PDA

View Full Version : Kenny not sure when or if he will play in a Pacer uniform...

Ragnar
01-27-2004, 07:24 AM
Anderson waits for return
Point guard, who started early in season, is back from injury but can't get back in lineup.

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com
January 27, 2004

Kenny Anderson can play, wants to play and thinks he will play again for the Indiana Pacers.

But the former starting point guard, who has been sidelined since Dec. 23 with a sore left knee that has completely healed, isn't ready to makes waves.

http://www.indystar.com/images/pics2/image-115162-2494.jpg

And he's certainly not about to request a trade.

"I just have to wait," Anderson said Monday after talking congenially with coach Rick Carlisle for about 30 minutes after practice. "I'd rather be waiting here than anywhere else. If I was on a miserable team or a team playing for nothing, with my years of experience in the league I wouldn't want to do that. I'm in a great situation. So it's wait and see.

"I would never (ask for a trade). If that's what they want to do, but I don't see that happening. I don't give nobody problems."

Anderson started the first 28 games in which he played this season, averaging 6.5 points and 3.1 assists. Jamaal Tinsley has started the past 12, averaging 6.8 points and 4.8 assists.

Anderson is likely to replace Jamison Brewer on the active roster at some point of the season.

But which point?

It's a delicate issue for Carlisle and Anderson, who forged a strong relationship when they were together for four seasons in New Jersey, Carlisle as a young assistant coach and Anderson as a starting point guard breaking into the league.

When Anderson returns, he could become the No. 3 point guard if Tinsley and Anthony Johnson are healthy.

"Rick has a tough situation," Anderson said. "It's his first year here, he inherited a deep team and he brought me in and he started me. That took some (guts) to do.

"Me, I've been in this business long enough to know I have to wait and be patient. I just have to be professional and stay mentally ready."

Artest misses practice

Ron Artest flew to New York on Monday to have his hand examined.

Team officials had no report of the outcome of his meeting with the doctor who operated on his hand when he was in college at St. John's, but Carlisle was optimistic after talking with Artest on Sunday.

Artest injured his left thumb in a game at New Jersey on Jan. 17.

Pollard returns

Scot Pollard rejoined the Pacers for Monday's practice after sitting out the past two games with a stomach virus.

Pollard, who shaved his face and head during his absence, had worked his way back into the playing rotation at the time of his illness. He had played double-figure minutes in five of the six games before Friday's game against Houston after not playing in six of the previous eight.

Pollard, the Pacers' heaviest player at 265 pounds, might have been helpful in the weekend losses to Houston and Washington.

"There's no doubt he would have helped us the last two games, but injuries are part of this," Carlisle said.

Coat drive continues

Jonathan Bender is co-hosting a coat drive that continues tonight at the Galyan's store in Greenwood.

Fans can donate new or slightly worn winter coats from 5-7 p.m. Bender will appear from 5:30-6:30 p.m., and will give away tickets for Wednesday's game against Phoenix to those donating coats.