PDA

View Full Version : The bunny with some hard-hitting investigative reporting on Refgate

Kegboy
07-28-2007, 10:52 AM
:eyebrow2:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070728/SPORTS04/707280461/1247/SPORTS

Referee's Pacers call suspect
<!--PRINTER FRIENDLY ARTICLE-->
By Mark Montieth
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--document.write(''+'mark.montieth'+'@'+'indystar.co m'+' (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/+)');//--></SCRIPT>mark.montieth@indystar.com (mark.montieth@indystar.com)
July 28, 2007

Questioning the judgment and competence of basketball referees is as old as the game itself.

Now, however, in the wake of allegations linking NBA referee Tim Donaghy to gamblers, their credibility will be suspect as well.

Regardless of how the Donaghy case is resolved, the perception of possible corruption likely will linger.

Several of Donaghy's calls over the past two years, when he allegedly cooperated with gamblers, could arouse suspicion -- including one in a game between the Indiana Pacers and San Antonio Spurs on Feb. 12, 2006.

The Pacers had just taken an 86-81 lead on Stephen Jackson's 3-pointer in the final 90 seconds. With the fans at Conseco Fieldhouse buzzing in anticipation of an upset, a shrill, staccato whistle stopped the proceedings. Donaghy had called a defensive three seconds violation on Anthony Johnson.

"Ahhhh, no!" Pacers radio commentator Bob Leonard exclaimed. "What a call at this time of the game!"

Manu Ginobili hit the penalty free throw and then, on the ensuing possession, nailed a 3-pointer from nearly 30 feet away off a broken play to bring the Spurs within a point.

The memory of Donaghy's call was still haunting Pacers coach Rick Carlisle after the game as he replayed the moment in his office.

"The illegal defense was really a tough call," he said. "And I watched it three times and I think the guy (Donaghy) is going to regret calling it."
Without question, several factors beyond Donaghy's call influenced the outcome of that game, as the Pacers failed to protect their one-point lead in the final minute. But conspiracy theorists could find evidence of foul play -- or foul whistles -- if they wanted.

The spread for that game was five points. The Spurs failed to cover, winning by four, but was Donaghy trying to aid their cause? Replays show the defensive three seconds call on Johnson was a quick whistle, and it was questionable whether he had both feet in the foul lane.

Beyond that, Tim Duncan appeared to get away with a defensive three seconds call on the Pacers' possession after Ginobili's 3-pointer, when Jackson drove the lane and drew a foul.

Two seasons ago, all that was forgotten by the next game.

If a similar scenario unfolded next season, it could be viewed more suspiciously.

Already, Donaghy's work over the past two seasons has come under scrutiny. One sports handicapper in Las Vegas, J.R. Bell of Pregame .com, found 13 games Donaghy refereed last season that finished within one point of the spread.

"From now on, fans will be a little more aware of what referees are doing," said Johnson, who only vaguely remembered Donaghy's call against him two seasons ago. "It's not a good time to be a referee, but this will only make the NBA game better. Once the backlash is over and the negative feelings spill out, every thing will be back to normal."

Pacers forward Danny Granger said he has found the officiating to be better than he expected when he entered the league, and has never suspected a referee of having a financial interest in a game.

"We get too caught up in the game," he said. "Whenever you go to another team's arena, you always think the refs are going to make more calls for them, but I've never sincerely thought, 'This ref is paid off. He's fixing the game.'

"This puts a big hit on the integrity of the sport, but I think they'll clean it up."

One step, Johnson said, would be to hold referees more publicly accountable for their mistakes. They can be fined or suspended for poor performances, but the league does not release that information as it does with players and coaches.

"I felt that way before all this came out," Johnson said. "When players mess up, when coaches mess up, it's public information. (Referees) should be held to the same standard as anyone else. Sometimes I wonder how come they get a free pass."

Those free passes will be hard to come by for a while.

:bunny:

Kegboy
07-28-2007, 10:53 AM
One step, Johnson said, would be to hold referees more publicly accountable for their mistakes. They can be fined or suspended for poor performances, but the league does not release that information as it does with players and coaches.

"I felt that way before all this came out," Johnson said. "When players mess up, when coaches mess up, it's public information. (Referees) should be held to the same standard as anyone else. Sometimes I wonder how come they get a free pass."

QFT

grace
07-28-2007, 10:55 AM
If Anthony's quote doesn't prove he reads PD (and steals Kegboy's ideas) I don't know what does.

Bball
07-28-2007, 11:27 AM
I imagine the reason they don't release ref info is because (if they really graded with a fine tooth comb) it could make even competent refs look bad to the public who'd take things out of proportion (or that would be the league's fear).

But, that issue has pretty much been trumped now. I don't see how they can operate with that information kept behind the magic curtain much longer.

On another note, and I've wanted to say this since the beginning, the problem is the WWF (or WWE as the case may be these days) nature of the game. The refs simply need to call a balanced game without any preconcieved ideas of favortism. They are human and they might give a Jordan the benefit of the doubt on a travel call, but to allow obvious travels where everyone in the arena knows it was a travel, allow fouls to go uncalled or use a quicker whistle for lesser players, etc and for whatever reason they want to ascribe to it, must cease.

It would have an affect on the stars of the game, certainly, but it would (IMHO) have a positive impact on the GAME itself and how it's played. The stars would adjust as would any better players. Of course, if it's athleticism (360 dunks, flying bocks, hanging off the rim, posing, etc) that current fans want to see, then making the GAME better might not satisfy these fans.

But it's my opinion the GAME should be first anyway and if the game can't sustain itself without 'star treatment' then someone (Stern) let the genie out of the bottle and created a Frankenstein. IOW, marketing went too far into the starmaker realm until we have out of control salaries and ticket prices and the WWF/WWE state we are headed toward.

-Bball

Los Angeles
07-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Let's start by calling ANY travel according the the rules. Just one is all I ask. Plus, if the coaches were to have a replay it should only be to contest a flop called as a foul and that's it. If the call was legit, the contesting coach gets a T, if the play is ruled a flop, the player gets a T.

Naptown_Seth
07-28-2007, 12:31 PM
The claim by the head of the refs union is that every guy runs with a 95% accuracy rating or better. If they honestly think that the public is going to turn that into a negative I don't know what to tell them.

My suspicion is that those aren't exactly the true numbers, that there are some numbers that they don't want fans to see. Let's say a couple of guys run 80% when everyone else is 90+, shouldn't they get some scrutiny?

What's wrong with fans harping on them to improve their numbers, doesn't seem to be a problem with the careers of players and coaches. I don't get the "you can't have non-pros judging us", as if NBA fans ARE pro coaches and players and honestly know what plays, strategies and interactions are going on behind closed doors when they decide that "player X doesn't care" or "the coach is an idiot".

Frankly if I were a GOOD ref I'd want my stellar record out in the public more than ever right now. "I get all A's, so maybe STFU Mr. Front Row drunk" would be my response to the idiot hecklers. Fans already sit there and call out all sorts of stupid complaints or bad calls of their own. I've sat by guys that called for 3 seconds EVERY SINGLE POSSESSION.

And now we're going to worry about that guy's opinion when he sees the grades come out? What's he going to do, scream "3 SECONDS!!!" 3 times per possession instead of just once?

Oneal07
07-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I knew that game was Fishy. . Then again, a lot of Close Pacer games are fishy. . .The League is out to get us

Trader Joe
07-28-2007, 12:46 PM
I was at that game. I think for the most part I forgot about the three second call because of how Ginobli shot that prayer in.

GrangerRanger
07-28-2007, 12:57 PM
If I remember right, he also refed at the Pacers - Pistons Brawl of 2004.

Hicks
07-28-2007, 01:07 PM
I was at the game with RGnome. I'd forgotten about that call. I remember the Ginobili shot though.

Pacersin2033
07-28-2007, 02:35 PM
This article reminds me how much I miss AJ. Smart, a solid player, not a thug whats not to like. Why did we trade him for nothing when we needed a PG, oh yeah the ball hogs(Tinsley, Jackson, O'neal) didn't like him.

Hicks
07-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Well, if you want to think of AJ as an angel, keep in mind on 11/19/04 he was pounding one of the fans who came onto the court in the face REPEATEDLY while said fan was on his back.

I'm throwing that out because it's largely forgotten by many, but I never had a serious issue with AJ (off the court) while he was here. Although thinking about what I just recalled, I probably should have.

Kegboy
07-28-2007, 04:31 PM
I have no problem with AJ going after the guy. You come on the court, you're fair game.

Of course, watching The Wire has desensitized me to such things. Blame UB.

GrangerRanger
07-28-2007, 05:32 PM
I like the 40 point outburst against the Nets though. :D

Unclebuck
07-29-2007, 08:23 AM
I have no problem with AJ going after the guy. You come on the court, you're fair game.

Of course, watching The Wire has desensitized me to such things. Blame UB.

Sorry, I didn't intend to corrupt such an innocent as yourself

NPFII
07-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Big deal - so he called illegal defense.
It was still Ginobili who made that prayer shot, god bless his soul.
How can you possibly accuse the ref for that?!

On a side note - maybe we're missing the big picture?
Maybe the NBA is ACTUALLY EXACTLY LIKE THE WWE - FAKE!

Maybe that's why they dont publish ref's gradings?
Maybe that's why we NEVER get to see the actual ping-pong balls on draft night?
Maybe that's why so many games seem to go by screen-play?
Maybe that's why so many calls seem "out of left field"?
Maybe that's why Dirk Nowitzki looks like Ivan Drago?
Maybe that's why there's no team in Vegas?
Maybe that's how David Stern rulez so many years?

Is it so inconceivable that if the "players-actors" get so much money, that they dont even care anymore about the game? They just say the right things, and try to make it a drama, while the outcome is pre-decided in the high-offices. Imagine the NBA office as the #1 better on NBA games in Vegas - is it THAT far-fetched? It can be a whole lot of money if you play it right...

Naaaaah...

Kegboy
07-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Sorry, I didn't intend to corrupt such an innocent as yourself

Well, I've certainly learned never to hit a cop, or swear at him, or look at him, or touch his car, or...

It's too bad the show's on pay cable. Each episode they could have "Today's instance of police brutality was brought to you by Red Stripe. Boo decaying, corrupt social systems, hooray beer!"

JayRedd
07-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Well, I've certainly learned never to hit a cop, or swear at him, or look at him, or touch his car, or...

Good start. You should also never **** off whistling homosexual stick-up men with shotguns.

Kstat
07-29-2007, 06:28 PM
when the hell is season 5 coming out, anyway? It's ****ing me off.

Unclebuck
07-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Good start. You should also never **** off whistling homosexual stick-up men with shotguns.

Omar is the best character on the show.

JayRedd
07-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Indeed.

rexnom
07-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Ok, I need to start watching this show.

Gyron
07-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Ok, I need to start watching this show.

Was it the whistling Homosexual hold-up man with the shot gun that turned you on?

Unclebuck
07-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Was it the whistling Homosexual hold-up man with the shot gun that turned you on?

Everytime

Opps, you weren't asking me

Gyron
07-30-2007, 04:12 PM
What channel does the wire come on? Sounds like I need to DVR for Btown. He needs something to watch when he comes to my house.

JayRedd
07-30-2007, 04:32 PM

All in the game.