PDA

View Full Version : J O'Neal audio from charity event

avoidingtheclowns
08-07-2007, 02:32 PM
sorry for making a new thread... but thought this should at least get peoples attention. this just was posted at RealGM

http://getgarnett.com/blog/?p=736

J O’Neal audio from charity event (http://getgarnett.com/blog/?p=736)

Published by <ADDRESS class="vcard author">LD2k (http://getgarnett.com/blog/?author=4)</ADDRESS><ABBR class=published title=2007-08-07T09:48:58-0700>at August 7, 2007</ABBR> in Random (http://getgarnett.com/blog/?cat=15).
<!-- .entry-meta -->
<!-- .entry-head -->Here is the audio interview with J. O’Neal. This was the actual recording in which people are denying. Now you can listen for yourself. Basketball News Services supplied us all with the audio.
http://www.basketballnewsservices.com/storage/JermaineONeal_Audio.wma (http://www.basketballnewsservices.com/storage/JermaineONeal_Audio.wma)

<!-- .entry-content -->

JayRedd
08-07-2007, 02:36 PM
I've only got Mac access today and that won't play for me.

If anyone can post their take it would be appreciated.

Oneal07
08-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Thank You!!!

He didn't demand no trade. . That's all you need to know!!

Hicks
08-07-2007, 02:42 PM
*Edit* Nevermind, I'll just put it up on youtube.

Shade
08-07-2007, 02:46 PM
He basically said that he loves LA and would love to play with Kobe, and he would "allow" the Pacers to trade him to the Lakers if the Pacers decide to trade him.

He said he doesn't want to rebuild, because his body will begin to break down, but he feels like he's 100% right now, and he wants to be rejuvinated this year.

He did NOT demand a trade. He did NOT say he would opt out after the season, though he said he thinks the Pacers will want to move him after the season if things don't work out this year.

MagicRat
08-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Seems to me that JO uses a lot of "if's" that don't come through in the printed quotes......

Oneal07
08-07-2007, 02:49 PM
^ Thats the whole purpose of the media. . .If you watched David Stern's press conference few weeks back about the ref scandal, some one purposely mis-quoted him to try to get an answer out of him, David Stern knows better than that. . .He punk'd him off saying that's not what I said, and asked if he had the transcript

Granville
08-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Seems to me that JO uses a lot of "if's" that don't come through in the printed quotes......

I agree. I was one who thought his quotes seemed pretty straight forward and hard to read in any way other than him pushing for a trade. However, after hearing it, I don't feel that way at all. He's really saying if the Pacers rebuild, and if I get traded, etc.

Shade
08-07-2007, 02:51 PM
For the record, I don't blame JO for not wanting to rebuild at this stage of his career, and I am miffed that TPTB haven't made more moves this summer than they have.

JO clearly wants to play for a contender, regardless of whether it is here, in LA, in NJ, or someplace else.

Btw, Alipour should really consider coughing up his audio at this point, because NONE of the damaging stuff he wrote in his article appeared in this audio clip.

avoidingtheclowns
08-07-2007, 02:52 PM
yup this isn't a kobe... now if the ESPN guy sends us his exclusive audio that could be more kobelicious

oneofthesedays
08-07-2007, 02:54 PM
i thought the trade comments came after this event?

MagicRat
08-07-2007, 02:55 PM
sorry for making a new thread...

Don't apologize. That big JO thread makes my brain hurt......

Shade
08-07-2007, 03:04 PM
i thought the trade comments came after this event?

Nope, same event:

Speaking at Baron Davis (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3326) and Paul Pierce's annual L.A. Stars charity basketball game at USC's Galen Center, O'Neal says he'd like for Indiana to trade him to L.A.

"It's time for me to move on," he said. "And the Lakers are the team I want Indiana to trade me to."

rexnom
08-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Btw, they call him EJ because his name is Eric Gordon Jr...and he just went by EJ and not EG...not that it has anything to do with anything.

Shade
08-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Btw, they call him EJ because his name is Eric Gordon Jr...and he just went by EJ and not EG...not that it has anything to do with anything.

I always thought that was kind of silly, personally. :shrug:

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 03:53 PM
So ESPN does tells lies? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

I knew those quotes were out of the ordinary for JO.

And I can't believe people were comparing him to Artest...Probably the dumbest comparison ever made.

rexnom
08-07-2007, 04:05 PM
I always thought that was kind of silly, personally. :shrug:
Me too, his brother told me when I was tutoring him back in my high school days at North Central and I asked him if they ever thought of changing it and apparently that's just the way it's always been.

Naptown_Seth
08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
My favorite part was where he said "Bird does unfair trades"...

oh wait...

As I said in the main thread, this is a NON-STORY. This is a player being asked about trade rumors and rebuilding situations that he didn't start or create. All he is doing is saying that he understands the desire Kobe has to get to winning now before his window closes, understands that if things don't work out with Indy that it would be smart to trade him for younger pieces, and says that like Kobe he's not sure he's physically (and implied mentally) ready to deal with a hard rebuild with tons of losing.

He's telling LA people that he'd be fine coming to LA if that's how it goes. So freaking what.

Honestly I think he's very nice toward the Pacers in these comments, he's being empathetic to their own rebuild situation rather than demanding stuff. He's saying "I love Indy but I can see where this might be headed".

The Andes, brought to you by small varments of the burrowing kind.

Perhaps Alipour has a different tape from another set of questions?

Hicks
08-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Sorry for the delay:

J86irACs9rQ

For those that couldn't hear the audio from the first link.

Eric_Pincus
08-07-2007, 09:11 PM
That's the audio clip I captured that night - I actually felt that JO went out of his way to be respectful of the Pacers.

I am still trying to understand where ESPN got the additional quotes - cause he didn't say them obviously when I had a mic in his face.

LG33
08-07-2007, 09:49 PM
That's the audio clip I captured that night - I actually felt that JO went out of his way to be respectful of the Pacers.

I am still trying to understand where ESPN got the additional quotes - cause he didn't say them obviously when I had a mic in his face.

I wish you would have said something, I dunno, 6 hours earlier! But it's good to hear another reporter's confirmation nonetheless.

Oneal07
08-07-2007, 09:53 PM
ESPN is full of Losers. . except Stephen A Smith. . .he's the only one who keeps it real on there

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 09:59 PM
ESPN is full of Losers. . except Stephen A Smith. . .he's the only one who keeps it real on there

:lmao:

Shade
08-07-2007, 10:03 PM

Are you questioning ESPN's credibility? Don't you remember when Ron Artest got in a fight during All-Star Weekend? No? Well, honestly, I don't either...and neither does anyone else here...or Ron Artest, for that matter...BUT ESPN SURE DOES!!! :sarcasm:

Shade
08-07-2007, 10:04 PM

Yelling louder than everyone else and being narrow-minded and stubborn doesn't constitute "keeping it real."

Trader Joe
08-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Are you questioning ESPN's credibility? Don't you remember when Ron Artest got in a fight during All-Star Weekend? No? Well, honestly, I don't either...and neither does anyone else here...or Ron Artest, for that matter...BUT ESPN SURE DOES!!! :sarcasm:

Dude don't forget ESPN is convinced that JO has been a Laker since like two weeks before the draft. And we got Odom, Bynum, and the 19th pick.

Oneal07
08-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Yelling louder than everyone else and being narrow-minded and stubborn doesn't constitute "keeping it real."

He stays true to his opinion!! who cares if he's loud and stubborn!!

Then again it's my opinion, I don't even follow ESPN, but If If I'm gonna listen to someone on ESPN might as well be smith

Shade
08-07-2007, 10:20 PM
He stays true to his opinion!! who cares if he's loud and stubborn!!

Then again it's my opinion, I don't even follow ESPN, but If If I'm gonna listen to someone on ESPN might as well be smith

Who doesn't? Most of us just aren't overly obnoxious about it.

avoidingtheclowns
08-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Who doesn't? Most of us just aren't overly obnoxious about it.

you must be new to this digest...

tora tora
08-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Tomorrow Jimmy Kimmel interviews Kobe Bryant, should be interesting to see what he has to say...

Kegboy
08-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Who doesn't?

Well, there's the ESPN crew who changed their story the day after the brawl. Though, I still have heard Greg Anthony speak the truth in radio interviews.