PDA

View Full Version : Reggie or Kobe

pianoman
08-05-2007, 06:34 PM
I looked it up, and it is true that we had a chance to draft Kobe. Would you have wanted to keep reggie like we did and retire a legend, or take Kobe, part with Reggie and possibly win a championship, then have Kobe opt out to anoter team?

Arcadian
08-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Kobe was holding out if he wasn't traded to the Lakers. That's why he didn't play for the Hornets. So we couldn't have gotten him.

Lord Helmet
08-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Exactly, he was *****ing until he went to the Lakers as I recall.

Anthem
08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Not a chance in Hades that Kobe would have agreed to play in Indiana.

Hicks
08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
What they said. He'd have thrown his prima-donna whiny fest with us the same as he did to the Charlotte Hornets. Reason #1 he doesn't deserve as much respect as he gets (even though he's a great player).

pianoman
08-05-2007, 08:43 PM
okay,IF he did agree to come here. I should have said that.

grace
08-05-2007, 08:52 PM
If he agreed to come here I'd rule the world.

spreedom
08-05-2007, 09:16 PM
From everything I've read, Kobe's agent and father didn't want him playing in a small market because of his endorsement possibilities. I think the Nets were all ready to draft him (big enough market there!) but the Hornets had the last pick before Jersey.

I don't really understand all of the Kobe hatred, the guy plays his *** off and is probably (read: definitely) the best since Jordan so far.. I really think that his "dramatics" are a creation of the media.

Just my two cents though...

317Kim
08-05-2007, 09:19 PM
I'd choose Reggie. Easily.

diamonddave00
08-05-2007, 09:21 PM
It was a pre-arranged trade Vlade Divac for Kobe , one of Jerry West better moves.

count55
08-05-2007, 09:34 PM
From everything I've read, Kobe's agent and father didn't want him playing in a small market because of his endorsement possibilities. I think the Nets were all ready to draft him (big enough market there!) but the Hornets had the last pick before Jersey.

I don't really understand all of the Kobe hatred, the guy plays his *** off and is probably (read: definitely) the best since Jordan so far.. I really think that his "dramatics" are a creation of the media.

Actually, the Nets were picking 8th that year, Kobe went 13th. The Nets had been specifically warned off by Kobe and his agent. There was an article about it in the Newark Star-Ledger maybe a month or so ago.

Link to Article (http://http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3ODMmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcxNTYwMjAmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk5)

So we return to the heart-stopping, mind-bending hours leading up to the '96 draft. The Nets had worked out Bryant three times, and fell madly in love all three times. Calipari and Nets general manager John Nash dined with Kobe's parents, Joe and Pam, the night before some lucky NBA team would hire the Bryants' high school wonderchild. Joe and Pam told the Nets' officials they wanted Kobe in the Meadowlands, close to their suburban Philly home.

Calipari and Nash agreed: They would select Kobe with the eighth pick.

The following day, Bryant's agent, Arn Tellem, informed Nash his client would play in Italy -- where Kobe spent some formative years watching his father play pro ball -- if the Nets dared to draft him. The GM knew Tellem must've had a deal in place. Nash knew that Jerry West, then in L.A., thought Bryant was about as good a young prospect as he'd ever seen.

Neither here nor there.

I voted for Reggie...wouldn't trade him for the world.

rexnom
08-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah...if Kobe would have come here, it's kind of ridiculous not to pick him.

King Tuts Tomb
08-05-2007, 10:38 PM

Duncan is the best player of the post Jordan era.

But I do agree that Kobe catches a lot of heat he doesn't deserve. Part of it is his being a jerk and the rape allegations, but a lot I think comes from factors not under his control (race, locations, etc).

Anthem
08-05-2007, 11:06 PM

But I do agree that Kobe catches a lot of heat he doesn't deserve. Part of it is his being a jerk and the rape allegations, but a lot I think comes from factors not under his control (race, locations, etc).
I was following until the end.

You know Tim Duncan's black, right?

LG33
08-05-2007, 11:09 PM

Yeah, so says a Kobe apologist. How easily you forget the vicious elbow he put on Mike Miller. Here are the before and after pictures to refresh your memory:

BEFORE
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/mike_miller-arton21095-240x240.jpg

AFTER (Warning: this is very graphic):

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0612/gallery.missedit1201/images/1210_13.jpg

:puke:
...poor guy...

Kegboy
08-05-2007, 11:28 PM

Dude, you're a sick man to post that. Excuse me while I go clean out my cache.

NapTonius Monk
08-05-2007, 11:46 PM

I don't get it....????:confused::confused::confused:

LG33
08-05-2007, 11:46 PM

I don't think the admins will let it remain for much longer. I was considering not posting it, but the truth must be told, even if some can't handle it. I mean, it is gruesome - definitely one of the worst things you'll see this year.

BTW, he's only a 6 on the Geiger counter...

http://tbonetom.tripod.com/geiger.jpg

JayRedd
08-06-2007, 12:17 AM

:onozomg:

Reggierock
08-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Reggie wins in any and every dimension possible. I'd much rather a player who bleeds for his team rather than his wallet.

bellisimo
08-06-2007, 06:11 AM
we the Pacers nation will always hold Reggie in a special place... :)

GrangerRanger
08-06-2007, 12:45 PM
We weren't going to trade Reggie for Kobe though..

If they gave up Vlade for him, theres no way we would raise his value by countering that offer by offering Reggie. I would take Kobe still though. Reason why is, this was 1996. Reggie didn't have as many memories on our team yet (he had alot, mind you, but he still played another 10 years). So, back then I would easily part with him, not knowing what he would have done for us in the future.

Kobe would still be playing for us, Reggie isn't.

naptown
08-06-2007, 01:04 PM
okay,IF he did agree to come here. I should have said that.

If he would have agreed to play for who ever drafted him he never would have made it to the Pacers. He would have been off the board by the time our pick rolled around.

count55
08-06-2007, 01:04 PM
We weren't going to trade Reggie for Kobe though..

If they gave up Vlade for him, theres no way we would raise his value by countering that offer by offering Reggie. I would take Kobe still though. Reason why is, this was 1996. Reggie didn't have as many memories on our team yet (he had alot, mind you, but he still played another 10 years). So, back then I would easily part with him, not knowing what he would have done for us in the future.

Kobe would still be playing for us, Reggie isn't.

By 1996, Reggie had done his 25-point-taunt-Spike-Lee-4th and his 8-points-in-11-seconds against the Knicks. Reggie had become the absolute face of the franchise by then.

Yes, he continued to add to his resume, but Reggie had become REGGIE by 1996.

FrenchConnection
08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
You have to pick Reggie because it is so rare that a star player will allow himself to become the face of the franchise in such a small market. In our case, this is worth more than talent. I thought that JO was one of those guys, but I guess I thought wrong.