PDA

View Full Version : Celts sign Pollard

Smooth_for_Pres.
08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47515/20070807/celtics_sign_pollard/

Celtics, Pollard agree on deal

Veteran provides height up front

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff | August 7, 2007
The Celtics agreed to terms with free agent forward/center Scot Pollard yesterday, according to executive director of basketball operations/general manager Danny Ainge. The 6-foot-11-inch, 265-pound Pollard got a one-year deal believed to be worth the veteran minimum ($1.2 million for 10 years service). He adds a much-needed big man to the Celtics' frontcourt and raises the number of players under contract to 12, one shy of the league minimum.

Selected 19th overall by the Pistons in the 1997 draft, Pollard, 32, spent the bulk of his career with the Kings (five seasons). He enjoyed his best season with Sacramento in 2001-02, averaging a career-high 7.1 rebounds and 6.4 points. He played 80 games that year and averaged 23.5 minutes per contest.
After signing a one-year deal with Cleveland almost a year ago for about $2 million, Pollard played 24 games with the Cavaliers, averaging 1 point and 1.3 rebounds in 4.5 minutes per game. He has career averages of 4.5 points and 4.8 rebounds.
Preferring to wait until the deal is officially signed, Ainge declined to comment yesterday on why the team pursued Pollard. Undoubtedly, in addition to his size, the Celtics found Pollard's rebounding ability and intensity and energy appealing. Plus, after playing for the Cavaliers last season, he has experience with a playoff run to the NBA Finals. And it doesn't hurt that Pollard played two years at Kansas alongside Paul Pierce.
At the very least, Pollard promises to keep the locker room loose with his quirky humor and unusual hairstyles, like the mini-Mohawk he sported with Cleveland.
But sometimes Pollard can go too far. Late last season, when the Cavaliers played one of his former teams, the Pacers, Pollard was on the bench in street clothes. He made headlines when he looked into a camera and said, "Hey kids, do drugs." Pollard later apologized for the remark, calling it a bad joke.
Joking aside, if Pollard stays healthy and earns an opportunity to play consistently, he could be a pleasant surprise. While he may be less heralded than the other 30-something acquisitions the Celtics have made this offseason, he could be a valuable role player with his defense.http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

Good for him... he might actually see some PT behind Kendrick Perkins.

GrangerRanger
08-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Champ-ion-ship.:dance:

Young
08-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Good move.

I said they should take a look at Scot, or some big like him. Will be a good signing.

Naptown_Seth
08-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Ring chaser
;)

Hey, if we are piling on guys like Payton, Walker and Karl Malone then we might as well give it to Pollard too. :D

Kstat
08-07-2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/cgo0206l.jpg

BoomBaby33
08-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Hillarious - you guys kill me. :D

Seriously, i have always been a fan of Scot's. He has seemed to always be under utilized after his days in Sactown. Maybe this is his chance, indeed.

Good luck Scot. Just another reason for me to have the Celtics to root for - they are putting together a bunch of good guys.

JayRedd
08-07-2007, 01:23 PM

:laugh:

CableKC
08-07-2007, 01:24 PM
I think that this is a good signing for both Pollard and the Celtics.

A couple of months ago, I was listening to an interview on KHTK 1140 ( the SacTown Kings radio station ) that they were doing with Scot Pollard.

They asked him about his future. Although he didn't know where he would end up...he did say that his back hasn't been bothering him at all and that he was at full strength. The main reason that he gave was that in Cleveland....although he probably played a little...he didn't really play enough to bother his back. He had the chance to stay in game-shape where he was active ( I'm guessing in practice and all ) but not really strain his back.

carpediem024
08-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I think that this is a good signing for both Pollard and the Celtics.

A couple of months ago, I was listening to an interview on KHTK 1140 ( the SacTown Kings radio station ) that they were doing with Scot Pollard.

They asked him about his future. Although he didn't know where he would end up...he did say that his back hasn't been bothering him at all and that he was at full strength. The main reason that he gave was that in Cleveland....although he probably played a little...he didn't really play enough to bother his back. He had the chance to stay in game-shape where he was active ( I'm guessing in practice and all ) but not really strain his back.

Haha lol because we always used him to defend Shaq and got turned in to a rag doll.

Well I actually think he did good defending him.

Suaveness
08-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Actually I saw Scot yesterday at a movie theatre here in Indy....

MagicRat
08-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Hey Boston kids, do drugs.

DisplacedKnick
08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Scott Pollard is the NBA version of the guy who bounces around town from job to job to job. He's basically useless but such a nice guy that it's hard to turn him down when he walks in the office and asks to be hired.

And every time you see him at the new store, bagging groceries or whatever you ask yourself, "How is he still finding work?"

Isaac
08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Boston has finally found the second option they have been looking for since the trade for KG.

DisplacedKnick
08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Actually I saw Scot yesterday at a movie theatre here in Indy....

I'm sure you're coming to the urinal encounter eventually.

JayRedd
08-07-2007, 04:02 PM
every time you see him at the new store, bagging groceries or whatever you ask yourself, "How is he still finding work?"

"And what's up with that haircut?"

GrangerRanger
08-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Sarunas's agent says that he wants to go to the Celtics. The only link I can find for it leads to some euro site with a bunch of slavic? like language..:rolleyes:

LG33
08-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Veteran provides height up front
If I only read the headline (which I did), I'd probably feel bad for Polly (Full name: "Polly is a Cracker") because it appears the only reason he beat out the competition is because he was taller. Then again, I'd remember that that's how he's made his career.

Secondly, if Sarunas gets signed, as GrangerRanger suggests could happen, I wonder what flattering headline he will receive. Here are the Top Five possibilities, courtesy of David Letterman.

5. Veteran provides slight disgrunt
*4. Veteran provides wife up front
3. Veteran provides paper plates, you bring the napkins
2. Veteran provides material for local stand-ups
1. Veteran provides white, a runt

I don't know why Letterman despises Sarunas.

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/sarunas0303.jpg

carpediem024
08-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Rememba when he ripped his jersey! :laugh:

mb221
08-08-2007, 04:15 AM
First post not in the welcome section :)

Funny how little of a mention his three year stint with the Pacers gets. Although nothing too terribly notable happened, I sure enjoyed watching Scot play with the P's. It really seemed like he was always doing something positive on the floor when he was getting minutes, whether it be bodying up a big or just grabbing some boards... something the Pacers could ALWAYS use help with! Hopefully he can get some playing time with the Celtics and something positive this season.

NuffSaid
08-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Regardless of whether or not one things this was a good move for Scott Pollard, I'm just happy the guy landed on his feet (excuse the pun. :laugh: ) He didn't see much playing time in Cleveland for obvious reasons; they had Big Iggy! Plus, Pollard isn't the offensive threat Iggy is. But he can still play some pretty good defense. Sometimes, that's what you need to allow your front-court offensive threat "do what he do, baby!"

Sidenote: I'm still not handing over a ring to the Celtics just yet. They still have to play the game. Last I counted there are more than 3 players on a basketball team. Moreover, it takes more than a collections of superstars to win the big price. Look at what happened to the Lakers right before Shaq left. And how 'bout those Mavs; they had all the talent in the world w/a 67 win season and they still lost to an underdog. So, anything can happen in this league.

317Kim
08-08-2007, 07:21 PM
:laugh: Good ol' Scot Pollard.

When I first heard this, I wasn't sure if the signing was just because the Celtics needed to add more players to their roster or if they thought they found a diamond in the rough.

Good for Scot :)

8.9_seconds
08-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Good for Scot!

but......... I wish the title was Pacers sign Pollard.

Miss ya buddy, miss caring about the game, miss caring about the players....