PDA

View Full Version : Reggie to the Celtics?

Pages : [1] 2

Vince Neil
08-08-2007, 01:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2966170

Reggie Miller says he is contemplating a return to the NBA, this time with the Boston Celtics.

Miller, who turns 42 on Aug. 24, played his entire 18-year career with the Indiana Pacers before retiring in 2005. Since his playing days ended he has worked as a television analyst for TNT.

Miller was all set to continue that job when Celtics general manager Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers asked him to think about joining their revamped team in a reserve role, playing about 15 minutes per game.

Miller said he is calling friends and peers, seeking their advice and listening to their feedback before he makes his decision. He still plays recreationally, but must determine if he wants to go through the physical and mental grind of an 82-game season. He also wonders how his body would respond to the intensive training it would take to get him back to NBA shape.

The lure of playing in Boston is simple: with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen added to Paul Pierce, the Celtics feel they have a shot at an NBA championship. Like those three players, the only thing missing from Miller's list of accomplishments is a championship ring.

Miller, a five-time NBA All-Star, is seventh on the all-time list of games played with 1,323. He is 13th in scoring (25,279) and holds the NBA record for most made the most 3-pointers in NBA history with 2,560.

Since the Celtics' trades that brought in Allen and Garnett, the team has been filling out its roster with less heralded players, including guard Eddie House and center Scot Pollard.

JayRedd
08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm all for it. Do work, Reg.

blanket
08-08-2007, 01:22 PM
:cry:

GrangerRanger
08-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm not. I never thought he was a ring chaser.

Thats kinda a smack in the face of Indiana to join a team in the same division of Indiana. If he does, I will be there at the four games that we play him and I'll probably have a sore throat the next day.

TripleThreat
08-08-2007, 01:25 PM
LOL!!!

If he does this, I might just become a Celtics fan!!!

I have often criticized players for chasing a ring, but really only the ones who demand a trade to a contender, or sign with another team for very little money, when the team that they have been with for many years is offering more...

The only thing that would bother me is...didn't he leave with one year left on his last contract?

Fool
08-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Just waiting ...

blanket
08-08-2007, 01:28 PM
So does that mean he'll be giving back the Bentley?

;)

pwee31
08-08-2007, 01:29 PM
I would be sad that he would no longer had spent his entire career with the Pacers, but he's my favorite player EVER so of course I would root for him and the Celtics. The Pacers will still be my #1 of course

Shade
Oh, HELL no! That would suck beyond all belief!

Don't do it, Reg!!!!! :sad:

Trader Joe
He wouldn't dare.

He loses all his legend status IMO if he does this. Part of his mystique is that he was a Pacer for life, if he went to the Celtics, it would only be worse if he went to the Knicks. Don't do it Reg, for the love of God don't do it.

Kegboy
08-08-2007, 01:30 PM
My first thought is, "There's no direct quotes."

My second thought is, "It's ESPN, even if there was doesn't mean they're true."

My third thought is, "This better not happen, or else Jay's head will explode."

Even if this is true, it seems kind of strange on Boston's part. IMO the team that has Ray Allen on their roster is the last team that would have a need for Reggie's talents.

If Reggie wants to come back, I'm not gonna stand in his way. It'd be disappointing, sure, but it's his life. I still don't see them winning anything. As good as he may still be, he's not a Point or a Center.

FrenchConnection
08-08-2007, 01:31 PM
LOL!!!

I have often criticized players for chasing a ring, but really only the ones who demand a trade to a contender, or sign with another team for very little money, when the team that they have been with for many years is offering more...

The only thing that would bother me is...didn't he leave with one year left on his last contract?

Yeah, and we had to pay it too. Now that this year has expired, he decides to come back to chase a ring with a team that really is not good enough anyway. I say more power to him, but all he will likely get from this will be a second finals appearance.

Shade
08-08-2007, 01:32 PM
He wouldn't dare.

He loses all his legend status IMO if he does this. Part of his mystique is that he was a Pacer for life, if he went to the Celtics, it would only be worse if he went to the Knicks. Don't do it Reg, for the love of God don't do it.

QFT

If Reggie does this, I will lose a LOT of respect for him. I know it's his life and whatever, but this is just lame.

Damn, we fans just keep taking one hit after another. When is it going to stop?

Hicks
Good God. Why don't the Celtics just pay him the LLE to come over to my house, rip my heart out, and wipe his feet on my childhood on the way out to his Bentley.

Cobol Sam
I'd be awesome to see Reggie Miller playing basketball again.

pwee31
08-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I wonder if he would ponder returning to the Pacers in the same form? :D

Can never have too many shooters! :happydanc

oneofthesedays
08-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I agree, I thought Laker fans had it bad.

Shade
08-08-2007, 01:34 PM
My first thought is, "There's no direct quotes."

My second thought is, "It's ESPN, even if there was doesn't mean they're true."

My third thought is, "This better not happen, or else Jay's head will explode."

Even if this is true, it seems kind of strange on Boston's part. IMO the team that has Ray Allen on their roster is the last team that would have a need for Reggie's talents.

If Reggie wants to come back, I'm not gonna stand in his way. It'd be disappointing, sure, but it's his life. I still don't see them winning anything. As good as he may still be, he's not a Point or a Center.

I'm kind of in the same state of thought, Kegboy.

If this is more ESPN BS, we fans need to do something about it. This would be at least the third time in recent memory that they've just falt-out made up **** about the Pacers, and I've ****ing had enough.

Since86
08-08-2007, 01:35 PM
ESPN just changed around the coach's names, switched the owner's name to the Celts GM name, then added in Celtics rather than Mavs, and copied/pasted from their article last year.

They reported how he was calling around his friends and family, same as this year, but every single person denied it. Last years story came around because Cuban just mentioned his name, and ESPN ran with it saying he was offered a contract.

B-O-G-U-S!

Speed
08-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Wow, I really want him to, if he hadn't done everything humanly possible here in Indy I could see some of the backlash, but lets let the guy have a chance at a ring.

He did things the right way, that just sounds petty and small to deny him a chance to get a ring after all he did for the franchise and fans.

I'm happy for him if he does and won't root for the Celtics, but would big time root for him!!

What is he going to do come back to Indy, come on?!?!?

He will still go into the Hall a Pacer. I'm disappointed by some of the reaction.

Trader Joe
08-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Good God. Why don't the Celtics just pay him the LLE to come over to my house, rip my heart out, and wipe his feet on my childhood on the way out to his Bentley.

No kidding. I'm not sure how I would react to Reggie in another jersey. I might never be able to watch the NBA again.

Vince Neil
"No," he said. "There’s no Michael Jordan thing going on. There’s none of that.”

Anyone remember this quote from Reginald? I hope he says no.

RWB
LOL!!!

I remember when Reg and Chuck raised Holy Hell that the fans supported the Celtics more than the Ps back in the day. I can't ever hate the guy, but I will NEVER become a Celtic fan.

aceace
08-08-2007, 01:38 PM
15 minutes a game. How much of his skills have diminished since retiring? I would only worry that if his shot had fallen off to where he wasn't quite the shooter he once was he could see little playing time. It wouldn't bother me at all if he joined them. He gave us his very best for 18 years and theres nothing wrong with chasing a ring if you feel theres a legitimate chance.

Tom White
08-08-2007, 01:42 PM

They still need someone to spell Allen when he needs a rest. Reggie would sub-in off the bench for Ray.

Kegboy
08-08-2007, 01:42 PM
For those who think fans should be more magnanimous, I was in Chicago the week MJ announced he was gonna play for the Wizards. Talk radio was on fire, with people wanting to burn his jersey and tear down the statue in front of the United Center.

Maybe it's a good thing Reggie never got that statue.

Kegboy
08-08-2007, 01:44 PM
They still need someone to spell Allen when he needs a rest. Reggie would sub-in off the bench for Ray.

I would think that's what Tony Allen's for. I look at that roster, and my first thought isn't "Ooo, let's see if we can get a 2 in his 40's that hasn't played in a couple years."

But then, I wouldn't have signed Eddie House and Scot Pollard, either.

FrenchConnection
08-08-2007, 01:51 PM
What I am surprised at is that any Pacers' fans support this at all. Reggie had his shot at a ring in a situation where was the best player on the team and came up short. No player "deserves" a ring to the point where we should applaud them coming out of retirement just for that purpose. And how will those of you that support this move feel when he talks about that Celtics year being the most rewarding year of his career and how the Boston fans are the greatest fans in the league? You know that he will say these things, and I know that I will hate him as much as I hate Dominick Hasek.

ajbry
08-08-2007, 01:56 PM
I ain't worried about it. Reggie has carved out a nice little niche in TNT's lineup of commentators and he wouldn't want to go through an entire season again. Plus, he needs to realize Celts fans absolutely hate him - trust me on this one...

I'm all for Reggie getting a ring, but his retirement as a lifelong Pacer meant a hell of a lot to us Pacers fans. It would be a real damn shame if he came back with another team, especially a team whom we were rivals with back in 2004.

Please Reg, DON'T DO IT.

Okay, maybe I am worried about it.

Gyron
08-08-2007, 01:56 PM
This would rip my heart out, but I however would love to see the man on the basketball court again, just in a pacers uniform is all.

I also highly doubt this to be true.

NapTonius Monk
08-08-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm kind of in the same state of thought, Kegboy.

If this is more ESPN BS, we fans need to do something about it. This would be at least the third time in recent memory that they've just falt-out made up **** about the Pacers, and I've ****ing had enough.

How, exactly, are they making something up about the Pacers in this article? Reggie is free to go where he chooses. I don't see how this tarnishes what he's done here.

grace
08-08-2007, 01:58 PM
If Reggie wants to come back, I'm not gonna stand in his way.

Why not? You look pretty menacing to me.

http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/keggercracker.jpg

IndyHoosier
08-08-2007, 02:00 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! Don't Do It Reg, Please!!!!!!!

naptown
08-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I am calling BS on this.

Remember when Karl bailed on Utah and ran to the Lakers? Remember Reggie saying he would not want to win a ring like that?

pwee31
08-08-2007, 02:13 PM
I am calling BS on this.

Remember when Karl bailed on Utah and ran to the Lakers? Remember Reggie saying he would not want to win a ring like that?

It's not bailing on a team when you're retired and haven't played for them in a few years.

I can't say I'm all for it, but I'm not against it either. I would love for him to have played his whole career with just the Pacers, but I couldn't be upset with him if he wanted one more go round with a ring. No he didn't get one being the best player on our team, but he :censored: gave it his all and tried. Carried this franchise on his scrawny little back, and though the final moments at the end were emotional and remarkable. Reggie didn't really get that final shot he deserved when his time was coming to an end... yet he still stuck by us during all the turmoil. I can't dog the man from wanting a REAL final shot at things.

All that said.. I don't think it'll happen. If it does, good luck Reg

LG33
08-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm for it ONLY if the Celts also get John Stockton, Karl Malone, and Patrick Ewing to fill out the rest of the second unit.

avoidingtheclowns
08-08-2007, 02:15 PM
I'm for it ONLY if the Celts also get John Stockton, Karl Malone, and Patrick Ewing to fill out the rest of the second unit.

you read my mind

GrangerRanger
08-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I don't think your speculation about this being a legit rumour or something that is in the works is true. I read the ESPN article from the homepage and at the bottom it says it's written by J.A. Adande. If it was written by Ric Bucher, I would look at it and say, probably 5 words of that is true. But, I actually respect Adande and I like watching him on Around The Horn. I actually think that this is a legit article.

Wu-Gambino
08-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Hell, they might as well go after Karl Malone (44), Shawn Kemp (37), Ewing (45), and John Stockton (45). Wow, what a dream team:

C - Ewing
PF - KG
SF - Pierce
SG - Allen
PG - Stockton
__
PF - Malone
PF - Kemp
SG - Miller
C - Pollard
PG - Rando
PF - Scalabrine
SF - Bird (I think he would gladly leave the Pacers for this spot)

EDIT - Damn Lonegranger and atc read my mind.

Speed
08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
What would everyone do if you were at Conseco for the Celts/Pacer game next season and up comes Reggie off the bench to check in the game...for the Celtics?

Doug
08-08-2007, 02:27 PM
What would everyone do if you were at Conseco for the Celts/Pacer game next season and up comes Reggie off the bench to check in the game...for the Celtics?

The correct response would be absolute silence.

Ya' can't boo him. He likes that.

indygeezer
08-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Anyone have a vid of the last moments of Reggies last game?

I can't believe he'd turn his back on that moment.

for me.........ESPN-MEH

Wu-Gambino
08-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Man, I just thought of some more people Ainge could go after:

Derrick Coleman (if he could play to his potential for 1 season, he might be 6th man of the year)
Acie Earl (he could right all the wrongs he did for the Celtics)
Manute Bol or Gheorghe Mureşan (both big man that could help, Mureşan is only 36)
Master P (didn't he always want to play in the NBA)
Muggsy Bogues (solid PG)
Larry Johnson (should not have said that)

Hell, sign Bogues, Johnson, and Ewing, then go after Bradley and get Barkley to come back. You'll have the entire Monstar team from Space Jam on your bench! THOSE GUYS ALMOST BEAT MJ, BUGGS, BILL MURRAY, AND THAT ONE ATTRACTIVE FEMALE RABBIT!

I think I'm getting carried away.

pwee31
08-08-2007, 02:37 PM

:laugh: Maybe Barkley can train with Bavetta and get back in shape to play a few minutes here or there!

Roy Munson
08-08-2007, 02:38 PM
This isn't 1989-90 24 ppg Reggie making a comeback...This isn't even 2004-05 ineffective 32% Reggie coming back. This is old rec-league-slower-than- molasses-couldn't-get-a-shot-off-against-fast-defenders Reggie trying to come back.

He'll be completely unable to contribute. It will be a sad pathetic mess. Hopefully he'll get realistic advice about this and not do it.

RWB
08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
He'll be completely unable to contribute. It will be a sad pathetic mess. Hopefully he'll get realistic advice about this and not do it.

Unless they're really looking for end of the game I can hit my free throws Reggie.

circlecitysportsfan
08-08-2007, 02:41 PM

for me.........ESPN-MEH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AnCkjgUcc4

smitty_08
08-08-2007, 02:42 PM
When he retired didn't he say something to the tune of that he would Never play again? Like he wasn't going to be like Michael Jordan?

LG33
08-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Hell, sign Bogues, Johnson, and Ewing, then go after Bradley and get Barkley to come back. You'll have the entire Monstar team from Space Jam on your bench! THOSE GUYS ALMOST BEAT MJ, BUGGS, BILL MURRAY, AND THAT ONE ATTRACTIVE FEMALE RABBIT!

Babs?

Speaking of...
Did you ever wonder what that one alien took from Shawn Bradley? I do.

31andonly
08-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Please not, I want Reggie to be remembered as a Pacers 4 life..as our legend, our one and only..

Don't do it, don't jump on the bandwagon!

Don't scratch your status as one of the greatest performers of all time, for one city by becoming a 15-minute-roleplayer..

ChicagoJ
08-08-2007, 02:46 PM
I.....

can't.....

breathe......

help?

Frank Slade
08-08-2007, 02:47 PM
:Ainge 4
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/images/danny_ainge.jpg
:happydanc

Bird 0
:-p :bird:

arenn
08-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I would hate it. I think the Pacers went out of their way to take care of Reg latter in his career, including overpaying him significantly for part of it. It would be very disappointing to see him play for another team. I agree with those who say it would tarnish something of his mystique as one of the few players in the modern day to ever spend an entire career with one team.

31andonly
08-08-2007, 02:56 PM
BTW,

since he retired, has he ever been in Indianapolis again?
To me, it seems like he's finished that chapter and has totally started a new life..

Just wanted to know whether you feel that he still cares for the organization/city!

Roy Munson
08-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Unless they're really looking for end of the game I can hit my free throws Reggie.

I think Boston's Big Three are pretty good free-throw shooters. I don't think that is going to be a big problem for them.

Vince Neil
08-08-2007, 02:59 PM
From the Boston Herald
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/celtics/

Celts approach Reggie Miller
Posted by Mark Murphy at 2:29 pm

Danny Ainge just confirmed that he approached Reggie Miller, the former Pacer and five-time all-star shooting guard, about becoming a Celtic.

“I had a couple of conversations with Reggie, and that’s all I’m going to say,'’ said the Celtics’ director of basketball operations, who is vacationing in San Diego with his family, not far from Miller, who lives in Malibu, where new Celtic Kevin Garnett also happens to live.

Ainge, who approached Miller on what was described as a hunch, apparently had an effect, considering that Miller told ESPN.com that he was contemplating a return with the Celtics, who have one contract slot open, and the majority of their mid-level exception to spend.

Miller, who will turn 42 later this month, has told the Celtics that he needs time to evaluate himself and his desire to return. He would be a free agent, considering that he retired two seasons ago from Indiana.

Indiana president Donnie Walsh, while not doubting that Miller could return to the league after a two-year absence, esxpressed surprise that he had not heard anything from his longtime star.

I wouldn’t bet against Reggie in anything,'’ said Walsh. “But I’m surprised he didn’t call us first. I know he can still shoot. That I know. Other than that, I don’t know.'’

At the time of Miller’s retirement, Pacers general manager Larry Bird told the Indianapolis Star he had no doubt that Miller could return to the league, considering how well the guard has always stayed in top condition.

LAKERERIC
You only live once. It is hard for guys like Reggie to stop playing, with how much he loves the lights. Plus, he knows the Celts are a good team that needs depth. He probably knows he can still get out there and do enough to help. My guess is if he thinks he can come back and help, he will.

Peck
BTW,

To me, it seems like he's finished that chapter and has totally started a new life..

Just wanted to know whether you feel that he still cares for the organization/city!

Yes he's been in town quite a bit actually. Also he has even attended a Pacers game with LaSalle Thompson last season (not with TNT).

JB's Breakout Year
08-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm all for it. Do work, Reg.
Yes. I think it'd be really cool just to see him play again.

Whatever he'd do with the Celtics wouldn't diminish my memories of him with the Pacers one iota. Especially the way he tore the Knicks' hearts out and stomped 'em repeatedly, and how he took us to the Finals. And retiring as an honorary "Hoosier." He'll always be sheer class to me. Do whatever makes you happy, Reggie.

But, Good Lord, think about how BRUTAL his defense would be at 42! He wasn't any good at it in his prime :laugh:!

NuffSaid
08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Reggie Miller, the Knick Killa, a Celtic? Get outta here with that mess! :eek:

He insisted on retiring w/1 yr remaining on his contract, he didn't bite on the Mavs' offer to play for them last year not even when all it would have meant was playing in the post-season, and yet now w/the prospect of playing w/KG and Ray Allen he'd suddenly give returning greater consideration?

I'm not sure if I could get with that. I'd still root for him, but man. I'm not sure if I could ever get use to seeing him play against the team he was part of for 16 yrs!

Trader Joe
08-08-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't know what I would do. I was at Reggie's last regular season game and the last game against the Pistons for him to basically throw those moments away along with the moment of his jersey being retired by the Pacers, I, I really don't know what I'd do. Those three moments are moments that define me as a Pacer fan. To lose their significance would be crushing to me.

IUColtPacerFan
08-08-2007, 03:05 PM
He absolutely CANNOT do this. Reggie is my all-time favorite. It hurts even knowing he is thinking about doing this. :(

Fool
08-08-2007, 03:08 PM
:dance:
Indeed.

Peck
08-08-2007, 03:12 PM
My thoughts are this.

This couldn't have come at a worse time if it's true. My gut feeling is he will do the old "I'm flattered to be considered but...." routine, at least that is what I hope he does.

He's a grown man and he fulfilled his obligations to this franchise so if he deserately needs a ring in his life then who are we to stand in his way.

Will it deminish his accomplishments in Indiana? No & yes all at the same time.

No, it won't change the fact that he was a hero here for all of his past actions. However this will certainly deminish the ending and the whole "played my career with one team" speech he gave.

But in the end it's his life.

However right now the fans of this franchise do NOT need this. The only shining light that many people grab onto to this day is Reggie.

While I am not a doomsayer about our current club I will say that in all honesty we are nowhere near a title contender. But I know many people have us being bottom of the barrel as well.

Those fans who are already feeling low after the Brawl, Artest, Jackson and whatever went on with J.O. (or not) this may be the gut shot that puts them out of thier misery with this franchise.

I just hope for everybodys sake, including Reggie's btw, that he stays retired.

Till the day he dies he will be a hero without question in Indiana.

If he comes back a Celtic, he will still be a hero but he will not enjoy the unblemished status that he has now.

Since86
08-08-2007, 03:13 PM
BTW,

He still has a house on Geist, which is just outside of Indy.

Frank Slade
08-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Hello Insult ?
This Is Injury your prescence has been requested at Conseco Fieldhouse at your most earliest convenience.
I'll fill you in on the details upon your arrival..
:kickcan:

Speed
08-08-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't know what I would do. I was at Reggie's last regular season game and the last game against the Pistons for him to basically throw those moments away along with the moment of his jersey being retired by the Pacers, I, I really don't know what I'd do. Those three moments are moments that define me as a Pacer fan. To lose their significance would be crushing to me.

I was at both games and will always cherish those moments and I feel exactly the opposite, I'm all for him doing this and it doesn't even effect how I feel about all that one iota.

JB's Breakout Year
08-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Another thing to remember is that he REALLY sucks as an announcer. Him suiting up in Celtics' green would spare us that.

GrangerRanger
08-08-2007, 03:17 PM

for me.........ESPN-MEH

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2AnCkjgUcc4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2AnCkjgUcc4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I'm gonna cry...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yf4Cu09qhw4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yf4Cu09qhw4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Gyron
08-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I was just watching the clips that hicks posted above along with another clip I saw of reggies top 10 moments.

I have to say, I really miss that feeling of the excitement in the playoffs, when reggie got his hands on that ball in the last couple of minutes in a game. You just knew what was coming and how gretait was gonna feel.

I know I had some of that excitement this year with the colts and the superbowl, but I will forever miss the excitement that Reggie always brought to the Pacers and to the state of Indiana.

JayRedd
08-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Speaking of...
Did you ever wonder what that one alien took from Shawn Bradley? I do.

Polygamy?

cramerica
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
I would hate this very much as well. I feel like everything Jordan did was tainted after he played for the Wizards. And that same thing will happen if Reggie does this to us as well.

croz24
08-08-2007, 03:27 PM
i would lose all respect for reggie and what he stood for here in indiana if he came back for any team BUT the pacers...

LG33
08-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Polygamy?

Bradley couldn't even get one wife, let alone multiple. I was leaning toward height and awkward whiteness, but he lost neither. In fact, I think Shawn might have taken more talent than he had in that final scene. Muggsy Bogues was never the same after that damned movie.

bulldog
08-08-2007, 03:29 PM
20% chance this came out of Pacer front office for distraction purposes...

GrangerRanger
08-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Why would we need distraction?

31andonly
08-08-2007, 03:30 PM
<OBJECT height=350 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2AnCkjgUcc4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT></P>
I'm gonna cry...

<OBJECT height=350 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yf4Cu09qhw4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT></P>
:(

Oneal07
08-08-2007, 03:31 PM
LOL, Reggie ain't coming back!!

Oneal07
08-08-2007, 03:33 PM
BTW,

I've heard Reggie say numerously that he spends most of his time In Indiana and LA

JB's Breakout Year
08-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the '07-'08 Boston Celtics are shaping up like they were put together on NBA Live '08 by some heavily stoned college kids between Suzie-Q and milk runs to the VP? "Hey, get KG! Yeah! Now get Ray Allen! Awesome! Oh crap, we're out of money. Hey, there's Scot Pollard, he's got those goofy-*** haircuts! Hey! Reggie! Yeah, he'll be awesome!"

They are shaping up to be the most entertaining team to watch in recent memory. Much better than the Malone, Kobe, Shaq, GP Lakers.

Doug
08-08-2007, 03:36 PM

The same thought occurred to me.

Vince Neil
08-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Reggie releases statement:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7103810?MSNHPHMA

BOSTON (AP) - The Boston Celtics have spoken with future Hall of Famer Reggie Miller about coming out of retirement, Miller said Wednesday.

"I'm always flattered when my name is mentioned as someone who can still help an NBA team win a championship," Miller said in a statement relayed to The Associated Press by the TNT network. "I've had limited discussions with Celtics management about their roster and a potential role for me. At this time, I'm enjoying my role as an analyst with TNT."
Miller played 18 seasons in the NBA, all with the Indiana Pacers, before retiring in 2005. He is 13th on the league's career scoring list with 25,279 points.

Celtics officials did not respond to requests for comment. Miller's agent, Arn Tellem, declined comment.

MagicRat
08-08-2007, 03:42 PM

I was going to post something similar, as well.......

avoidingtheclowns
08-08-2007, 03:49 PM
I was going to post something similar, as well.......

good thing you didn't... can you imagine showing up to the thread today and someone else was posting what you were? geez, talk about embarrassing...

Naptown_Seth
08-08-2007, 03:53 PM
While I'm with Kegboy in lacking belief (edit, well not now that Reggie confirmed it), I find a certain level of irony that you put up your "Ron/JO/Reggie" photo sig trashing them out in comparison to Reggie. You jumped the gun on JO and found out that Reggie can be (maybe) just as selfish.

I mean how is it wrong for JO to want to go to another team but not wrong for Reggie to do the same? Heck, he retired and took a free year of pay rather than deal with Indy, and then goes to another team just to blatently chase a ring?

Reggie is free to go where he wants, just like JO is free to opt out of his contract next year. All legal and fair. This isn't about "allowed to", this is about "should as a quality NBA citizen". We're allowed to respect him for his moral choices and lose all respect for ones with less character to them.

I respect JO still because of the "ifs" and positive attitude about Indy in all his original comments, he clearly went out of his way to avoid saying exactly what the press tried to imply he said. To be fair, Reggie appears to have now done something similar and I will cut him some slack on just taking a phone call from someone.

BTW, Walsh is right to be surprised, is there a team in the NBA that could use a pure 3 ball guy off the bench in their system more than the Pacers under JOB.

Doug, I wouldn't boo him or challenge his game. It would sound more like "WTF is wrong with you ring chaser? The CELTICS!?! Could you be more insulting about this?" (I'd even accept the Knicks before Boston, at least he has a good history with MSG and those fans, ie hate/love).

My moral restraint would be the only thing that would keep the more personal stuff out of it...maybe. But not once would I challenge his ability as an opponent.

avoidingtheclowns
08-08-2007, 04:12 PM
umm seth, maybe i'm misreading what you quoted but it doesn't look like he's okay with it and thinks its just as wrong. maybe because i've never met the guy i'm misinterpreting his tone. hicks, did you write "rip my heart out" to be whimsical?

maragin
08-08-2007, 04:16 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cNFOMmTWhps"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cNFOMmTWhps" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

This commercial seems especially on target when it comes to players coming out of retirement.

Who am I to tell one of my heroes to sit on the couch and rot so I can keep my little memories in tact?

Go get 'em Reg. Give 'em hell.

spreedom
08-08-2007, 04:28 PM
...or sign with another team for very little money, when the team that they have been with for many years is offering more...

What in the world is wrong with sacrificing a big payday for a chance to win?

TheLemonSong
08-08-2007, 04:29 PM
If Reggie comes out of retirement to go chase a title like Karl Malone did with the Lakers, I won't cheer for him to win.

I can't bare the thought of him in a C's uni.
UGGGHHH!

denyfizle
08-08-2007, 04:31 PM
well if he does i still respect him and love him but his credibility will take a major hit... fortunately Reggie doesn't give a hoot about what I think.

but why the Celtics??? As if Ray Allen can't shoot enough 3s. I would understand if he'd go to the Spurs to chase a ring, but why the Celtics?

Lord Helmet
08-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Good God, no, please, no.....

I think I'm about to be sick.

Sollozzo
08-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Remember that cheapshot Reggie took at Karl Malone 4 years ago?

“I wanted to be loyal to myself, the franchise and the fans by finishing my career with the Pacers and pursue our goal of winning a championship. I could not see myself being one of those players that bails out on their franchise just to try and win a ring.”

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/news_030820_reggie.html

Kstat
08-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Has anybody mentioned that #31 is retired in Boston (Cornbread Maxwell)?

What number would Reggie wear?

ChicagoJ
08-08-2007, 04:39 PM
What number would Reggie wear?

666?

This is pure evil.

bellisimo
08-08-2007, 04:43 PM
oh hell :censored: no!
Ainge is the devil's advocate! :mad:

I just recently watched his Beyond the Glory on Youtube - he mentions about the whole concept of jumping to another team just to get a ring/etc...

Reggie: I wasn't just going to go chase the championship and jump on someone elses bandwagon...I just couldn't do that.

then comes Cheryl stating how stupid it was for Reggie to stick to Indy...but finished it up with saying he's loyal...

you can watch the video below...forward to minute 5:15:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ydZLTfh5ICI

**sorry I couldn't find the button to embed the video**

no way could I handle Uncle Reg playing for another team...
this would be one of the biggest betrayels that I would feel...sure i never met the guy - but what he is and what he stood for...it'll all be just lies...

SparkyPacer
08-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Maybe his USA Team Number? Whatever that was.

I say we all apologize to Danny Ainge, and hope he stops bullying us.:cry:

Kstat
08-08-2007, 04:45 PM

#10, which is also retired in Boston (Jojo White)

Sollozzo
08-08-2007, 04:48 PM

I say we all apologize to Danny Ainge, and hope he stops bullying us.:cry:

Los Angeles
08-08-2007, 04:48 PM
After reading Seth's "kick him while he's down" posts directed toward Mal, I've decided to delete my posts teasing Jay. I feel the spirit of my post was meant to be light-hearted, but I just don't want this to be a trend.

I'm sorry, Jay.

ChicagoJ
08-08-2007, 04:49 PM
LA, leave 'em in. I know you, Kegboy, and Fool were just having fun.

We all know what I think of the f:censored:cking Green Guys.

Los Angeles
08-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Ooops, too late.

Can you imagine what it's been like for me this summer? I hate the Lakers *almost* as much as you hate the Celtics. If we trade our only star for nothing but Laker trash, I'm going to flip.

Naptown_Seth
08-08-2007, 04:56 PM
After reading Seth's "kick him while he's down" posts directed toward Mal, I've decided to delete my posts teasing Jay. I feel the spirit of my post was meant to be light-hearted, but I just don't want this to be a trend.

I'm sorry, Jay.
Well I have to say that for some reason Mal and I just aren't seeing eye to eye the last 6 months or so. I don't get it because on other topics I think we are coming from the same POV.

I guess I shouldn't pile on, but his sig change to jump to the gun on chewing out JO bugged me and represented the overall tone of several posters. Plus he's old school and a central figure, so I guess I expected more, that left me a little bitter obviously.

Ironically my bitterness is driven by the hostility and over the top responses by other posters, and when things aren't as bad or good or whatever as they said then I get that chip to come back and say "see, was it worth losing your mind over". If Mal hadn't flipped out originally about JO then I wouldn't have had the chip....I guess it just ends up perpetuating things instead.

Pacersfan46
08-08-2007, 05:08 PM
You guys complaining are weird.

Go Reggie, get that title. I'd cry out of happiness for days if he gets one, and I don't care if it's not here.

He's not turning his back on us, or betraying us, or any of that junk. You sound like a group of women overdramatizing their lives. It's just not that deep.

-- Steve --

Hicks
08-08-2007, 05:12 PM
While I'm with Kegboy in lacking belief (edit, well not now that Reggie confirmed it), I find a certain level of irony that you put up your "Ron/JO/Reggie" photo sig trashing them out in comparison to Reggie. You jumped the gun on JO and found out that Reggie can be (maybe) just as selfish.

I mean how is it wrong for JO to want to go to another team but not wrong for Reggie to do the same? Heck, he retired and took a free year of pay rather than deal with Indy, and then goes to another team just to blatently chase a ring?

I can't explain it to you, and at this point I seriously question if you'll ever understand. Ask someone else, and try not going out of your way to "correct" me from now on. It generates much of the hostility I happen to be feeling right now.

Naptown_Seth
08-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Reggie isn't going to the HOF and doesn't already have his number in the rafters based on titles he won or number of AS games or number of All-Pro teams. He's going because of clutch shots, and with the Pacers aspect at least because he's a lifer Pacer and stood behind them all the way down the line.

He's already gotten credit for doing that. So he loses credit if he undoes it. And more so since he spoke out against it previously.

Just like if JO does get traded we find out it's because he did secretly demand it, or if when he gets to LA he says "man, I'm glad I got out of there, I hated being a Pacer" then he'd lose all the credit he has now for not having that attitude.

And since you've already given them credit for these actions you feel an extra twinge of disgust that at least for some period of time that credit is gone for good, you can never undo supporting them for something they didn't actually live up to.

NEITHER HAVE DONE ANYTHING YET, so there is no reason to really be upset with JO or Reggie. When JO opts out and signs with the Pistons, THEN you can be PO'd. I'll fully support and understand it. Even though he has the legal right to do just that.

Lord Helmet
08-08-2007, 05:34 PM
They are going to discuss this on PTI after a bit. FYI.

The lead in by Kornheiser was something like in today's episode Barry Bonds hits a home run and Reggie Miller considers a comeback at 56 years old.

Hicks
08-08-2007, 05:45 PM
When JO opts out and signs with the Pistons, THEN you can be PO'd. I'll fully support and understand it. Even though he has the legal right to do just that.

Yes sir, thank you sir. :usa:

Screw it, where's grace's paper plate?

LG33
08-08-2007, 05:46 PM
They are going to discuss this on PTI after a bit. FYI.

The lead in by Kornheiser was something like in today's episode Barry Bonds hits a home run and Reggie Miller considers a comeback at 56 years old.

Finally, Wilbon and Kornheiser again! YAY!

Lord Helmet
08-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Finally, Wilbon and Kornheiser again! YAY!
:buddies:

Lord Helmet
08-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Wilbon said he spoke to Reggie last night, and he said Reggie is "seriously" cosidering it.

I'm slowly dying inside.

What really sucks is I can't stomach this, or at least be happy Reggie might play again. It just won't be the same. :sigh:

Kstat
08-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Other than his "played his whole career with one team" mark, what exactly does Reggie have to lose?

Lord Helmet
08-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Other than his "played his own career with one team" mark, what exactly does Reggie have to lose?
Oh come on man.

BoomBaby33
08-08-2007, 06:02 PM
I gotta say that, although this would really hurt seeing him in another jersey, i would love to see Reg playing again. I said it 1-2 years ago that I would love to see him coming out of retirement to play with the Suns. And its not like he is going to the Knicks, Lakers, or the Pistons - he knows better. Yeah - OK - its the Celtics, but growing up in the big TH in the late 70's, of course I am somewhat of a fan of the C's and LB - but not really since LB retired.

With KG, Ray, PP, Scot and all the other good guys they have on that team, I would love to see him give it another shot. All the players the Celts have now, you find yourself rooting for. I just dont want him to embarrass himself defensively (as someone else said). But I wouldn't doubt his work ethic one bit, I know he would make us proud!

Plus think about it, we could go to Conseco and see him play again. They would sell the place out again, thats for sure.

Im not only a huge Pacer fan, but I am also a huge Reggie fan obviously. He put the Pacer's on the map and sacrificed 18 years with the same team.

I say give 'em hell Reg. You deserve it, and I would not think anything bad of you chasing a ring. Especially the way you had to leave the game to start with (dealing with psycho and jack). Who doesn't want to win it all. Heck, he put out so much of himself trying get past Ewing, MJ, then Shaq - all for us Indiana Pacer fans. 3 of the better players ever in the NBA. Who are we to be selfish.

Go Reg!

Go Pacers!

Kstat
08-08-2007, 06:03 PM
people change?

I dunno what else you want me to say...

I had to watch numerous lifelong Pistons gravy-train on other teams.

Lord Helmet
08-08-2007, 06:05 PM
people change?

I dunno what else you want me to say...

I had to watch numerous lifelong Pistons gravy-train on other teams.
Well it wasn't that fun doing it, was it?

Los Angeles
08-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Other than his "played his own career with one team" mark, what exactly does Reggie have to lose?

His integrity, his support among fans and his legend as a player who "left it all on the court". In the end, failed comebacks DO in fact diminish the pre-retirement accomplishments of players.

I don't doubt that Reggie has something left in the tank. I just doubt that he has something left to offer the game.

Personally, I can't stand the idea of a "Overweight Vegas Comback" Reggie.

http://www.kingofwalks.org/elvis2.jpg

Kstat
08-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Well it wasn't that fun doing it, was it?

Didn't make me respect Salley or Rodman any less...

Lord Helmet
08-08-2007, 06:15 PM
I'll still respect Reggie, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be happy about it, or enjoy it.

Trader Joe
08-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Am I the only one who would want Reggie's jersey taken down if he did this? At least until he retired again? Good Lord. This blows.

Erik
08-08-2007, 06:28 PM
i guess i'm in the minority, i'm all for it. to me it seems like if they're (celts w/reg) sucsessful it gives me a team to root for in the playoffs. he went out with class and anyone that watches reggie play will always have the pacers in the back of their mind. he should go for it, it would be exciting.

Evan_The_Dude
08-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Reggie wants a ring, and even knowing that he's 42 years old Boston wants to bring him in because they feel he can help them win a championship. Put yourself in Reggie's shoes. You busted your *** for 18 years to try to win a championship, and it never happened. You've been out of the league 3 seasons and probably have dreams and day dreams about holding up that trophy. Suddenly Boston, a team that obviously has the pieces to win a championship gives you a call and feels that you can help them get that trophy while getting yourself a ring.

Tell me you wouldn't think long and hard about that. As a fan of Reggie Miller, I think he deserves that ring. Our team management didn't do quite enough to get players good enough to get the team a trophy. That's not Reggie's fault. At this point and in this circumstance, I don't think him making a return to a different team that has players that are equally as hungry to win in Pierce, Garnett, and Ray Allen, would hurt his legacy as an Indiana Pacer. The selfish me would like to say that he was always a Pacer and never played in another uniform, but the Reggie Miller fan in me would like to see him get that ring that he busted his *** all those years for.

diamonddave00
08-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Reggie averaging 6 ppg off the Celtics bench who would have thought it would happen? Still figure its no better than a 25% chance it happens. Reggie's ego is stroked but I don't see him coming back .

BoomBaby31
08-08-2007, 06:38 PM
It was apparent that Reggie wasn't ready to retire he still had game, and the hoopla of his age was more mental then physical. He wasn't the beast he use to be but, he was still a top player in the league. You only live once, and you need to let the game leave you, not leave the game especially if you aren't ready. I bet Reggie has been kicking himself, ever since he retired. I mean how can you come back after that huge going away party at Conseco. I was literally in tears, during that ceremony and he knows many other fans were just like me. To me I say Reggie you left too damn early, this day in age youth stays around longer. I went and seen B-Hop fight a couple weeks ago, and that man is 42 almost 43. He isn't letting all of the age talk get to him, LET THE GAME LEAVE YOU, DON'T LEAVE THE GAME. I say Reggie comeback if you can, in a couple years you won't be able too so make your decision fast. I'd love to see Ray and Reggie sharpshoot their way into the playoffs, and make a title run. I think alot of you will be suprised how much he actually contributes to the team.

GO!!!!!
08-08-2007, 06:53 PM
It's Reg's Call, if anything it goes to say he is one of the most passionate players of the game ever to be played, your telling me if you was in his position you would just stay and commentate, if Ainge offered me a chance as Reg to play with KG, PP, RA and I felt I could commit I would give it chance... add in Pollard and it could be enjoyable, mind you I am 42 and not sure I’d like to play 82 Games a year but Reg knows best if he is able to commit 110 %

I wouldn’t say No, and to most people that say No, there perspective is to a certain degree selfish..

Big Smooth
08-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Seeing Reggie come back and play again doesn't rank among the top things I've been waiting to see happen but if he does go to Boston, I'm fully supportive and yes I'd cheer for him to get that ring. Maybe it's the fact that I've NEVER had any of this Celtics hate in my blood that appears to be fairly strong in some folks in this thread.

But yeah I'd like to think this would be not 100% about the ring and that Reggie still has "love for the game" angle in there too. I mean I'm sure he realizes that Boston is far from a sure bet to win a title, if he just wanted an easy ring then maybe he'd call up the Spurs. :D

Reggie did what he did as an Indiana Pacer and NOTHING is going to change that in my mind. That is just my feelings on the subject.

Big Smooth
08-08-2007, 06:55 PM
I wouldn’t say No, and to most people that say No, there perspective is to a certain degree selfish..

I agree with that remark.

avoidingtheclowns
08-08-2007, 06:59 PM

two big differences...

1) they'd already helped you win 2 championships
2) neither rodman and salley were the face of the pistons, they were role players. i don't remember seeing isaiah or dumars run to another team for a ring

can you really call rodman a lifetime piston? he played 14 years and 7 for detroit. hardly 18 years.

Fireball Kid
08-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Another reason for me to watch the Celtics. I'll support Reggie no matter what.

317Kim
08-08-2007, 07:05 PM
I want to support Reggie, but a part of me is hurt. When we said goodbye to Reggie, I was torn. Now that he may be coming back, but to a different team, I feel sick.

I honestly don't want to see Reggie Miller in another jersey.

Edit - It was hard enough saying goobye the first time, I don't know if I'll be able to do it a second time.

ChicagoJ
08-08-2007, 07:10 PM
I actually don't care if Reggie plays for another team or not. I think the "18 years with one team" stat is contrived anyway. Its not like it would have been true if the Knicks didn't immediately sign Allan Houston in '96. (but thank God we didn't have to rely on our 'plan B' as Bryant Stith went into rapid decline pretty quickly after that...) We have to thank the Knicks that Reggie was always a Pacer, not Reggie.

But the Celtics... it doesn't matter who goes there, I don't like the Green Guys.

Evan_The_Dude
08-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Its not like it would have been true if the Knicks didn't immediately sign Allan Houston in '96.

You're bringing back a horrible summer memory for me. I don't remember that being very immediate at all. I remember it taking half the damn summer with me saying prayers every day that Reggie didn't leave to play for the Knicks or anyone else. Or maybe it just seemed that long...

ChicagoJ
08-08-2007, 07:15 PM
The Knicks immedetialy signed Allan Houston as soon as the annual summer moratrioum was lifted, but it did take Reggie and the Pacers all summer to work out a deal even though there weren't any other legit choices (except perhaps Denver, and that's why we looked into bringing in Stith in the first place.)

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20F11FB3A5D0C738DDDAE0894DE494D 81&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fM%2f Miller%2c%20Reggie

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50C14F63C5D0C728EDDAA0894DE494D 81&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fM%2f Miller%2c%20Reggie

City of Big Sholdas
08-08-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm not. I never thought he was a ring chaser.

Thats kinda a smack in the face of Indiana to join a team in the same division of Indiana. If he does, I will be there at the four games that we play him and I'll probably have a sore throat the next day.

They arent in the same division! They are in the same conference, which is a big difference! If he comes back, the rest of the East is doomed! :eek:

MSA2CF
08-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Maybe it's because I haven't been on Pacersdigest since April and I'm all disconnected from the community here, but I really thought there'd be more outrage on PD. Well, if anyone cares what I think, I hope Reggie takes a solid amount of time to think about this and doesn't rush into it. It would be so easy for him to say, "Ooh! Ooh! More money & maybe a ring!" and then jump right in without considering how us fans feel. Maybe deep down inside he doesn't actually care what his legacy is, and then that's just the way it is. But, I have to think that, after calling himself a Hoosier for life or something like that, that he'd be respectful to us Pacers fans. Then again, I don't know the guy one bit personally. I guess my personal feelings would be that he'd diminish himself in my eyes by leaving for another team; that's how I felt about both Jordan and Malone. I have a great deal of respect for guys who stay loyal. I'd lose some of that for Reggie.

Now, if he came back to the Pacers, that's pretty different. I still would cringe every time he would take a shot, but I did that for the last two years he played because I never thought it would go in...but it usually did. ;) If I were Reggie's daddy, I'd suggest he be content with not winning a championship as a player. There are bigger things in life.

TMJ31
08-08-2007, 07:32 PM
I would be so incredibly emotionally conflicted if this were to happen.

I really do not know how I would feel.

I would be ecstatic to be watching Reg play again, but not in a Pacers Uni... It would just be... wrong...

Plus it would obligate me to have to watch EVERY celtics game, meaning Tommy Heinsohn in large doses!

NO THANKS!

Sollozzo
08-08-2007, 07:37 PM
The Knicks immedetialy signed Allan Houston as soon as the annual summer moratrioum was lifted, but it did take Reggie and the Pacers all summer to work out a deal even though there weren't any other legit choices (except perhaps Denver, and that's why we looked into bringing in Stith in the first place.)

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20F11FB3A5D0C738DDDAE0894DE494D 81&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fM%2f Miller%2c%20Reggie

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50C14F63C5D0C728EDDAA0894DE494D 81&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fM%2f Miller%2c%20Reggie

And on a side note, I personally think that in 2003 that if we wouldn't have offered him such a nice contract and would have offered what Los Angeles or New Jersey would have offerd, that he would have thought long and hard about going to either of those teams.

Just my opinion, of course.

Reggierock
08-08-2007, 07:45 PM
I would be outraged beyond words...Apart of idolizing Reggie as a kid was that he was a Pacer his whole career...I dunno what to think at this point.

Pacers#1Fan
08-08-2007, 07:51 PM
He'll lose the majority of the respect I have for him.

BlueNGold
08-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Opinions are going to be all across the board on this.

I am happy for Reggie and want him to come back...in green or whatever color he wants. Reggie has earned whatever he wants to do as long as it's legal. He paid his dues to the franchise unlike many of the clowns who have worn the uni over the last 5 years.

I am a little surprised he did not contact Walsh, however. Nevertheless, I don't blame him for choosing a different team. Who would want to join this mess?

This might be about him wanting a championship, but it's also about him having some fun playing basketball with other great veterans IMO. The Celtics will be getting a lot of attention.

...and it's gotta be better than sitting across from that other guy who doesn't have any hardware (Sir Charles).

LG33
08-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Maybe it's because I haven't been on Pacersdigest since April and I'm all disconnected from the community here, but I really thought there'd be more outrage on PD.

We're all pretty much outraged-out.

TheSauceMaster
08-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Reggie has earned whatever he wants to do as long as it's legal. He paid his dues to the franchise unlike many of the clowns who have worn the uni over the last 5 years.

I am a little surprised he did not contact Walsh, however. Nevertheless, I don't blame him for choosing a different team. Who would want to join this mess?

Pretty much how I feel about it.

BlueNGold
08-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Pretty much how I feel about it.

I will be rooting for the Celtics this coming season if Miller is a Celtic, except when we play them.

OnlyPacersLeft
08-08-2007, 08:48 PM
this can't happen.....can it? :(

BostonConnection
08-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Geez, everytime I think the Celts can't possibly generate more press this off-season than they have in the past 15 years they go and pull this one out of nowhere! Reggie a potential Celtic? I wouldn't have been more surprised if they had said they asked Bird to come out of coaching retirement to coach Boston.

I gotta believe that deep down, as much as Reggie wants a ring he really does value the fact that he played his whole career with one team, and that ultimately will be the factor that leads to the "I was flattered to be asked, but after thinking it over..." speech to say thanks, but no thanks. I just can't imagine him in another uniform other than Pacer Blue and Gold; I wonder if he can truly imagine it at this point.

I need to call SuperReggie to see if she's heard the rumor - she's gonna flip out! :eek:

BoomBaby33
08-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Maybe it's because I haven't been on Pacersdigest since April and I'm all disconnected from the community here, but I really thought there'd be more outrage on PD. Well, if anyone cares what I think, I hope Reggie takes a solid amount of time to think about this and doesn't rush into it. It would be so easy for him to say, "Ooh! Ooh! More money & maybe a ring!" and then jump right in without considering how us fans feel. Maybe deep down inside he doesn't actually care what his legacy is, and then that's just the way it is. But, I have to think that, after calling himself a Hoosier for life or something like that, that he'd be respectful to us Pacers fans. Then again, I don't know the guy one bit personally. I guess my personal feelings would be that he'd diminish himself in my eyes by leaving for another team; that's how I felt about both Jordan and Malone. I have a great deal of respect for guys who stay loyal. I'd lose some of that for Reggie.

Now, if he came back to the Pacers, that's pretty different. I still would cringe every time he would take a shot, but I did that for the last two years he played because I never thought it would go in...but it usually did. ;) If I were Reggie's daddy, I'd suggest he be content with not winning a championship as a player. There are bigger things in life.

Well, I don't think that its about the money for Reg with his TNT gig and a few of his other endorsements. Its clearly about his love and passion for the game and the fact he loves to compete and be an underdog.

I do agree with you that I hope Reg takes some time to think this over, its a big decision. I would say about 95% of players coming out of retirement never return to their old glory, especially at 42.

Contrary to popular current opinion about the Celtics, they haven't proven anything yet - its not like they are coming back from an almost good team. There coming back from the lottery. There are a lot of unknowns with the Celts actually. Chemistry? So-far, everything is only on paper. If Reg was trying to get a ring for the sole purpose of getting a ring, he would have accepted Mark Cuban's offer last year to come back with the Mavs, or called up the Spurs like BigSmooth mentioned.

I also don't think he would come back to the Pacers. His legacy as a Pacer is from 1987-2005. However, that would be one of only a few ways he could ruin his Pacer legacy IMO. I previously stated some other reasons - that being if he came back as a Piston, Knick, Laker, or a Bull. The 4 teams that the Pacer nation love to hate. I could see Reg in any other NBA uniform actually, and I would root for his team when they came to Conseco (well actually just Reg). Reggie would still be a "Hoosier for life" in that case, but if he came back to any of those previous 4 teams, he would then have ruined his legacy and never be a hoosier for life (or Pacer for life).

And the other thing i was thinking about on the way home from work is that Reg didn't make the call, Ainge did. So its definitely not like he is out campaining for a comeback.

TheSauceMaster
08-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Maybe Reggie is trying to test the waters to see how many teams would be intrested. :confused:

Maybe Reggie has talked to Walsh about this and he gave his approval ? I don't think Walsh would discourage Reggie not to do what he feels is right.

BoomBaby33
08-08-2007, 08:59 PM
This might be about him wanting a championship, but it's also about him having some fun playing basketball with other great veterans IMO. The Celtics will be getting a lot of attention.

You make a great point! Like I said, its definitely NOT about the money, or not even necessarily about the ring. Its about competing for Reg. But I cant see him sitting and playing only 15 minutes a game. Like Slick would say, hes a competitor baby!

Big Smooth
08-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Why would he contact Walsh? From everything I've read it was the Celtics who contacted Reggie. It's not like Reggie has been actively contacting teams looking for a roster spot.

heywoode
08-08-2007, 09:01 PM
I think he gave the same statement he did about the Mavs offer last year...with the twist of thinking more about it than he did the Mavs offer because of the new Celtics lineup.

I don't think he is seriously considering it; he was clearly just getting by when he retired and he is now two years removed. Even considering how he keeps himself in great shape, there is no way he is in NBA shape and it would take too much work to try and get back his game legs and lungs.

He may be just far enough removed from the game and the lifestyle to finally start to have legitimate thoughts of missing it all, but I can't see Reggie wanting to win a ring that way. Regardless of what anyone may say along the lines of "a ring is a ring, regardless", that just isn't so.

I played competitively for many years in many different sports (not that it compares in any way to Reggie's mindset) and I know how I would feel about it. I would feel great about the ring he would've won when they got to the finals in 2000, or any of the years we lost to the Bulls or Knicks. I would've felt great about a ring the year of the brawl. Had I been Reggie and went to the Heat for one year and won a ring, I wouldn't have felt nearly a part of that team as any Pacers team he was a part of. I have to believe it would feel like it had an asterisk beside it for all eternity, and I would have to believe that a ring with Boston (which is in no way guaranteed or even highly likely) would feel the same way. Especially having retired, gone through all the ceremony that he did....It just wouldn't feel right.

It would be along the lines of Stephen Jackson giving Reggie his ring or Reggie getting a "because we love you" ring had they won the year after he retired....He was too much a competitor for too long at the highest level to not know the difference between a ring earned and a ring like he would get if he came back with anyone for a year.

I firmly believe that he has the right to do whatever he wants, regardless of what he has or hasn't done and accomplished as a Pacer. Doesn't mean I will like it...

Until I hear more from him than the statement he has made so far, I will withhold further comment.

Shade
08-08-2007, 09:09 PM
I don't think I would be angry if Reggie did this, but I'd be very, very hurt. And I'd definitely lose a good deal of respect for him for it.

rexnom
08-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't think I would be angry if Reggie did this, but I'd be very, very hurt. And I'd definitely lose a good deal of respect for him for it.
Now this summarizes my perspective on it. I want to be nicer and less selfish about it but I can't.

Trader Joe
08-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I have something in my closet that says "I attended Reggie Miller's last regular season game." That means something to me. For him to come back would just cheapen all the emotions. The standing ovation, Brown calling the extra timeout. What a special way to go out and to throw that all away to chase a ring? Boo.

LG33
08-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I have something in my closet that says "I attended Reggie Miller's last regular season game." That means something to me. For him to come back would just cheapen all the emotions. The standing ovation, Brown calling the extra timeout. What a special way to go out and to throw that all away to chase a ring? Boo.

Two Things
1) "Cheapen all the emotions" = "lessen the value of that shirt on EBAY"?
2) If Larry Brown called an extra timeout, we should have gotten a free throw, and we could have won that damn game! I'm gonna go check if Donaghy was officiating that one...

Trader Joe
08-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Two Things
1) "Cheapen all the emotions" = "lessen the value of that shirt on EBAY"?
2) If Larry Brown called an extra timeout, we should have gotten a free throw, and we could have won that damn game! I'm gonna go check if Donaghy was officiating that one...

Its not a shirt...

LG33
08-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Its not a shirt...

Oh, well then can I rescind my bid?

pacerwaala
08-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Reggie has something that only a few players like Stockton, Bird, Isiah and Bird etc have.(playing for the same team all their career). Even all these other players did not go through all the things that a franchise can go through (playoff runs, championship runs, rebuilding, playoff runs, brawl, playoffs, great last game, etc). The other players made good playoff runs till the end and called it quits. Reggie went through the gamut of things that a professional sports team can go through. I have never seen anyone have a sendoff like Reggie had in all of professional sports.

My humble suggestion and opinion is to not do it but I am not his shoes. I do not know how he misses the game, limelight,etc. From what I have observed of him, I think he is smart enough to not do it.

I even don't think that the Celtics will get past the Pistons in the East any way. So it is not like they are a lock to even get to the Finals. Basketball is a complicated game where there is a small little thing called chemistry and playing together. Who exactly can come of the bench and who exactly is their point guard. Do you think they can win with that PG lineup.

Evan_The_Dude
08-08-2007, 10:15 PM
The comeback is a failure if he doesn't win a championship. He SHOULD think about that part of it.

Major Cold
08-08-2007, 10:20 PM
If Miller goes to Boston then this means nothing to me any longer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dg01iWlRCY

That was the most touching moment in Basketball that I observed.

<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9dg01iWlRCY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

BlueNGold
08-08-2007, 10:44 PM
The comeback is a failure if he doesn't win a championship. He SHOULD think about that part of it.

Good point. I'm OK with whatever decision he makes, but that has to weigh heavily in his decision.

In truth, the Celtics will not win it. They are not good at C and PG, two key positions. They have no post game. Pollard and Miller are ripe and beginning to stink by now. Even if Miller still plays well, he is redundant with Ray Allen playing 30 minutes at SG. Neither Allen nor Miller is a SF or PG...so they naturally should not be on the court at the same time....although it might be interesting to see that.

Sure, the Celtics will be a lot better, but I do believe Reggie is taking a risk and has more to lose here. In any event, I will be rooting for those guys if Miller puts on Celtic green.

jeffg-body
08-08-2007, 10:48 PM
When I first heard it I had to discount it as ESPN nonsense, but now that it is everywhere, this sickens me some. If we are still looking for shooters, why didn't we (LB/DW) call Reggie. We got rid of most of the riff raff that he hated and I think even at age 42 he would really enjoy 20 minutes a night of JOB/YMCA chuck it 3 ball. Reggie's presence alone would make this team much, much better. :eek:

BlueNGold
08-08-2007, 10:55 PM
When I first heard it I had to discount it as ESPN nonsense, but now that it is everywhere, this sickens me some. If we are still looking for shooters, why didn't we (LB/DW) call Reggie. We got rid of most of the riff raff that he hated and I think even at age 42 he would really enjoy 20 minutes a night of JOB/YMCA chuck it 3 ball. Reggie's presence alone would make this team much, much better. :eek:

Reggie is not going to waste his time...if he has any left...on the Pacers.

If he does accept the offer from Boston, it's strictly because he wants to play with a group of all-star vets and go for a championship. I suspect if Pierce and Allen joined KG in Minnesota, it would be the same scenario.

It has everything to do with playing on a team with not only very talented players thirsting for a championship but also... UNSELFISH...AND MATURE...players. Something he did not get a chance to do the last couple years in Indiana.

Shade
08-08-2007, 11:06 PM
If Miller goes to Boston then this means nothing to me any longer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dg01iWlRCY

That was the most touching moment in Basketball that I observed.

<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9dg01iWlRCY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

I almost cried watching that again.

In many ways, the Pacers died on that day.

Shade
08-08-2007, 11:08 PM

Maybe because Reggie assured them 49769579461954789 times that he wasn't coming back?

Naptown_Seth
08-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Reggie is not going to waste his time...if he has any left...on the Pacers.

If he does accept the offer from Boston, it's strictly because he wants to play with a group of all-star vets and go for a championship. I suspect if Pierce and Allen joined KG in Minnesota, it would be the same scenario.

It has everything to do with playing on a team with not only very talented players thirsting for a championship but also... UNSELFISH...AND MATURE...players. Something he did not get a chance to do the last couple years in Indiana.
Then why not the Pistons last year? Why even retire?

He retired FROM THE NBA, not the Pacers. I'm certain that at the time they would have made it possible for him to join another team, such as Dallas or Phoenix or whatever contender you think has the kind of vet talent that Boston currently does.

But at the time his attitude was "chasing rings isn't the same as being the central guy in my own lifelong show, the place that's always been my home".

He should remember that stuff, he should remember that there were reasons that it was time to stop. 32% from 3 was one of those reasons. A guy like Ben Wallace blowing up his final 3 miracle attempt was a reason. Choking on the game clinching 3 in his final regular season game vs the Bulls, yet one more.

This is final year retired Reggie + a few years out of the game that we're talking about.

Am I the only one old enough to appreciate Mays of the Mets or Namath of the Rams and how they lingered too long? Nothing those guys did with those teams has one freaking thing to do with their status and legend now. It didn't help, it only hurt.

Even if Reggie were to get a ring, what kind of ring would it be? Would it be "without me they couldn't have done it"? Or would it be a Will Purdue/Luc Longley ring? Payton got his ring, but seriously who hears Payton and pictures him with the Heat if you saw his entire career? When they talk HOF that ring won't mean a thing because he was only a minor aspect of it. It will be his Seattle days that get him in the hall.

Magic came back with the Lakers and even that is mostly forgotten.

By the way, "this mess" is supposed to have great locker room chemistry now. Maybe Reggie is more of the "missing ingrediant" for a team like this than for the Celtics. The team's main need is 3pt shooters, everyone seems to agree on that. That and leadership. Wow, no way Reggie could actually impact this team.

Not that I'd want him to try really because I also don't think it's going to be like how people want it to be. You have Ray, Pierce and KG. You are down by 1 late in the game. Do you call the shot for Reggie Miller instead?

Rick Pitino was just heard to say...."Reggie ain't coming through that door...err, hold on just a second."

tora tora
08-08-2007, 11:49 PM
I still don't know why everybody is putting the Celtics in the NBA Finals. I predict the chemistry is going to be shot to hell and they'll still be a mediocre team. These "vets" they acquired don't exactly have much playoff experience either.

BlueNGold
08-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Then why not the Pistons last year? Why even retire?
...edit for brevity.

First, the Pistons were not a club thirsting for a championship.

I truly believe this is about the group of guys that joined the Celtics. Pollard headed that way too. It's a team of vets (old guys who relate) who want a ring. I don't blame them at all. No one is on anyone's coattails here like when players descended on LA and Miami to play with Shaq and/or Kobe. It would be a team effort and that ring would be well earned by each of them. They would have made the decision to join together to get it done...kind of like forming a partnership or business relationship. They are not pawns of management here...but are the one's calling at least some of the shots.

...and he knows these guys would play unselfishly and it would be the first time in awhile he had a chance to play with unselfish and mature players. I'm sure he misses the good 'ol days. Good for you Reg!

aero
08-09-2007, 12:34 AM
id be VERY angry if Reggie joined the Celtics. Id go into detail more but im too ****ed off

Bynum Brigade
08-09-2007, 12:36 AM
A ring as a second or third string bench player will do nothing for Reggie's legacy. He needs to show some dignity and pride by not joining the Cs. The only team he should consider returning to is the Pacers.

aero
08-09-2007, 12:45 AM
A ring as a second or third string bench player will do nothing for Reggie's legacy. He needs to show some dignity and pride by not joining the Cs. The only team he should consider returning to is the Pacers.

thank you. :buddies:

TMJ31
08-09-2007, 02:13 AM
I posted my feelings on this subject on my blog

(no off-site redirection to personal commercialised pages, see the rules, A)
(This is a forum, you post your comment here or not, that is free and up to you, people should not have to endure off-site links to read what you want to say, we provide the space for free)

Basically-- either way this turns out.. it is heartbreak for any true Reggie Miller fan.

Peck
08-09-2007, 02:39 AM
I did want to add one little thing to my earlier post.

While I will never fault Reggie if he does choose to do this, he is a free man, I will never cheer him on another team.

If he would join up with Boston the moment he dons the green he will become nothing but a F'n Celtic to me.

That doesn't mean that I have to think anything less about what he did here as a player.

But this is a two way street fellas.

If he doesn't owe the fans of this franchise anything because he paid his dues here (I'll certainly agree to that) then we don't owe him a thing from here forward either if he joins another club.

I sure as hell won't be standing with my arms stretched out in the three point motion if he curls off of a screen by Perkins.

Again, this isn't hate and it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what he did here. But I root for the Pacers, not Reggie Miller.

When Reggie was a Pacer yes, absolutely. But once he becomes a Celtic, then all bets are off.

The first flop he pulled on our team or the first time he stuck out his leg while shooting a three I will B@tch like there is no tomorrow.

denyfizle
08-09-2007, 03:06 AM

i 2nd this... a lot of superstars would've given it all to have the kind of exit regg had... AI is on the record sayin he'd want 2 go out like him. if his reason is 2 chase a ring then why did he leave in the first place??? we had the best chance to go 4 the brass ring when he chose to walk away '4 good n not pull a jordan and come back'.... i dunno. just seems dumb 2 me.

Pacemaker
08-09-2007, 03:15 AM
Do it Reg... by doing this you'll make this season worth for me since the Pacers have done absolutely nothing of my interest. Shame on you Pacers Front Office!!!

Young
08-09-2007, 03:22 AM
Here is what I think about this whole thing.

If Reggie comes back to any team, Boston or whoever it may be, it doesn't change what he did as a Pacer. It doesn't change one damn bit. For us, the storybook ending is no longer. But what Reggie did for this franchise, the community, all that won't change by him wearing a different jersey.

Will it be hard to accept? Heck yes. To see Reggie Miller come and play in Conseco Fieldhouse and not be wearing a Indiana Pacer jersey would hurt.

To be honest though, for Reggie it won't change his legacy. Just like Gary Payton and Alonzo Mouring don't have a greater legacy because they won a ring. When you just jump ship to chase a ring it's a lot different when you actually lead a franchise to one as the franchise player. At the same time i'm sure it's just that feeling of winning a ring that Reggie is after but IMO it won't be nearly as satisfying as winning a ring as a Pacer would have been.

One more thing, Reggie should have a ring. I think we were the best team in 2003-2004 and we probably would have been in 2004-2005 as well. But hey the chips didn't fall in the right places for us and we won no championship(s).

So it would be hard to see Reggie playing for another team, my view on him would change a little but i'd still respect and love his game as much as I do now. I love the Pacers but a big part of my love and passion for the Pacers is because of what Reggie did for this franchise. So to see Reggie playing for any other team would be hard to accept but not the end of the world.

ABADays
08-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Am I the only one old enough to appreciate Mays of the Mets or Namath of the Rams and how they lingered too long? Nothing those guys did with those teams has one freaking thing to do with their status and legend now. It didn't help, it only hurt.

I remember that too. Don't forget Unitas with the Chargers. Fiasco.

I really, really do not see how winning a championship NOT with the Pacers would mean anything to him. It would disappoint me tremendously.

McClintic Sphere
08-09-2007, 08:10 AM
This would put the final nail in the coffin for any interest I have in the NBA for the forseeable future.

bellisimo
08-09-2007, 08:11 AM
I remember that too. Don't forget Unitas with the Chargers. Fiasco.

I really, really do not see how winning a championship NOT with the Pacers would man anything to him. It would disappoint me tremendously.

totally agree.

RWB
08-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Dear Reggie,

If you're really missing the NBA maybe it's time to reconsider coaching.

RWB

8.9_seconds
08-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Reggie can do whatever he wants.

With that said, I want to address other things.

I watched Reggie Miller play the majority of my life. I knew who he was before Michael Jordan or Larry Bird. Yeah, I was a Pacers fan, but I was also a Reggie Miller fan. Reggie means something to all of us. For me, Reggie represents hard work, determination, and loyalty. Some may say that he's no longer loyal to us or never had an obligation to us in the first place, and after all, he did retire two years ago.

Well, you know what, screw all that, because guess what, he does owe alot to us. I don't care what anybody says. He is just one man, he is an athlete, and he controls his own life, but who was here all of those years for him? Who had unconditional love and support for him? Reggie was an amazing player and an amazing guy to look up to, but he had a great support system around him too.

I'm not saying that I'm right, or those who feel some other way are right. I do want to say though that in my heart and in my mind, that's what I feel. I will admit that I'm probably wrong. I know in the end, as I have said, that it's his life, but I'm his fan, doesn't that mean anything any more?

owl
08-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Seth said..."Even if Reggie were to get a ring, what kind of ring would it be? Would it be "without me they couldn't have done it"? Or would it be a Will Purdue/Luc Longley ring? Payton got his ring, but seriously who hears Payton and pictures him with the Heat if you saw his entire career? When they talk HOF that ring won't mean a thing because he was only a minor aspect of it. It will be his Seattle days that get him in the hall.

Magic came back with the Lakers and even that is mostly forgotten."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

I feel that if he wants to give a go, I say more power to him. I would enjoy seeing Reggie play one more season, whereever that is. Plus if he still has
game and gives fans some Reggie moments, believe me, it will only add to
his Hall of Fame career and will not be a forgotten foot note. However if
he struggles then it will not be remembered.

naptownmenace
08-09-2007, 09:39 AM
I'd be awesome to see Reggie Miller playing basketball again.

I haven't read all the other replies but this was my initial reation.

It would suck to see him in Celtics green, but I'd still root for him to play great as long as it wasn't against the Pacers. I'd much rather he go play for the Mavs or the Spurs (or the Pacers duh!) than for Boston though.

JayRedd
08-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Jerry Rice played for the Seahawks. Michael Jordan played for the Wizards. Babe Ruth played for the Boston Braves. Willie Mays played for the New York Mets. Muhammad Ali got his *** kicked in 3 of his last 4 fights.

There's no way possible that Reggie can tarnish a thing he's ever done.

Why you guys think your opinion should have any factor is his personal life choices is beyond me.

Hicks
08-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Why you guys think your opinion should have any factor is his personal life choices is beyond me.

I don't think anyone is saying it does. People are just letting their emotions out and explaining how, personally, they will see Reggie if he does this.

ChicagoJ
08-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I did want to add one little thing to my earlier post.

While I will never fault Reggie if he does choose to do this, he is a free man, I will never cheer him on another team.

If he would join up with Boston the moment he dons the green he will become nothing but a F'n Celtic to me.

That doesn't mean that I have to think anything less about what he did here as a player.

But this is a two way street fellas.

If he doesn't owe the fans of this franchise anything because he paid his dues here (I'll certainly agree to that) then we don't owe him a thing from here forward either if he joins another club.

I sure as hell won't be standing with my arms stretched out in the three point motion if he curls off of a screen by Perkins.

Again, this isn't hate and it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what he did here. But I root for the Pacers, not Reggie Miller.

When Reggie was a Pacer yes, absolutely. But once he becomes a Celtic, then all bets are off.

The first flop he pulled on our team or the first time he stuck out his leg while shooting a three I will B@tch like there is no tomorrow.

Post of the day.

Naptown_Seth
08-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Post of the day.
But did Peck pass the Portland-Detroit/Dale test? Hmmm, I wonder. ;)

Otherwise I somewhat agree. My reaction varies based on WHICH team and what the circumstances are. This isn't just going to a new team at the end of a contract, this is putting up this big show and stance regarding retirement and then backtracking on all of it too.

Jerry Rice played for the Seahawks. Michael Jordan played for the Wizards. Babe Ruth played for the Boston Braves. Willie Mays played for the New York Mets. Muhammad Ali got his *** kicked in 3 of his last 4 fights.

There's no way possible that Reggie can tarnish a thing he's ever done.

Do any of those items you mentioned look good on their resumes? Do they add to their legend? If you think of them do you not recall Mays falling haplessly or Ruth being rather pathetic or the joke that Namath was in LA?

So why do it, why do something that really won't help your legend but could add to it a couple of foolish looking moments. For all of Jordan at Washington what are the images you add to his resume from that? Maybe him punking on Kwame and later the view of him driving away from the facility for good.

Reggie has his entire career and it's true that it won't go away. So you have A, B, C, D...this great list. Why tack on the end of that X, Y and Z which are big dud moments and a little embarrassing?

Owl said they won't be remembered if they are bad. Sorry, but this very thread proves they will be. Mays falling in the outfield in particular was a vision a lot of fans wish they'd never seen.

To paraphrase a Sienfeld episode, better to leave 'em wanting more.

Naptown_Seth
08-09-2007, 12:28 PM
MagicRat, I gotta have a Going in Style version of these Celtics in action.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079219/

If it isn't in the vault then I guess I'll have to Netflix for the cap myself.

naptownmenace
08-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Reggie has his entire career and it's true that it won't go away. So you have A, B, C, D...this great list. Why tack on the end of that X, Y and Z which are big dud moments and a little embarrassing?

I can agree with that but... what if he comes back and is the integral 6th man or hits a game-winner during the ECF or better yet, what if he has one of those throw-back games during the Finals and re-enters the "ZONE" one more time?

I mean you make it seem like Reggie will embarrass himself if he decides to lace 'em up again. That's an uncertain thing. Even Jordan had some great games as a Wizard.

ChicagoJ
08-09-2007, 12:43 PM

I know that wasn't directed to me, but I'm going to ramble on anyway...

I'll tell ya, I did go (I think) to every one of Rifleman's returns to MSA. And I would wear my Rifleman Pacers jersey, but I did not cheer for the Wolves/ Spurs/ Hornets/ Sonics.

That wasn't easy. But hey, that's how I figured out 15 years ago that I cared more about the name on the front of the jersey than the name on the back.

There were two moments when Chuck played for the Spurs that stood out for me.

The first was during the game that Sam Mitchell eventually tackled Dennis Rodman - that was still a two possessoin game in the final minutes. I'd been taking a bunch of trash all game long from the drunks behind me (even though I was clearly cheering for the Pacers), Chuck got the ball wide open for a three pointer and they gasped in fear. In spite of all their talk, they really did fear him at crunch time.

A couple of years later was the year Chuck missed the entire season, and the year Roger Brown passed away. Chuck spent a lot of that spring in town helping Roger's family, and helped organize the charity event/ auction with Dale Davis. He was/is a "Pacer for Life", so it was very conflicting for me when he'd return.

(Then again, when Laettner was a rookie and still thinking he was some type of sex symbol, I remember hanging around the visitor's lockerroom at MSA after the Wolves game. Laettner came out to sign autographs, and there were more than a 1,000 people still there - but no groupies. Chuck came out to sign autographs and talk to old friends, and Laettner walked back into the lockerroom with a look of "what just happened?" on his face.)

I've vowed that I would never be torn between "player" and "team" after that, although when Rod Woodson left the Steelers it sent a similar shockwave. Joey Porter in Miami? He's already had surgery and will miss most of the preseason - I love Joey but I think the Steelers knew his days were numbered.

Ransom
08-09-2007, 12:54 PM
It would bug me a bit, but I'd still be happy if he got a ring.

As other people said though, while he was playing against the Pacers, I'd be rooting against him.

Maybe Pacers sign and trade Reggie for something? Bird and Ainge go way back, he might do it as a favor.

JayRedd
08-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Do any of those items you mentioned look good on their resumes? Do they add to their legend? If you think of them do you not recall Mays falling haplessly or Ruth being rather pathetic or the joke that Namath was in LA?

So why do it, why do something that really won't help your legend but could add to it a couple of foolish looking moments. For all of Jordan at Washington what are the images you add to his resume from that? Maybe him punking on Kwame and later the view of him driving away from the facility for good.

Because he wants to. Because he loves to play basketball.

I'm not tryna come off as being on a highhorse here, but this is something that always bothers me.

The problem a lot of fans seem to take on these comebacks is that it will ruin your memory of the person or that you don't want to see Mays falling in the outfield. And to me it's pretty selfish. That's about you. That's your memory.

Dude just wants to play. He's old. He's not that good anymore. And heck, he even knows that.

But he wants to play and wants to make more memores and he believes he can reach back and, if only occassionally, do some of the thing she used to do.

And if he wants to play and he's your favorite player and you actually admire and respect him for what he's about, then why wouldn't you admire and respect the fact that he just wants to put the jersey back on and play the game he loves. He can't walk away. He wants that feeling that only playing a sport you love can give you, if even knowingly that the feeling will be more few and far between then it was 10 years ago.

And most ex-players usually say that more than the competition and the time on the court, the thing they miss the most is the comraderie and locker room stuff and plane trips. It's also about getting that back. It's about them doing what they love and being in an environment that they cherish, even if it's only for a small fleeting amount of time.

It's not about glory. It's not about legacy. It's not about legend. It's not about what color the clothes are that they wear. And it's certainly not about aura and illusion of fan memories. It's about a person continuing to do the one thing that they love most and have devoted their lives to for the past 40 some odd years.

And I just can never understand why fans get so upset by watching past-their-prime athletes who are simply trying to enjoy the few final moments that their bodies will allow. Yes, we thought Reggie had already done that on his farewell tour, but apparently he may consider going it another round.

If he does, I say good luck, Uncle Reg. Enjoy and appreciate your final moments.

As for great images of Michael as a Wizard, I have several:

This New Jersey Nets game is still one of my favorite regular season games of all time.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/10/21/jordan011020.html

Then there's this, which became a magical night and prompted the best player of all time to reflect and enjoy himself and say stuff like this.

"It's been a long time since someone said that I was hanging in the air," Jordan said. "My rhythm, my timing was perfect, and I had the defense guessing. It was one of those nights."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2001/12/29/hornets_wizards_ap/

None of us can probably come close to understanding how great Michael felt that night.

Then, of couse, is this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-31VkTE4AVg

Peck
08-09-2007, 01:21 PM

Otherwise I somewhat agree. My reaction varies based on WHICH team and what the circumstances are. This isn't just going to a new team at the end of a contract, this is putting up this big show and stance regarding retirement and then backtracking on all of it too.

Owl said they won't be remembered if they are bad. Sorry, but this very thread proves they will be. Mays falling in the outfield in particular was a vision a lot of fans wish they'd never seen.

To paraphrase a Sienfeld episode, better to leave 'em wanting more.

Anybody from back in the day at the star or even on here can tell you the answer to that.

I never once cheered for Dale Davis as a Piston, Blazer or Warrior. I will not cheer for him if he is on another team this year.

Doesn't mean I didn't and still don't say that (back a couple of years ago) that he wouldn't be more than half of the solution to our problems (or as in the last couple of years) or a player like he used to be.

Also doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he did with the club. But when he is the opposition, he is the opposition.

However, let's just say, there is a possibility I won't need to worry about that next season.:cool:

LG33
08-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Well, some of us think he will regret the decision to return, especially if the Celtics don't fare as well as expected. I know what you're saying JR, but our dismay is not only about our memories and feelings, but his own as well.

And your link prompted me to click this one. :(
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FLhh2G-8Cyc&mode=related&search=
#2 looked like it caused a lot of agony

ChicagoJ
08-09-2007, 01:32 PM
However, let's just say, there is a possibility I won't need to worry about that next season.:cool:

YES!! I knew Larry would come through on his promise for a "shooter, one of the best in the league."

Rush was a smokescreen!

:brick:

Shade
08-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Anybody from back in the day at the star or even on here can tell you the answer to that.

I never once cheered for Dale Davis as a Piston, Blazer or Warrior. I will not cheer for him if he is on another team this year.

Doesn't mean I didn't and still don't say that (back a couple of years ago) that he wouldn't be more than half of the solution to our problems (or as in the last couple of years) or a player like he used to be.

Also doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he did with the club. But when he is the opposition, he is the opposition.

Mystery PF FTW!

Trader Joe
08-09-2007, 01:49 PM

So you're going to finally embrace JO as the heir to Dale Davis' throne? ;)

Kegboy
08-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Mystery PF FTW!

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/703/703_image_01.jpg

Move along, nothing to see here.

Smashed_Potato
08-10-2007, 03:57 AM
Why is Donnie actually surprised Reggie did not call the Pacers? he probably thought about pride which is why he was shocked. I hope Reggie does go to the Celtics he deserves a chance at a ring. he was almost their in 2000 but this time he will have a better chance.

Naptown_Seth
08-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Peck, I wasn't really wondering, I was just kidding around. Dale was not the same situation IMO (as Reggie would be now). Certainly no player that was simply traded was the same situation.

SMITS coming back to be a Knick, that would feel similar.

It's about "you told us you left the team because you couldn't play anymore, now we find out you don't really believe that?" It's about finding out that "it's not you, it's me" was really BS when you see your girl going to the dance with the current popular guy just because she might get named prom queen. And instead of it bothering you you say "can you blame her, I suck".

Then throw in the angle that your hero might also make a bit of a fool of himself in a rather whorish way and it just doesn't carry a ton of positives.

If the Pacers had kicked Reggie to the curb, if an injury had sent him out prematurely, then I can understand. But this is clearly "I'm fine with retirement unless I can get a free ring out of it". It has NOTHING to do with the burning desire to still play. If that was the case it wouldn't have been Ainge calling Reggie, it would have been Reggie's agent calling any/all teams trying to find a job ala Pippen last year.

Dude just wants to play. He's old. He's not that good anymore. And heck, he even knows that. This describes me. In other news, a certain NS received a certain phone call from a DA regarding his desire to have him join the Celtics too. Can you say "Mystery PG".

BillS
08-10-2007, 08:51 AM
If it wasn't on top of everything else over the last few years, it wouldn't bother me.

<i>Should this go through</i> - and I think we all have to acknowledge that this could be just a bunch of hype at this point - Pacer fans will feel kicked in the teeth and stabbed in the back, no matter what Reggie actually has a right to do.

These are feelings, not facts.

On top of Artest and Club Rio and everything else, to have arguably the franchise's most visible and beloved player <i><b>in its history</b></i> return to play for another team for extreme minimum (since the C's are over the luxury tax threshold) while claiming only to be doing it because he wants to play (not chase a ring, oh, no) will be seen and felt as nothing less than betrayal.

It'd be like Slick moving to Cleveland so he could cheer for LeBron. It'd be like AJ Foyt switching to F1 (ok, some of us would have liked that, but you get where I'm going).

I, for one, would be heartbroken.

bellisimo
08-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I, for one, would be heartbroken.

maybe...just maybe..that is what the Pacers organization is hoping for...if they break hearts enough...then nothing they would do would bother us anymore....

LG33
08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
The "Reggie Miller's Greatest Moments" link on NBA.com is worth watching.

mike_D
08-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Being a big Reggie fan, I'm a bit surprised that hes considering a comeback at the end of the day I don't believe hes going to do it. I wouldn't be upset about him doing it, Reggie will always be a pacer first, he owes this organization and the fans here nothing. He did everything he was asked to do here, he played hard and provided many memories. I just hope he doesn't comeback and embarrass himself and secondly if he comesback and wins a title and is not a big contributer it does nothing for his legacy. He won't be the man, he won't even be in a situation most likely to take that big shot because they have Paul Pierce for that. If he was considering a comback why wouldn't he have done it last year with the Mavericks that would have made more sense then playing with the celtics who don't need him.

This is very similar to what Mitch Richmond did with the lakers, yeah he got his ring but wasn't really a contributor for that team and that did nothing to help Richmonds legacy and this won't help Reggies either unless of course Reggie has enough left to be a super sixth man which I doubt could happen anyway and even if he could I doubt he would fit in that role with Boston.

rexnom
08-10-2007, 02:45 PM
I can't wait for the Rush Hour 3! Get it?! Oh man...I'm never going to be as good as LG...oh well..

Millerartest
08-11-2007, 04:07 AM
This is the most exciting news I have heard in years. I can't understand the loyalty issues that people feel. Feeling betrayed because a lifelong Pacer goes for another shot is a little strange. It isn't like he wouldn't resign or asked to be traded. He gave the Pacers his all for his entire career. This would make me excited again about the East in the NBA. I have lost virtually all interest in the Pacers, and most of the NBA outside of the Warriors and Suns. How could this not be super fun for everbody with an interest in the Pacers?

And I would not underestimate what could happen if by chance he does come back. The man is an insanely dangerous shooter. If the Celtics need a game winning playoff shot with the clock running down, the play may not be designed for him, but he will be on the floor. You think anyone would double off him or Ray Allen?

(Betrayal... This reminds me of a kid who becomes so old that he has to leave his family. The family does not want him back, except for a few radicals. The family is preoccupied by the new kids coming in and the kids who still live among them. Then word gets out that he might join another family and half of the family stand up and scream betrayal! They know he's of no use to their family anymore, but they sure don't want him to be part of a competing family with more to offer. He didn't trade families like most kids. He promised that he would not joing another family again. He said that he was done with families for good. To me this does not sound like betrayal, but a strange form of selfishness...

Arcadian
08-11-2007, 04:26 AM
I wouldn't be bothered if played again. One, it won't be the same Reggie. Two, all those Reggie moments for me were Pacer moments. It wasn't the fact that the same guy with hit all of those shots, it was that the team I was emotionally tied too had all of those moments.

I'll go even further and say I want Reggie to go to the Hall not to show what a great player he was but as validation for the great teams that we had while he was here.

I might watch Reggie in Boston as a fan of basketball. It wouldn't be the same kind of fandom I have for the team in Indy, though.

Speed
08-11-2007, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't be bothered if played again. One, it won't be the same Reggie. Two, all those Reggie moments for me were Pacer moments. It wasn't the fact that the same guy with hit all of those shots, it was that the team I was emotionally tied too had all of those moments.

I'll go even further and say I want Reggie to go to the Hall not to show what a great player he was but as validation for the great teams that we had while he was here.

I might watch Reggie in Boston as a fan of basketball. It wouldn't be the same kind of fandom I have for the team in Indy, though.

This is exactly how I feel too.

BlueNGold
08-11-2007, 08:22 AM
I can't wait for the Rush Hour 3! Get it?! Oh man...I'm never going to be as good as LG...oh well..

Yes, he's better than Letterman for sure.

BTW, I expect it to be rush hour, alright. It will be a real pleasure. Accidents, fatalities, etc.

LG33
08-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Apparently, the Celtics aren't the only ones who want or wanted Reggie. Realgm.com suggests the Suns may be interested and says the Cavs called him last season after the All-Star break. Jesus. It just goes to show how pure shooters are on the decline in this league.

JayRedd
08-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Good and fairly extensive Boston Globe article on Reggie. Rick and Pollard quotes galore.

If your team is up by two and playing defense late in the game, I really don't see how you could stop KG inside if Ray Ray, Reg and Paul are all on the perimeter. It's either let Big Ticket get a good look or end up losing on a trey. I certainly wouldn't want to be an opposing coach that would have to come up with a late-game scheme to stop that.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2007/08/12/they_back_this_comeback/

They back this comeback
Carlisle and Pollard like the Miller idea
By Shira Springer | August 12, 2007

When Doc Rivers called former Pacers coach Rick Carlisle last Monday and asked about Reggie Miller as a person and a player, the response on the other end was quick and unequivocal.

"One of the all-time greats," said Carlisle. "If you can get him, get him."

Within 24 hours, Miller and Carlisle spoke about the prospect of the future Hall of Famer returning for a title run with the Celtics.

"We talked about it and agreed that it was something that deserved careful consideration," said Carlisle.

News of a possible Miller comeback broke last Wednesday. Initially, the idea of the soon-to-be 42-year-old Miller reentering the league lent itself more to punch lines than serious consideration. But with Danny Ainge and Miller acknowledging conversations and Miller testing his body with two workouts per day, it seems less of a long shot now.

Those who know Miller don't expect a decision soon. Undoubtedly, Carlisle was not the only one advising "careful consideration." Ainge plans to have more conversations with Miller, as he tries to convince the shooting guard that this represents a unique opportunity.

In the end, it will come down to how Miller appraises the situation and whether he has the physical ability to compete in the NBA after a two-season hiatus.

While adding Miller to veteran All-Stars Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen offers no guarantee of a championship, those who know Miller have no doubt he could still have an impact.

"Never underestimate greatness at any age," said Carlisle.

No one may be in a better position to make that kind of statement about Miller than the former Pacers coach. When Miller finished his 18-year career in Indiana with 27 points in a Game 6 second-round loss to Detroit in the 2005 playoffs, Carlisle was at the helm.

"From a physical standpoint, I know Reggie can play another year and play at a high level," said Carlisle. "We limited his minutes his last two years in Indiana, but it was always difficult to get him off the floor. I saw absolutely no drop-off in his ability to play at a high level, to be an impact player at a high level."

During the 2003-04 season, Miller averaged 28.2 minutes; the next season, his final one, he averaged 31.9 minutes. If he decides to come back with Boston, he likely would play 15-18 minutes off the bench, though he certainly would be used in late-game situations given his reputation as a clutch scorer.

Plus, Miller and the Celtics recognize that he could be as valuable in the locker room as on the court, with the personality and leadership experience to enhance team chemistry.

But could someone who never averaged fewer than 10.0 points per game, only twice logged fewer than 30 minutes per game, and only once played fewer than 70 games in a full season accept such a lesser role? He wouldn't be seriously considering a comeback otherwise.

Miller was known for a rigorous year-round training regimen during his playing days, and Scot Pollard (a former and perhaps future teammate) figures Miller has been following a similar routine in retirement. Miller may be expected to play 15-18 minutes, but Pollard suspects he is preparing for twice that.

"Knowing Reggie, he wants to make sure he can play 35 minutes a night before he's going to make a decision," said Pollard. "The guy is the first guy in the gym and the last one to leave every day. I guarantee you right now he's doing two-a-days and three-a-days, testing himself and playing against better talent than he's been playing against."

If Miller makes a comeback with the Celtics, Carlisle thinks whatever time he spends on the court will be a benefit to big-name teammates.

"One thing you have to remember is, when Reggie Miller is on the floor, he completely changes the geometry of the game if you have a dominant big man inside," said Carlisle. "It allowed high-level post players like Rik Smits and Jermaine O'Neal a lot more space to operate with a guy like Reggie that has to be guarded whether he has the ball or not.

"With the acquisition of Kevin Garnett, Reggie would be a natural fit in their situation. If I was KG, I'd wine and dine Reggie to try and get him to come."

Not a bad idea, since Garnett and Miller live near each other in Malibu. Ainge and Rivers would gladly make a reservation.

Hicks
08-12-2007, 03:42 PM
If your team is up by two and playing defense late in the game, I really don't see how you could stop KG inside if Ray Ray, Reg and Paul are all on the perimeter. It's either let Big Ticket get a good look or end up losing on a trey. I certainly wouldn't want to be an opposing coach that would have to come up with a late-game scheme to stop that.

That's simple: Double team with whoever's guarding Pollard. ;)

OnlyPacersLeft
08-12-2007, 07:02 PM
doubt this happens....really I do

oneofthesedays
08-13-2007, 03:23 PM
I dunno guys, I wouldn't be surprised if Reggie came out and donned Green next year. With SA on the decline, Phoenix making ZERO moves this offseason, they have a legitimate shot at a title.

Kstat
08-13-2007, 03:29 PM
How is SA on the decline?

avoidingtheclowns
08-13-2007, 03:48 PM
How is SA on the decline?

same way the pistons are: in our dreams

Kegboy
08-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Reggie's usually on Dan Patrick on Monday. Did anyone listen?

CableKC
08-13-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't know...I just have mixed feelings about this. In my heart of hearts....I want Reggie to make a run at a Championship ring....only because he's the reason why I am a Basketball fan in the first place.

The problem is....I don't blame him for leaving in the first place....but there's the side of me that is disappointed that he wouldn't have stayed to play with the Pacers for another season or two instead of retiring in the first place ( imagine how we could have done AFTER the Warrior Trade if Reggie was still playing :banghead: ).

I guess in the end.....my wish for Reggie to make a solid run at a Ring will supercede my wish that he would have done it in a Pacer uniform. At the very reason...if he does this.....it would give me a legitimate reason to root for the Celtics this season ( just so that I can see him play again ) instead of the standard KG-Allen-Pierce Bandwagon reason.

Kegboy
08-13-2007, 04:23 PM
I dunno guys, I wouldn't be surprised if Reggie came out and donned Green next year. With SA on the decline, Phoenix making ZERO moves this offseason, they have a legitimate shot at a title.

Uh, Grant Hill?

Kstat
08-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Here's me thoughts on this:

If Reggie Miller hasn't earned the right to be selfish for once in his career and go get a ring, who has?

I mean, the guy has set a standard for playing his entire career for one team and giving that team everything he has...hasn't he done enough?

sweabs
08-13-2007, 05:20 PM
I would be absolutely crushed if I saw Reggie playing in another team's uniform.

A large part of my attraction to Reggie was the fact that he was so loyal to a small market team (granted, we paid him the cash as well). But in today's day and age, you don't see that anymore.

It always seemed like it was something that Reggie hung on his neck to showcase - something that he was proud of. Would he be willing to throw that out the window? He was there at his final game in Conseco. He was at the retirement ceremony. He knows how us fans feel.

There are many other people like me, who became Indiana Pacer fans because of Reggie Miller. I take comfort in purely associating Reggie with the Pacers. But if he were to play for another team, I feel like it would take something away from that...it's very hard to describe.

Sollozzo
08-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Regarding all the "ruining his legacy" talk.

It's not about a legacy to him or anyone else who does this. It's about experiencing what it feels like to win a championship. He wants to know that feeling. I can't blame him. I don't think that as a 42 year old he will be very effective (how many 42 year olds do you see in the NBA), but more power to him. It's his life.

Roy Munson
08-13-2007, 05:22 PM

The Celtics have almost ZERO chance at the NBA championship next season. Everyone who is trumpeting them as the Eastern Conference champs are forgetting one thing: they still have doc Rivers coaching them.
Also, they won't be a very good defensive team. I don't see them finishing ahead of Chicago, Miami, or Detroit.

Reggie Miller can play for them if he wants, but if he's doing it for the ring, he'd be better off signing on with the Suns, Spurs, or Mavericks.

kidthecat
08-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Babies. You should be Reggie Miller fans before Pacer fans.

No one watched the Pacers before Reggie. No one watched the Pacers after Reggie.

grace
08-13-2007, 05:41 PM
No one watched the Pacers before Reggie.

We old farts did.

Kstat
08-13-2007, 05:43 PM
No one watched the Pacers before Reggie.

I'm sure the ABA guys will loooove you....

Doddage
08-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Eh I compare this whole Reggie comeback talk to Jordan when he returned to the Wizards. It didn't take away from MJ's legacy nor did he lose the respect that he earned when he came back to the league, and for Reggie to return the case would pretty much be the same for me. He stayed true to us all those years, so I think it'd be appropriate for us to return the favor to him in whatever he chooses to do.

Plus, who can say that they don't miss Reggie play?

Hicks
08-13-2007, 06:09 PM
It didn't change how the NBA viewed him, but I'm sure it hurt some of the Bulls fans' feelings. If you don't care about that, that's fine, but it does exist.

ChicagoJ
08-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Because fans in Chicago DIDN'T want to take down his statue? :confused:

Kegboy
08-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Because fans in Chicago DIDN'T want to take down his statue? :confused:

I guess he has me on ignore. :kickcan:

grace
08-13-2007, 07:13 PM
I would rather Reggie not come back. I certainly don't want him to play in the east, mostly because I think he'd stand a better chance of getting a ring if he played in the west.

As for my memories of Michael Jordan's comeback, I remember he sucked. I remember he sucked so bad he actually got called for traveling. :eek: Sure I know he won six rings, but what I remember is him coming back and getting schooled by Al Harrington.

I don't know about you, but I don't want something like that happening to Reggie.

JayRedd
08-13-2007, 10:47 PM
If you didn't enjoy watching MJ's last All Star game I just have no idea how you could enjoy watching basketball of any kind.

Kegboy
08-13-2007, 11:16 PM
If you didn't enjoy watching MJ's last All Star game I just have no idea how you could enjoy watching basketball of any kind.

There's a big difference between playing well in an All-Star game and having your ankles broken by Jamaal Tinsley on national televison.

Also, as Grace exclaimed during that same game, "Oh my god!!! They just called travelling on Michael Jordan!!!" :happydanc

Shade
08-13-2007, 11:30 PM
There's a big difference between playing well in an All-Star game and having your ankles broken by Jamaal Tinsley on national televison.

And having your ribs (literally) broken by Ron Artest.

Sollozzo
08-13-2007, 11:36 PM
The way people talk, you'd think that Jordan was a scrub that averaged 6 points a game when he was a Wizard.

The reality is that he was averaging 22.9 ppg 60 games into the season in 01-02, then got hurt. He came back the next year, played in every game, and averaged 20 pts and 6 bds. He shot.445 from the field, compared to the .437 Reggie shot his last year here.

Michael Jordan was still a very, very good player as a Wizard. Just not the 30PPG MJ we saw in Chicago year in and year out.

LG33
08-14-2007, 12:16 AM
And having your ribs (literally) broken by Ron Artest.

:laugh: That's a sad reality for many canines.

grace
08-14-2007, 01:44 AM
The way people talk, you'd think that Jordan was a scrub that averaged 6 points a game when he was a Wizard.

The reality is that he was averaging 22.9 ppg 60 games into the season in 01-02, then got hurt. He came back the next year, played in every game, and averaged 20 pts and 6 bds. He shot.445 from the field, compared to the .437 Reggie shot his last year here.

Michael Jordan was still a very, very good player as a Wizard. Just not the 30PPG MJ we saw in Chicago year in and year out.

I'd argue with you, but Kegboy is so much better at it than I am.

grace
08-14-2007, 01:46 AM

All Star games suck.

Kegboy
08-14-2007, 08:58 AM

Yeah, he averaged 20 points, playing 35 minutes per on a bad team (sorry MTO). And yes, he shot 44%, but he used to shoot above 50%. You neglected to mention that he shot 41% his first year back, including 19% from 3.

He wasn't a "very, very good player", he was an average player that benefited from the offense running through him on a bad team. He put up numbers an Al Harrington could just have easily put up.

The numbers weren't the story anyway. It was seeing how slow he was. He was a shadow of his former self with no explosivenss whatsoever. Sure, he still had the killer instinct, but his body betrayed him.

Now, it's a testament to how great he was that as broken down as he became he was still a productive player. Same as when Magic came back the second time (albeit as a PF). But both comebacks are looked upon as jokes because they were so far from what they were.

Can Reggie come back and be productive? Sure, especially as a role player. But a lot of people don't want to see the great Reggie Miller reduced to that.

bellisimo
08-14-2007, 09:08 AM
heck the last image I have of Jordan is missing the breakaway dunk!

avoidingtheclowns
08-14-2007, 09:41 AM
sadly the only time i got to see MJ live was a game around thanksgiving vs. the pacers. at that point he wasn't starting but backing up stackhouse and the like and for me in a lot of ways it really hurt my lasting image. now i certainly remember all the monumental games from tv but something about seeing him live like that did leave me fairly unimpressed. maybe it would have been different had i seen him in person in his prime.

ChicagoJ
08-14-2007, 10:22 AM
I still want my last image of Michael Jordan to be leaving MSA, with his head down after Game #6, as the Pacers win the series 4-2 and advance to the 1998 NBA Finals.

Is that so wrong?

bellisimo
08-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I still want my last image of Michael Jordan to be leaving MSA, with his head down after Game #6, as the Pacers win the series 4-2 and advance to the 1998 NBA Finals.

Is that so wrong?

if that is wrong - then I don't want to be right!

naptownmenace
08-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Has there been any more actual news regarding Reggie's decision?

Any quotes from Reggie himself or Barkley or Kenny?

Millerartest
08-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Reggie is a pure shooter. He didn't make it on athleticism like some. Pure shooters who are clutch will always have a place. I do not think he would be reduced to a role player. Is Robert Horry simply a role player? No, he is a clutch veteran who steps up in the playoffs, and played a huge role in winning several championships. I think a new Reggie would fit in more along those lines. (Yeah, I know he doesn't do all the little things Horry does, but he does that one big thing, and does it better.)

Anthem
08-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Robert Horry is a roleplayer.

As much as I love Reggie, they're not going to put him on the floor over Pierce or Allen when the game's on the line. And no matter how much they respect him, they're not going to regularly give Reggie the last shot over Pierce, Allen, and KG except as a once-in-a-long-while ruse.

ChicagoJ
08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Robert Horry is a complete player who is willing to play a lesser role. He's also unintimidated by, and capable of stepping up during, pressure situations.

Just because he's willing to defer doesn't make him an inferior player.

Unlike a number of one-dimensional players who get (mis)labeled as role players because that's all they can do, Horry can do it all when asked, but he's also willing to just do what he's asked to do. I.e., play his role.

And, yes, he does that because he's recognized that's he is not really "great", by NBA standards, at any one thing. There are a number of players in the league with more "skillz" than Horry that don't actually help their teams.

Naptown_Seth
08-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Bird on the radio:

Dan P - "Have you called Reggie?"

Larry - "No. He's 42 years old." (laugh)

He was having fun, but he was serious too, no interest at all.

avoidingtheclowns
08-15-2007, 03:18 PM
to be fair i think horry accepts being a role player because San Antonio lets him take the regular season off (ala shaq)

TMJ31
08-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Reggie, what a great singing voice you have!

Hicks
08-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I have to admit, listening to Reggie on Dan Patrick, I think he's going to do it. Not saying I'm 100% positive on that, but he's serious and it's to win a ring. It WILL change how I view Reggie, it WILL change how I feel about Reggie, but he'd have to do a lot more to make me stop "loving" him, so the Celtics would become my #2 team for 2008 if this happens. League Pass becomes way more with it.

Naptown_Seth
08-15-2007, 03:40 PM
The ring thing, getting it where you NEED at least 3 superstars to carry you there, isn't that just about as good as buying one on Ebay? I don't get the cache of these types of rings, where's the satisfaction?

Reggie even admitted that he had concerns about the REST of the Celtics roster, meaning that he even thinks that "his ring" rests on not just the effort of the big 3, but even the rest of the role players. So just WTF is he contributing to the effort and how does that alter what he was, which specfically was a HOF caliber superstar that CARRIED teams himself.

His ring wouldn't match his resume. It's like being the star of a YMCA league after being an NBA star. Sure you get the Y title and a T-shirt for MVP of the league, but it's still nothing compared to what you were.

WILL PERDUE was a ring winning role player. That's what Reggie would be, that's the kind of ring he'll have. A freaking Will Purdue, Luc Longley ring. wow, impressive
:unimpress