not a guy that walks away or shy away. And if whatever comes my way, I'll deal with it and I'll stand tall. But I'm not expecting a bad reaction tomorrow at all.''

Information from Andrew Marchand, managing editor of 1050 ESPN Radio in New York, and The Associated Press was used in this report.

N8R
10-10-2007, 06:41 PM
It will be interesting to see if he can still play and play well enough for New York to eat some contracts in order to sign him.

Anthem
10-10-2007, 10:48 PM
It will be interesting to see if he can still play and play well enough for New York to eat some contracts in order to sign him.
Is our TE still good? I'd be happy to take Mardy Collins and a 2nd-round pick...

ABADays
10-10-2007, 11:00 PM
And the Knick fans in New York who already think IT is ignorant are walking around saying "Naw, he couldn't be that stup . . . well, yes he can".

Naptown_Seth
10-11-2007, 01:04 PM
And the Knick fans in New York who already think IT is ignorant are walking around saying "Naw, he couldn't be that stup . . . well, yes he can".
"What did you say b****! Look h*, let me handle my business, you go get me a cup of coffee, okay sweetheart."

Do not challenge Zeke's authority.