PDA

View Full Version : JO and Bird to be on WNDE during the 4pm hour

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Per PacerGuy of RealGM.

Bird to be on with JMV around 4:05 and JO to be on at 4:30.

Should be interesting. Apparently the tape that has been posted on here will be played on the radio during the JO interview.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=701449

Shade
08-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Kegboy
08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
http://www.wnde.com/cc-common/streaming_new/index.html

Naptown_Seth
08-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Bird ready to go with JMV over to the Ballyhoo in Terre Haute/ISU tonight. :D Good stuff Larry. Very enjoyable interview. I hate to admit it but Adult Boomer won me over a bit today.

Shade
08-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Sounds like JO will be on to debunk the ESPN article.

So, who's going to call in and ask JO a question?

Roaming Gnome
08-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Bird ready to go with JMV over to the Ballyhoo in Terre Haute/ISU tonight. :D Good stuff Larry. Very enjoyable interview. I hate to admit it but Adult Boomer won me over a bit today.

Yes, QFT... I will take back the "B4A's" comment that I mentioned.

Naptown_Seth
08-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Sounds like JO will be on to debunk the ESPN article.

So, who's going to call in and ask JO a question?
I vote Alipour. Let's get ready to RUMMMMBBBBLLLEEE. ;)

Gnome, I really liked that he wouldn't throw Rick under the bus. Same as Rick was toward his players in the press most of the time.

Shade
08-07-2007, 04:25 PM
It's nice listening to someone who is actually up on current events.

Hicks
08-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Yes, QFT... I will take back the "B4A's" comment that I mentioned.

What did he say?

MagicRat
08-07-2007, 04:27 PM

Yeah, Larry seemed sharp today......

pwee31
08-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Ball St.? I mean c'mon.. are you serious?

Kegboy
08-07-2007, 04:34 PM
What did he say?

Everything that's in the article, except he didn't take the bait to badmouth Rick over last year.

aero
08-07-2007, 04:35 PM
JO is on right now

Hicks
08-07-2007, 04:36 PM
How did he win you over, Seth/Gnome?

Kegboy
08-07-2007, 04:38 PM
JO says he didn't even talk to the ESPN guy.

Shade
08-07-2007, 04:38 PM
JO just basically called Alipour a liar. He said that he didn't even do an interview with ESPN, that Alipour was just standing around while he was talking to the SI.com interviewer.

Kegboy
08-07-2007, 04:39 PM
I so want to pull a Bill Clinton and say, "It depends on what your definition of 'if' is."

Shade
Well, someone is obviously lying here. It now falls on Alipour to prove the proof to back up his quotes.

avoidingtheclowns
hicks~ did anything come of your audio request?

Shade
I so want to pull a Bill Clinton and say, "It depends on what your definition of 'if' is."

:laugh:

Unclebuck
08-07-2007, 04:40 PM
He talked to Donnie Walsh today and he loves him to death.

JO hasn't talked to Bird. Seems obvious to me that JO doesn't like Bird.

Shade
08-07-2007, 04:41 PM
"I'm not even worried about the ESPN article."

Um...you probably should be, JO. That's a lot more damaging than the SI article.

Shade
He talked to Donnie Walsh today and he loves him to death.

JO hasn't talked to Bird. Seems obvious to me that JO doesn't like Bird.

I don't think any of that is a big secret, though. I don't think LB is a big fan of JO, either.

Hicks
hicks~ did anything come of your audio request?

No. I haven't heard from him since I last posted about it a few hours ago.

Kegboy
08-07-2007, 04:42 PM
"I'm not even worried about the ESPN article."

Um...you probably should be, JO. That's a lot more damaging than the SI article.

I think his point was he felt even the SI article was bad enough, because they didn't use the I word.

Btw, if you read this Jermaine, I changed my mood just for you.

avoidingtheclowns
thanks....

i'm wondering if he said something to SI off the record and ESPN/Sam overheard it and ran with it.

BoomBaby33
LB is getting ready to be on ESPN 950 - right now

Shade
He just kind of blew off the Kravitz article.

"That's just Bob." :laugh:

MagicRat
08-07-2007, 04:43 PM
JO says :chillpill

Unclebuck
08-07-2007, 04:44 PM
thanks....

i'm wondering if he said something to SI off the record and ESPN/Sam overheard it and ran with it.

JO said he never spoke with the ESPN guy.

rexnom
08-07-2007, 04:44 PM
JO=still the consummate pro

Major Cold
08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
I think that JO will be here for the start of next season. Why is that? Is it because we are not rebuilding? Or is it because we have not gotten the deal we want?

blanket
08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that JO confirmed that he said if he's traded he doesn't want his new team to be gutted. This suggests that teh ESPN guy either misheard, misinterpreted, or simply made up the inflamatory tone of the comments.

Roaming Gnome
08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
I WANT J.O. TO BE HERE. PERIOD!!!

EXCEPTIONAL INTERVIEW....I'M SOLD!!!

Major Cold
08-07-2007, 04:48 PM
JOB has JO sold

avoidingtheclowns
JO said he never spoke with the ESPN guy.

dude. got that. i was more referring to...

JO just basically called Alipour a liar. He said that he didn't even do an interview with ESPN, that Alipour was just standing around while he was talking to the SI.com interviewer.

my point was i wondered if ESPN/Sam overheard something off-the-record elsewhere (that JO said to SI) and ran with it as an exclusive.

aero
JO will be traded by the trading deadline...bank on that.

Major Cold
08-07-2007, 04:49 PM
JO is opting out if the wheels fall off. What does that mean?

Unclebuck
JO is sold on OB

(why do I listen to this stuff, I'm starting to waver on trading the guy) Mainly because he had knee surgery and feels a lot better.

I want to believe - I'm torn

Shade
Did JO just confirm that the locker room was better before or after the GS trade? I only caught the tail end of the remark.

blanket
One more thing:

In contrast to the article that claimed JO said the Pacers are rebuilding, he said in this interview that he doesn't think they're rebuilding. That's significant.

MagicRat
08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Did JO just confirm that the locker room was better before or after the GS trade? I only caught the tail end of the remark.

Much better after the trade.....

Kegboy
08-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Great question!

Major Cold
He has held up great under the negativity. He just said that they do not talk alot and that their relationship could get better.

Shade
JO thinks his and Larry's relationship could be better, mostly saying they don't talk enough.

blanket
"If I opt out it's because the wheels fell off the machine"

RE: his relationship with Bird: "Do we talk a lot? No, we don't talk a lot." ...
"It could be better."

Unclebuck
JMV is so much better than that guy on ESPN 950.

Very good interview

Shade
Much better after the trade.....

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

Naptown_Seth
08-07-2007, 04:52 PM
How did he win you over, Seth/Gnome?
Seemed very sincere, took the high road with Rick, took the high road with JO I think, and didn't come across as blowing smoke up my rear.

Note that JO DID ADMIT that he said something LIKE "I'd want fair pieces going both ways in a deal, I don't want to destroy the team I'm coming to by losing so much and I want Indy to get fair pieces that help them rebuild too"

It's not the same as Alipour presented it, but it's in the ballpark in terms of subject matter. He has mentioned something like that and probably like the SI article it's been wedged into a totally different tone.

JO's not worried about that article because he doesn't consider it a legit representation of his comments.

JO was nice and candid too, he was open to admit that he and Larry don't get along great but did it in a tactful way. Better than cliche spin work IMO.

I like JO more than ever now.

Major Cold
JO wants your support fans. Are you gonna give it?

pwee31
Well JO just sold me. Whether he was BSing or not... he has my support.

Roaming Gnome
JMV is a damn good interviewer... He just asked J.O. if he actually got along with Bird. J.O. mentioned their relationship could get better!

I'm sold on J.O. Sorry Peck and Bball.

LoneGranger33
08-07-2007, 04:54 PM
JO thinks his and Larry's relationship could be better, mostly saying they don't talk enough.

Bird retorted that JO doesn't ever "want to cuddle", to which JO replied "you never asked", which Bird matched with a "I shouldn't have to", prompting a "well, I guess you do" from JO, a line which sent Bird to the lockeroom in tears...

Kegboy
That was a very productive hour by PS&E. Easily the best PR they've had all summer.

Major Cold
ESPN's NBA page still says that JO wants a trade. Do they react to these interviews or continue to ignore them. My guess is that the reporter is out of a job.

avoidingtheclowns
i hope someone can post the interview later, i'd like to hear it

Naptown_Seth
08-07-2007, 04:55 PM
JO is sold on OB

(why do I listen to this stuff, I'm starting to waver on trading the guy) Mainly because he had knee surgery and feels a lot better.

I want to believe - I'm torn
Wait, I'm the sunshiner when it comes to the JO topic???? You and Hicks are totally flipping this up on me.

You know when JO says "I'm feeling better than I have the last 2 years, I wish I'd had this surgery sooner," it makes me want to watch him in a Pacers uniform a lot more.

Reggie had years where his teams didn't get far but you still wanted to see him try rather than watch him do it for another team.

That was a very productive hour by PS&E. Easily the best PR they've had all summer.
Agree.

This might have a surprise effect in circling the wagons a bit and building some energy toward the season.

Kegboy
08-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Seriously, for those who didn't hear, JMV did trip him up asking him about his relationship with Bird. He hemmed a bit before admitting it could be better. He said they've talked more over the summer, but it could be better. Obviously, if he's talked to Donnie today but not Larry.

Shade
08-07-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't want to feel like I'm letting TPTB brainwash me or anything, but both Larry's and JO's interviews were fantastic today, and they both won me over (for now, anyway).

I'm also no longer anti-GS trade, since JO confirmed how much better the locker room was after the trade.

Is there still room on the Sunshine Brigade? :sunshine:

Shade
08-07-2007, 05:00 PM

Don't look now, but LB and JO are standing outside your front door, waiting for you to re-up for season tickets. :signit:

LoneGranger33
08-07-2007, 05:01 PM

Sam Alipour is reporting that, yes, there is still room and that you would be happy to be a part of the Sunshine Brigade and its rich history.

I'm in for sure. I mean, how can't I be after both Rush and Diener, my boys?

Hicks
08-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Look, it's great to hear it was a good interview, but let's not forget that 99% of the time JO is a master at SAYING the right thing. SAYING what people want to hear.

I'll freely admit that the majority of the time O'Neal seems like a great guy for the off-court things he does along with what he says.

But the few times I DON'T like what I hear, they're stuff that really gets to me. Such as "I'll allow them to trade me there." Another is a certain story that a dozen or so of you know what I'm talking about.

So while I guess what I'm saying is he's ultimately a good guy, those little negative moments just make huge negative impacts with me.

I do need to re-think through it all. I think I don't really believe he's in the Artest camp in terms of a pretender. But I sure as hell don't hold him in the esteem I held Reggie Miller either. No, he's somewhere in the middle with me.

If he comes out, doesn't complain about the coach or his plans, plays the way the coach wants him to play, produces, and doesn't drop the primadonna quotes the drive me up the wall, I will support him as long as he's here.

Major Cold
08-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Like I said earlier. We will make the playoffs. Murphy was hurt, JO was hurt, off court issues, Dunleavy began to play better, Granger's third year coming up, young players adding to last year.

WE are going to make the playoffs

Hicks
08-07-2007, 05:05 PM
And you know, I think a BIG reason I jumped on him so quickly yesterday is I am sick, SICK, SICK of BULL**** NONSENSE surrounding the team I want to root for. Be it trade requests, brawls, shootings, assaults, prima-donnas, controversies, etc, etc, etc. It's all gotten to me. I have an extremely low tolerance for it right now, and that really fuels me to just snap off when I see anything resembling controversy involving the Indiana Pacers. It's so far removed from what made me a fan I want to throw up.

Naptown_Seth
08-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I'm tired of his coasting on 19/9/3/2 blocks. Start backing up the lip service. So what you take charges, you call that hustling? When college players take a charge, that's hustle, not when you do it.

But we know the BS that surrounds the team has more to do with journalistic caricatures and drama than it does with real reporting of what is happening with the team.

Cripes Jackson did one thing at Rio and that was turned into about 6 major stories. Jack was there, Jack was on probabation still, Jack goes to court, Jack might go to jail in Detroit, Jack might go to jail in Indy, Jack cops a plea....

To quote Chevy Chase, this just in, Generalissmo Francisco Franco is STILL dead.

blanket
08-07-2007, 05:06 PM
I wanted him to be traded before the SI/ESPN articles and still do even after his WNDE interview.

Has nothing to do with him as a person. I just think it's best for the future of the team (as long as they make the RIGHT trade).

Shade
08-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Look, it's great to hear it was a good interview, but let's not forget that 99% of the time JO is a master at SAYING the right thing. SAYING what people want to hear.

I'll freely admit that the majority of the time O'Neal seems like a great guy for the off-court things he does along with what he says.

But the few times I DON'T like what I hear, they're stuff that really gets to me. Such as "I'll allow them to trade me there." Another is a certain story that a dozen or so of you know what I'm talking about.

So while I guess what I'm saying is he's ultimately a good guy, those little negative moments just make huge negative impacts with me.

I do need to re-think through it all. I think I don't really believe he's in the Artest camp in terms of a pretender. But I sure as hell don't hold him in the esteem I held Reggie Miller either. No, he's somewhere in the middle with me.

If he comes out, doesn't complain about the coach or his plans, plays the way the coach wants him to play, produces, and doesn't drop the primadonna quotes the drive me up the wall, I will support him as long as he's here.

And that's all very fair.

But also remember that Reggie was no saint, either. Probably not as big an egomaniac as JO (he is), but then again, I don't think TPTB were shoving "you're the leader and franchise player now" down Reg's throat from Day 1 like they have JO.

LoneGranger33
08-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I'm tired of his coasting on 19/9/3/2 blocks. Start backing up the lip service. So what you take charges, you call that hustling? When college players take a charge, that's hustle, not when you do it.

Wait, why is that not hustling? Jason Collins does it all the time...is it not hustling? Yao Ming has been known to do it on occasion...is it not hustling then?

You, sir, do not know the meaning of hustle...so I have provided it for you, completely from memory.

hus·tle<SCRIPT>play_w("H0335300")</SCRIPT>
1. To jostle or shove roughly.
2. To convey in a hurried or rough manner
3. To cause or urge to proceed quickly
4. To gain by energetic effort
5. Slang a. To sell or get by questionable or aggressive means
b. To pressure into buying or doing something
c. To misrepresent one's skill in (a game or activity) in order to deceive someone, especially in gambling

I suggest you take some time off to "find yourself", because you are lost when it comes to definitions. Take it from me, I got a 350 on my SAT verbal.

Edit: This will be my last frivilous post in this thread.

Shade
08-07-2007, 05:11 PM

But we know the BS that surrounds the team has more to do with journalistic caricatures and drama than it does with real reporting of what is happening with the team.

Cripes Jackson did one thing at Rio and that was turned into about 6 major stories. Jack was there, Jack was on probabation still, Jack goes to court, Jack might go to jail in Detroit, Jack might go to jail in Indy, Jack cops a plea....

To quote Chevy Chase, this just in, Generalissmo Francisco Franco is STILL dead.

I only have two real problems with JO's game:

1) His tendency to settle for jumpers when he should take it inside, and
2) His inability/unwillingness to block out.

Shade
08-07-2007, 05:13 PM
And you know, I think a BIG reason I jumped on him so quickly yesterday is I am sick, SICK, SICK of BULL**** NONSENSE surrounding the team I want to root for. Be it trade requests, brawls, shootings, assaults, prima-donnas, controversies, etc, etc, etc. It's all gotten to me. I have an extremely low tolerance for it right now, and that really fuels me to just snap off when I see anything resembling controversy involving the Indiana Pacers. It's so far removed from what made me a fan I want to throw up.

So, you're saying that Foster has to go? :devil:

Shade
08-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Seriously, for those who didn't hear, JMV did trip him up asking him about his relationship with Bird. He hemmed a bit before admitting it could be better. He said they've talked more over the summer, but it could be better. Obviously, if he's talked to Donnie today but not Larry.

But he didn't lie, and didn't fall into the trap to rip him either. I respect that kind of tactical response.

Hicks
08-07-2007, 05:16 PM
And that's all very fair.

But also remember that Reggie was no saint, either. Probably not as big an egomaniac as JO (he is), but then again, I don't think TPTB were shoving "you're the leader and franchise player now" down Reg's throat from Day 1 like they have JO.

But I didn't know the dirt on Reggie when I got on board. All I saw was the underdog of the stars showing the top dogs that he, and his team, belonged. He was surrounded by people I knew only as good guys with great character, great teamwork, great class, and enough skills to make it all work when you put it together. That's all I knew, and I loved it.

Now I feel like character and positive on-court qualities are nice, but what they can't do, how much money they're worth, how their egos are feeling, what trade demands are they going to make (or not), and their "street cred" is all in the limelight instead of the things I mentioned at the start.

So if the truth is I just cruised in on a wave of ignorance, then all I believed in was a lie. Great. I made a vow to be a sunshiner from here on, but it gets tough when I have to be constantly reminded that the people I've EVER come closest to idolizing have dirt to be used to pick them apart.

*edit* One thing I believe with all my heart is that one of the things that separates Reggie and JO is how much they weighed what was best for them against what was best for everyone else. This is pure character impression, but one had it more than the other. One had enough, the other I think doesn't have quite enough (but he's close).

Shade
08-07-2007, 05:20 PM
But I didn't know the dirt on Reggie when I got on board. All I saw was the underdog of the stars showing the top dogs that he, and his team, belonged. He was surrounded by people I knew only as good guys with great character, great teamwork, great class, and enough skills to make it all work when you put it together. That's all I knew, and I loved it.

Now I feel like character and positive on-court qualities are nice, but what they can't do, how much money they're worth, how their egos are feeling, what trade demands are they going to make (or not), and their "street cred" is all in the limelight instead of the things I mentioned at the start.

So if the truth is I just cruised in on a wave of ignorance, then all I believed in was a lie. Great. I made a vow to be a sunshiner from here on, but it gets tough when I have to be constantly reminded that the people I've EVER come closest to idolizing have dirt to be used to pick them apart.

Everyone has dirt. Nobody is perfect. That's all you need to remember.

Hicks
08-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Everyone has dirt. Nobody is perfect. That's all you need to remember.

Do you believe Reggie and JO have equal "dirt"?

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 05:23 PM
I caught Bird's interview and he impressed me as well. I didn't catch JO, but I caught JMV's follow up and some quotes from JO during the interview. Generally I agree with JMV that these were not ground breaking quotes. Essentially the same thing JO has been saying for years. As far as JO and Bird not liking each other I could care less. They are both wanting to win and if we do they'll work through their problems. Bird like I said tho did a very good job in his interview. He seemed relaxed and generally excited about JIm O'Brien.

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 05:24 PM

FWIW I don't think either of them have that much "dirt".

Hicks
08-07-2007, 05:24 PM

What would personally make you not like a member of the Indiana Pacers? I mean that in several ways: Basketball plays, on the court behavior/attitude, and off the court behavior/attitude?

Oneal07
08-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Did anyone stream and save this? There is hate on Canadians lol

Hicks
08-07-2007, 05:25 PM
FWIW I don't think either of them have that much "dirt".

Do you hold them in equal high esteem?

Naptown_Seth
08-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Depends on what happened in that bar with Barkley and in the back room at Gold Club.

Shade
08-07-2007, 05:28 PM

I think they're both relatively clean, which is why I don't understand all of the JO-hate around here. And that's even knowing what I know (I blame Rick's problem with authority for a lot of that stuff).

I really want to see what JOB can get out of this squad. I just don't think they're currently a playoff team, though I wouldn't be shocked to see them sneak into one of the last couple of spots.

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Do you hold them in equal high esteem?

As talented basketball players? Yes, I think they were both very talented.

As what they mean to the Indiana Pacers? No. Reggie IS the Pacers. Always will be. Without him the Pacers might not be here. JO is my favorite Pacer now. Reggie is my favorite Pacer ever and always will be.

New JO sig FTW.

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 05:29 PM
I think they're both relatively clean, which is why I don't understand all of the JO-hate around here. And that's even knowing what I know.

Aren't you the same guy that was comparing JO to Artest at this time yesterday???;):-p

Kegboy
08-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Don't look now, but LB and JO are standing outside your front door, waiting for you to re-up for season tickets. :signit:

****, I better put some clothes on then. :blush:

Shade
08-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Aren't you the same guy that was comparing JO to Artest at this time yesterday???;):-p

And if he had made those demands, then yes, he would be on par with Artest in that regard. Not as a nutcase, though.

Roaming Gnome
08-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Mal, I know that the comment about "allowing a trade" bothers you, but that is the reallity of a player with an "opt out clause" in their contract. If "said player" gets traded to "crap team"...he has some leverage. It is unreallistic to not expect a player with an opt out clause not to use it if it will help him. Usually when a player starts to say that he will "opt out" of a team that is trying to trade for him, that's usually is enough to scare away any team.

See Garnett before the Boston convinced ($$$$$$$) Garnett that Boston was where he wanted to be.

Kegboy
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Hicks, if/when WNDE puts up the interviews, I would highly recommend listening to them. That goes for everyone else too. If they can impress the likes of me and Seth, who knows, Peck and Bball's shrivelled little hearts may grow two sizes bigger.

However, just to be clear, my views on Russian Diner weren't changed.

Naptown_Seth
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
What would personally make you not like a member of the Indiana Pacers? I mean that in several ways: Basketball plays, on the court behavior/attitude, and off the court behavior/attitude?
Well obviously I wasn't much of a fan of Troy's game last year. Tinsley wavers with me and last year I had very little interest in the effort he put out many nights. So soft play, disinterested play. With Troy I certainly don't think he didn't care and the article he took out has kept me willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on court.

Ron crapping on the fan support with a trade demand, I dropped him right then.

Rose putting up a no-heart effort to tie the playoff game vs Philly in 2001, lost me right then. I knew he didn't care, not the way he should.

Saras bugged me because he whined and was so cocky about his PT when clearly he was losing PT for a reason.

Peja sitting those playoff games after guys like JO and Jackson had gutted out playing with injuries, that was instant GTF OUT.

Al was starting to push it with his own PT/role whining. I had no problem with him the first time around.

Harrison - year 2 vs Denver when I saw him flip out to the point of no control on his anger at all...ready for him to leave.

Drieling - never a fan, though I didn't dislike him as much as just didn't want to see him on the court.

I can't think of any others I felt any animosity toward. There's a reason I'm a Pacers fan and it's not just because it's what's here.

Jack would have lost me except that he always came right back humbled after losing his cool. So that said "firey, but not actually hostile". If Jack had been busted DEALING drugs (like some Blazers), shooting at someone, starting something instead of it coming to find him, etc then I might have been frustrated there.

JO did NOT whine about PT or his role, he complained about the style. He didn't get more shots or more touches after complaining, he got more work in the post which drew more fouls and was more productive offense for this team...so he was right to complain.

LoneGranger33
08-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I thought my posts in this thread were like Corey Feldman's mouth in The Goonies - full of gems - but apparently you people prefer to talk serious talk while the fate of the franchise hangs in the balance. Typical.

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Hicks, if/when WNDE puts up the interviews, I would highly recommend listening to them. That goes for everyone else too. If they can impress the likes of me and Seth, who knows, Peck and Bball's shrivelled little hearts may grow two sizes bigger.

However, just to be clear, my views on Russian Diner weren't changed.

JMV even seems to be defending JO. Said the JO interview should be up on the interweb by 6ish.

Time to rally around our Pacers, boys. Line up for the Kool-Aid. Its cherry flavored this season.

JayRedd
08-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Depends on what happened in that bar with Barkley and in the back room at Gold Club.

Don't forget the strip club with Kramer and Spike.

Roaming Gnome
08-07-2007, 05:44 PM
JMV even seems to be defending JO. Said the JO interview should be up on the interweb by 6ish.

Time to rally around our Pacers, boys. Line up for the Kool-Aid. Its cherry flavored this season.

:ohyeah:
Fill'er Up!!!

Shade
08-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Well, Kool-Aid beats the hell out of milk. Especially when you're lactose-intolerant.

Shade
08-07-2007, 05:48 PM
I thought my posts in this thread were like Corey Feldman's mouth in The Goonies - full of gems - but apparently you people prefer to talk serious talk while the fate of the franchise hangs in the balance. Typical.

Your sig rocks, though. :D

Roaming Gnome
08-07-2007, 05:49 PM
J.O.'s interview to be replayed in its entirity at 6pm...
1260am/ wnde.com

Shade
08-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Well obviously I wasn't much of a fan of Troy's game last year. Tinsley wavers with me and last year I had very little interest in the effort he put out many nights. So soft play, disinterested play. With Troy I certainly don't think he didn't care and the article he took out has kept me willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on court.

Ron crapping on the fan support with a trade demand, I dropped him right then.

Rose putting up a no-heart effort to tie the playoff game vs Philly in 2001, lost me right then. I knew he didn't care, not the way he should.

Saras bugged me because he whined and was so cocky about his PT when clearly he was losing PT for a reason.

Peja sitting those playoff games after guys like JO and Jackson had gutted out playing with injuries, that was instant GTF OUT.

Al was starting to push it with his own PT/role whining. I had no problem with him the first time around.

Harrison - year 2 vs Denver when I saw him flip out to the point of no control on his anger at all...ready for him to leave.

Drieling - never a fan, though I didn't dislike him as much as just didn't want to see him on the court.

I can't think of any others I felt any animosity toward. There's a reason I'm a Pacers fan and it's not just because it's what's here.

Jack would have lost me except that he always came right back humbled after losing his cool. So that said "firey, but not actually hostile". If Jack had been busted DEALING drugs (like some Blazers), shooting at someone, starting something instead of it coming to find him, etc then I might have been frustrated there.

JO did NOT whine about PT or his role, he complained about the style. He didn't get more shots or more touches after complaining, he got more work in the post which drew more fouls and was more productive offense for this team...so he was right to complain.

See, Jack lost me for good when he let Adam Morrison light him up for three quarters, before finally pulling his head out of his *** and locking him down in the 4th. I was truly, honestly trying to support him last season up until that fiasco.

avoidingtheclowns
08-07-2007, 05:54 PM
See, Jack lost me for good when he let Adam Morrison light him up for three quarters, before finally pulling his head out of his *** and locking him down in the 4th. I was truly, honestly trying to support him last season up until that fiasco.

you lasted an entire 5 minutes supporting jack?

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
J.O.'s interview to be replayed in its entirity at 6pm...
1260am/ wnde.com

JMV must have already gotten himself a nice glass of cherry deliciousness! He is loving this interview.

Hicks
08-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Where on that website do interviews normally get posted? I am on the main page and I don't see an obvious spot to check when I refresh every few minutes.

Naptown_Seth
08-07-2007, 06:05 PM
That was a poor effort. He almost lost me for good when he threw up that bomb with about 9 seconds left in the half. But I also saw him land square on his injured back, whince badly, and then continue to play anyway. His passion is like a force of nature, you might get the sun and rain you need or you might get a tornado. Cross your fingers and hang on.

So I guess the theme for me is "passion" and "smarts", and in his case his passion was just enough to make up for his smarts issues, but I clearly don't deny the "rocky" nature of that relationship. There were plenty of nights where I was saying "Dude, WTF?"

That still beats the hell out of saying "don't inbounds to Saras, he'll turn it over." At least with Jack I had reason to hope.

Granville
08-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Don't forget the strip club with Kramer and Spike.

That literally made me laugh out loud.

Hoosier Daddy?
08-07-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid.

We sucked last year. Our roster still sucks this year, especially the backcourt which is bar none the worst in the league. There's no realistic reason to believe we wont be atrocious next year. Talk is cheap.

Shade
08-07-2007, 06:07 PM
you lasted an entire 5 minutes supporting jack?

And it was the toughest 5 minutes of my life. :D

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 06:08 PM
That was a poor effort. He almost lost me for good when he threw up that bomb with about 9 seconds left in the half. But I also saw him land square on his injured back, whince badly, and then continue to play anyway. His passion is like a force of nature, you might get the sun and rain you need or you might get a tornado. Cross your fingers and hang on.

So I guess the theme for me is "passion" and "smarts", and in his case his passion was just enough to make up for his smarts issues, but I clearly don't deny the "rocky" nature of that relationship. There were plenty of nights where I was saying "Dude, WTF?"

That still beats the hell out of saying "don't inbounds to Saras, he'll turn it over." At least with Jack I had reason to hope.

Don't you mean "Don't let Sarunas inbound he'll throw it off the backboard."?

Shade
08-07-2007, 06:09 PM

It's almost a "fill in the blank." Kinda like Mad Libs, but not fictional.

Hicks
08-07-2007, 06:16 PM

You mean like when Bill Russell did it? In an elimination NBA Finals game? Why do you think Havlicek HAD to steal the ball?

LoneGranger33
08-07-2007, 06:20 PM
You mean like when Bill Russell did it? In an elimination NBA Finals game? Why do you think Havlicek HAD to steal the ball?

To be fair, he hit a wire, and he's not a point guard. But it seems a silly thing to do in a Finals Game, doesn't it.

DisplacedKnick
08-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Nice that JO redeemed himself but that doesn't change the fact that you have a very flawed team that finished atrociously last season. I guess you can go into the season with the roster you have now but IMO whether JO's an *** or not doesn't change the fact that you need to do something pretty drastic and he's far and away your most marketable player.

Hicks
08-07-2007, 06:29 PM
To be fair, he hit a wire, and he's not a point guard. But it seems a silly thing to do in a Finals Game, doesn't it.

And my point is it happens to literally the best.

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 06:31 PM

Yeah well my point still stands. Sarunas stinks.

pwee31
08-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Ha, and there goes Ric Bucher, I'm really starting to detest that guy

PaceBalls
08-07-2007, 06:36 PM
if you were looking for the audio of the SI interview, It's posted on the JMV page here.

http://www.wnde.com/pages/jmv.html

and here is a direct link.

http://www.basketballnewsservices.com/storage/JermaineONeal_Audio.wma

sorry if it was already posted.

CableKC
08-07-2007, 06:53 PM
if you were looking for the audio of the SI interview, It's posted on the JMV page here.

Wow.....it sounds different then what I thought he would say. I have to reread both CNNSI and ESPN articles now to see which matches up.

He doesn't request a trade....but he says that IF the Pacers are rebuilding...then he would like to go to LA or NJ....which is different then actually requesting one.

But since it looks like we are retooling rather then rebuilding......then I guess JONeal is a Pacer until the Lakers give up both Odom+Bynum :shrug:

blanket
08-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Yeah, nothing on there about LB being a "hard man to deal with" or making "unfair trades". Also nothing about his opt out next summer, although I think it's been confirmed that he said it, so there must be more to the interview than what was taped here.

And as for what WAS said, I just have to point this out:

---------------

JO says: "If we're in the rebuilding stage it may be time for me to move on."

Sam Alipour hears: "It's time for me to move on," he said. "And the Lakers are the team I want Indiana to trade me to."

:crazy:

CableKC
08-07-2007, 06:56 PM
JO says: "If we're in the rebuilding stage it may be time for me to move on."

Sam Alipour hears: "It's time for me to move on," he said. "And the Lakers are the team I want Indiana to trade me to."

:crazy:
Yeah...unless there is more.....then it sounds like he basically took parts of the interview ( which really sounds like there is a whole gaggle of reporters there ) and rearranged the soundbytes to mean something else.

I really wonder if there is more to this interview then there is.

indysportsblog
08-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey does anyone have the WNDE or ESPN950 audio from the J.O. Larry Legend interviews today?

Hicks
08-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Hey does anyone have the WNDE or ESPN950 audio from the J.O. Larry Legend interviews today?

Others said that it was supposed to be up after 6PM on the WNDE website, but I didn't see anything 20 minutes ago.

blanket
08-07-2007, 07:07 PM

Take this as an example of the shoddy reporting from both SI and ESPN here: listen to the first 15 sec. of that recording and compare what you hear with what SI heard and what ESPN heard:

SI: "...but they're into rebuilding and going really young, and I'm just not in a position physically to go through another five to six years with a lot of losses and a lot of down time."

ESPN: "...but obviously [the Pacers are] in a situation now where they're rebuilding. I told them I can't be in a rebuilding mode right now. I'm at a point in my career where I can't wait another five years to contend. I'm not in a position physically to take in five years of losses and downtime."

Reality: "...but IF they're into rebuilding and going really young, THEN I'm just not in a position physically to go through another five to six years with a lot of losses and a lot of down time."

oneofthesedays
08-07-2007, 07:11 PM
What's the big deal in just making the playoffs? Your team as constituted just isn't good enough to contend for a title. You want to waste JO's prime years just to watch the Pacers make 1st round exits?

This kind of mentality I just don't understand. As a fan I want my team to win it all. If we aren't in a position to win I want to do everything I can to get us there. If it means sucking it up for a year or two then fine. But it seems as if your FO and even a lot of you fans just want to be a team that's mediocre in the EC.

CableKC
08-07-2007, 07:23 PM
What's the big deal in just making the playoffs? Your team as constituted just isn't good enough to contend for a title. You want to waste JO's prime years just to watch the Pacers make 1st round exits?

This kind of mentality I just don't understand. As a fan I want my team to win it all. If we aren't in a position to win I want to do everything I can to get us there. If it means sucking it up for a year or two then fine. But it seems as if your FO and even a lot of you fans just want to be a team that's mediocre in the EC.
Just like the Lakers FO wants to gamble that Bynum will be the 15/10 guy that they thiink he will be before Kobe Opts out in 2 years.....I guess the Pacers FO wants to gamble on seeing what a JO'B and JONeal led team can in the Playoffs.

I don't know how many times that we have to say this ( not that I completely agree with them ) but I can see what they want to do. The Pacers FO would much rather "try" with JONeal or Odom/Bynum to make a run for the Playoffs ( even if it simply means that we bow out in the 1st round )...then simply "give up" and and rebuild with Kwame/Bynum.

ChicagoJ
08-07-2007, 07:28 PM
The East is weak.

With JO, we are perhaps a mid-season trade from being a contender again, if we can thin out our forwards for a legit SG.

Shade
08-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Take this as an example of the shoddy reporting from both SI and ESPN here: listen to the first 15 sec. of that recording and compare what you hear with what SI heard and what ESPN heard:

SI: "...but they're into rebuilding and going really young, and I'm just not in a position physically to go through another five to six years with a lot of losses and a lot of down time."

ESPN: "...but obviously [the Pacers are] in a situation now where they're rebuilding. I told them I can't be in a rebuilding mode right now. I'm at a point in my career where I can't wait another five years to contend. I'm not in a position physically to take in five years of losses and downtime."

Reality: "...but IF they're into rebuilding and going really young, THEN I'm just not in a position physically to go through another five to six years with a lot of losses and a lot of down time."

The SI interviewer should at least be reprimanded.

Alipour should be flat-out fired, and a retraction and apology issued.

Oh, and Kravitz needs to come out and apologize, too. He was proven wrong on this.

Rajah Brown
08-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Pretty good interviews by JMV. He's definitely improved on something
that hasn't been a strong suit (his initial Sampson interview last year
was cringe inducing...).

But that said, I'm not interested in J.O.'s rhetorical skills. I'm w/
Hoosier Daddy. Move the guy to LA now. Either take the Bynum+
Brown, etc. deal or sweeten our end up enough to pull Bynum
and Odom.

oneofthesedays
08-07-2007, 07:38 PM
The East is weak.

With JO, we are perhaps a mid-season trade from being a contender again, if we can thin out our forwards for a legit SG.

The East is getting stronger. Boston just became a legit contender overnight. NJ, Detroit, and Cleveland all have a leg up on the Pacers. This is not even mentioning the WC. You think your team can take down the likes of the Suns or Spurs in the Finals? If so, pass me the pipe bro.....

And who are you going to get in a mid-season trade? JO is your only valuable asset. If your going to argue at least be realistic.

Kegboy
08-07-2007, 07:43 PM
If your going to argue at least be realistic.

:potkettle:

Infinite MAN_force
08-07-2007, 07:47 PM
I listened to the interview on JMV today and have to say it left me with a better feeling about JO than I have had for a long time. Ive been a big proponent of aquiring Bynum, but im starting to lean toward giving this thing a chance.

After all, if it doesent work out you can trade midseason or let him opt out and sign and trade.

I also dont think our roster is nearly as bad as people think, but there are some big question marks...

Can Harter improve the defense?
Will Granger break out?
Can Kareem Rush be our starting SG?
Will Tinsley respond well to Obrien and get it together?

If you can answer yes to those four questions and what JO says is true about his health (says he feels better than he has in three years. the whole thing about the surgery really intruiged me) I just dont know. JO has a year like his near MVP year??? You never know what can happen.

Ive changed my mind (about trading), I say give it a chance and see how it goes. We can still trade next year if need be...

QuickRelease
08-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't want to feel like I'm letting TPTB brainwash me or anything, but both Larry's and JO's interviews were fantastic today, and they both won me over (for now, anyway).

I'm also no longer anti-GS trade, since JO confirmed how much better the locker room was after the trade.

I don't think the locker room chemistry was ever an issue with this new group. If you remember in J Foster's closing interview on Pacers.com, he noted that the locker room was a lot better. I think the question is how much faith does JO have in the oncourt talent of the players we have.

BlueNGold
08-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Wow.....it sounds different then what I thought he would say. I have to reread both CNNSI and ESPN articles now to see which matches up.

He doesn't request a trade....but he says that IF the Pacers are rebuilding...then he would like to go to LA or NJ....which is different then actually requesting one.

But since it looks like we are retooling rather then rebuilding......then I guess JONeal is a Pacer until the Lakers give up both Odom+Bynum :shrug:

This is hilarious. JO has nothing to worry about. He will get what he wants by default.

We are only rebuilding if HE gets traded....and we are NOT rebuilding until HE is traded. Hardly anyone else on the team matters except Granger, and Danny's not going anywhere.

Sit back and relax JO....unless you really don't believe the team can be successful with you as the centerpiece.

QuickRelease
08-07-2007, 08:04 PM

But if the stuff we're hearing is from some small timer trying to make his name big no matter what he has to do to get there, I think it's unfair to pin that on JO, especially if the guy who wrote this stuff picked up bits and pieces of a conversation he wasn't involved in, and ran wild with it. Is that JO's fault?

bulldog
08-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Well, I'm at least glad that we no longer feel like we absolutely have to trade JO.

It's now a matter of waiting for the right deal to come along, whether that be Odom/Bynum or an upgraded version of the New Jersey trade, or a third team coming in to give us some young prospects.

Will be we better next year than we were at the end of last year? A little bit, probably.

Will I be happy coming back with the roster as it stands today? Not exactly, but there isn't a single JO trade scenario that's gonna leave me thrilled with our roster for the upcoming season. So I'll settle for the status quo, if need be.

And whenever I'm feeling blue, I'll just think "at least I'm not Sam Alipour," who's gonna be out of a job very soon.

QuickRelease
08-07-2007, 08:11 PM
If Jack had been busted DEALING drugs (like some Blazers), shooting at someone, starting something instead of it coming to find him, etc then I might have been frustrated there.

Ummmmm......DING!

avoidingtheclowns
08-07-2007, 08:26 PM
here is the audio from the jermaine interview. not bird.

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/-1099707161/JO_interview.m4a (http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/-1099707161/JO_interview.m4a)

click on the link and in the top right corner you copy/enter the 3-letter code and click 'download'. it'll take you to another page (maybe a pop-up). and it will countdown 30 seconds and then click download again. its 17min long

MagicRat
08-07-2007, 09:07 PM
FYI: Larry is going to be on WIBC tonight sometime between 10:20 and 11.....

grace
08-07-2007, 09:24 PM

They'd have to include door to door limo service, the seats of our choice, free drinks (notice I didn't say food because the food there stinks), and the right to have the people sitting around us moved before he'd even be interested.

****, I better put some clothes on then. :blush:

I guess it should also include a wardrobe.

Keg, if you're lights disappear again you'll know who to blame this time.

Tom White
08-07-2007, 10:07 PM
And you know, I think a BIG reason I jumped on him so quickly yesterday is I am sick, SICK, SICK

It's so far removed from what made me a fan I want to throw up.

Hey guys, Hicks needs a barf sock. Who had it last? Peck? UB?

Tom White
08-07-2007, 10:13 PM
hus·tle<SCRIPT>play_w("H0335300")</SCRIPT>
1. To jostle or shove roughly.
2. To convey in a hurried or rough manner
3. To cause or urge to proceed quickly
4. To gain by energetic effort
5. Slang a. To sell or get by questionable or aggressive means
b. To pressure into buying or doing something
c. To misrepresent one's skill in (a game or activity) in order to deceive someone, especially in gambling

Or to dance to a really bad song from the 70's called Do The Hustle

Tom White
08-07-2007, 10:31 PM
then I guess JONeal is a Pacer until the Lakers give up both Odom+Bynum :shrug:

Speaking of the Lakers...

Has everyone noticed the lack of Laker trolls in this thread?

Well, other than one who should just shut up and go home.

MagicRat
08-07-2007, 10:53 PM

Get off my lawn, you hooligans! I already gave you my 947,593,467,058 reasons why I'm not coming back!................
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/keggercracker.jpg

LoneGranger33
08-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Nightmares. Thanks.

ChicagoJ
08-07-2007, 11:07 PM
The East is getting stronger. Boston just became a legit contender overnight. NJ, Detroit, and Cleveland all have a leg up on the Pacers. This is not even mentioning the WC. You think your team can take down the likes of the Suns or Spurs in the Finals? If so, pass me the pipe bro.....

And who are you going to get in a mid-season trade? JO is your only valuable asset. If your going to argue at least be realistic.

I'm tired of playing nice. You are either out of touch with reality or you're doing this just to get a reaction.

The East is getting stronger. Boston just became a legit contender overnight.

Boston is one ACL from the lottery, and they've mortgaged their future as well. I think Boston is going to have chemistry issues, and their new guys have logged a ton of minutes in the past decade and aren't getting any younger.

Besides, they have three superstars batting over the SG/SF spots. Who's going to play in the paint?

I don't think Doc Rivers is the coach to get anything out of them. They need Phil or Pat. Yeah right, that will happen... They've got a one-year window, max.

NJ, Detroit, and Cleveland all have a leg up on the Pacers.
Yes. So what? I didn't say the Pacers were a contender right now.

This is not even mentioning the WC. You think your team can take down the likes of the Suns or Spurs in the Finals? If so, pass me the pipe bro.....

I wasn't talking about the WC. I didn't say the Pacers could beat the WC contenders right now.

So thanks for criticizing me for things I didn't say.
:-p

And who are you going to get in a mid-season trade? JO is your only valuable asset.

I happen to really like Danny Granger, but if the Pacers could trade him for a starting SG, and that seems reasonable for a second year SF that averaged 14 and 5. Or if Shawne Williams continues to progress, he could be an asset.

I think you are substantially undervaluing the remainde of the Pacers based on a typical "what have you done lately" mentality that only looks at the fiasco we endured last spring without examining the root cause. Without Carlisle, I look for Jim O'Brien's system to do a better job of showcasing some of our other players who could turn into tradeable assets - Foster and/or Murphy would be ideal sixth-men for a contender and could net a young guard that is ready to break into the starting lineup. Marquis Daniels and Tinsley could turn into tradeable assets under the right coach.

I still think there is some demand for Dunleavy, though I'd prefer the Pacers keep him unless they can get Maggette.

If your going to argue at least be realistic.

There are so many things wrong with YOU saying that - I just don't know where to begin.

So... back at ya.

I assume you'll take a self-imposed hiatus from posting at PD until you can at least be realistic? Because hopefully you realize that posts like this and the others you have been littering around here are not making PD a better place... for our regulars (who will be here again after you are gone), for your fellow Lakers fans (not all of them are trolls but many of them are 'guilty by association'), for anyone.

:stupid:

MagicRat
08-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Here's Larry on WIBC about a half hour ago or so......

http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/birdwibc8707.mp3 (http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/birdwibc8707.mp3)

ToTheAtom
08-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I would assume that JO never got off on the right foot with Larry because of Bird's role in Isaiah's departure shorty after returning to the organization. Jermaine seems like a pretty loyal guy and I imagine there has been some resentment lingering there for a while.

Naptown_Seth
08-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Ummmmm......DING!
Um, video and testimony say he shot in the air (and maybe also the ground) in a warning shot/break it up manner.

Did it work? Well the brawl certainly ended, didn't it? Was it the best way to end it? No, dude got HIT BY A CAR FOR IT.

But he didn't shoot at someone, he pulled an Eddie Murphy ala 48 Hours or about 10 million other cop shows depict. Doesn't make it the best thing, but it's odd to me that John Wayne can fire off a shot into the air, get everyone's attention and he's a big hero...

I now realize that Duke, Clint, et al where really just gangsta thugs keeping it real. Think of the decades of tramautized children that watched those films and think that behavior was acceptable, I mean all those bar brawls, even Jimmy Stewart was involved. Destry, stop firing that gun, you'll get run over by the noon stage.

Naptown_Seth
08-08-2007, 01:56 AM
And my point is it happens to literally the best.
And my point is that a wire isn't a giant backboard. In film they use wires specifically because they are hard to see. I mean I hope Saras had noticed the backboard, kinda key to the game. I doubt Russell had been spending the entire game trying to hit that wire.

Also, you do make one great point, hitting that wire put Russell in the HOF because it's a sign of great basketball. That was the point, right? Or is it that DESPITE THAT CRAP PLAY Russell made enough great ones to merit being called one of the best. Saras made a habit of them, thus the bad rep.

Robert Parish got busted with pot at the airport, so let's give Jackson a break on his issues...criminal charges happen to the best.

Naptown_Seth
08-08-2007, 02:01 AM
BTW, regarding the reporting this summer, including Vescey, now Bucher, etc. Let's keep all these names bookmarked so we can never listen to a single word they say if JO is in the starting lineup for the Indiana Pacers this fall.

Time for some accountability.

Hicks
08-08-2007, 07:14 AM
And my point is that a wire isn't a giant backboard. In film they use wires specifically because they are hard to see. I mean I hope Saras had noticed the backboard, kinda key to the game. I doubt Russell had been spending the entire game trying to hit that wire.

Also, you do make one great point, hitting that wire put Russell in the HOF because it's a sign of great basketball. That was the point, right? Or is it that DESPITE THAT CRAP PLAY Russell made enough great ones to merit being called one of the best. Saras made a habit of them, thus the bad rep.

Robert Parish got busted with pot at the airport, so let's give Jackson a break on his issues...criminal charges happen to the best.

Back the hell up. ALL I was saying was that EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES.

Jesus.

H.

Christ.

:arrgh:

indygeezer
08-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Here's 5 minutes worth of what JO said...too bad it ended early, I'd have liked to hear the ENTIRE thing (sorry if this is already posted, y'all bee REAL busy)

http://www.basketballnewsservices.co...Neal_Audio.wma

Speed
08-08-2007, 09:03 AM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

The more I’ve investigated Jermainegate, the more complicated it seems. Which means it’s probably a good time to just let it go.

It does, however, provide an interesting look at how things often in the age of modern communications, and is as much a media story as it is a Jermaine O’Neal story.

Did O’Neal say he wanted to be traded from the Indiana Pacers when he talked with reporters for the Sports Illustrated and ESPN websites on Sunday? Was he misquoted, or quoted out of context? Has he been in a face-saving, damage control mode since his return to Indianapolis, or is he sincere about his desire to play with the Pacers next season? Is there a Rosemary Woods-like 18-minute gap in the audio file the Pacers released Tuesday upon O’Neal’s request? (There’s the inevitable Watergate reference, by the way.)

O’Neal was sufficiently angered by the reports that he has waged a one-man media campaign since then. He talked with Bob Kravitz and me on Monday. He wasn’t particularly happy with the stories that ran in Tuesday’s paper, and called me that afternoon to re-emphasize his stance. He later appeared on WNDE’s afternoon sports show, The Drive with JMV, to state his case. Most notably, he got the Pacers to release an audio file, complete with written transcript, of a large portion of his interview in L.A.

O’Neal’s basic point is that there were some major “ifs” attached to his comments that weren’t reported in L.A.
For example, he said he would like to play for the Lakers or Nets if the Pacers decide to trade him. And, he doesn’t want to be part of a rebuilding effort with the Pacers if they decide to embark upon one _ which he doesn’t believe they have.

The audio file, which was offered to the Pacers by another reporter on the scene, clearly shows some discrepancies between what was said and what was reported.

At the start of the audio file, O’Neal says “Indiana has given me the opportunity to establish myself as a really good player in this league, but if they’re into rebuilding and going really young I’m just not in position physically to go through another five or six years with taking a lot of losses and a lot of downtime, so if I was going to be traded from Indiana, L.A. and New Jersey would be my top two teams.”

Note the two "ifs."

Here’s how that quote appeared in the S.I account:
“I would welcome a trade to the Lakers. Indiana has given me the opportunity to establish myself as a really good player in this league, but they’re into rebuilding and going real young, I’m just not in a position to go through another five to six years with a lot of losses and a lot of down time.”

Note the absence of "ifs."

Here's how the quote appeared in the ESPN account:
"I love Indiana and the fans and we have a lot of nice young talent, but obviously (the Pacers are) in a situation now where they're rebuilding. I told them I can't be in a rebuilding mode right now. I'm at a point in my career where I can't wait another five years to contend. I'm not in a position physically to take in five years of losses and downtime."

That quote appears to be a patched-together amalgamation of O'Neal's comments throughout the interview. Still, note the absence of “ifs.”

By the way, the opening sentence of the S.I. quote in which O'Neal says he would welcome a trade to the Lakers was not included in the audio file, which sounded as if it could have been edited from the top. The S.I. writer, Arash Markazi, told me on Tuesday that O’Neal clearly said it in response to a question if he would welcome a trade to the Lakers.

OK, it’s not an 18-minute gap. But it could have been a clever edit to eliminate a troubling quote.
To further complicate matters, the ESPN report included a couple of strong quotes from O'Neal that did not appear in the S.I. account.

* “It’s time for me to move on. And the Lakers are the team I want Indiana to trade me to.”

* “Larry Bird is a hard man to deal with. He tries to make unfair trades. He wants to gut a team, but the Lakers are trying to get over the hump. I want Indiana to benefit, but with some nice young players and draft picks. I want to make it clear that I don’t want to gut a team that I come to because then it’ll be like I’m in Indiana all over again.”

O’Neal flatly denied making that last statement when I talked to him on Monday. I didn’t ask him about the first one.

I asked Markazi, who said he was standing with ESPN’s writer Sam Alipour when they interviewed O’Neal before and after the game on Sunday, if he had heard those statements. Markazi said no, but pointed out that Alipour might have talked with O’Neal on his own at another time that day.

That’s exactly what ESPN claims. Alipour wrote in an e-mail that he could not comment on O’Neal’s allegations, referring me to the network’s communications department. Paul Melvin, who works in that department, denied O’Neal’s denials in a telephone conversation.
Melvin said Alipour interviewed O’Neal at least three times on Sunday, and that he has a recording of the conversations.

“Everybody (at ESPN) is 100 percent comfortable with it,” Melvin said of Alipour’s account.

So there you have it. You can choose to believe whomever you want. It’s really not a big enough crisis to warrant so much intrigue, but it is an interesting journalistic study. All I know is if I’m Alipour and I have a recording of the comments that O’Neal denies making, I’m asking ESPN to post it on its website _ or at least playing it for reporters who call. I wouldn’t allow someone to challenge my credibility without responding.
(That’s the beauty of recorded interviews. Two seasons ago, Rick Carlisle challenged a quote I attributed to him in a postgame interview following a homecourt loss. I was able to play it for him the next day and that was the end of that. If I hadn’t recorded the interview or had erased it, he’d still be wondering if I had misquoted him.)

If Alipour doesn’t have a recording of the quotes in question, some people will believe they are not accurate. Others will wonder if he really would go to the trouble of fabricating a quote as complex as the one related to Bird. (Which, by the way, is really a compliment to Bird. What team president is going to give away a six-time All-Star without demanding a lot in return?)
There are parallel bottom lines here.

Both of the reports should have included the crucial “ifs” of O’Neal’s comments. The stories wouldn’t have been as dramatic, but they would have been more credible. And we all know internet reports need all the credibility they can get.

O’Neal, however, put himself in position to be misconstrued by talking so much about his interest in the Lakers _ what it would be like to play with Kobe Bryant, how much he and his family love L.A., how his body is wearing down physically and time is running out for him to win a championship.

That sort of speculative conversation is often heard from free agents, but not from players still under contract to another team.

Much of the fan reaction toward O’Neal has been negative since the internet reports were posted, but he can recover. He’s shown admirable hustle and passion the last two days while speaking on his own behalf, and there are enough legitimate questions about the general veracity of the reports to be able to challenge many of the details.

Uncertainty is an appropriate response in this case, and that usually leads to benefit of the doubt.
The media likes O’Neal for his eloquence and his willingness to display it. Three years ago, I presented him a trophy from The Professional Basketball Writers of America in recognition of his cooperation with reporters, so far be it from me to suggest he talk to us less often.

He should, however, have considered who he was talking with and how his comments might play to the team back home that’s scheduled to pay him $20 million next season.

-------------

Sorry if already posted, you can delete if so.

Kegboy
08-08-2007, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't be surprised, in fact, I would be surprised if Jermaine doesn't become more guarded with the media after this.

So, Alipour will talk to Hicks, but he won't talk to the cute little Bunny? Maybe the pancake scared him.

Seriously, if he's got 3 recordings, they should at least let the media here them. You know, since Jermaine denies even talking to the guy, I wonder if his "quotes" were something Alipour got from listening to him talk to other people, not the press. I wouldn't be surprised if JO said these things to a buddy there, or something. He'd never say such things on the record.

Kegboy
08-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Get off my lawn, you hooligans! I already gave you my 947,593,467,058 reasons why I'm not coming back!................
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/keggercracker.jpg

So, I guess I can stop dieting and start working on weight training. :yay2:

Not that I've been dieting. :fatbanana

Haggard
08-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Great thread.... this is great for people outside the Indy area (or even outside of the US). This is one of the reasons I follow this forum rather closely. I don't get this sort of information anywhere else.

blanket
08-08-2007, 12:30 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

At the start of the audio file, O’Neal says “Indiana has given me the opportunity to establish myself as a really good player in this league, but if they’re into rebuilding and going really young I’m just not in position physically to go through another five or six years with taking a lot of losses and a lot of downtime, so if I was going to be traded from Indiana, L.A. and New Jersey would be my top two teams.”

Note the two "ifs."

Here’s how that quote appeared in the S.I account:
“I would welcome a trade to the Lakers. Indiana has given me the opportunity to establish myself as a really good player in this league, but they’re into rebuilding and going real young, I’m just not in a position to go through another five to six years with a lot of losses and a lot of down time.”

Note the absence of "ifs."

Here's how the quote appeared in the ESPN account:
"I love Indiana and the fans and we have a lot of nice young talent, but obviously (the Pacers are) in a situation now where they're rebuilding. I told them I can't be in a rebuilding mode right now. I'm at a point in my career where I can't wait another five years to contend. I'm not in a position physically to take in five years of losses and downtime."

Hmmm... this looks kinda familiar. I wonder where I saw it first.

Oh, I know:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showpost.php?p=586462&postcount=118

:highfive:

I certainly do appreciate Mark calling out SI and especially ESPN on their mistakes/fabrications.

avoidingtheclowns
08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
so blanket = monteith? no wonder you have kravitz on a spit as your avy...

CableKC
08-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Hmmm... this looks kinda familiar. I wonder where I saw it first.

Oh, I know:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showpost.php?p=586462&postcount=118

:highfive:

I certainly do appreciate Mark calling SI and especially ESPN out on their mistakes/fabrications.
I thought the SAME EXACT thing when I read that article on IndyStar. You posted that immediately AFTER the Audio file became public.

blanket
08-08-2007, 01:28 PM
I thought the SAME EXACT thing when I read that article on IndyStar. You posted that immediately AFTER the Audio file became public.

Glad I could make Mark's job a little easier.

God knows he works too hard as it is, what with all those hard hitting Pacers exposes.

;)

Granville
08-08-2007, 01:36 PM
http://www.thebrushback.com/o%27neal_full.htm

I found this on Brushback.com. Brushback is like The Onion. It is a satirical look at the news. Just to be sure everyone understands, this is a joke. It is not real.

But, I found it very funny and thought my other Pacers fans might enjoy a break from the usual did he or didn't he drama.

Here is my favorite excerpt:

“When I said Indiana is hell on earth and I would rather die a slow death than spend one more minute there, I didn’t mean it literally,” O'Neal told reporters today. “It was actually taken out of context. I like it here. I like the team too. They’ve always been good to me. Those comments were in response to a specific question from a reporter and I think it’s misleading to um…print them.”

O’Neal insisted that reporter who questioned him was simply trying to bait him into saying something inflammatory.

“The reporter was like ‘What do you think of Indiana?’” O’Neal recalled. “So right there I’m in a position where I have to say something about Indiana. I didn’t want to. I certainly didn’t volunteer the information. But when a reporter with an agenda corners you, you are at their mercy. So I said what I said, but what I meant was that Indiana is a nice place that has its flaws just like any other place in America. I’m sorry that didn’t come across. Maybe I should be more articulate next time.”

Soon after the statement was published on Sports Illustrated’s website, CNNSI.com, O’Neal and his agent, Arn Tellem, rushed to do damage control. Not only did the statement offend millions of fans, it also weakened the Pacers’ position in potential trade negotiations.

“He doesn’t want a trade,” Tellem told the Associated Press on Monday. “He never asked for one, and the front office is under no pressure to do anything. It’s just so frustrating these days, with the 24 hour news cycle and constant flow of information, that one little statement about a player wanting to commit suicide rather than stay with his current team can get so misinterpreted and blown out of proportion. The fact is, Jermaine would never even consider committing suicide - not with only one year left on his contract.”

I highly encourage anyone to check out Brushback for a good laugh.

DisplacedKnick
08-08-2007, 01:39 PM
We'll end up posting the whole thing but I loved the last paragraph:

“We’re open to suggestions, but it’s not some big emergency where we have to unload him,” said Bird. “The fact is, he will opt out of his deal after next season and we will be able to use the money to sign a big name free agent. As for the Lakers, they’re not willing to meet our demands for Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom, so we can't deal with them. Apparently Kupchak thinks that would be a lateral move, which is funny, because if there's one person in this league that Mitch Kupchak shouldn't trust in evaluating players, it's himself.”

Granville
08-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Yeah, I liked that part too.

Other great headlines from today:

Report: Every Ref In NBA Receiving Money To Make Incorrect Calls

Lovie Smith Can’t Believe He Ended Up With Rex Grossman On Fantasy Team

Selig To Skip Giants Games In Order To Witness A-Rod’s 501st Home Run

LAKERERIC
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM

I can assure you Kupchak is a much better GM than Larry Bird. You guys sound like the ridiculous Laker fans I choose to listen to. The Lakers depth chart:

PG-Fisher, Farmar, Crittenton
SG-Kobe, Evans, Vujacic
SF-Walton, Radmanovic
PF-Odom, Turiaf, Cook
C-Bynum, Brown, Mihm

is a solid NBA roster. It is a roster that, besides Kobe, has all been put together over the past 3 years. This team probably wins right at 50 games this year. So don't be critical of my management when your management has made two awful trades to Sac and GS. Getting Peja was stupid. You did not even get a pick! Shoot, the Lakers were offering George, Brown and 2 #1s, but I guess we know where Bird stands on trading good players for youth and picks. No vision as a GM, maybe as much vision as anybody on a basketball court. Goes to show you how different the two jobs are.

avoidingtheclowns
08-08-2007, 03:02 PM
I can assure you Kupchak is a much better GM than Larry Bird. You guys sound like the ridiculous Laker fans I choose to listen to. The Lakers depth chart:

SG-Kobe, Evans, Vujacic
SF-Walton, Radmanovic
PF-Odom, Turiaf, Cook
C-Bynum, Brown, Mihm

is a solid NBA roster. It is a roster that, besides Kobe, has all been put together over the past 3 years. This team probably wins right at 50 games this year. So don't be critical of my management when your management has made two awful trades to Sac and GS. Getting Peja was stupid. You did not even get a pick! Shoot, the Lakers were offering George, Brown and 2 #1s, but I guess we know where Bird stands on trading good players for youth and picks. No vision as a GM, maybe as much vision as anybody on a basketball court. Goes to show you how different the two jobs are.

brush up on your reading comprehension buddy.

http://www.thebrushback.com/o%27neal_full.htm

I found this on Brushback.com. Brushback is like The Onion. It is a satirical look at the news. Just to be sure everyone understands, this is a joke. It is not real.

Tom White
08-08-2007, 03:23 PM

SG-Kobe, Evans, Vujacic
SF-Walton, Radmanovic
PF-Odom, Turiaf, Cook
C-Bynum, Brown, Mihm

Back off Boogaloo!

The site that article came from is known for HUMOR. We're just having a laugh at it. If you aren't familiar with the word HUMOR, go look it up.

Speed
08-08-2007, 03:40 PM
I should take some of these trolls off ignore, just to see stuff like above where they overtly make fools of themselves, lol.

Otherwise, this site had a Jokim Noah article back in like April that literally had me crying I was laughing so hard.

And here you go, sorry to highjack the thread, but this just kills me. I think I acutally linked it off of PD anyway. Pleae delete it if it bothers people.

http://www.thebrushback.com/noah_full.htm

Noah Looking To Annoy People On NBA Level Next Year

ATLANTA--With his Junior year behind him, Florida forward Joakim Noah is planning to leave school and go pro next season, where he is looking forward to annoying people on an NBA level. The wild, outspoken star has been annoying college fans for years, and feels he is finally ready for the big time.

“I’m definitely going pro,” said a delirious, wild-eyed Noah, moments after clinching his second straight national championship. “If anybody thinks they’ve seen annoying from me, they haven’t seen anything yet. I’m going to go completely batsh*t when I get to the NBA.”

Noah then walked to center court, removed his shirt, and performed a dance that resembled the mating ritual of the South American water fowl. When he was done, he once again reiterated his desire to be a total spastic retard in the bright lights of the NBA.

“Doing it on this level is one thing, but doing it in the pros is going to be a totally different,” Noah said. “There are a lot of annoying people in the NBA, but eventually, I’m going to surpass all of them. Have you ever seen me during the games? I get all geeked-up over made free throws. I sh$t my pants when someone executes a nice inbound pass. If I ever win an NBA title, forget it. They're going to have to shoot me with a tranquilizer dart. ”

Noah says being annoying comes naturally to him and helps give him an edge over the competition.

“I think I definitely get into guys’ heads the way I act,” Noah said. “I’m always pumping my fist and shouting things, and there’s always spit and sweat flying everywhere, and if I was on the other team I’d just want to punch me. Sometimes I just want to punch myself. Hey, maybe I should try that. After my next big basket I’ll just wallop myself upside the head. At the very least it will make everybody else in America extremely jealous.”

On his way back to the locker room, Noah approached teammate Corey Brewer from behind, jumped on his back, and tackled him to the ground. He then proceeded to slam Brewer’s head into the floor repeatedly, in celebration of their second straight national title. Afterwards, a dazed Brewer pulled himself to his feet and praised his teammate.
“Joakim is a real great guy,” said Brewer. “He brings so much passion and excitement to the game. He’s just a big ball of energy. It’s contagious, too. When he gets to the NBA, watch out. It’s going to be awesome. I just hope we’re not teammates. Honestly, the guy exhausts me.”

In the Gators locker room, Noah was the life of the party, spraying his teammates with champagne, performing an impromptu rap song, and dirty-dancing with a mortified Billy Packer.

“Get this f%$king kid away from me,” Packer told coach Billy Donovan, as Noah grinded against him. “I’m serious. This isn’t funny. Tell him to stop. That’s it. I’m leaving. Sorry, but I have better taste in women than that.”

After Packer left, Donovan defended his star player.

“Joakim means well, he’s just a little retarded,” said Donovan, his arm around Noah’s shoulders. “Do I consider him annoying? Not really. I just think he’s a young kid with loads of passion and he’s unable to keep it bottled up. He’s going to be a great player on the next level, and I predict he’ll be known more for his talent than for his behavior. Right, buddy? Joakim? Joakim? Please stop biting me.”

avoidingtheclowns
08-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Back off Boogaloo!

The site that article came from is known for HUMOR. We're just having a laugh at it. If you aren't familiar with the word HUMOR, go look it up.

tom, we're trying to be civil. there was no need to be malicious and whip out ringo starr songs. thats just mean.

Tom White
08-08-2007, 03:49 PM
tom, we're trying to be civil. there was no need to be malicious and whip out ringo starr songs. thats just mean.

OK. Next time I'll quote George. He was always more mellow, and I'm sure I can think of Something.
For now, I'll just try to return to When We Was Fab.

Granville
08-08-2007, 04:06 PM
I should take some of these trolls off ignore, just to see stuff like above where they overtly make fools of themselves, lol.

Otherwise, this site had a Jokim Noah article back in like April that literally had me crying I was laughing so hard.

And here you go, sorry to highjack the thread, but this just kills me. I think I acutally linked it off of PD anyway. Pleae delete it if it bothers people.

http://www.thebrushback.com/noah_full.htm

Noah Looking To Annoy People On NBA Level Next Year

On his way back to the locker room, Noah approached teammate Corey Brewer from behind, jumped on his back, and tackled him to the ground. He then proceeded to slam Brewer’s head into the floor repeatedly, in celebration of their second straight national title. Afterwards, a dazed Brewer pulled himself to his feet and praised his teammate.
“Joakim is a real great guy,” said Brewer. “He brings so much passion and excitement to the game. He’s just a big ball of energy. It’s contagious, too. When he gets to the NBA, watch out. It’s going to be awesome. I just hope we’re not teammates. Honestly, the guy exhausts me.”

In the Gators locker room, Noah was the life of the party, spraying his teammates with champagne, performing an impromptu rap song, and dirty-dancing with a mortified Billy Packer.

“Get this f%$king kid away from me,” Packer told coach Billy Donovan, as Noah grinded against him. “I’m serious. This isn’t funny. Tell him to stop. That’s it. I’m leaving. Sorry, but I have better taste in women than that.”

Classic! And yes, Lakereric, we still know it is a joke.

Naptown_Seth
08-08-2007, 04:25 PM
I didn't read the blog. I was reading this thread from the last page back just now and actually thought "wait, that was Mark being quoted, I thought a poster here had said that."

Good that the info gets out there, but sheesh, at least note the source.

Naptown_Seth
08-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Back the hell up. ALL I was saying was that EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES.

Jesus.

H.

Christ.

:arrgh:
Some are understandable and extremely rare, some are bold and common enough to put on a resume or portfolio. That was always the point, not that some people are perfect. So I don't really understand how your point disputes anything.

It SOUNDED very much like somehow that odd occurance happening to Russell EXCUSED it for Saras, when in fact it was simply a funny one of many. That's why I responded like I did, including the point that "everyone makes mistakes" could also be said of Jackson. Not sure too many people would be satisfied with that excuse for him either.

Maybe the original response to your Russell comment should have been:

"I was just pointing out something funny Saras did.
Jesus.
H.
Christ."

It wasn't a debate about Saras till you took up the other side you know.

LoneGranger33
08-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I think I am partly to blame for making the original clarification about Russell's slip-up. I apologize, and am willing to kiss and make-up. :)