PDA

View Full Version : Eddie House a Celtic

Slick Pinkham
08-01-2007, 05:32 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/celtics/?p=121

August 1st, 2007
Celts sign Eddie House
Posted by Mark Murphy at 4:08 pm

The Celtics signed free agent guard Eddie House this afternoon to a one-year deal, apparently solving their need for a veteran backup to point guard Rajon Rondo.

In truth the 6-1 House, who averaged 8.4 points in 56 games for the Nets last year, is more of a shooter than a playmaker, which is indeed part of why Danny Ainge was attracted to him. On the positive side House shot .429 from 3-point range last season, and has indeed sunk the Celtics many times over the years from behind the circle.

On the other, he shot worse (.428) overall last season.

But House is not the only player who figures to fill in behind Rondo this season. Tony Allen, and even Ray Allen, have been discussed as point guard possibilities, in addition to rookie Gabe Pruitt out of USC.

The Celtics also signed Jackie Manuel, a 6-5 wing player who played for Los Angeles in the NBDL last season, and is considered a solid defensive player. He was named the ACC’s defensive player of the year two seasons ago while at North Carolina.

Next up in the free agent market is a big man. PJ Brown, the 37-year-old power forward who is reportedly seeking the full mid-level exception ($5.6 million) for his services, has probably priced himself out of the Celtics’ range.

The team is currently checking into the market for Dikembe Mutombo, who could fill in nicely as a backup behind Kendrick Perkins. Mutombo is currently in Africa, where he is on his annual mission at the head of the NBA’s Basketball Without Borders program.

----------

PJ Brown wants the full MLE?

:crazy:

idioteque
08-01-2007, 05:56 PM
It looks like the C's, instead of having an absolutely woeful bench, will at least have a marginal bench that is comparable to the Lakers' championship teams.

Young
08-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Eddie House solves the Celtics need for a veteran backup point guard? Lol. No he doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind House. He is a good shooter and is pretty quick. Not much of a point guard though. I guess atleast he can score and they will have other opitions besides the big 3.

Rumors are that the Celtics are also interested in Dikembe Mutombo. He would be a nice mentor for Kendrick Perkins. Certainly would need one more big though IMO. A very interesting rumor has Ryan Gomes being cut by the Timberwolves and picked up by the Celtics. Sort of doubt that as I don't think Gomes would have been included in the trade if this were going to happen.

LG33
08-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Too bad Alonzo decided to go back to Miami. Dude should have waited...

Evan_The_Dude
08-01-2007, 07:07 PM
I've never seen Eddie House do anything but straighten his headband and launch three's. They would have been just as well off signing Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf to be Rondo's veteran backup.

rexnom
08-01-2007, 07:08 PM
It's a good signing but do they really need another perimeter scorer? They already have three of the best at their respective positions...Why aren't they going after Brevin Knight?

gph
08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
I actually thought they would go for bench scoring by going after boykins and defense by grabbing ruben patterson. patterson would occasionallly play some 4 as well as three, so minus the whole sex offender thing, would be a nice pick up.

i can see going for house for distance over a more expensive boykins who would mostly drive. but...why get jackie manuel? really?

i would be going after patterson, udoka, mutombo in that order.

BlueNGold
08-01-2007, 09:29 PM
You can never have too many great shooters on a team. You can always get some punk who can play D. House is a good pickup. The rich get richer here.

Kstat
08-01-2007, 10:33 PM
It's a good signing but do they really need another perimeter scorer? They already have three of the best at their respective positions...Why aren't they going after Brevin Knight?

I'm guessing they only want minimum-salary players from here on out. Brevin Knight would command half the MLE at least.

DisplacedKnick
08-01-2007, 10:37 PM
The Celtics don't NEED a real PG. Pierce, KG and Allen have all averaged over 5 assists per game at some point in the season. Any of them can initiate the offense depending on what set they want to use - and I'd sure plan on having sets where any of them do, depending on matchups. If they have a guy who can get it over halfcourt and play defense they'll be fine. Once the ball's in the FC whoever the PG is will never see the ball again unless he's wide open for a shot.

edit: Remember the DW/IT dream of a few years back of interchangeable parts? Well this is the dream - Allen can play the 1 or the 2, Pierce the 2 or the 3, KG the 3, 4, or 5. The hardest part will be keeping things from being TOO fluid - where players get cinfused about their roles.

AesopRockOn
08-01-2007, 10:44 PM
You can never have too many great shooters on a team. You can always get some punk who can play D. House is a good pickup. The rich get richer here.

I thought Manuel was one of the no-BS guys to come out of the program. Did I miss something?:confused:

MagicRat
08-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I like Eddie House even more after reading :07 Seconds or Less. Edward Shooter Hands is a pretty funny dude.

From the list of main characters:

Eddie House - #50, guard, newcomer;never stops talking and never stops shooting; key for positive team chemistry, though struggled late in the season.

denyfizle
08-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Mutombo would be a great fit for them!

JayRedd
08-01-2007, 11:06 PM
It looks like the C's, instead of having an absolutely woeful bench, will at least have a marginal bench that is comparable to the Lakers' championship teams.

Agreed.

I keep hearing the Cs have no "real" shot because of there bench.

I think they can easily be nearly as good as the Lakers post-Glen Rice/Ron Harper. No, there weren't any big-time left after Rice and Harper, but they had a ton of really savvy, veteran help, each of which were pretty good in at least one area. And they had some young guys that fit in with the program and played well.

Here are the other players that played over 100 Playoff minutes on those Title squads.

99-00 -- Glen Rice, Ron Harper, Bob Horry, Brian Shaw, Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, AC Green
01-02 -- Fisher, Fox, Horace Grant, Bob Horry, Shaw, Tyronne Lue
02-03 -- Fisher, Fox, Devean George, Horry, Samaki Walker, Shaw, Lindsay Hunter

After the 1999-2000 team, none of those are any Dream Team, but they were all servicable guys that Shaq, Kobe and Phil trusted, and they all played their role. Add that to Shaq/Kobe playing 80-85 minutes per night, and you really don't need that much more.

Fact is, once you get to the Playoffs, you don't need a lot of guys. You just need the right 3-4 to go with your studs. Bench is more key during the season when injuries occur and players get burnt out on back-to-backs.

And the Celtics will need even less. There are 240 minutes played in a game if you add up all the minutes for the 5 positions. KG, Paul and Ray Ray will play at least 120 of those in most playoff games (assuming no injuries and no major foul trouble, which is rarely a problem for Paul and Ray, and also not usually a problem for Garnett either).

Presumably, Rondo/Perkins can each play at least 20 mpg in the Playoffs, and probably closer to a combined 50-55 without much issue. So Doc/Ainge just need to find 3-4 other guys that can average a servicable 18 - 22 minutes per night.

I'm not sure Eddie House is one of those guys (seems like more of a regular season guy to me), but I have to believe that either one/two of the guys we don't know about on their roster already (Big Baby/Powe) or someone through free agency combined with Tony Allen and Scalabrine will be enough to at least get them to a hard-fought ECF.

Anthem
08-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Best Eddie House story ever. This is all from memory, so some parts might be slightly off.

His rookie year, he was a fan favorite but Riley kept him glued to the bench. People in Miami started wearing shirts that said "FEH" (short for "Free Eddie House"). Riley wouldn't play him. Then Riles' daughter bought one of the shirts and started wearing it around. One day Riles is in a press conference and one of the reporters asks about his response to the "Free Eddie House" craze. And Riles says "What craze?" And the reporter says "You know, all the people wearing FEH shirts! And Riles says "Hey, my daughter wears that shirt all the time!"

Did I get that right?

ToTheAtom
08-01-2007, 11:26 PM
I like Eddie House even more after reading :07 Seconds or Less. Edward Shooter Hands is a pretty funny dude.

From the list of main characters:

Eddie House - #50, guard, newcomer;never talks talking and never stops shooting; key for positive team chemistry, though struggled late in the season.

That's a great book! Eddie House does come across as a good locker room guy.

rexnom
08-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Best Eddie House story ever. This is all from memory, so some parts might be slightly off.

His rookie year, he was a fan favorite but Riley kept him glued to the bench. People in Miami started wearing shirts that said "FEH" (short for "Free Eddie House"). Riley wouldn't play him. Then Riles' daughter bought one of the shirts and started wearing it around. One day Riles is in a press conference and one of the reporters asks about his response to the "Free Eddie House" craze. And Riles says "What craze?" And the reporter says "You know, all the people wearing FEH shirts! And Riles says "Hey, my daughter wears that shirt all the time!"

Did I get that right?
Oh my god, I certainly hope so.

LG33
08-01-2007, 11:33 PM
All good stories end with "Did I get that right?" :)

BostonConnection
08-03-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm guessing they only want minimum-salary players from here on out. Brevin Knight would command half the MLE at least.

That would be my guess, the Celts are looking to use their bench dollars frugally after splurging on KG and Allen. Knight would've been a nice pickup though, non-moneywise.

BlueNGold
08-04-2007, 09:57 AM
I thought Manuel was one of the no-BS guys to come out of the program. Did I miss something?:confused:

The point is, players that can defend adequately are a dime a dozen. Not saying D is not important...just that there are far fewer players who can drain the 3 and defend adequately compared to the larger number of good defenders who cannot shoot with consistency.

Yes, I have always liked Eddie House. I have seen him play a number of times, and I've always been impressed by his shooting. The Nets are a well run organization and it's no surprise he is now a Net.

Don't know much about Jackie...so no comment on him.

spreedom
08-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Yes, I have always liked Eddie House. I have seen him play a number of times, and I've always been impressed by his shooting. The Nets are a well run organization and it's no surprise he is now a Net.

..he's not a Net anymore...

LG33
08-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Scot Pollard signed by the Celtics!
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47515/20070807/celtics_sign_pollard/