PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to read something positive about Troy Murphy

Unclebuck
08-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Many of us, myself included aren't big fans of Troy Murphy, but I found this article from 4 years ago, yes it is 4 years old from the 2003 SI NBA preview issue and I thought it was worth posting here.

__________________________________________________ ______

Considered a tweener when the Warriors drafted him out of ND, Troy Murphy thrived at power forward last year. Here is why

1) Acknowledge your weekness After averaging just 5.9 points and 3.9 rebounds as a 228-pound rookie. Murphyy realized he needed to get bigger and stronger. So in the summer of 2002 Golden State Strength and conditioning coach Mark Grabow put him on a weekday program of weight lifting each morning, basketball skills in the afternon and two nights of interval sprinting. "It was so intense for the first week that after lifting I couldn't raise my arms to put shampoo on my head," Murphy says. Yet he returned everyday. "He would throw up," says Grabow, "and 5 seconds later he'd be back on the court as if nothing had happened."

2) Listen to Talk Radio "I'd turn it on in June and hear people say that we're terrible, or that I wasn't going to play in my second year after I hardly played as a rookie," says Murphy, "I loved it. It got me fired up."

3) Assert Yourself Having packed on 17 pounds of muscle before the start of his second season, Murphy barged into the paint seeking revenge on all the hulks who'd pushed him around. "The first month be got banged up pretty good," Grabow says, "He played one night with a slight concussion." But Murphy proved to have remarkable staying power, starting 79 games and joining Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, JO, and Brain Grant as the only players to average a double double (11.7 pts and 10.2 rebs) last season.

4) Maintain your intensity Murphy was also the only player to improve both his scoring and rebounding by at least 5.0 per game from the previous season. That's because he learned to stay focused on his conditioning and performance. Every day he ate five or six meals that are high in protein and carbs, abstaining from fast food and ice cream. He also watched film with thre assistant coaches to study tendencies, rested on games days and was the first Warrior at the arena.

5) Accept new Challenges In his 15 years with the Warriors, Grabow ranks Muprhy and the maniacal Chris Mullen as his two hardest workers. Realizing that Murphy has a chance to be a special player, coach Musselman asked him last summer to work on extending his shooting range beyond 17 feet. Murphy began shooting 200 to 300 treys daily and before training camp he was knocking down 43 or 50 in drills. "I think he can show as much improvement this year as he showed last year," says Musselman, who envisions Murphy - a No. 14 pick who was expected to be little more than a solid back-up - as a dominating player.

6) Never be satisfied Though he has exceeded expections in all areas, Murphy believes he is only starting to realize his potential. "I'm faster, I'm bigger and my skills are better," says Murphy, who weighs 248 this year. "But I'm sure I'll realize things that I need to improve on. Then next summer I'll get to work on them."

__________________________________________________ ________________________

That is it from the 2003 SI NBA preview issue.

I just hope he's working like that this summer. Also thought it would be nice to read something really positive about Troy Murphy and I know for a fact a few of you really became big fans of Murphy after his second season in the league.

Ragnar
08-01-2007, 08:35 AM
And here several years latter he is a complete basketball player :blush:

Skaut_Ech
08-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the article. If you guys go back over my past posts, I've given a little history on Troy and his NBA career. I'm made no bones about the fact that he's one of my favorite players on the team. As I've said before, I think Troy plays the "right way."

Yes, he has his defensive shortcomings, but I think once he has an established role, I think he'll be a productive, valuable player. This guy has been jerked around since he came into the league. "We want you to play center...no Forward...no center." "We want you to become a mid-range shooter..no, make that low post...no wait, we want you to be our boards crasher, let the other guys shoot." "Okay, you're our #1 scoring option with the second unit, not wait, change that." The guy has never had a set role and a coach who plays to his specific skills set.

His injuries messed with his head quite a bit and I think it took a while to learn to not play with a certain bit of fear. Some of you need to look at what the guys has been through injury-wise. It's easy and lazy to make a snap acessment on the guy based on his time as a Pacer. I know most of you haven'tt followed GS, from the posts I've read over the years. I have.While it will be interesting to see how he does with a new coach and system, it's yet another new coach and new system.

I don't mean to be an apologist for him, but I think he gets far to severe a rap on here. The guy is never going to be a strong defender. His footwork is simply far too slow, but if he learns to block out better and grasp the offense better, I think he'll be a valuable asset off the bench as a first player substitution.

Unclebuck
08-01-2007, 08:52 AM
I will acknowledge that the coaches he had at Golden State were either not very good, or asked him to completely change his game - usually for the worst.

In OB's offensive and defensive systems, Murph is going to have a real chance to excel. He won't be left on "an island " trying to guard Sheed, he will be allowed to do his thing on offense - so there is no reason to think he won't have a very good season. And I for one am giving him a clean slate to start things off. Impress me Murph

naptown
08-01-2007, 09:54 AM
....... I know for a fact a few of you really became big fans of Murphy after his second season in the league.

I have been a fan of Troys since his Notre Dame days. I never felt he was the next coming but I have always felt he would be a solid pro. And anyone who is objective would have to say he has been just that. He certainly has his faults, but overall he has been a solid rebounder and decent shooter. If you ask me he has panned out pretty well for 14th overall pick. Not a bust by any means.

ChicagoJ
08-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Wasn't Fred Jones a 14 pick?

By the middle of the first round, its a crapshoot.

The Troy/ Sheed thing scarred a lot of us, but I expect a Troy Murphy revival under Jim O'Brien.

He won't ever earn that contract, but he'll get a lot closer to it.

Hicks
08-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Preach it! :sunshine:

bellisimo
08-01-2007, 11:20 AM
it was positive...back in the day...
but to see that he hasn't really changed much since that transition of his...
well that puts a damper on my sunny mood...

Moses
08-01-2007, 11:54 AM
:sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine::sunshine:

Evan_The_Dude
08-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I will acknowledge that the coaches he had at Golden State were either not very good, or asked him to completely change his game - usually for the worst.

Not to knock O'Brien, because I think he's going to be a good coach for us, ut I have to ask. As of now, what makes Jim O'Brien any better than the coaches Troy played for in Golden State?

rexnom
08-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm willing to give Troy a chance. I always liked him playing next to JO. I am totally willing to go into next season with Danny-JO-Troy as our starting front court...mostly because I'm pretty sure that that's what's going to happen...

DisapointedPacerFan
08-01-2007, 01:01 PM
I think i will give Troy a chance here under O'Brien. I hope he can put up close to double-figures night in and night out, then i think we should trade him by the deadline cause his contract just gets heavier and heavier.

avoidingtheclowns
08-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Not to knock O'Brien, because I think he's going to be a good coach for us, ut I have to ask. As of now, what makes Jim O'Brien any better than the coaches Troy played for in Golden State?

well i think its fairly safe to say that obrien is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better NBA coach than montgomery or musselman. so the argument is really "what makes obrien any better than nelson?" the answer there is that he might not have to be better than nelson - rather it might not matter which coach is better or more accomplished, etc... nelson gave up on murphy (and dunleavy and ike) fairly quickly and i tend to believe he destroyed his (their) confidence. nelson wanted a lightening fast "out-run/score you so we don't have to worry about playing defense" and these players didn't fit his concept. obrien coaches 3pt shooting getting into an offense quickly but not mistake-filled execution AND coaches the importance of defense (with harter). so just having a coach for a full year and not having to worry about learning a new system immediately and having a clearly defined roll may be enough.

CableKC
08-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I think it has been mentioned here before....but I think that all those broken nose injuries and even the injuries that kept him out for extended periods of time when he was a Warrior...has really affected him on a mental level...where he became less physical in the low-post and therefore wandering out more to the perimeter for his offense.

Does anyone know if he was always a Mid-range/high-post perimeter oriented PF when he came into the league?

or

Was he less of one when he started and then shifted more ( on the offensive end ) to the perimeter once he started getting injured?

If he isn't moved anytime soon....does anyone else think that Murphy will become the Antoine Walker version of the Pacers for JO'B?

I'm not talking about JO'B transforming Murphy into an All-Star :laugh:, I'm talking about JO'B using Murphy primarily as a guy that spreads the offense from the perimeter while throwing up 3pt shots ( just like how he used Antoine Walker when he was a Celtic ).

LoneGranger33
08-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Is Murphy going to start shimmying as well? If so, my loyalty to this team will never be stronger.

rexnom
08-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Is Murphy going to start shimmying as well? If so, my loyalty to this team will never be stronger.
I am very pro-shimmy. For example, how much more excited about Shawne Williams would you be if he added a shimmy after each three? I would start calling him an all-star and demanding only top-five lottery picks for him in trades. Obviously, when you shimmy, you've got it. I don't know what it is but he would definitely have it.

d_c
08-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Murphy (and Dunleavy) definitely worked hard when he was with the Warriors. That was never a question.

Hell, both those guys were favorites of Chris Mullin. Mullin liked that they were hard workers in the gym. He saw something in them that reminded him of himself when he was a younger player. They really bonded and had a good relationship because of it.

And that was a big factor in Mullin giving them really big contracts BEFORE each of them hit their 4th season.

To answer Cable_KC's question, Murphy in his 1st two years in the league was a solid 12-15 foot jumpshooter who could put the ball on the floor and go to the bucket. He was never a very good passer and had zero post game but was still an offensive threat the other team had to respect. If he had a running start, he could dunk on guys (big dunk on Dale Davis as a rookie).

The Warriors made the mistake of trying to bulk up Murphy and turn him into a more heavy duty PF/C who could also shoot the 3. Basically Brad Miller 2.0. They should have just stuck to what he was good at: a 25 minutes a game PF who could hit the mid range shot and use that as a threat to occassionally drive to the bucket.

His added bulk really didn't make him stronger around the basket. Offensively, he became worse as an inside scorer because he lost lift. He still had zero post game. He started getting his shot rejected by SFs/SGs because he could barely get off the ground. And the added bulk has been a big part of his foot/achilles problems. His game actually moved further and further away from the bucket as he bulked up.

I don't know how well he can play in JOB's system. It's a fast paced system. If he has a good year shooting the 3, then he can obviously be successful.

The main problem I see with Murphy in JOB's system is his stamina (always been a problem). No matter how much training he goes through, he's just very much a below average athlete who can't play at a high pace for long periods. He's no Shawn Marion, not just in terms of athleticism, but stamina. He injuries certainly haven't helped.

But there were times (during the season after the all-star break) with the W's where Murphy would have his hands on his knees in the 1st quarter of games. Dude looked gassed and hung over at all times. He just really wore down as the season went on. I don't think he can perform at his peak level for an entire season if you play him more than 30 minutes. He's just simply not that kind of athlete.

Certain aspects of JOB's system can certainly benefit Murphy. Others I'm a little more leary of.

JayRedd
08-01-2007, 02:56 PM

This is a fantastic link for shimmy fans everywhere:

http://nbasource.blogspot.com/2005/08/oh-places-antoines-shimmy-will-go.html

And, even though this video is a little less shimmy-heavy than I had hoped, I'm posting because A) there are 3 of the best ever Toine dances starting at the 3:20 mark, B) the fact that it should be subtitled "Toine and Paul **** on the Pacers," and C) it's a great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMoUXZxVipQ

(P.S. Is there a reason YouTube embeds don't work anymore?)

ChicagoJ
08-01-2007, 03:26 PM
dc,

Great comments. I personally see Murphy in a sixth-man role, the fact that he doesn't seem capable of logging 30+ mpg over 82 games being one of the major factors.

Foster, of course, is the same way. Once he's over 24 mpg, his effectiveness dwindles fast.

The parts of JO'B's system that don't work for Murphy need to be minimized, that means he'll be counted on for instant offense and then he'll sit back down. If it works, by midseason someone will try to extrapolate his "per-48's" and claim he needs more playing time. And somebody else will point to his salary and claim that he needs to play more minutes to earn it. PD is easier to predict than the Pacers.

My biggest concern is Murphy's oft-broken nose. You can see how tentative he is now.

LoneGranger33
08-01-2007, 03:39 PM
:laugh: Thank you for that first link. Now I really want 'Toine on the Pacers just to see what MR can do with him.

LoneGranger33
08-01-2007, 03:49 PM
My biggest concern is Murphy's oft-broken nose. You can see how tentative he is now.

Why can't this dude become the tall, white Rip Hamilton already? Rip got so much better after that mask...

pwee31
08-01-2007, 05:02 PM
The more I sit and let the end of last season get further away from my mind, the more optimistic I get. I was one of those guys that felt the coaching staff was the problem last year. Carlisle was too x's and o's, never really showed passion or emotion, and didn't see to have control of the team. Chuck Person was the defensive coach and there was a reason he was called the Rifleman instead of the Stop Sign.

We now have a REAL defense coach in Harter and a head coach in O'Brien who has gotten the best out of his players, so I think we're already better.

I think Diener is a better backup PG then DA or Mcleod. I believe Rush will surprise A LOT of people. Quis who was coming into his own should be back healthy. That's like 3 key acquisitions. JO is going to be JO, Foster is gonna do what he does.

And then it comes down to if O'Brien can get the best out of our players, like he did out of his Philly and Boston teams. If he can do that.... we'll be a really good team.

We all feel that Danny, Shawne, and Ike are the future.. if he can get them to a new level... LOOK OUT! Dunleavy and Murphy are still pretty young with potential to tap in my eyes, with confidence, playing time, and being comfy with the new style and team, knowing they will be on the floor with others pulling for them.... LOOK OUT!

Then there's MEL MEL. I think a lot of us have grown tired of his antics, but that will quickly be erased if the off court actions improve, and the PG that we all hoped and thought you could be, is brought out by this style and coaching staff.

Let all the media and other fans dog us, and put us down, even let some of the Pacer fans who are down on the team doubt us. But if you have the slightest bit of sunshine left... keep it, b/c this team isn't as bad as they may seem.

I'm sure there were jazz and raptors fans who weren't the least bit surprised when there teams came around last year.

Hicks
08-01-2007, 05:06 PM
This is a fantastic link for shimmy fans everywhere:

http://nbasource.blogspot.com/2005/08/oh-places-antoines-shimmy-will-go.html

And, even though this video is a little less shimmy-heavy than I had hoped, I'm posting because A) there are 3 of the best ever Toine dances starting at the 3:20 mark, B) the fact that it should be subtitled "Toine and Paul **** on the Pacers," and C) it's a great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMoUXZxVipQ

(P.S. Is there a reason YouTube embeds don't work anymore?)

They've always worked. Use the [*yt] (minus the *) tag and only include the video code (such as, in that last link, "NMoUXZxVipQ".

NMoUXZxVipQ

Graham Mernatsi
08-01-2007, 07:00 PM
1) Acknowledge your weekness
I stopped reading right here. If a supposedly knowledgeable journalist can't even be bothered to run a spellchecker to find out if he misspelled "weekness" then I'm not sure I really value his opinion that much.

EDIT: I mean, :arrgh:

Evan_The_Dude
08-01-2007, 07:04 PM
The more I sit and let the end of last season get further away from my mind, the more optimistic I get. I was one of those guys that felt the coaching staff was the problem last year. Carlisle was too x's and o's, never really showed passion or emotion, and didn't see to have control of the team. Chuck Person was the defensive coach and there was a reason he was called the Rifleman instead of the Stop Sign.

We now have a REAL defense coach in Harter and a head coach in O'Brien who has gotten the best out of his players, so I think we're already better.

I think Diener is a better backup PG then DA or Mcleod. I believe Rush will surprise A LOT of people. Quis who was coming into his own should be back healthy. That's like 3 key acquisitions. JO is going to be JO, Foster is gonna do what he does.

And then it comes down to if O'Brien can get the best out of our players, like he did out of his Philly and Boston teams. If he can do that.... we'll be a really good team.

We all feel that Danny, Shawne, and Ike are the future.. if he can get them to a new level... LOOK OUT! Dunleavy and Murphy are still pretty young with potential to tap in my eyes, with confidence, playing time, and being comfy with the new style and team, knowing they will be on the floor with others pulling for them.... LOOK OUT!

Then there's MEL MEL. I think a lot of us have grown tired of his antics, but that will quickly be erased if the off court actions improve, and the PG that we all hoped and thought you could be, is brought out by this style and coaching staff.

Let all the media and other fans dog us, and put us down, even let some of the Pacer fans who are down on the team doubt us. But if you have the slightest bit of sunshine left... keep it, b/c this team isn't as bad as they may seem.

I'm sure there were jazz and raptors fans who weren't the least bit surprised when there teams came around last year.

Whoa whoa there sunshine, slow down. That is WAY too much optimism in one post. None of that allowed here!

;)

Hicks
08-01-2007, 07:22 PM
I stopped reading right here. If a supposedly knowledgeable journalist can't even be bothered to run a spellchecker to find out if he misspelled "weekness" then I'm not sure I really value his opinion that much.

Did it ever occur to you that UB is probably transcribing this from a printed article? Notice there is no URL.

madison
08-01-2007, 07:51 PM
The fact that a positive article about Murph is four years old pretty much says it all.

Unclebuck
08-01-2007, 07:56 PM

LOL.

Sorry, that was my typo, I just got it straight from SI from 4 years ago, I transcribed it myself.

LoneGranger33
08-01-2007, 07:58 PM
You have four-year old copies of Sports Illustrated at hand? I applaud you sir.

Unclebuck
08-01-2007, 08:04 PM
You have four-year old copies of Sports Illustrated at hand? I applaud you sir.

I usually don't, but I just found this a couple of days ago (Lebron's rookie season) And I was just glancing through it and saw an article about Troy that I enjoyed reading, so I thought I would transcribe it for all you fine folks

LoneGranger33
08-01-2007, 08:09 PM
I usually don't, but I just found this a couple of days ago (Lebron's rookie season) And I was just glancing through it and saw an article about Troy that I enjoyed reading, so I thought I would transcribe it for all you fine folks

Well it's certainly always appreciated. Especially given the slow news...summer.

Anthem
08-01-2007, 10:03 PM
The fact that a positive article about Murph is four years old pretty much says it all.
Ouch.

JayRedd
08-01-2007, 10:09 PM

You are a hero.

Half the time when I find an NBA thing I enjoy reading on the Internet that day, I think, "Hey I should post this on PD." Then the next thought that goes through my head is "Hey look, a sandwich!!!" and I lose interest.

Naptown_Seth
08-01-2007, 11:18 PM
The more I sit and let the end of last season get further away from my mind, the more optimistic I get.
Pull up the Tivo list, pop on a game from March, that dose of reality will take care of that nagging sunshine problem.

Coaching isn't the issue. Maybe there was a mismatch in this case, but it also existed in the up-tempo Warriors style. You think Nellie just wanted to lose or was so stupid that he didn't realize he needed to be playing Troy, Dun and Ike all the time???

I mean this is one I have to call out Mal on, you keep saying "do you think JOB is dumb?" when someone like me expresses concerns over how his style will mesh with this roster. Well Nellie's system wasn't working with these guys and he just benched them, was he dumb? I mean he did pull off one of the biggest first round upsets that was either due to his coaching against COY Avery or it was due to Jackson being a superstar...I'm pretty sure you side with the coaching angle.

Is it wrong to worry that TWO strong coaches both ended up shifting Troy to the bench more once they saw his game in action? And part of the problem for both Nellie and Rick is that you need someone on the court, so at some point even if they aren't fitting what you want to do you still must play them.

I can certainly see how JOB fits better with Troy than Rick did and I can see that Troy could have a better season. He shot lights out from 3 and if JOB means Troy takes 7 3PA a night at 40% then I say bring it on. But I also saw the actual physical ability and skill set of Troy (and the rest of the Pacers) and they had talent gaps that were pretty costly.

To me the Pacers looked overmatched in talent nearly every night after Quis went out injured. I rarely felt "if only they'd exploit X instead of Y they could win this". I usually felt like the other team was peeling away the facade and by the end of the game the team was exposed as undertalented.

I'm pinning nearly all my hopes on Dun and Troy really improving their own games, independent of JOB, and on Rush living up to his potential impact as a 38% 3pt guy putting up 5-6 attempts a night and going off the dribble at least somewhat like Jackson (maybe without some of the sloppy TOs).

Robertmto
08-03-2007, 02:56 AM
...no thank you.

naptownmenace
08-03-2007, 09:23 AM
I like Troy, always have since his days at ND. I really think he would be well served to focus more on his mid-range game. He's money from 18 feet and in and he can really take the heat off of JO down low if we used him in the high post instead of just standing out at the 3pt line all of the time.

I also think he, just like JO, should work to drop about 10 - 15 lbs this summer to take some of the stress off his ankles and feet. It would probably increase his stamina and lateral movement as well.

I think he'll have a better season this year than he did last season If he can drop a little weight and stay healthy. Two big "ifs" but I think he's a better player than what he showed last season.