PDA

View Full Version : SI: The list of contenders in wide-open East (Burns)

avoidingtheclowns
08-01-2007, 04:08 PM
There for the taking

Add Boston to the list of contenders in wide-open East

With the arrival of Kevin Garnett in a blockbuster trade, Boston is back on the NBA map. More important, the Celtics suddenly look like prime contenders in the Eastern Conference. Depending on how quickly Boston can mesh the All-Star talents of Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen -- and restock its depleted bench -- it should be right at the top in a so-so East field that lacks a clear front-runner.

Things could change in the coming weeks, but the East right now looks as wide open as it has in recent memory. Boston's acquisition of KG makes it at least eight teams (Cavs, Pistons, Bulls, Celtics, Heat, Nets, Wizards and Raptors) that have a roughly equal shot to reach the Finals. More so than ever, it will probably come down to injuries.

Here's one man's view of the East race, as of right now:

1. CAVS: Let's give the defending champs their due and list them as the early favorites. But their grip is tenuous, at best. LeBron James & Co. have made no significant additions to their roster this summer. Even if they re-sign restricted free agents Anderson Varejao and Sasha Pavlovic, they could easily be leapfrogged by one of the many contenders hot on their heels.

2. PISTONS: Yes, they have wilted in the last two postseasons, but with four All-Star-caliber players in Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince and Rasheed Wallace, they have to be ranked near the top. They also have added first-round picks Rodney Stuckey and Arron Afflalo and re-signed 20-year-old forward Amir Johnson, a 2005 second-round selection who could join the rotation next season. Still they seem to be dealing with complacency among some stars, as well as perhaps some lingering tension with coach Flip Saunders.

3. CELTICS: It's tempting to get caught up in the hype and predict another banner in Beantown. Garnett, Pierce and Allen are all still in their prime and hungry to win a title. If they stay healthy, they should be right there. But it usually takes at least a season for teams to develop chemistry, especially on the defensive end. Plus, the Celtics are still unproven at the all-important positions of point guard (Rajon Rondo) and center (Kendrick Perkins).

4. BULLS: Don't count these guys out. While other top East teams have more star power, coach Scott Skiles' crew gets it done with hustle and teamwork. They still need a low-post scorer (Joe Smith won't solve that problem), but Chicago defends and plays with uncommon precision on offense. If Luol Deng continues his emergence as an All-Star talent, and Tyrus Thomas takes another step forward, the Bulls could surprise.

5. RAPTORS: Like the Bulls, they're easy to overlook because of the relative lack of big names. But they return all the key pieces from a team that won 47 games (fourth best in the East) and came on strong down the stretch. Unlike Chicago, they have an All-Star big man in Chris Bosh. Toronto still needs to improve its defense, but it might be able to take a step forward in that area with another season playing together.

6. HEAT: Was last year's dismal, injury-ravaged campaign a fluke or a sign they're just too old? For now, we'll say it was an aberration and that a healthy Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O'Neal are good enough to keep the Heat in contention. There is also a chance they could make a trade for Ron Artest or some other veteran. But Jason Williams is going to have to enjoy a bounce-back season (Smush Parker was signed to provide competition at point guard), and the loss of sharpshooter Jason Kapono could hurt more than they think.

7. WIZARDS: Before Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler went down with season-ending injuries, they were right at the top of last season's East standings. With both players expected back at full strength, joining Antawn Jamison, Washington is one of the few teams that can match Boston's three-pronged attack. But the Wizards are still paper-thin in the middle, and it remains to be seen whether they can score enough to overcome their lack of D.

8. NETS: Like the Celtics and Wizards, they have a star trio of their own in Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson. They also should benefit next season from center Nenad Krstic'sreturn from knee surgery. Still, there is something about this team that screams out for a need for change.

9. MAGIC: They added the biggest catch on this year's free-agent market in sharpshooting forward Rashard Lewis. He should join with Dwight Howard to form a potent frontcourt in Orlando for years to come. But the Magic are still too young at the point, and they might miss the leadership of Grant Hill, who bolted for Phoenix.

10. KNICKS: With Zach Randolph joining Eddy Curry, Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford, they certainly have the firepower to match up with any team. The big question will be whether they can play together -- especially on the defensive end -- and whether Randolph can stay focused amid all the distractions in Gotham.

11. BUCKS: They would have been a playoff contender a year ago were it not for a slew of injuries that knocked out Michael Redd, Charlie Villanueva, BobbySimmons and Andrew Bogut, among others. With Mo Williams back in the fold, and Desmond Mason reacquired via free agency, they should bounce back. But can they stop anybody defensively?

12. BOBCATS: Jason Richardson joins a promising young core that includes Gerald Wallace, Emeka Okafor and Raymond Felton. It should make the 'Cats fun to watch, at least. Unfortunately, they are still too young and clueless defensively to make a big move in the standings next season.

13. HAWKS: So much for their fans' hopes of making a big splash this summer. Al Horford and Acie Law are decent prospects, but neither is likely to come in and make a big impact right away. It means another season of slow growth for Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams.

14. PACERS: They accomplished their goal of cleaning house and ridding themselves of distractions. Now, they just have to find a way to restock the roster. Jermaine O'Neal, Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy and Danny Granger aren't enough to get it done. It might be time to trade O'Neal and start a real rebuilding program.

15: SIXERS: Led by their two Andres (Iguodala, Miller), they showed signs late last season, while playing with a renewed spirit and energy. But they haven't made any significant additions to the roster while losing a key veteran in Joe Smith.

LINK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marty_burns/08/01/east.rankings/index.html)

31andonly
08-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Wow, we're 14th in the East... :(

LoneGranger33
08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
The Hawks!? Oh lord, how we've sunk...

I think we're looking at 3 or less nationally-televised games this season.

Los Angeles
08-01-2007, 04:16 PM
We've gone from consistently over-rated in the off season to under-rated. Wrong is wrong either way.

Robobtowncolt
08-01-2007, 04:19 PM
That's about 3 spots higher than I would rank us.

Aw Heck
08-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Below the Hawks and the Bobcats? Well, you know you've sunk pretty low when you hit that level.

I don't think the Pacers are that bad. I certainly don't think they're a playoff team (8th seed at best), but I don't think they're as bad as this list makes them out to be.

BobbyMac
08-01-2007, 04:22 PM
We should be a bout 5th....this is down right funny.

31andonly
08-01-2007, 04:32 PM
When I take a second look at the list, I would rank us one spot higher..or two, not more.
We're better than the Hawks and maybe the Bucks!

OMG, what happened to my team.. :cry:

Dr. Goldfoot
08-01-2007, 04:36 PM
While I don't like to think the team I root for is the second worst in the East, I can see where this guy's coming from. I think listing the Pacers as high as 5 would be a joke though. There's been too much turmoil of late to think the Pacers are still in the upper 3rd of the league. I think they're somewhere in the middle, pretty much where they ended up last season.....could make the playoffs or could be a lottery team, depending on health and player growth.

avoidingtheclowns
08-01-2007, 04:37 PM
When I take a second look at the list, I would rank us one spot higher..or two, not more.
We're better than the Hawks and maybe the Bucks!

OMG, what happened to my team.. :cry:

i agree. but really if we're on the outside of the playoffs, does it genuinely matter whether we're better than both atlanta and philly or just one?

i also think he really overrated the heat and underrated the magic. i'd put the magic at #7 and the heat at #9

DisplacedKnick
You finished last season 6-23. That tends to turn people off when looking ahead to the following year.

This is the first time I've seen the conference spelled out like this. My biggest impression is how much stronger the East looks than it did just a couple of years ago. Nobody can realistically say they're better than 4th if they played in the WC but it also wouldn't shock me if the EC 8th seed is better than the WC's 8th this season.

pianoman
this is insane. People are judging us by last year. Look at what this year has in store for us: 3 young talents that could contribute about 35 ppg together at least. JO still will be a dominant big if he is healthy, Dunleavy will be better so will murphy, 2 good shooters in Rush and Denier, plus a big key player in Marquise. I would put us as an easy 7 place. Now, let the criticism roll.

Bynum Brigade
08-01-2007, 04:39 PM
I can honestly put you guys one place higher at 13.

avoidingtheclowns
08-01-2007, 04:46 PM
this is insane. People are judging us by last year. Look at what this year has in store for us: 3 young talents that could contribute about 35 ppg together at least. JO still will be a dominant big if he is healthy, Dunleavy will be better so will murphy, 2 good shooters in Rush and Denier, plus a big key player in Marquise. I would put us as an easy 6 place. Now, let the criticism roll.

just about anything can happen, sure.

hopefully we'll be healthy, jermaine (if still here) will have a career year and remain healthy. quis will play a full season as will jamaal. JO'Bs style will make murphy into someone meriting "comeback player" award discussion. granger will make the allstar team. we all hope for that.

but when you compare the injury history of our squad, the lack of truly great 3pt shooters, and how other teams will also be getting healthy and adding new pieces (like coaches and players) this ranking might not be too far off. magic added SVG, lewis and have dwight turning into a big star. the bobcats are bringing back gerald, carroll and traded for jrich plus a new coach. the nets will bring carter back with krstic returning to kidd and jefferson. boston added allen and garnett. hawks added two nice prospects and josh and joe will only get better. the bucks were plagued with injuries last season, if they get healthy they could be a playoff contender. detroit has added depth. chicago has added a little more offense than pj with joe smith and another energy prospect in noah. cleveland has stood pat (probably will re-sign their FAs). new york added zach and a couple of prospects (who knows if it'll work but it could).

a lot of teams in the east have made moves and so i don't think projecting the pacers as playoff material is all that accurate, sure could happen but unlikely at the moment.

travmil
08-01-2007, 04:47 PM

5th? Based on what? We're not better than any of the teams that made the playoffs ahead of us last year. I would put us above the Hawks and Bobcats, but honestly they have us ranked about right. I can't even imagine the kind of 'nads it takes to think we're even a playoff team let alone 5th.

pacerfreak
08-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Put us below the Sixers, maybe it will motivate our players. I like being the underdog. Bring it on! It's anybody's guess as to how good, (or bad), the Pacers will be this year. As for me, I'm hoping for the best, expecting the worse.;)

Slick Pinkham
08-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I bet Sixers fans are really ticked off to be predicted to finish below the PACERS.

If we finish below the Knicks, then it might be time to look for a bridge to jump from.

JayRedd
08-01-2007, 05:25 PM
We're clearly a lot worse than New York.

Slick Pinkham
08-01-2007, 05:27 PM
We're clearly a lot worse than New York.

I think about their coaching situation and then it occurs to me that we have a decent chance of being better than them. Not good, but not THAT bad.

DisplacedKnick
08-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I think about their coaching situation and then it occurs to me that we have a decent chance of being better than them. Not good, but not THAT bad.

I don't disagree. We have a lot of talent but it's all mismatched - we don't have a team.

I will say this for Isiah - when Dolan finally gets over his man-crush and fires him, there are a lot of nice pieces for a GM who knows what he's doing to put together a good team with.

I had us pegged for about 8th but Boston just leapfrogged us so I guess that makes us 9th. Too early for me to really buckle down and figure out my predictions though.

Fireball Kid
08-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Explain.

Pacers#1Fan
08-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Everyone that thinks Diener and Rush are going to be our saviors needs to look at this and get a little reality check.

pwee31
08-01-2007, 06:32 PM
The more I sit and let the end of last season get further away from my mind, the more optimistic I get. I was one of those guys that felt the coaching staff was the problem last year. Carlisle was too x's and o's, never really showed passion or emotion, and didn't see to have control of the team. Chuck Person was the defensive coach and there was a reason he was called the Rifleman instead of the Stop Sign.

We now have a REAL defense coach in Harter and a head coach in O'Brien who has gotten the best out of his players, so I think we're already better.

I think Diener is a better backup PG then DA or Mcleod. I believe Rush will surprise A LOT of people. Quis who was coming into his own should be back healthy. That's like 3 key acquisitions. JO is going to be JO, Foster is gonna do what he does.

And then it comes down to if O'Brien can get the best out of our players, like he did out of his Philly and Boston teams. If he can do that.... we'll be a really good team.

We all feel that Danny, Shawne, and Ike are the future.. if he can get them to a new level... LOOK OUT! Dunleavy and Murphy are still pretty young with potential to tap in my eyes, with confidence, playing time, and being comfy with the new style and team, knowing they will be on the floor with others pulling for them.... LOOK OUT!

Then there's MEL MEL. I think a lot of us have grown tired of his antics, but that will quickly be erased if the off court actions improve, and the PG that we all hoped and thought you could be, is brought out by this style and coaching staff.

Let all the media and other fans dog us, and put us down, even let some of the Pacer fans who are down on the team doubt us. But if you have the slightest bit of sunshine left... keep it, b/c this team isn't as bad as they may seem.

I'm sure there were jazz and raptors fans who weren't the least bit surprised when there teams came around last year.

Mourning
08-01-2007, 06:59 PM
I bet Sixers fans are really ticked off to be predicted to finish below the PACERS.

If we finish below the Knicks, then it might be time to look for a bridge to jump from.

:amen:

But, hey nothing wrong going on in Indy... we are just going to make the play-offs and upset our opponent in our series :rolleyes: :sarcasm:.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Mourning
08-01-2007, 07:05 PM
The more I sit and let the end of last season get further away from my mind, the more optimistic I get. I was one of those guys that felt the coaching staff was the problem last year. Carlisle was too x's and o's, never really showed passion or emotion, and didn't see to have control of the team. Chuck Person was the defensive coach and there was a reason he was called the Rifleman instead of the Stop Sign.

We now have a REAL defense coach in Harter and a head coach in O'Brien who has gotten the best out of his players, so I think we're already better.

I think Diener is a better backup PG then DA or Mcleod. I believe Rush will surprise A LOT of people. Quis who was coming into his own should be back healthy. That's like 3 key acquisitions. JO is going to be JO, Foster is gonna do what he does.

And then it comes down to if O'Brien can get the best out of our players, like he did out of his Philly and Boston teams. If he can do that.... we'll be a really good team.

We all feel that Danny, Shawne, and Ike are the future.. if he can get them to a new level... LOOK OUT! Dunleavy and Murphy are still pretty young with potential to tap in my eyes, with confidence, playing time, and being comfy with the new style and team, knowing they will be on the floor with others pulling for them.... LOOK OUT!

Then there's MEL MEL. I think a lot of us have grown tired of his antics, but that will quickly be erased if the off court actions improve, and the PG that we all hoped and thought you could be, is brought out by this style and coaching staff.

Let all the media and other fans dog us, and put us down, even let some of the Pacer fans who are down on the team doubt us. But if you have the slightest bit of sunshine left... keep it, b/c this team isn't as bad as they may seem.

I'm sure there were jazz and raptors fans who weren't the least bit surprised when there teams came around last year.

Dude, let's talk about injuries the past three years... Mel Mel, JO, David, Daniels just to mention some... ALL. STILL. HERE. You're betting on the new coaching stuff and the young players developing, not on our "veterans" getting better. Besides, some of those young players ... where are they going to get the minutes from, except when a "veteran" is injured?

I don't think we will end up 15th. Our teams experience and maybe a boost from the coaching stuff will lit us up a bit. I, at best, see us as a 7th seed. Probably end up like 10th/11nd.

Regards,

rexnom
08-01-2007, 07:07 PM
If we judge this solely based on the end of last season...are we really better than the Sixers?

Shade
08-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Yes! #14! Suck it, Philly! :devil:

ajbry
08-01-2007, 09:11 PM
The Sixers looked pretty damn solid once they got rid of Iverson and let the other A.I. (along with Dre) run the show.

I never thought this generation of the Indiana Pacers would be ranked #14. It obviously doesn't mean **** as this team could miraculously gel and talent would spill from new sources but I think most of us are acutely aware the chances of that happening are slim. Even so, without this article, we simply know that at this point we're on the outside looking in in regards to the 2007-08 playoffs. We may be #9 right now or we may be #15. It's too early to tell, but anyone who wants to claim we're a playoff-caliber team at this very moment needs to come to grips that our last acquisitions are Kareem Rush and Travis Diener - and that Mike Dunleavy, Jr. might be in the starting lineup.

Pacersin2033
08-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I have no clue what this guy is talking about cleaned house WHAT. That was just a bad excuse, if we were cleaning house Daniels and Tinsley would be gone.

Although he may have something with being 14th in the East, Yeah JO sure is good, worth those 20 million we are giving him. Not liek Reggie could take AJ, Stephen Jackson, Austin Croshere, and Jeff Foster and make the postseason. At 39 no less.

Shade
08-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Here's where I would rate things right now:

1) Celtics - The East blows. They have as good a shot as anyone, and the best 3-man combo in the league.

2) Bulls - I think the growing pains are going to subside this season, and the Baby Bulls will make a run...despite drafting Noah. :tongue:

3) Cavs - Gotta give the defending conference champs some credit. They seem to have the number of...

4) Pistons - That hole in the middle keeps getting larger.

5) Heat - I see one more attempt coming from this bunch, and then it's lights out for a few seasons as Shaq's knees turn to dust.

6) Wizards - Keep Gil's butt on the court and his mouth shut, and they could surprise some people.

7) Nets - No longer the 3-headed monster of the East.

8) Raptors - No more auto-bid for you guys, eh?

9) Pacers - Will battle to the end, but ultimately, fall short.

10) Knicks - Showed what they were (not) made of down the stretch last year, but will win some games solely due to talent.

11) Sixers - Maybe the "Answer" was actually the "Problem" all along.

12) Hawks - Will endure some growing pains, but make the playoffs next season.

13) Magic - Probably got a little better, but so did almost everyone else. And then some.

14) Bobcats - I don't think J-Rich is the answer. Morrison needs to really step up.

15) Bucks - Rhymes with "sucks."

Shade
08-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I have no clue what this guy is talking about cleaned house WHAT. That was just a bad excuse, if we were cleaning house Daniels and Tinsley would be gone.

Although he may have something with being 14th in the East, Yeah JO sure is good, worth those 20 million we are giving him. Not liek Reggie could take AJ, Stephen Jackson, Austin Croshere, and Jeff Foster and make the postseason. At 39 no less.

Hear that "click?" That's the sound of Peck adding you to his ignore list. :-p

maragin
08-01-2007, 09:26 PM
As a lifelong Pacers fan, I can put us no higher than 10th... assuming we stand pat.

I also see a big Cleveland hangover, coming in at around 6th seed followed by a first round playoff exit.

Pacersin2033
08-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Hear that "click?" That's the sound of Peck adding you to his ignore list. :-p

Thats nice of him, not my birthday whats with the present.

LoneGranger33
08-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Magic - Probably got a little better, but so did almost everyone else. And then some.

Why does everyone hate the Magic? Granted, they overpaid for Rashard Lewis, but you gotta figure they'll be in the playoff hunt still no? Oh, I see, you are trying to gauge the loss of Travis Diener. It will hurt them badly, we both know that, but 13? That seems disrespectful. Especially since JJ Redick is going to score 15 points a night.

rexnom
08-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Why does everyone hate the Magic? Granted, they overpaid for Rashard Lewis, but you gotta figure they'll be in the playoff hunt still no? Oh, I see, you are trying to gauge the loss of Travis Diener. It will hurt them badly, we both know that, but 13? That seems disrespectful. Especially since JJ Redick is going to score 15 points a night.
I just wonder if Arroyo and Nelson can fill the gaping hole at PG that T-Die left there. Oh yeah. T-Die.

immortality
08-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Everywhere I read there is barely and mention of the pacers competing in the Eastern Conference this coming season, makes me feel sad, its been awhile since I have seen Sport Writers totally write off the pacers :/

pwee31
08-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Dude, let's talk about injuries the past three years... Mel Mel, JO, David, Daniels just to mention some... ALL. STILL. HERE. You're betting on the new coaching stuff and the young players developing, not on our "veterans" getting better. Besides, some of those young players ... where are they going to get the minutes from, except when a "veteran" is injured?

I don't think we will end up 15th. Our teams experience and maybe a boost from the coaching stuff will lit us up a bit. I, at best, see us as a 7th seed. Probably end up like 10th/11nd.

Regards,

You're right on your points, but I believe we're better served behind those players now. Hulk isn't really a factor in my eyes. Anything positive from him is a bonus. I feel we have a better backup PG then we had last year in Diener. The kid will show he can play.

Once Quis went down, was pretty much when the Pacers went down, and he didn't even see the floor at times. He'll see it now, and if he is hurt, Rush is a guy who can create for himself AND hit the 3, so it won't be that big a drop off.

JO.. what's new about that? Diogu should get some minutes, and Murph should be better under J'OB.

All I'm saying is that our entire team should be better under J'OB. Pretty much every single player should be the same, or improve under this system. I don't see anyone getting worse under this coaching staff. Guess we'll have to wait and see

Shade
08-01-2007, 09:54 PM

Gained - Shard
Lost - Grant Hill

Redick will be out by the end of the season with back problems again.

The Knicks and Hawks both got better in the offseason, and Philly played much better A.I. (after Iverson).

The only reason they even made the playoffs last season is because we decided to spend the last couple months becoming the NBA equivalent of Gigli.

LoneGranger33
08-01-2007, 09:58 PM
You may have misunderstood me. I meant to say: JJ Redick is going to score 15 points one night.

Acie Law and Horford are going to make them competitive? Plus, Dwight Howard is a monster. I mean, really - I'm not sure if he's human.

Shade
08-01-2007, 10:52 PM
You may have misunderstood me. I meant to say: JJ Redick is going to score 15 points one night.

Acie Law and Horford are going to make them competitive? Plus, Dwight Howard is a monster. I mean, really - I'm not sure if he's human.

Touche. :laugh:

The Hawks have been stockpiling some nice chips for a while now, and they (apparently) no longer have a glaring hole in their line-up with the acquisition of Law. I think they'll be decent.

DisplacedKnick
08-01-2007, 10:54 PM
9) Pacers - Will battle to the end, but ultimately, fall short.

10) Knicks - Showed what they were (not) made of down the stretch last year, but will win some games solely due to talent.

I find this funny. We were short two starters and our best reserve the last 25 games of the season (3 starters the last 7) and still finished stronger than the Pacers.

If we fell apart down the stretch then the Pacers must have disassembled at the molecular level.

rexnom
08-01-2007, 11:04 PM
I find this funny. We were short two starters and our best reserve the last 25 games of the season (3 starters the last 7) and still finished stronger than the Pacers.

If we fell apart down the stretch then the Pacers must have disassembled at the molecular level.
That about says it...The 2007 Indiana Pacers...disassembling at the molecular level for a 6-25 end to the season resulting in no playoffs and no pick...

Kegboy
08-02-2007, 09:43 AM

Oh come on Shade, their whole damn team was out with injuries. When we supposedly fell off because we lost our 6th man, what do you say about a team that lost 6 of their top 8?

Shade
08-02-2007, 11:44 AM

I still blame a lot of last season's collapse on (a) Quis going down and (b) Rick losing the team. We don't have to worry about B anymore, so if Quis stays healthy, we should be a decent amount better.

Shade
08-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh come on Shade, their whole damn team was out with injuries. When we supposedly fell off because we lost our 6th man, what do you say about a team that lost 6 of their top 8?

I just don't think the Knicks players mesh too well right now. But we'll see what happens.

Pacersin2033
08-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I just don't think the Knicks players mesh too well right now. But we'll see what happens.

Yeah and ours are out babysitting each others kids while they are at their PO and carpooling to the strip clubs every other night. We are the team that is the cohesive unit.

ajbry
08-02-2007, 12:27 PM

Unfortunately they have two things we don't: confidence and talent.

Robobtowncolt
08-02-2007, 12:30 PM

And now with Randolph, they probably have an ample cache of firearms.

Shade
08-02-2007, 12:45 PM

We've seen firsthand what happens when talent and chemistry are independent of each other.

ajbry
08-02-2007, 12:54 PM

:laugh:

Well played.

JayRedd
08-02-2007, 01:21 PM

We've seen first hand what happens with an ample cache of firearms.

naptownmenace
08-02-2007, 01:43 PM

Regards,

I agree. I'd say 7th would be the highest I'd rank them with 10th being the lowest. I can see them making the playoffs with the current squad or barely missing out.

PR07
08-02-2007, 01:56 PM
We're better than the Hawks, Bobcats, Bucks, and Knicks for sure.

Shade
08-02-2007, 02:34 PM
We've seen first hand what happens with an ample cache of firearms.

Touche. :D

DisplacedKnick
08-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I still blame a lot of last season's collapse on (a) Quis going down and (b) Rick losing the team. We don't have to worry about B anymore, so if Quis stays healthy, we should be a decent amount better.

You can blame the Pacers collapse on anything you want - I just found it funny that you said the Knicks collapse showed what we were made of when we were missing half our team and contrasted that with a Pacers team you said would fight to the end when last year they did everything but that - unless they were in a bar on Lindhurst Ave.

FWIW, even if Crawford, Lee, Q and Marbury didn't go down at the end of the season I don't think we make the playoffs last year - we started the season off poorly, got to about 6 games under .500 and were pretty much a .500 team from that point until the injuries hit. IMO if we'd stayed healthy we'd have won 38 or 39 games, not been a playoff team. That's why I'm picking us for 40-42 wins this year - we got better but so did almost everyone else and it's still a badly unbalanced no-defense team.