PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's trade machine now tells you if a team has a TE

Hicks
07-31-2007, 10:46 AM
That's a nice addition.

I was fiddling with it a minute ago, and underneath our players I saw the following:

Unsigned Draft Picks [+]
Available Trade Exceptions [+]
Cash Compensation [+]

Clicking on the [+] reveals the specifics.

In this case, it lists Sarunas Jasikevicius and a total of $4,000,000. Interesting.

Kegboy
07-31-2007, 11:07 AM
That is a nice feature. Too bad we'll never use it.

Anthem
07-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Man, the salaries and the Web2.0 nature of ESPN's checker already made it better than RealGMs, but that's the nail in the coffin.

Hicks
07-31-2007, 11:19 AM
The next step is to remove having to click to see if it works entirely. Show us on the fly with AJAX (what I assume they're using now if not java or flash) if the trade works going by the players currently checked, including the total salary information (outgoing, incoming, difference from before to after in total salary). Leave the button in just to present the nice-looking summary of the deal at the end. Just let us know right up front if it works so we can keep tinkering without going back and forth.

It's all been on my mind for a while. If I had the technical skills (not to mention access to the salaries), I'd have made one for PD a long time ago. 'Just not in my range.

Naptown_Seth
07-31-2007, 11:50 AM
I hadn't messed with it before, didn't realize it was so nice. I like that if a player fits the TE slot the other team has you instantly get the option of putting him that instead. It also shows the 30 day and 3 month trade restrictions on rookies/free agents and spells out the base year compenstation restriction fairly well.

I wonder if ESPN or RealGM pass on the hot trades that fans are picking in order to generate stories or sometimes let GMs know what fans want. Not that they should do what fans want exactly, but you could at least peak at what might sell tickets or fail to do so at the other extreme.

FlavaDave
07-31-2007, 03:23 PM
That is a nice feature. Too bad we'll never use it.

Who, the Pacers? Al Harrington?

Kegboy
07-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Who, the Pacers? Al Harrington?

I meant the Cabbage exception. If, according to Conrad, we can't even afford to sign a min player, we won't take on that kind of salary.

FlavaDave
08-01-2007, 08:40 AM
I meant the Cabbage exception. If, according to Conrad, we can't even afford to sign a min player, we won't take on that kind of salary.

I see. I thought you were implying that the Pacers didn't have a history of using exceptions.

The Cabbage Exception sounds like a hippy jam band.

sixthman
08-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Man, the salaries and the Web2.0 nature of ESPN's checker already made it better than RealGMs, but that's the nail in the coffin.

RealGM's trade checker took into account trade exceptions all last season.