PDA

View Full Version : Lakers interested in JC Navarro?

Smashed_Potato
07-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Thought this was interesting

Lakers are already stacked at the PG position in a big way so the fact that "IF" they are interested in him now than a trade might be in the works involving one of our potential point-guards.

Lakers Trying To Get In On Navarro
Washington Post -
Ernie Grunfeld continues to field offers for guard Juan Carlos Navarro, who recently negotiated out of his contract with FC Barcelona of the Spanish pro league. Barcelona informed Grunfeld that he has until the end of the week to trade Navarro. If a trade is not worked out, Barcelona will retain Navarro and his buyout with the team will go from $2 million to $14 million.

Miami is one of at least eight teams to express interest in Navarro but will likely drop out of negotiations after signing guard Smush Parker on Friday. According to a report, Parker's former team, the Los Angeles Lakers , could have interest in Navarro.

LINK] (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47378/20070729/lakers_trying_to_get_in_on_navarro/)

Y2J
07-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't mind the Pacers getting in on Navarro trade talks. He has Washington by the b*lls, so he should come cheap. I'd consider Harrison for J.C.N's rights and a 2nd round pick.

CableKC
07-29-2007, 08:01 PM
We're talking about a Euro Point Guard that everyone is interested in......how can the Pacers....or specifically Bird...not be one of the 8 teams that are intersted in him?

rexnom
07-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Wait...why won't he play for Washington...and then why would he play for us?

eldubious
07-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Thought this was interesting

Lakers are already stacked at the PG position in a big way so the fact that "IF" they are interested in him now than a trade might be in the works involving one of our potential point-guards.

A trade is coming, or the Lakers are taking small ball to a whole different level.

Robertmto
07-30-2007, 02:56 AM
Wait...why won't he play for Washington...and then why would he play for us?

He doesn't want to play behind a superstar.

Eindar
07-30-2007, 06:51 AM

No problems here! We don't have ANY superstars, so he can pick his position :)

Indyboy
07-30-2007, 08:06 AM

Article from ESPN says that he won't be a Wizard simply because they are over the cap!
I for one hope that TPTB takes a shot at him.....

naptownmenace
07-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Article from ESPN says that he won't be a Wizard simply because they are over the cap!
I for one hope that TPTB takes a shot at him.....

I think that JCN would ultimately start for the Pacers. He's quick, he can shoot, and he can slash to the basket.

However, the Pacers probably have no chance of getting him because we don't have anything Washington would want and Navarro is probably goinng to want at least 3 mill to start with since he has to pay 2 million to his Barcelona team in a buyout. If Washington waives him, I could see the Pacers seriously considering signing him.

Gyron
07-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Here's a question, if you have to pay a buyout on a player coming from Europe or such, does that count against your cap numbers?

Y2J
07-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Wizards either trade him or lose hims for nothing. With that in mind, the asking price couldn't be much at all. I'd offer Harrison for J.C.N.'s rights and a future 2nd. That's only if the Pacers management has completely given up hope on Harrison.

LoneGranger33
07-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't think there's any way we get this guy, considering how the Sarunas experiment panned out and that we just signed our franchise's savior.

Y2J
08-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Apparently this guy is going to the Grizzlies. I got it off of RealGM, and it came from a couple of Spanish news sites..

http://www.marca.com/
http://www.elmundo.es/

No report yet on what Memphis is giving Washington in return. This should keep Pau Gasol happy, and if he's as good as advertised, Rudy Gay takes a step forward, and Gasol stays healthy, the Grizzlies could be a sleeper.

blanket
08-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Apparently this guy is going to the Grizzlies. I got it off of RealGM, and it came from a couple of Spanish news sites..

http://www.marca.com/
http://www.elmundo.es/

No report yet on what Memphis is giving Washington in return. This should keep Pau Gasol happy, and if he's as good as advertised, Rudy Gay takes a step forward, and Gasol stays healthy, the Grizzlies could be a sleeper.

A future #1 is what I heard.

avoidingtheclowns
08-03-2007, 05:39 PM
they too are stacked at PG with damon, lowry and conley. interesting move. i wonder if lowry could be available...

Robertmto
08-03-2007, 10:54 PM
The deal is done. He's goin to the Grizz. Future picks in return.

NPFII
08-04-2007, 04:05 AM
they too are stacked at PG with damon, lowry and conley. interesting move. i wonder if lowry could be available...

Navarro's NOT a PG. He's a small SG.

His game is most comparable to ... Reggie Miller, IMO (though JJ Redick is probably more accurate). Great shooter, can put the ball on the floor, has a nasty mid-range floater, and a whole lot of other tricks, can flop his way to the line with the best of them, and has no defense. Rebounding and assists are not in his lexicon. He can get emotional, but generally in a good way.

Unless he wins over the starting SG spot, which he wont - he'll have a hard time staying on the floor with his lack of defense. There's no way he can guard even the average SGs in the league, let alone the good ones.

Memphis made some good moves - Iavaroni, Conley, Darko, and now Navarro. Pau's healthy and happy, and they're gonna run and gun faster than you can say "Warriors" with Conley/Lowry, Miller/Navarro, Gay, Pau, Darko. They'll still be bottom-feeders, though... and they'll miss Shane Battier even more.

Anthem
08-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Agree that they'll miss Battier, but they may be able to run the offense through Mike Miller.

Regardless, I'm just glad to see the Lakers lose out.

Gyron
08-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Here's a question, if you have to pay a buyout on a player coming from Europe or such, does that count against your cap numbers?
Anybody know the answer to this? Just curious.

DisplacedKnick
08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Navarro's NOT a PG. He's a small SG.

His game is most comparable to ... Reggie Miller, IMO (though JJ Redick is probably more accurate). Great shooter, can put the ball on the floor, has a nasty mid-range floater, and a whole lot of other tricks, can flop his way to the line with the best of them, and has no defense. Rebounding and assists are not in his lexicon. He can get emotional, but generally in a good way.

Unless he wins over the starting SG spot, which he wont - he'll have a hard time staying on the floor with his lack of defense. There's no way he can guard even the average SGs in the league, let alone the good ones.

Yeah, but this is Memphis - they were far and away the worst defensive team in the league last season. JC might even qualify as a defensive stopper with that club.

He'll get his chance.

Purple & Gold
08-07-2007, 02:33 AM

No it doesn't, but you can't pay his buyout and then pay his salary and consider them separately. His buyout would have to be paid with the money in his salary.

For example if a players buyout is $2 Million and you're paying him the MLE at $5 Million, then in reality you're only paying him $3 Million (at least for one year). So you pay him his salary and he takes care of the buyout himself. It's not separate, it's all included in the salary. It's up to the player to negotiate with the team on how to pay the buyout. So in essence the NBA doesn't really even acknowledge the buyout clauses. It's a player issue.

Of course this can be manipulated with outside forces like shoe companies and what not paying the buyouts if players go to certain teams. (big markets, etc.)

able
08-07-2007, 05:23 AM
No it doesn't, but you can't pay his buyout and then pay his salary and consider them separately. His buyout would have to be paid with the money in his salary.

For example if a players buyout is $2 Million and you're paying him the MLE at $5 Million, then in reality you're only paying him $3 Million (at least for one year). So you pay him his salary and he takes care of the buyout himself. It's not separate, it's all included in the salary. It's up to the player to negotiate with the team on how to pay the buyout. So in essence the NBA doesn't really even acknowledge the buyout clauses. It's a player issue.

Of course this can be manipulated with outside forces like shoe companies and what not paying the buyouts if players go to certain teams. (big markets, etc.)

No NBA team is allowed to participate in paying for the "buy-out" for more then 500 thousand dollar.
anything more has to be taken care of by the player himself, not sponsors, sponsors paying for that stuff is against CBA rules, a player can of course get an endorsement and use his pay form that for the pay-out, but again the players has to take care of it himself.

according to CBA.