PDA

View Full Version : Elton Brand ruptures achilles tendon

diamonddave00
08-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Brand Ruptures Achilles Tendon
August 3, 2007 - 7:25 pm
RealGM Staff Report -
Los Angeles Clippers ' forward Elton Brand ruptured his left Achilles tendon today during his regular daily workout at Spectrum Club South Bay.

Plans for Brand to undergo surgery to repair the injury are underway, the details of which will be made available by the team as soon as they are finalized. [

Y2J
08-03-2007, 08:01 PM
LINK (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47471/20070803/brand_ruptures_achilles_tendon/)

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="8" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <td class="wiretap_key_header">Brand Ruptures Achilles Tendon</td> </tr> <tr> <td>August 3, 2007 - 7:25 pm</td> </tr> <tr> <td>http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Brand_Elton_lac.jpgRealGM Staff Report -
Los Angeles Clippers (http://clippers.realgm.com/) ' forward Elton Brand (http://www.realgm.com/src_playerfile/1/elton_brand/) ruptured his left Achilles tendon today during his regular daily workout at Spectrum Club South Bay.

Plans for Brand to undergo surgery to repair the injury are underway, the details of which will be made available by the team as soon as they are finalized. [READ] (javascript:rgmow('/rgmow.php?aid=47471','47471'))</td></tr></tbody></table>
Well, the Clippers season is over 3 months before it begins. Of course this could end up being a blessing in disguise if they land one of Derrick Rose, O.J. Mayo, or Eric Gordon.

blanket
08-03-2007, 08:02 PM
trade JO for him! :yay2:

;)

carpediem024
08-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Oh man I did think he was one of the players that do good and rarely gets injured.

You know like Marvin Harrison.

Hicks
How long does this type of injury normally keep a player out? Is this what Voshon Lenard (sp?) had in Denver? Wasn't he out for a year (as in 12+months, not just the rest of the season) ?

Trader Joe
Holy crap. Looks like we got competition for the number 1 pick.

Smashed_Potato
08-03-2007, 08:07 PM
How long does this type of injury normally keep a player out? Is this what Voshon Lenard (sp?) had in Denver? Wasn't he out for a year (as in 12+months, not just the rest of the season) ?

6-12 months.

Kstat
08-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Brand's season is over. No way he comes back this year unless the Clippers are by some miracle still in the playoff race by March.

Otherwise, there's no reason to rush him back this year.

Hicks
08-03-2007, 08:15 PM
That's devastating. It'd be like JO doing it. Horrible.

ajbry
08-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Damn, awful news for Clips fans. Hope Elton can make a speedy and successful recovery.

LG33
08-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Damn, awful news for Clips fans. Hope Elton can make a speedy and successful recovery.

Seconded. Guy seems to be a class act from all I've heard about him.

Arcadian
08-03-2007, 09:33 PM
The Clippers are cursed.

ToTheAtom
08-03-2007, 09:50 PM
I was listening to ESPN 710 (Los Angeles) on the drive home today and news had just broke about Brand's injury. The hosts were talking about the possibility of trade talks with Indiana for Jermaine to fill in for Elton this season and eventually play together when he recovers. They said the Clips would have to start any deal with Corey Maggette because the Pacers were interested a couple of seasons ago.

Nothing more than speculation though..

Eindar
08-03-2007, 10:33 PM
I was listening to ESPN 710 (Los Angeles) on the drive home today and news had just broke about Brand's injury. The hosts were talking about the possibility of trade talks with Indiana for Jermaine to fill in for Elton this season and eventually play together when he recovers. They said the Clips would have to start any deal with Corey Maggette because the Pacers were interested a couple of seasons ago.

Nothing more than speculation though..

They don't have a whole lot in assets anymore, do they?

Y2J
08-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I'd consider Maggette and the Clippers 1st, unprotected.

GrangerRanger
08-04-2007, 12:19 AM
This really blows for Clippers fans. A few seasons ago they were actually talked about, now there back down in the gutter. There is a possiblity that he returns. From what I know, it takes around 6-12 weeks days for you to heal from one of these.

dohman
08-04-2007, 02:43 AM
The clippers are one of the main reason's why the rebuilding plan doesnt work. How long have they been rebuilding? Now their best player ever gets hurt in the offseason. I feel sorry for the clippers as a organization. They just cannot win.

rexnom
08-04-2007, 04:15 AM
Let's offer JO for Brand...no, seriously.

LG33
08-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Let's offer JO for Brand...no, seriously.

So we get a high draft pick this year, select somebody really good, and then have Elton come back next season...Genius.

Hicks
08-04-2007, 10:29 AM
So we get a high draft pick this year, select somebody really good, and then have Elton come back next season...Genius.

I'll admit the thought crossed my mind. But I don't think the Clippers do it. It's not as if Brand is much older than JO. Without checking, I'm not even sure if he's older at all. So they might as well wait instead of making a bad trade just to make this season more interesting. I'm sure THEY would rather have their pick if they're screwed.

Actually, it's too bad Oden's already here. The Clippers could have found themselves where the Spurs did when Robinson was out all year back in the day.

Kegboy
08-04-2007, 11:15 AM
The clippers are one of the main reason's why the rebuilding plan doesnt work. How long have they been rebuilding? Now their best player ever gets hurt in the offseason. I feel sorry for the clippers as a organization. They just cannot win.

Rebuilding implies they were once good.

Moses
08-04-2007, 12:01 PM
That sucks for the Clips.

A ruptured Achilles is a VERY bad injury to have. No way he comes back this season.

diamonddave00
08-04-2007, 01:04 PM
I had achille surgery , ripped my right one playing in a rec league . He's in for a long rehab , but with the improvements in surgery , he should be ready to play at near 100% in about a year. He'll be able to play on it before that but why would you risk retearing it for a few games come April ? Its best he just rehabs it takes his time and lets it heal completely.

Back deal for Elton and the Clippers , he seems like a class individual.

speakout4
08-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Perhaps we can offer Dunleavy or Murphy to the clippers for Magette. They could use another big right now. If we could unload Murphy then we should keep JO.

GrangerRanger
08-04-2007, 07:17 PM
There is a partial tear of the Achilles Tendon and a full tear. Partial - 6 to 8 weeks, Full - 9 to 12 weeks. I don't know where anyone got 12 months but thats far from the truth. If he only has a partial, hell, this kid could be in the starting lineup a few weeks into the season.

gph
08-04-2007, 07:32 PM
There is a partial tear of the Achilles Tendon and a full tear. Partial - 6 to 8 weeks, Full - 9 to 12 weeks. I don't know where anyone got 12 months but thats far from the truth. If he only has a partial, hell, this kid could be in the starting lineup a few weeks into the season.

You have bad info. The injury typically takes a year. As espn says:

"Achilles tendon injuries typically sideline NBA players for at least a year, which would theoretically threaten Brand's availability for all of the 2007-08 season."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2960614

Stryder
08-04-2007, 08:12 PM

Wrong.

Mention the injury, "achilles tendon rupture", to any athlete and he/she will cringe. 6 to 12 months is the correct rehab. time. I seriously doubt Brand will be back on the court this season. It is a major and serious injury.

JayRedd
08-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Mention the injury, "achilles tendon rupture", to any athlete and he/she will cringe.

Dominique Wilkens completely tore his in half and remembering the way he described it still makes me cringe. He said it felt like someone hit him with an axe from behind and he could feel the stretched tendon curl up like a window shade all the way up past his knee. Not sure it actually goes that far, but that's how he said it. Icky.

Tom White
08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Dominique Wilkens completely tore his in half and remembering the way he described it still makes me cringe. He said it felt like someone hit him with an axe from behind and he could feel the stretched tendon curl up like a window shade all the way up past his knee. Not sure it actually goes that far, but that's how he said it. Icky.

You could have gone all day without saying that!

I got a doggone twinge in my leg just reading that.

Eindar
08-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Perhaps we can offer Dunleavy or Murphy to the clippers for Magette. They could use another big right now. If we could unload Murphy then we should keep JO.

Heck, at this point, if we can catch them in a moment of weakness, I'd trade them Murphy in a contract dump, no Magette required! This actually isn't too far-fetched.

dohman
08-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Rebuilding implies they were once good.

that's so funny because its so true LOL

diamonddave00
08-04-2007, 09:50 PM
You can walk on it in a few weeks with minimal pain . But to play sports even at a recreational level its 6-12 months. For a pro athlete trying to comeback too early is stupid.

I've had the surgery there is a lot of difference between walking on it and trying to push off and run on it. Your calf muscles need to be rebuilt and in a lot of occassions when rehabbing it you will wear a post op boot and may even wear a custom made heel lift in your shoe. During the recovery time your calf muscle will shorten and will have to be slowly stretched back to its normal length. The comment Wilkins made is correct when I ripped mine felt as if someone had sliced my heel open and all nerves were exposed feeling. believe me when it tears you know it immediately.

When you play pro sports it makes no sense to risk years in exchange for a few meaningless April games.

Naptown_Seth
08-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Holy crap. Looks like we got competition for the number 1 pick.
Don't worry, they'll blow it. As long as the Spurs aren't drafting ahead of the Pacers things should be okay. ;)

GrangerRanger
08-06-2007, 11:16 PM
He's going to go under the knife on Tuesday.

sig
08-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Brand only has 2 years left on his contract. Half of that he will now miss. You know how the clips are when it comes to starting over. If the Pacers are truly headed for rebuild mode, why not JO for Brand and Livingston? To risky with their injuries? If they come back healthy after this next season it's bad for the Clips. Imagine the Pacers could be adding those 2 plus a high draft pick. I could see why neither side would do it but both sides gotta think about it.