PDA

View Full Version : WOW, I am shocked. Cro to the Warriors?

Unclebuck
08-02-2007, 09:58 AM
This makes no sense to me. I don't see how Cro can fit into the Warriors system. Explain it to me

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/08/02/SP8KRBF5C1.DTL&type=printable

Croshere might join team
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, August 2, 2007

While the Warriors won't be getting dream acquisition Kevin Garnett, they appear ready to make their first dent in free agency. Golden State has been in talks with forward Austin Croshere, according to a league source, and is close to signing the 10-year veteran.

The 6-foot-10 Croshere averaged 3.7 points and 3.0 rebounds in 11.9 minutes for Dallas last season after spending his first nine years in Indiana. He would give the Warriors some depth with the fate of their own free agents, Matt Barnes and Mickael Pietrus, still to be decided.

Negotiations to keep Barnes in Oakland will start over this week with Aaron Goodwin after Barnes switched agents for the second time in two months.

Barnes filed paperwork to terminate short-lived agent Dan Fegan two weeks ago, league sources said. The Bay Area-based Goodwin, who also reps top draft picks Kevin Durant and Al Horford, is expected to seek a multiyear deal from the Warriors.

Nelson update: John O'Connor, the representative for coach Don Nelson, met with Warriors team president Robert Rowell over lunch in Oakland on Tuesday to continue renegotiating Nelson's contact. Nelson is due $3.1 million in each of the next two seasons, but is seeking to have up to an additional $3 million in annual bonus money guaranteed. "Our talks have been conversational rather than adversarial, and positive in tone," O'Connor said. "However, we are a ways from being finished."

E-mail Janny Hu at jhu@sfchronicle.com.

Robobtowncolt
08-02-2007, 10:00 AM
$

spreedom
08-02-2007, 10:02 AM
He's become nothing more than a perimeter shooter, which seems to make a lot of sense in Nellie's system, which focuses on a lot of slashing.. he'll help spread the floor for the Warriors.

The signing is a good one if he was cheap, but if they threw a big portion of the midlevel at him (note: meaning that they didn't use it on Pietrus or Barnes) then they just wasted their money, because Cro isn't nearly the player he used to be. At this point, I think he's a great signing as a 10th or 11th man for around the vet minimum.

Ragnar
08-02-2007, 10:04 AM
I was sure he would wind up back here.

I am with you on this one UB I dont see Cro working in GS.

spreedom he is shooting from the perimeter but that is not his strength.

Kegboy
08-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Another reason for all you nouveau riche Warrior fans to get excited.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/02/SP8KRBF5C1.DTL

Croshere might join team

Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer (jhu@sfchronicle.com)
Thursday, August 2, 2007

While the Warriors won't be getting dream acquisition Kevin Garnett, they appear ready to make their first dent in free agency. Golden State has been in talks with forward Austin Croshere, according to a league source, and is close to signing the 10-year veteran.

The 6-foot-10 Croshere averaged 3.7 points and 3.0 rebounds in 11.9 minutes for Dallas last season after spending his first nine years in Indiana. He would give the Warriors some depth with the fate of their own free agents, Matt Barnes and Mickael Pietrus, still to be decided.

Negotiations to keep Barnes in Oakland will start over this week with Aaron Goodwin after Barnes switched agents for the second time in two months.

Barnes filed paperwork to terminate short-lived agent Dan Fegan two weeks ago, league sources said. The Bay Area-based Goodwin, who also reps top draft picks Kevin Durant and Al Horford, is expected to seek a multiyear deal from the Warriors.

Nelson update: John O'Connor, the representative for coach Don Nelson, met with Warriors team president Robert Rowell over lunch in Oakland on Tuesday to continue renegotiating Nelson's contact. Nelson is due $3.1 million in each of the next two seasons, but is seeking to have up to an additional $3 million in annual bonus money guaranteed. "Our talks have been conversational rather than adversarial, and positive in tone," O'Connor said. "However, we are a ways from being finished."
E-mail Janny Hu at jhu@sfchronicle.com (jhu@sfchronicle.com).

Kegboy
08-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Damn it! When am I ever going to learn to hit the refresh button.

:banghead: :loser2:

Kegboy
08-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Explain it to me

Mully and Cro are BFFs from their Pacer days?

RWB
08-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Don't forget, Austin is a California guy.

indyblue47
08-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Kegboy said

Damn it! When am I ever going to learn to hit the refresh button.

I just pasted that article in word, and jumped over here.Too late!!:confused:

That brings up a question. How can I go completely out of PD, come back in later, and still have to refresh?? :(

Jose Slaughter
08-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Kinda surprised he didn't go to Boston.

Haggard
08-02-2007, 10:33 AM
This prooves to me that Cro shouldn't have been on the Pacers squad for nine seasons. He will spend his remaining years drifting from roster to roster sitting at the bottom of the bench.

Anthem
08-02-2007, 11:28 AM
This prooves to me that Cro shouldn't have been on the Pacers squad for nine seasons. He will spend his remaining years drifting from roster to roster sitting at the bottom of the bench.
Exactly right.

Good thing we got Murphy to fill his role.

Shade
08-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Exactly right.

Good thing we got Murphy to fill his role.

And at a higher price to boot! :yay2:

CableKC
08-02-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm guessing that Croshere is good at doing what every other Warrior not named Ellis, Baron or AB does.....wait outside at the 3pt arc for the ball to hit an open 3pt shot. :shrug:

bulldog
08-02-2007, 12:24 PM

Agreed. Is it just me or does GS have approximately 12 guys they plan to find time to play?

I would think that if you're a slow, aging shooter gunning for a championship then playing alongside KG would be the perfect fit.

Must be the money.

Los Angeles
08-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Since 05/06, I've just assumed that he didn't get along with Jack. That's the most confusing part of this story.

Robobtowncolt
08-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Since 05/06, I've just assumed that he didn't get along with Jack. That's the most confusing part of this story.

$

RWB
08-02-2007, 01:21 PM

I think Cro is just keeping it real.

eldubious
08-02-2007, 02:12 PM
The Golden State Pacers are one player away, cough...cough...JO.

Naptown_Seth
08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Man, he's no Barnes replacement. I mean didn't Nellie work hard to get Troy Murphy off his roster, now he wants him back? Slow, weak defending arc campers with a sorta jab-step drive move that can hustle their way into more boards than their soft play would lead you to believe. Apart from AC being a bit more tenacious and Troy being a better 3pt guy, they aren't far apart.

I would love to see Matt Barnes with the Pacers, but obviously there is no shot of that happening. He can hit the 3 too but in the meantime he's a quick, agressive defending jumping jack with plenty of poise. Nah, we'll take Croshere instead. What, did they have a spare 44 Warriors jersey just laying around collecting dust? Makes zero sense, Mully, money or otherwise.

sixthman
08-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Wish Cro the best of luck; I'm sure GS picked him up because he is a good guy in the locker room. :)

immortality
08-02-2007, 05:50 PM
I was kind of expecting him to come back to the pacers for the veterans minimum, he could have been that missing PF everyone is talking about. Ohz wellz.

JayRedd
08-02-2007, 05:56 PM
The Golden State Pacers are one player away, cough...cough...JO.

Biedrins, Monta and salary filler would make my day.

Evan_The_Dude
08-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I swear, has any team had more Indiana connections than Golden State over the last decade?

ABADays
08-02-2007, 10:09 PM
I guess I must just be a loser. I don't understand all the snide and critical remarks about a guy who gave it everything he had here. It just amazes me.

JayRedd
08-02-2007, 10:57 PM
I guess I must just be a loser. I don't understand all the snide and critical remarks about a guy who gave it everything he had here. It just amazes me.

Agreed.

Not Austin's fault Donnie gave him a ridiculous deal for playing a dozen good playoff games.

Anthem
08-02-2007, 11:15 PM
You mean the guy who went through a 7-year "monopoly money" (his words) contract without trying to improve his game in the meantime? The guy who was the team's third most expensive player but frequently wasn't better than a third-stringer?

Why would that bother people?

Kegboy
08-02-2007, 11:21 PM
You mean the guy who went through a 7-year "monopoly money" (his words) contract without trying to improve his game in the meantime? The guy who was the team's third most expensive player but frequently wasn't better than a third-stringer?

Hey now, he added a mid-range jumper in '05. Of course, I think he forgot it after his concussion two months in. :shrug:

eldubious
08-03-2007, 12:18 AM

Guess who the filler would be, Al "Not Again" Harrington.

Hicks
08-03-2007, 12:21 AM

Right there with you.

JayRedd
08-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Guess who the filler would be, Al "Not Again" Harrington.

Works for me. He can be our Billy Martin.

BostonConnection
08-03-2007, 01:15 AM

I'm not really. Of the 3 main bench needs the Celts have (a veteran PG to backup Rondo, a veteran PF/C with good defense and rebounding capabilities to spell Perkins, a swingman G/F for insurance in case Tony Allen can't come back from the knee injury), Cro doesn't really seem to fit the bill. Boston just signed Eddie House, so they've now got a bench guy who can shoot 3's (at a much higher % than Austin does).

The Celts already have a "Cro" on his lineup, they just call him "Brian Scalabrine" instead... :laugh:

DrBadd01
08-03-2007, 01:23 AM

JO for Ellis, Biedrins, Saras :), and Foyle works as well

Alpolloloco
08-03-2007, 04:17 AM
JO for Ellis, Biedrins, Saras :), and Foyle works as well

Switch Ellis and Biedrins to Pietrus and Wright and it works for me too!

And I'm with all the "losers" who think Austin was a class player for us, one of my favourites of the last 10 years.

Good luck to him in Cisco!

Robobtowncolt
08-03-2007, 09:33 AM

No idea.

Hicks
08-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Wait, since Croshere's game didn't improve, you just, what, magically know he didn't even try to? Keep in mind he was paid like a young up-and-coming PF. That doesn't mean that he was. Croshere was what he was, and we mistakenly overpaid him thinking he was going to be much more. This is just another roundabout way of complaining about the money.

ChicagoJ
08-03-2007, 11:11 AM
He showed during the 2000 Finals/ playoffs that was going to be a solid performer at PF. Its not like we gave him "max" money.

Then we traded for a future all star right after we matched Houston's and Chicago's contract offers for Croshere. In hindsight, yes, we should have let him walk. But we didn't know that we'd fleece the TrailBlazers a month later.

Naptown_Seth
08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Works for me. He can be our Billy Martin.
But Billy Martin was a maniacal genius, not a whiney outside shooting soft PF.

Seriously I'd rather Ron Artest be our Billy Martin, if only you could dump Ron at the drop of a hat like Billy got. Al is fun and enjoyable when that's the situation, but he hasn't proven himself as a "going gets tough" type of player.

ABA-Mal, look, Croshere was a good guy and certainly a hard-working Pacer. If you ask me if I'd trade Troy for him right now then I'd say yes in a heartbeat. But he was overpaid and the flaws in his game were real.

What, if we mention Bender no one can say "yeah if you want a guy that's hurt all the time" without it being a snide remark?

JayRedd
08-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Wait, since Croshere's game didn't improve, you just, what, magically know he didn't even try to?

Seriously.

The problem was just that he wasn't that good. He had a good dozen or so playoff games at the right time, and Donnie seemingly became convinced he was going to become something he wasn't. His per-40 minutes never really changed much, so it's not like he got a lot worse or started lollygagging all the time. He just had a limited skill set and couldn't ever stay on the court more than 20-25 mpg. And that wasn't something that taking 100,000 offseason jumpers or extensive ball-handling drills was going to change.

8.9_seconds
08-03-2007, 02:11 PM
<----------------------------:sigh:

Mood: Missing Austin Depressed Feelings Again

Potential Mood: :love: ABA Days and Mal

ABADays
08-03-2007, 03:44 PM
<----------------------------:sigh:

Mood: Missing Austin Depressed Feelings Again

Potential Mood: :love: ABA Days and Mal

Naw - not really. I guess I'm old school and respect professionalism.

Arcadian
08-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I'll always remember Austin as a mediocre player who was paid too much. In this league that's a dime a dozen, or in this case 15 cents a dozen.

Gyron
08-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Right there with you.

Count me in with you guys. I alwyas liked Croshere.

avoidingtheclowns
08-03-2007, 04:43 PM
i'm a bit impartial... always liked austin since his senior year at providence. when i was in 7th grade, i played in a basketball tourney @ stanley clark in south bend. we ended up staying in the same hotel as the providence team that was playing notre dame the next day. getting to meet austin (and god shamgod if anyone remembers him...) was cool but i didn't know who the hell either of them were really. it was right before they went on that great run in the tourney that march was great and i've been an austin fan since. i thought the pacers overpaid him but i never felt it was terrible. i always felt he was a solid somewhat overpaid roleplayer who played with a lot of heart.

Anthem
08-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Wait, since Croshere's game didn't improve, you just, what, magically know he didn't even try to?
Yeah, that's a pretty good guess.

He went 7 years without adding a post move. Without adding any ability to handle the ball. Heck, even his shooting percentages have gone down. That's not the portrait of a guy who's trying to improve his game.

If he was so bad to begin with, it should have been easy for him to add something. Anything. A jump hook, a drop step, a turnaround jumper, anything.